Delta Mileage Booster-worthwhile?

Ms Understood

Delta offers "mileage booster" on its booked flights and I have never purchased but wondering if the experts here can offer an opinion if it is worth it? They are offering 3k miles for $59. So on 4 segments i can buy 12k add'l miles for $236. I have lots of miles and not needing anymore for anything in particular but wonder if I am missing an opportunity by passing this up?

Cant get my head wrapped around the math.:confused:

------------------

Helen

The math isn't hard $59/3000=$0.01966666 (same for the other one as well). It is cheaper than just buying from the airline's website (under the "buy miles" section).

As far as if it is "worth it"...only you can decide that. If you are only a few miles away form an award and this offer can get you there then it might be worth it to you. I have taken the offers before (on United and American) and other times i have passed. It all just depended on how many miles I was shot of the next award ticket I wanted to get. (and whether or not the offer would have lowered or raised my current cost per mile of the miles I have/had)

about 2 cents a mile?

Isn't that about the break even point when deciding if to use miles rather than pay cash?

Yes, so many would say this isn't that great of a deal and I'd be inclined to agree.

As far as if it is "worth it"...only you can decide that. If you are only a few miles away form an award and this offer can get you there then it might be worth it to you.

Exactly. To better evaluate, the OP might consider posting the itinerary he's looking at and what the cash price is currently for that ticket.

Evaluations of the worth of SkyPesos have been heading south for a good while. About the only "mile" that is considered to be worth more than two cents are Starpoints from Starwood.

In general, these kinds of "boosters" are worthwhile if you are a bit short of an award redemption, as it lets you use the miles you already have.

I have yet to ever buy a DL booster.

Evaluations of the worth of SkyPesos have been heading south for a good while. About the only "mile" that is considered to be worth more than two cents are Starpoints from Starwood.

In general, these kinds of "boosters" are worthwhile if you are a bit short of an award redemption, as it lets you use the miles you already have.

I have yet to ever buy a DL booster.

Starpoints. 75 points equals $1. Got that calculation in my brain for all the SPG Instant Awards I processed at work. Boggles my brain when a guest wants to pay their bill of $3000 with Starpoints (nice when you paid for the room with points and you spend a boatload on food and incidentals). AND, they still have plenty left :eek:

Bought a DL booster last Spring to grab a few more miles to make next Spring's trip to Europe in business again (I was a few short and more than what I will be able to pick up via flights since I won't be flying again this year). Otherwise, I don't do it.

I believe that may be an internal Starwood metric. I tend to follow the thinking of Lucky - his current valuations are HERE. Gary Leff also does an evaluation as do a few others. Most all are within a few tenths of each other's view.

Starpoints get the big boost because of their versatility and bonus redemption factors.

I believe that may be an internal Starwood metric. I tend to follow the thinking of Lucky - his current valuations are HERE. Gary Leff also does an evaluation as do a few others. Most all are within a few tenths of each other's view.

Starpoints get the big boost because of their versatility and bonus redemption factors.

Being lousy at math, I never understood these numbers. Still don't.

We had a "SPG Instant Awards" voucher at the Front Desk. If someone wanted to use points to pay for a stay, a dinner, spa, we used this voucher. The algorithm was right on the page. The guest always got to see the voucher because they had to verify I deducted the correct amount of points and then they signed the voucher.

Now, redeeming for a points stay may very well be different because the number of points for a night are fixed by category. 25,000 points/night for a Cat 6 when the BAR for the points room can be varied (example Westin Vail at $265 vs Westin Florence at $333). And, the movement of Starpoints to Skymiles...

We had a "SPG Instant Awards" voucher at the Front Desk. If someone wanted to use points to pay for a stay, a dinner, spa, we used this voucher. The algorithm was right on the page. The guest always got to see the voucher because they had to verify I deducted the correct amount of points and then they signed the voucher.

Yep...that's very similar to the way airlines let you use miles as dollars to buy a ticket. DL lets you pay at a penny a mile, other airlines about the same.

These have been instituted to try to get people to use up their miles (a corporate liability) at a very favorable (to the program) rate of exchange. Anyone who would use Starpoints at about a penny a point is either a person with more points than they could ever use up or a person who doesn't get the math. IMO.

It all comes down to what is the rate of exchange. If you are told that something is either 10 euros or 13 dollars, and you had both in your pocket, you'd just look at the exchange rate and see that it's better to pay in euros. With Starpoints, you would say "I can get 1.3 cents per point by paying for "instant awards". I can get 1.8 cents value for a regular award night at this hotel. I can get 2.5 cents worth by transfering to an airline and getting a business class ticket." Now do your eval.

I just made a reservation at a Starwood property. On the website there was "link" to link Starwood and Marriott points. I don't know how long this has been on the site, but I think it's relatively new.

Conversion...3 M to 1 S. If I use the Lucky chart, it looks like the Starwoods come out ok ...but not sure

Just found this: http://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/merger-spg-marriott-match-points/

Any comments from those that have a better knowledge of the subject?

Edited by buggins0402

I just made a reservation at a Starwood property. On the website there was "link" to link Starwood and Marriott points. I don't know how long this has been on the site, but I think it's relatively new.

Conversion...3 M to 1 S. If I use the Lucky chart, it looks like the Starwoods come out ok ...but not sure

Just found this: http://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/merger-spg-marriott-match-points/

Any comments from those that have a better knowledge of the subject?

Just like an airline merger. Marriott recently acquired the Starwood hotel brand.

I don't know anything about the particulars of the mileage booster. However, I just paid $300 to transfer points from my (hard-earned via credit card use :cool:) SkyMiles account to my hubby's account in order for both of us to get first class tickets to Europe next summer. (He was shy however many miles that $300 bought, and I didn't have enough for 2). Quite honestly, it doesn't make a bit of difference to me what the per mile cost was because $300 is considerably less even than what the cost of 2 tickets in coach would have been, so it's a win for me.

Just like an airline merger. Marriott recently acquired the Starwood hotel brand.

Know that. But, it looks like the 25000 starpoint Amex sign up just increased $50 in Marriott terms, if I use the chart Flyertalk linked and my math or thinking is not out of whack.

According to well-connected bloggers, the two big takeaways are:

1) Accounts may be linked to allow for points transfers between programs. The "exchange" rate is 3 Marriott to 1 Starwood, in either direction.

2) Elite status is also linked, so if you are a Starwood elite you can now have equivalent status with Marriott, and vice versa.

A few caveats I've heard: There is no "pooling" of stays and nights toward elite status. Elite status earning/retention remains the same. Thus, a stay at a Marriott will not count towards Starwood status. There will be no bonus incentive to get people to link accounts (as some airlines have done), so no reason to wait to link. Earnings will accrue to the appropriate program and are only moved by the account holder after they get into your account.

Aside from elite status, a big benefit is that this benefits Marriott point holders, who can now move them to Starwood and get some excellent airline transfer options, including the 25% bonus and many partner airlines.

Know that. But, it looks like the 25000 starpoint Amex sign up just increased $50 in Marriott terms, if I use the chart Flyertalk linked and my math or thinking is not out of whack.

Remember....that is a VERY generalized "chart". I liken redemption value to a bell curve distribution. One can find redemptions that are on both ends of the curve, so it always behooves one to figure out what the cash equivalent is for your points before you spend them and use these published evaluations as a baseline for further refinement for YOUR needs and aspirational use of points.

Already bloggers have been writing about various arbitrage tactics. Do some reading at Boarding Area.

I don't know anything about the particulars of the mileage booster. However, I just paid $300 to transfer points from my (hard-earned via credit card use :cool:) SkyMiles account to my hubby's account in order for both of us to get first class tickets to Europe next summer. (He was shy however many miles that $300 bought, and I didn't have enough for 2). Quite honestly, it doesn't make a bit of difference to me what the per mile cost was because $300 is considerably less even than what the cost of 2 tickets in coach would have been, so it's a win for me.
I won't argue your personal thoughts. However, there is the falacy present that the tickets were "free" aside from the $300. Nope - you were using an alternative currency that you definitely "paid for" through the opportunity cost of other credit card rewards, including cashback. In addition, the $300 was just to move that currency from one account to another - you didn't increase the number of miles you had, only moved from one pocket to the other.

One other note that you might want to check on...there are no first class awards available through SkyMiles to Europe. Business, yes. First, no. If you think you are getting first class, perhaps you should check what you did buy.

