FLL airport 2 hour check in

misha1

Hello and Happy Friday...I read on some thread that due to the large number of disembarking cruise ship passengers, one cannot check into the airport and go thru security earlier than 2 hours before their flight. We have a 3pm flight which will have us sitting in the lobby of the airport for several hours before we can check in if this is the case. We are not really interested in doing a tour or excursion on our disembarkation day but left with the choice of sitting in the airport vs doing something of entertaining value...well, you know. Are there some suggestions from those in the know? I suppose we could send our luggage to the airport with the cruise ship program that does that and maybe go to a shopping mall. We have never been refused check in and security passage at any other airport. We wanted to check in and go to the sky club and await our flight. Since we are flying FC, will they let us check in early?

Thanks in advance...Julie

Edited by misha1

I never heard such a thing. How do they know if you are a cruise passenger or just a person flying elsewhere.

I would be very comfortable going to the airport when you are ready. I don't thing they are sorting passengers by iff you came by boat, car or bus.

Hello and Happy Friday...I read on some thread that due to the large number of disembarking cruise ship passengers, one cannot check into the airport and go thru security earlier than 2 hours before their flight. We have a 3pm flight which will have us sitting in the lobby of the airport for several hours before we can check in if this is the case. We are not really interested in doing a tour or excursion on our disembarkation day but left with the choice of sitting in the airport vs doing something of entertaining value...well, you know. Are there some suggestions from those in the know? I suppose we could send our luggage to the airport with the cruise ship program that does that and maybe go to a shopping mall. We have never been refused check in and security passage at any other airport. We wanted to check in and go to the sky club and await our flight. Since we are flying FC, will they let us check in early?

Check in time is determined by each airline according to the airport website

(http://www.broward.org/Airport/FAQs/Pages/CruisePassengers.aspx):

Can I go through security as soon as I arrive?

You must have a boarding pass and your baggage checked-in with your airline before you can go through security. The earliest some airlines will check baggage is 2 to 3 hours prior to the scheduled departure.
for check-in times.

I presume you are flying on United or Delta (the only airlines with lounges at FLL that I know of). Call them and ask. If they say 2 hours (or even 3 hours in your case), maybe you could get around the timing by using the cruise line program for your luggage.

With a flight that late in the afternoon (since you are traveling first class arriving at the airport 1 1/2 hours before departure will give you more than enough time) I would really consider either a do-it-yourself morning on the water taxi - http://www.watertaxi.com - (sending your luggage ahead) and an early lunch in Fort Lauderdale or a cruise line excursion that will drop you of at the airport around 1 pm. I haven't used the Delta lounge but the United is nothing to write home about :D.

When we flew home from FLL in March on Southwest, they would not let us check in upstairs until two hours before our flight. Downstairs, it was three hours (and they were strict about it). Once we checked our luggage, we were told to wait another hour before going through security (but our friend wasn't). Of course, we ignored that and got in the security line.

FLL airport (at least the Southwest area) is one of the least pleasant airports I've ever experienced. Of course, there is a fine line between spending as little time as possible at the airport and getting stuck in long lines and potentially missing a flight.

Good luck with your timing! :rolleyes:

I am assuming that you booked a 3pm flight because it was cheaper than earlier flights..at least this seems to be the case when I look at airfare. By the time you pay for the ship to take your luggage and then pay for a cab to go somewhere and then back to the airport with the money you have spent you may as well just pay extra for an earlier flight. And consider how valuable the wasted time is to you.

I don't know if flying FC gives you any benefits when trying to check in early.

I am assuming that you booked a 3pm flight because it was cheaper than earlier flights..at least this seems to be the case when I look at airfare. By the time you pay for the ship to take your luggage and then pay for a cab to go somewhere and then back to the airport with the money you have spent you may as well just pay extra for an earlier flight. And consider how valuable the wasted time is to you.

I don't know if flying FC gives you any benefits when trying to check in early.

Best to check with your airline...flying FC it may be different for you..it has been for us when flying DL.

This happened to us on our last cruise, and I'd forgotten about it!

We got to the airport by 9:30 but our flight wasn't till 2:00. We were told to wait to check bags till noon. Either husband or mother-in-law got the idea to hit up the skycap with a generous tip, and that worked. The Delta lounge was packed, but still more comfortable than the gate. It wasn't the best airport experience we've ever had.

Does MIA do this sort of thing too?

Since we used miles to pay for the flight, the 3pm time was all that was available. Thanks for the tips on tipping the sky cap. That may be the ticket. We almost always use curbside check in. We will be spending a few days in advance of the cruise in FLL and will be taking the water taxi about then...which I am looking forward to. I will have to check out the link for the airline check ins...thanks. Julie