Schiphol Amsterdam problems

Ine

At the moment due to more/high security, not only at the airport but also on the roads going to the airport anybody needs far more time then normal.

Long lines before you even get to the airport, it will take at least 30 minutes or more to get to the terminals if driving from Amsterdam.

Once inside the terminal more time is needed to get to the checkin, again often long lines.

Train is not always an option at the moment, as till August 9th there will be no trains between Schiphol airport and Amsterdam South/Diemen. It seems connections to Centraal Station from the airport are more or less normal again.

Traffic to from Rotterdam/The Hague is by far not that bad.

Edited by Ine

Just curious

We had no problem on Sunday (3 days ago)

We were greeted by troops with guns when getting off the train but thought that might be their general security

The train was on schedule and check-in went fine

We must have been very lucky!

Just curious

We had no problem on Sunday (3 days ago)

We were greeted by troops with guns when getting off the train but thought that might be their general security

The train was on schedule and check-in went fine

We must have been very lucky!

Indeed you were. If there are no construction delays on the stretch of the train you are in, train is by far the best at the moment. (check ns.nl if needed)

On the road coming from Amsterdam the 2 lines going to the airport are directed into 1 lane shortly before the airport. Before the tunnel leading to the airport there were long lines already, it took me about 40 minutes extra just to get to the airport.

However from the other direction (The Hague/Rotterdam) there was just a short line.

Due to highseason lines for checkin and passport control will be longer then usual too.

We transferred at Schiphzl a few months ago going from Lisbon to Atlanta. The transfer was one of the worst we have ever encountered.

First, because we had to go through immigration, we had tok line up for that. Problem, once we arrived where there should have been a line or lines going through immigration, there was just a mob. It took us five minutes to find out that the far right side of the mob was for the lines for non-EU passengers. Then we elbowed our way in something of a who can cut in front of you first to the proper line, which all in all took about 45 minutes in the mob.

Second, we went to the gate we were allotted. It was not the gate for the aircraft, it was a screening gate where we had to show our boarding passes and passports. It was mainly for passport checks and despite the lot to long lines, seemed to take too long, perhaps another 25-30 minutes.

Third, we were assigned out gate, where the aircraft was waiting for us. The flight was already boarding, and again our passports etc. were checked once more. We made the connection, but people who complain about CDG should have to go through Schiphzl.

Sorry to hear your experience 4774Papa!

1. You were leaving the European Union at Schiphol after free passage from Portugal to Amsterdam.

Schiphol is well laid out and signage is everywhere, maybe the constructions going on this year might have led to a less experience.

2. Sounds like pre departure clearance for US flights (the old at the gate interview), at D1 for Delta and E4 for United/US Airways and AA. Mandatory security interview, US rule.

3. Gate, boarding, check for pax list, just paperwork.

Again, sorry to hear but it all makes sense, especially flying your route. Any other international flight wouldn't have had #2 for example.

Schiphol is well known for being a great transfer airport and it lives by the millions who transfer there and not from the departing pax. I think they are rounding up the work on much of the larger reconstruction works, recently Lounge 2 was reopened so let's hope your next experience will be a better one. :)

1. You were leaving the European Union at Schiphol after free passage from Portugal to Amsterdam.

Schiphol is well laid out and signage is everywhere, maybe the constructions going on this year might have led to a less experience.

2. Sounds like pre departure clearance for US flights (the old at the gate interview), at D1 for Delta and E4 for United/US Airways and AA. Mandatory security interview, US rule.

Again, sorry to hear but it all makes sense, especially flying your route. Any other international flight wouldn't have had #2 for example.

Schiphol is well known for being a great transfer airport and it lives by the millions who transfer there and not from the departing pax. I think they are rounding up the work on much of the larger reconstruction works, recently Lounge 2 was reopened so let's hope your next experience will be a better one. :)

I love Netherlands. I was surprised that the airport was not better organized. Perhaps there is construction work going on that had an impact on our experience. Clearly, it could have been better organized. We have transferred in CDG and Frankfurt and it was much easier.

I'll be connecting through Schiphol on October 1st. So, will most of the reconstruction be complete.

My flight home to US on KLM (a great airline in my past experience) begins in Lyon. Based on your comments we will have several security checkpoints between our flights. Is this correct?

Will be clear US immigration in Schiphol?

Thank you for your information.

I'll be connecting through Schiphol on October 1st. So, will most of the reconstruction be complete.

My flight home to US on KLM (a great airline in my past experience) begins in Lyon. Based on your comments we will have several security checkpoints between our flights. Is this correct?