Edited by FlyerTalker

According to well-connected bloggers, the two big takeaways are:

1) Accounts may be linked to allow for points transfers between programs. The "exchange" rate is 3 Marriott to 1 Starwood, in either direction.

2) Elite status is also linked, so if you are a Starwood elite you can now have equivalent status with Marriott, and vice versa.

A few caveats I've heard: There is no "pooling" of stays and nights toward elite status. Elite status earning/retention remains the same. Thus, a stay at a Marriott will not count towards Starwood status. There will be no bonus incentive to get people to link accounts (as some airlines have done), so no reason to wait to link. Earnings will accrue to the appropriate program and are only moved by the account holder after they get into your account.

Aside from elite status, a big benefit is that this benefits Marriott point holders, who can now move them to Starwood and get some excellent airline transfer options, including the 25% bonus and many partner airlines.

Pretty right on. You still earn per your account - SPG at Starwood and MR at Marriott. BUT, if you link your accounts, you get the higher status of the two accounts (or if you don't have one of them, sign up and immediately get status), you have a way to use points for stays at any of the properties by moving points around when you want to. SPG Golds get a pretty sweet deal if they don't have MR already - instant MR Gold and access to hotel lounges (I've heard). The moving of MR points to SPG to airlines is pretty nice, too.

I've had MR people come to the hotel and ask if they would get MR credit or if they can use their MR points; I still say "no", but now I can at least tell them a qualified "yes". Heck, I'll even point them to a computer and help them enroll and link if they want! It's probably going to be in this "linked limbo" state until 2018...

Pretty right on. You still earn per your account - SPG at Starwood and MR at Marriott. BUT, if you link your accounts, you get the higher status of the two accounts (or if you don't have one of them, sign up and immediately get status), you have a way to use points for stays at any of the properties by moving points around when you want to. SPG Golds get a pretty sweet deal if they don't have MR already - instant MR Gold and access to hotel lounges (I've heard). The moving of MR points to SPG to airlines is pretty nice, too.

I've had MR people come to the hotel and ask if they would get MR credit or if they can use their MR points; I still say "no", but now I can at least tell them a qualified "yes". Heck, I'll even point them to a computer and help them enroll and link if they want! It's probably going to be in this "linked limbo" state until 2018...

Thanks, it looks like I can achieve Gold early next year, if I just switch one of my hotels in Hanoi. I have 7 stays booked and receive credit for 2 with the SPG card. Would be nice to be gold on Marriott also.

Also, just noticed Amex changed the Starwood signup from 25K points to 2 free nights up to category 5. Thankfully, I just got in under the wire for 25K.

I won't argue your personal thoughts. However, there is the falacy present that the tickets were "free" aside from the $300. Nope - you were using an alternative currency that you definitely "paid for" through the opportunity cost of other credit card rewards, including cashback. In addition, the $300 was just to move that currency from one account to another - you didn't increase the number of miles you had, only moved from one pocket to the other.

One other note that you might want to check on...there are no first class awards available through SkyMiles to Europe. Business, yes. First, no. If you think you are getting first class, perhaps you should check what you did buy.

First off, I have neither the time nor desire to start making spread sheets comparing how many more points I would or would not get from this CC vs that one or how many dollars I could have instead. I'm perfectly satisfied with my "free" hotel stays and/or flights. Yes, I paid $300 just to change points from one place to another. Big deal. Airlines charge nearly that just to change or cancel a flight, at the push of a button on the keyboard. And your point is...?

I'm well aware of what it cost me for those points, and I didn't spend any more than I would have anyway, credit card or no. I pay all of my CC bills in their entirety every month, so, no interest. Yes, I have that particular card because I knew I would want/need the points within a few years. (If we happen to fly Delta domestically, we get free checked bags, too, so...) I'm also using Hilton Honors points (earned via Hilton CC and actual travel) to cover the hotel pre-cruise. Since hubby and I both travel for work, it pays to be enrolled to get points from every place we stay, every airline we fly. (No, we don't have a CC for all of those, only a couple connected to our most frequently used companies)

Well aware they call it "business" class. However, since they have lay-flat seats, and it's an overnight flight, as far as I'm concerned it is first class. I've flown first class on flights on which the first few rows were labeled "First Class", but aside from free drinks and a bit more wiggle room in the seats, I would barely have classified them as such.

Edited by srlafleur