Orient beach or Le Galion beach

I'm going to be in St. Maarten in September, and while we are set on visiting Maho in the afternoon, I'm having trouble deciding on going to Orient or Le Galion beach. I've hear Orient is beautiful, however, I've also heard it can be quite rough depending on the weather. I've hear Le Galion is also beautiful, but much calmer. Services such as a restaurant, bathroom and loungers and umbrellas are important to us. I'm concerned about the roughness because I don't know if my Mom could handle the waves if they got to be too much. Any input is greatly appreciated. I'm sure I will have many other questions, so please bear with me :D

I went to both on the same day. On that day at least neither one was that rough, but Le Galion was much smoother. Le Galion looks to be more protected at least in spots. Orient is more open.

Didn't sample the amenities at Le Galion but there is one restaurant with I think everything you need. Orient has a number of businesses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Searching for Le Galion Beach and this old thread came up.

Wondering if anyone has been there lately?

Like to know about the taxi fares.

If you can rent beach chairs / umbrellas?

Is there high winds' date=' read there might be.[/quote']

Not in the past few months, but Le Galion does not change :). The beach and adjacent water are sheltered by being in a natural inlet that has some shallow reefs out towards the sea (far beyond any swimming area) which adds additional shelter from waves. The beach bar/cafe is operated by a French family who maintain a nice small facility with food, drinks, ice cream, bathrooms, etc. They also rent chairs, some umbrellas, and beach/water "toys" although this beach is not any good for snorkeling unless you like to snorkel with a sandy bottom. This is a very safe water environment for a family or those who are not strong swimmers as the drop-off is very gradual. One would probably have to wade out over 100 yards to get over their head. There is a section of the beach under some trees...where one can drag a chair to get partial shade. And the beach bar/restaurant does have a roof (its open on the sides) so you can get out of the sun when eating or drinking (if you so choose).

Here is a link to a great picture of this beach. The small beach bar/cafe is that smallish building to the left of the chairs. There are also some picnic tables behind the beach (mostly used by locals or those of us who might be staying on the island and pack a lunch).

http://www.rumtherapy.com/2013/02/le-galion-beach-st-martin/

The thing about Le Galion is that it does seem like the beach with the calmest safest water on the entire island (we have been to nearly every beach on the island). It is even used by official school groups (they stay in an area away from the beach bar/chairs) for picnics, swimming, etc. The down side of the beach is that the shallow drop-off is a pain for those of us who like to swim in deeper water.. and its lack of a decent snorkel spot. I have tried snorkeling there (we have our own equipment) and although there are some fish...the lack of coral makes it quite boring.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Not in the past few months, but Le Galion does not change :). The beach and adjacent water are sheltered by being in a natural inlet that has some shallow reefs out towards the sea (far beyond any swimming area) which adds additional shelter from waves. The beach bar/cafe is operated by a French family who maintain a nice small facility with food, drinks, ice cream, bathrooms, etc. They also rent chairs, some umbrellas, and beach/water "toys" although this beach is not any good for snorkeling unless you like to snorkel with a sandy bottom. This is a very safe water environment for a family or those who are not strong swimmers as the drop-off is very gradual. One would probably have to wade out over 100 yards to get over their head. There is a section of the beach under some trees...where one can drag a chair to get partial shade. And the beach bar/restaurant does have a roof (its open on the sides) so you can get out of the sun when eating or drinking (if you so choose).

Here is a link to a great picture of this beach. The small beach bar/cafe is that smallish building to the left of the chairs. There are also some picnic tables behind the beach (mostly used by locals or those of us who might be staying on the island and pack a lunch).

http://www.rumtherapy.com/2013/02/le-galion-beach-st-martin/

The thing about Le Galion is that it does seem like the beach with the calmest safest water on the entire island (we have been to nearly every beach on the island). It is even used by official school groups (they stay in an area away from the beach bar/chairs) for picnics, swimming, etc. The down side of the beach is that the shallow drop-off is a pain for those of us who like to swim in deeper water.. and its lack of a decent snorkel spot. I have tried snorkeling there (we have our own equipment) and although there are some fish...the lack of coral makes it quite boring.

Hank

What a wealth of information.

Thank you so much.

Love the link. Beautiful pics.

We are avid snorkelers. So I try to find a beach that offers it.

Just wondering if you've been to Divi Beach?

I think it might have decent snorkeling there.

Dive center right on beach that rents chairs and equipment.

Divi Little Bay has decent snorkeling. As you face water, on left side of bay along rocks.

"French family"? Pat and Tracey Turner are American and Australian - although having lived in St Martin for almost 40 years. Are you talking about another family?

I would recommend shooting an email to them before planning on facilities being open on a day in low season - particularly, August or September - or just checking on status just before you go if you are going some time next year. Pat is under a lot of pressure from the government. I wish him the very best but it is not clear what will happen in the future.

Divi Little Bay has decent snorkeling. As you face water, on left side of bay along rocks.

"French family"? Pat and Tracey Turner are American and Australian - although having lived in St Martin for almost 40 years. Are you talking about another family?

I would recommend shooting an email to them before planning on facilities being open on a day in low season - particularly, August or September - or just checking on status just before you go if you are going some time next year. Pat is under a lot of pressure from the government. I wish him the very best but it is not clear what will happen in the future.

Pressure?

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/61319-turner-if-i-have-an-illegal-business-why-am-i-still-here-after-39-years

gary

Hank

What a wealth of information.

Thank you so much.

Love the link. Beautiful pics.

We are avid snorkelers. So I try to find a beach that offers it.

Just wondering if you've been to Divi Beach?

I think it might have decent snorkeling there.

Dive center right on beach that rents chairs and equipment.

Yes, we are familiar with Little Bay (called Divi Beach by some) which is fine. Personally, we are not impressed with the snorkeling off that beach (mostly sandy bottom) but you will certainly see some fish. The reality of St Maartin is that decent snorkeling off a beach is just not something that exists at the popular spots. Dawn probably has the best reputation for snorkeling (off a beach) but is often not a good choice because of water conditions. Happy Bay is an OK snorkel beach, but is not convenient to cruisers. The best snorkeling would be found by taking a decent boat excursion that takes you to a decent reef.

DW and I love snorkeling and also really like staying on St Maarten. But if snorkeling is our priorty we would choose a different island...such as Bonaire :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner