Best stingray tour for non-swimmers?

newmomryan

Sailing on Freedom of the Seas week of June 26. Our family of 5 would like to do a stingray tour, but two of my children, ages 10 & 13, do not know how to swim and neither do I. I know many operators provide life vests, but wondering if anyone has experienced a company that goes above and beyond to assist with kids and non-swimmers. Tried to book with Acquarius, but they cannot accommodate us based on the ship's arrival time (11:30).

Hi Newmomryan

As CB has said the area where they bring you that is called "stingray city" is a sandbar area that is very shallow. Areas would be as little as 3' deep, so you would not have to swim at all where the stingrays are. Some people wont even get off the boat because you can see them well enough from the deck.

Most of these tours will also go to 2 or three other areas where you can snorkel. This would be in deeper water (aprox.20').

As you are aware they will have life vest and sometimes other flotation devices as well as snorkel equipment for use.

You say you don't know how to swim...is this "can't swim well" or "I have never been in water at all". The crew on these boats are all going to be as helpful as possible. They want you all to have a good time. The bottom line is that you as parents are taking/making a decision of what is safe for your children. Imagine, if a couple of the crew were "looking after", your kids...they wouldn't be able to react promptly if there were an "emergency".

With that being said, if the PFD is worn, and your children are at all comfortable in water that is over their head, they could very easily have a wonderful experience.

I have found that most all of the companies offering services to the cruise industry are very helpful. I would, after satisfying myself with the choices available, call each one of them and see how you feel about their responses. Ultimately, you will have to feel comfortable. Also, just a thought, isn't there anywhere near you where you could get them started the on some swimming lessons.

have a great cruise

I used nativeway 2 years ago and very happy. Private companies booked outside the cruise line have smaller groups so I would also suggest to book on your own. My kids were only 3,5,7 and could not swim but were all fine with the vest and us holding on to them. The water is waist to chest height but the waves move up and down. If you have a vest you just float up with the waves. I have only use nativeway but highly recommend them. It was recommended to me by another cruise who had little kids as well. We did the Stingray/snorkel/starfish tour. For snorkel part only half the group did it, the rest enjoyed the view. For starfish part it is a shallow beach with knee to waist height water where there are starfish everywhere. Our kids loved this. Hope this helps

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Sailing on Freedom of the Seas week of June 26. Our family of 5 would like to do a stingray tour, but two of my children, ages 10 & 13, do not know how to swim and neither do I. I know many operators provide life vests, but wondering if anyone has experienced a company that goes above and beyond to assist with kids and non-swimmers. Tried to book with Acquarius, but they cannot accommodate us based on the ship's arrival time (11:30).

I know you have already booked, so just a little story. We are 2 seniors who did the swim with the sting rays with Captain Marvin. My DW has also never learned how to swim. She will never even dunk her head under the water and will never go in water over her waist. It took a lot of convincing to get her to go on this swim, but she did and loved it. For yourself, you are never in water that will be over waist deep.

And if I may add something and I mean no offense. Your kids should know how to swim. ALL kids should know how to swim. Kids love the water and take to it like little fishes. Maybe, if you have time before this cruise, you can get them swimming lessons. If I am butting into business I have no right to do, I do apologize, but because my DW doesn't swim, we made sure our kids don't grow up afraid of the water.

Cheers

Len

• 1 month later...
I used nativeway 2 years ago and very happy. Private companies booked outside the cruise line have smaller groups so I would also suggest to book on your own. My kids were only 3,5,7 and could not swim but were all fine with the vest and us holding on to them. The water is waist to chest height but the waves move up and down. If you have a vest you just float up with the waves. I have only use nativeway but highly recommend them. It was recommended to me by another cruise who had little kids as well. We did the Stingray/snorkel/starfish tour. For snorkel part only half the group did it, the rest enjoyed the view. For starfish part it is a shallow beach with knee to waist height water where there are starfish everywhere. Our kids loved this. Hope this helps

Thanks! We will be traveling with our 8,6, and 4 year old daughters. This sounds like a good company for us.