The Met ot MoMa or even the Natural History Museum

babs135

Warhol or Monet? That is the question...

Personally, if I were going to go to one museum in NYC, it would probably be the Frick! But, I've been to the Met, MoMa, and the Natural History Museum. Between the Met and MoMa, I personally would go to the Met, although we've skipped the Met when there were special exhibits, such as when they had a Hopper exhibit a couple of years ago.

The Met kind of has everything, from Egyptian to late 19th and 20th Century American artists. It is huge, and to see a decent section of it is probably at least four hours; you'll get pretty tired if you try to go beyond that.

MoMa at least seems more compact, and is "Modern Art," a term that can be interpreted pretty broadly. Warhol, Hopper, 1960's plasticware as "art", etc.

The Natural History Museum is very nice. That kind of depends on what other similar museums you've been to around the world. It's different from the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, and the natural history sections of the British Museum.

Time really depends on your interest level. It's possible to spend 3-4 hours at each of the three without any real effort. You can also spend less time for a quick peak, or much more time for a serious look.

Hope that helps.

Definitely the Met unless you only want to focus on modern art. The Met does have some Warhol though so you can see some pieces. Besides the expressionists, the Met has the American wing which includes the giant Washington crossing the Delaware, the Egyptian wing which has been mentioned is worth the visit alone, the Greek art is magnificent also. Really too much to list.

The museum of Natural History is interesting and the building itself is amazing. Add a star if you are a Teddy Roosevelt fan. Add a star if you want the opportunity to see authentic dinosaur fossils. The dioramas are very detailed, but there are no hands on type of exhibits.

Both museums line Central Park. The Met is on the east side, 5th Avenue, the Natural History in Central Park West.

If you're only in town for one day, I would choose only one. If you appreciate art do the art museum. But if the thought of art museum is not your thing go with the Natural History museum.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Met probably has the broadest appeal: ancient cultures, medieval arms, European Renaissance, the American wing alone is worth much of a day. MOMA is an excellent, though more narrow, collection. The Natural History Museum would be ideal for children or those with little interest in art.

Three or four hours is barely enough to scratch the surface.

• 2 weeks later...

Also remember the met and I think the natural history too are free!!! It's a suggested donation but you can give anything you want or nothing and will still be welcomed with a smile!!

The MOMA is not free and although one of my favs...is rather costly. IMHO

Also remember the met and I think the natural history too are free!!! It's a suggested donation but you can give anything you want or nothing and will still be welcomed with a smile!!

The MOMA is not free and although one of my favs...is rather costly. IMHO

So at the risk of turning this into a "tipping thread", while that's technically true, most people pony up the suggested donation. Honestly, I like the Met enough to consider one of the "out of town" memberships they offer.

And, yes, you'll still get in just for going to the counter and getting a pin with no donation (seems I heard they've done away with the little pins?).

So at the risk of turning this into a "tipping thread", while that's technically true, most people pony up the suggested donation. Honestly, I like the Met enough to consider one of the "out of town" memberships they offer.

And, yes, you'll still get in just for going to the counter and getting a pin with no donation (seems I heard they've done away with the little pins?).

DH has a pass through his employer, and our local library has a free pass you can borrow, but I like the policy. I'd like to think people would base it on the time they expected to stay there. So many visitors have just a short time, trying to fit so much off their checklist. I think many would skip it all together if they had to pay full price, and only had an hour or so.

DH has a pass through his employer, and our local library has a free pass you can borrow, but I like the policy. I'd like to think people would base it on the time they expected to stay there. So many visitors have just a short time, trying to fit so much off their checklist. I think many would skip it all together if they had to pay full price, and only had an hour or so.

There is that. We've always spent at least a half day when there, so I've not felt it to be overpriced. Of course, I'm in the DC area and pretty much all our museums are free, as are most of the museums in London, etc.

You have no idea if most people pony up the suggested $25 donation so please do not state that as though it is fact. However, yes many people do make rather large donations to the Met in various ways and not just at the entrance desk and one must assume that some tourists will actually pay $25 per head as they don't realize the Met is actually a free museum

There is a rather intense controversy going on about this I'm sure you are aware if you live in the surrounding areas

The Met was originally meant to be free for all

Donations/philanthropy/foundations etc were meant to be the support mechanism to sustain the museum...and they still are

That is why it is a " suggested donation"

The Met has received criticism recently for not telling patrons straight out that it is "suggested" and not a "mandatory" donation in a clearer fashion although every time I've been there the word suggested is right there for all to see

The Met is set up to be open to all regardless of ability to pay

I go there every few years with my family and the most I've ever given is $10 in total...always accepted with a welcoming smile too!!

It is perfectly ok to donate whatever you feel appropriate

AND

In no way should anyone be made to feel cheap if they don't make the suggested donation

And please do not fall into the guilt trip should you give less or nothing at all....because...

The intent of the museum is that it is open to all regardless of ability to pay

Edited by luvtheships

You have no idea if most people pony up the suggested $25 donation so please do not state that as though it is fact. However, yes many people do make rather large donations to the Met in various ways and not just at the entrance desk and one must assume that some tourists will actually pay $25 per head as they don't realize the Met is actually a free museum

There is a rather intense controversy going on about this I'm sure you are aware if you live in the surrounding areas

The Met was originally meant to be free for all

Donations/philanthropy/foundations etc were meant to be the support mechanism to sustain the museum...and they still are

That is why it is a " suggested donation"

The Met has received criticism recently for not telling patrons straight out that it is "suggested" and not a "mandatory" donation in a clearer fashion although every time I've been there the word suggested is right there for all to see

The Met is set up to be open to all regardless of ability to pay

I go there every few years with my family and the most I've ever given is $10 in total...always accepted with a welcoming smile too!!

It is perfectly ok to donate whatever you feel appropriate

AND

In no way should anyone be made to feel cheap if they don't make the suggested donation

And please do not fall into the guilt trip should you give less or nothing at all....because...

The intent of the museum is that it is open to all regardless of ability to pay

If one can afford to pay the suggested donation and they choose not to, yes they are cheap. The museum has annuities so it can be open to all, including children, those on welfare, etc. it costs millions per year to maintain the building and collections. To encourage others to not to donate is doing a disservice to the museum. Every great museum in the world charges entrance fees. The Met is on the honor system.

If one can afford to pay the suggested donation and they choose not to, yes they are cheap. The museum has annuities so it can be open to all, including children, those on welfare, etc. it costs millions per year to maintain the building and collections. To encourage others to not to donate is doing a disservice to the museum. Every great museum in the world charges entrance fees. The Met is on the honor system.

Sorry but it's pay as you wish

It doesn't matter how much one can "afford" as that is subject to personal interpretation

I pay $10 for my family bottom line

Those that want to pay $25 per head are totally free to do so

I choose not to....and am also free to do that

Btw not every great museum in the world charges an entrance fee....

There is a great difference between donation and a charged entrance fee

Have you ever been to the Smithsonian?

If so, how much did you pay?

I paid zero...

Edited by luvtheships

I've never donated more than $15 for my family to enter the Met

If I'm going with my younger child for a school project then just $5 for myself

Always greeted cordially by the staff as well

It's no big deal at the Met

You simply pay what you wish or nothing at all

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My apology to the OP for derailing your thread with what I meant as a clarification based on past experience. Contrary to assumptions, I was NOT aware that the Met had settled a lawsuit earlier this year over this exact question and agreed to clarify its policies on admission.

Has anyone actually been to the Met since March of this year? Have they in fact changed the signs? Do you still have to get into the "donation" line to get into the museum, or can you just bypass and walk in? The setup I recall routed everyone to either a kiosk or a ticket counter and you were given a little metal pin (which I thought I'd read had gone away) that the security folks looked for at the exhibit doors.

(Interestingly, their web page now clearly states "If you buy tickets at a museum ticket counter, the amount you pay is up to you. Please be as generous as you can." but that tickets are good for up to a year? But if you buy in advance to skip the line, you agree to pay $25?? That's a lot different from how I read the terms of the settlement where they state admission is free and donations are up to the visitor. Letter of the settlement but not the spirit?)

BTW, the Smithsonian (other than parking at Udvar-Hazy) has always been free and there's never been an "admission" line like you see at the Met. So there's no confusion as to any fees to enter.

There are rarely any lines to enter the Met so a skip the line offer is totally ridiculous

Of course if you call 5 people in line ahead of you a long line!

I don't

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've usually visited weekends or summer. Usually early so agree not much of a line. Leaving early afternoon there have ALWAYS been lines.

The point was they're marketing a skip the line pre-pay offer that's full "donation" value. After agreeing to change their "donation" language. And to stop confusing people as to whether a "donation" was required...

Have you been since they agreed to change the language? And can you bypass the counter, since a donation is in fact optional?

The lawsuit was settled back in February of this year, no ruling no admission of guilt, not all settlement details released.

Big deal, they changed the word "recommended" to "suggested" and adding "the amount is up to you".

MET online ticket sale page:

If you buy tickets at a museum ticket counter, the amount you pay is up to you. Please be as generous as you can. Suggested admission is $25 for adults, $17 for seniors, $12 for students, and free for children under 12.

6 Million Visitors a year....

Sorry but it's pay as you wish

It doesn't matter how much one can "afford" as that is subject to personal interpretation

I pay $10 for my family bottom line

Those that want to pay $25 per head are totally free to do so

I choose not to....and am also free to do that

Btw not every great museum in the world charges an entrance fee....

There is a great difference between donation and a charged entrance fee

Have you ever been to the Smithsonian?

If so, how much did you pay?

I paid zero...

The Smithsonian can only be seen as "free" by someone who does not pay Federal Income Tax - by which many of us support it.

Of course you can donate $10 for a family at the Met - you could get by without paying anything. I have to ask if you remove discretionary service charges on cruise ships as well - just because you can.

What you do is your own business; but when you boast about it, you raise valid questions.