Question regarding canal day on a partial...

Jetswdo

For various reasons, we have decided to stay on the ship and watch what we can from the comfort of air conditioned ship- (main reason)

For those of you who did not get off the ship (any cruiseline) if you did a partial, where and when did you eat breakfast? I'm wondering if we should head to buffet and grab a table far forward and camp out there for the early am? (we will be on the Coral Princess) I wasn't getting enough responses to help make up my mind on how to get the most of our day.

Origionally I thought it would be nice to enjoy breakfast from our balcony- but weather is too hot and humid for that, so never mind.

I know that once the bulk of passengers are off the ship for excursions, there are several hour of "downtime"----anyway just trying to get feedback on how you spent your day on partial crossing and how you handled your meals for that day.

Many people like to be on the bow as you enter the locks and during the lock transit. Have been through the Canal 3 times...each time as far forward as possible on the given ship, on an open deck. Breakfast is secondary.

If you think the buffet area suits you, you don't need our approval. Probably most will be outside.

In general your start of the partial transit is early and you will probably reach the Gatun Lake anchorage somewhere between 9 and 10. I would be inclined to try and hold breakfast off until then if I could. On my last partial transit I did not go to the buffet/MDR for breakfast, just a cup of Joe in one hand and something to gnaw on in the other. The eating areas will be a lot less congested when the ship reaches the anchorage and the touring passengers start to tender off.

For the morning trip up to Gatun Lake, I too am a fan of the forward open decks.

You will need to roam the ship....side to side, front to back, and different deck levels...Staying on the ship thru a partial transit IS an excursion unto itself! You probably won't want to be outside all day...it is freaking HOT!!!!

So does this make sense then?- Around 5:30 in the am, go far forward in an open viewing area- walk then all around ship to look around--About 10:00 most people will be off the ship for the various excursions- Then grab late breakfast some place, probably the buffet?

I didn't have anything set, just trying to come up with a "game plan" so to speak on how best to get the most viewing out of the canal for that day.

Makes perfect sense. One of the most popular spots is the most forward area you are permitted* that gives you a shot at seeing the first set of gates opening into the first chamber... that is the shot almost everyone wants to take. Since you will be on the ship for the return through Gatun Locks great viewing spots will be very easy to find. You can concentrate the bulk of looking at the Locks from every angle for this segment if you wish.

* One of the most popular places is on the bow. IIRC I don't think Princess opens up the bow to passengers, but be sure to check if they do.

I would look to view the canal from various points from the ship including Bow, Aft (Stern) Port and Starboard and from upper and even lower decks.

Keith

We've done four full transits of the canal, and Keith makes an excellent point when mentioning the lower decks. The view from the lower decks can be quite interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

We have been into Canal 3 times. I completely agree with Keith1010!!!! YOu need to be "on the move" when the ship goes through Gatun Locks -- so fascinating to watch front, sides, rear, opening/closing of the huge concrete gates, water rising/falling, seeing the "mules" pull the ship through, watch whatever type ship in lane next to your ship, watching ships in front & back of yours!!! Very very very awesome & interesting day!!! Remember, this structure was completed OVER 100 years ago!!!

We are going again to Canal in January & I have a "group" of 11 other people, all newbies to the Canal!! Hoping Holland will open bow of Zuiderdam!