Is Carnival gouging its customers on the raising of the Bubbles package?

What are your thoughts ? In our past 13-14 cruises we've only bought it once, and that was our very first cruise and that was in 2007. I don't even remember how much it was ten years ago. I haven't checked to see if CCL's just keeping up with the other cruise lines. I just knew we couldn't drink soft drinks ALL day like many of our other friends do. Is it worth it to you (and do they still allow the 12 pk per customer in the carryon). We just did the Magic the middle of March and didn't even bother to take any soft drinks.

Mac

Gouging? Not anymore than they are gouging their customers for drinks in general. Buying a package is not required. If you think you'll do better paying for each drink individually then do that.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

What are your thoughts ? In our past 13-14 cruises we've only bought it once, and that was our very first cruise and that was in 2007. I don't even remember how much it was ten years ago. I haven't checked to see if CCL's just keeping up with the other cruise lines. I just knew we couldn't drink soft drinks ALL day like many of our other friends do. Is it worth it to you (and do they still allow the 12 pk per customer in the carryon). We just did the Magic the middle of March and didn't even bother to take any soft drinks.

Mac

....an increase of a buck a day does not sound like gouging to me. Is it worth it? Only you can decide, do you average more that 4 a day?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Gouging? Not anymore than they are gouging their customers for drinks in general. Buying a package is not required. If you think you'll do better paying for each drink individually then do that.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Oh no, I don't mean like it's sour grapes on my part, I don't buy ANY thing ( either alcohol OR soft drink) onboard. I was just addressing those who do. Just wanted their input. IF, they choose to do the package or separate, it's their money.

Mac

I have only bought it once for my daughter who just "had" to have it. I think she may have used it a couple of times a day so it wasn't worth it. Since you can still bring on a 12 pk per person we won't buy it again. I guess as long as people are willing to pay that amount for something that isn't a necessity it isn't considered "gouging".

While I don't like to pay more, I don't think it's gouging. At least the kids pay less unlike on Celebrity where it's the same price no matter what your age.

....even for someone "older" like you??

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I guess as long as people are willing to pay that amount for something that isn't a necessity it isn't considered "gouging".
Well, I think it is important that it isn't a "no choice" situation. Cruising is a choice, so everything about it is optional. Gouging is something that generally happens in anticipation of a tragedy or in the wake of one, when someone jacks up the price of something that they normally charge less for because customers are basically desperate.

Hahahahha! Yeah! And no discount for someone as old as you, either [emoji23]!

True.... I do get reminded on a regular basis of that. Could not believe that Roger Moore was that old...but I digress. Just trying to keep you engaged in the conversation and see if you were paying attention...

True.... I do get reminded on a regular basis of that. Could not believe that Roger Moore was that old...but I digress. Just trying to keep you engaged in the conversation and see if you were paying attention...

I try and keep up on here. You know, when work doesn't get in the way.

I guess as long as people are willing to pay that amount for something that isn't a necessity it isn't considered "gouging".
Whether something is a necessity or not is entirely dependent upon the consumers point of view. Obviously you don't consider it a necessity, but there are many people that are not coffee drinkers that start their day off with a Diet Coke and that is their beverage of choice, especially if they only occasionally have an adult beverage. They also may seem it a necessity if their "little angel" wants to consume it without bothering Mom or Dad.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Whether something is a necessity or not is entirely dependent upon the consumers point of view. Obviously you don't consider it a necessity, but there are many people that are not coffee drinkers that start their day off with a Diet Coke and that is their beverage of choice, especially if they only occasionally have an adult beverage. They also may seem it a necessity if their "little angel" wants to consume it without bothering Mom or Dad.

It is not a "necessity" to buy the package because you have the "choice" to bring your own onboard instead of paying for the package - one 12 pack per person brought onboard is usually much cheaper, you just have to put forth a little effort to do so - it is still a choice that you have to make and not necessary.

It is not a "necessity" to buy the package because you have the "choice" to bring your own onboard instead of paying for the package ...
And a choice to choose a different cruise line, or a different kind of vacation, for that matter.

It is not a "necessity" to buy the package because you have the "choice" to bring your own onboard instead of paying for the package - one 12 pack per person brought onboard is usually much cheaper, you just have to put forth a little effort to do so - it is still a choice that you have to make and not necessary.

In my case it is a necessity because I drink a lot of Diet Coke. I hate water. One 12 pack would not last me long at all. And since I travel alone, I am relegated to one 12 pack. Could I get more in port and bring them on? Probably. But it's not worth me having to lug that from the shopping area which can be a hike to the ship in the tropical weather. Then there's the convenience factor. I'm not bringing 2-3 cans to dinner. Yes I can drink that much as I get extremely thirsty from being outside. Not to mention when I'm out and about. I'm not about to hike from Deck 9 forward to Deck 1 aft for a drink.

So while, it isn't a necessity for many, it is for me and others. True, I could pay as I go but I would end up losing money in that case. A soda package is all a part of my cruise fare to me as are prepaid gratuities. Would I die without my Diet Coke? Probably not. But I would be mighty cranky. With all that being said, it is an option and no one is forced into buying it. But for me it's a nonnegotiable item.

I think it's probably safe to assume that there is a certain amount of gouging on just about everything on board a cruise ship, since it's not like there's any competition once they have you trapped on board. They're going to charge as much as they can for everything, right up to the point where people are still willing to pay. If Bubbles was gouging you before, then a dollar more is just gouging you a wee bit more. But gouging, like everything else, is relative to what people are willing to pay for something. It may not be egregious gouging, but you could probably do better if left to find the best deal on your own, which you can't on a cruise ship. This is not a slam of Carnival or Bubbles.

I think it's probably safe to assume that there is a certain amount of gouging on just about everything on board a cruise ship, since it's not like there's any competition once they have you trapped on board. They're going to charge as much as they can for everything, right up to the point where people are still willing to pay.

Absolutely. It's a fundamental part of their business plan I'm sure and a good part of why fares have gone down adjusted for inflation over the last twenty five years. Lower fares but with lots more things to pay extra for.

First of all, a 12 pack of soda divided over a seven day cruise is not enough for a soda drinker to survive on. I had read on another thread that Carnival no longer let's you bring on subsequent 12 packs from ports of call, so if that is indeed true, then it further necessitates the reason for purchasing the bubbles package.

Many of my favorite "at home" beverages may or may not be offered on a cruise ship without paying extra for them. I love clamato juice, grape juice, pineapple juice, limeade, virgin bloody marys, ginger ale, iced flavored coffee, cherry cranberry...you get the idea. If they are "important" to me in my daily routine I budget for them if they are offered at all on a cruise. Liquid habits are different for everyone, and if you want your drink of choice why would anyone expect them to be available at grocery store prices on a ship.

If someone drinks a few 64 ounce cokes a day (and I see people carrying those mugs around as though they were security blankets) why do they think their "special" drink should be cheap. Why should I have to pay "top dollar" for a virgin drink so that others can get their soda fix for peanuts.