Will be clear US immigration in Schiphol?

Thank you for your information.

You will not clear US migration at Schiphol, but an extra high security check.

You will not clear US migration at Schiphol, but an extra high security check.

Ine

Thank you.

What I gather the procedure will be when we arrive from Lyon... before we arrive at the gate for the US bound flight we need to officially leave the EU through some sort of passport control. This is a procedure I remember doing on previous trips to Europe. When we get to the US bound flight we will have additional security screening.

I'm not surprised that we do not clear US Immigration in Schiphol. I've read we (the US government) would like to have this happen at several European airports. Understandably, European nations are not excited about US law enforcement presence in their midst.

Ine

Thank you.

What I gather the procedure will be when we arrive from Lyon... before we arrive at the gate for the US bound flight we need to officially leave the EU through some sort of passport control. This is a procedure I remember doing on previous trips to Europe. When we get to the US bound flight we will have additional security screening.

I'm not surprised that we do not clear US Immigration in Schiphol. I've read we (the US government) would like to have this happen at several European airports. Understandably, European nations are not excited about US law enforcement presence in their midst.

Yup. The additional security screening is an interview with some random and not so random questions done by one of the security firms. After the interview you will get your gate number.

Most (if not; busses are used to flow the pax) gates have an added gatehouse with a second level on top of the pier/concourse to have the ability to receive planes from clean and so called dirty countries (security screening level which is accepted by the EU). That way they can flow pax directly to one of the new central security filters before they enter the clean area/lounge. And from a clean country they will flow directly into the lounge, like you will from your Lyon flight in to Lounge 1.

Going to the international Lounge 2 & 3 you will leave the EU at that point and pass passport control. Watch the signs for the lines for all passports and EU passports.

As a KLM pax you won't have the interview if I read the news about the new security correctly. The D1 and E4 are US airlines only and therefore high risk/bound to the US rule of the interview. Which kind of is the same as CBP questions. And waiting time.

edit; here's a video explaining it all ->

Schipol is on the list for pre-clearance, as is Heathrow, but there are lots of logistical issues to address, never mind the legal ones. I doubt it will happen soon.

It only operates in the Republic of Ireland in Europe as far as I know (Dublin and Shannon). Also in the UAE (AUH and DUB, I think), but that's a long route home from Europe :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ine (or anyone else who can give me an answer)

We will be flying from Amsterdam to Rome mid October, which I assume is not high season. If we have a flight at 9:30 AM, How long would we need and what would be a good time to call a taxi for? We will probably use Tinker. Our hotel is near the flower market. Thanks

Hi Ine (or anyone else who can give me an answer)

We will be flying from Amsterdam to Rome mid October, which I assume is not high season. If we have a flight at 9:30 AM, How long would we need and what would be a good time to call a taxi for? We will probably use Tinker. Our hotel is near the flower market. Thanks

Indeed no highseason then but much depends how high security still will be. That of course I cannot tell you.

In normal times airlines want you to report 2 hours prior for checkin on european flights.

If security is still high take at least 30 minutes extra for possible delay by car before entering the airport.

Another option can be take a cab to Centraal Station and train from there.

Edited by Ine

Indeed no highseason then but much depends how high security still will be. That of course I cannot tell you.

In normal times airlines want you to report 2 hours prior for checkin on european flights.

If security is still high take at least 30 minutes extra for possible delay by car before entering the airport.

Another option can be take a cab to Centraal Station and train from there.

Right now the news reports security will be a bit less high, so mavbe you donot need the extra 30 minutes.

Be aware you will need about 30 minutes anyway to get to the airport by cab.

Right now the news reports security will be a bit less high, so mavbe you donot need the extra 30 minutes.

Be aware you will need about 30 minutes anyway to get to the airport by cab.

Thank you.

The train is not an option. So you are saying I should call the taxi from the hotel 3 hours before flight time. That would give me the 2 hrs before flight, 1/2 travel time and 1/2 hr for unforeseen problems ??????

Thank you.

The train is not an option. So you are saying I should call the taxi from the hotel 3 hours before flight time. That would give me the 2 hrs before flight, 1/2 travel time and 1/2 hr for unforeseen problems ??????

Yes indeed. But check with your hotel how the security level is by then. That might save you 30 minutes more or less.

• 2 weeks later...
At the moment due to more/high security, not only at the airport but also on the roads going to the airport anybody needs far more time then normal.

Long lines before you even get to the airport, it will take at least 30 minutes or more to get to the terminals if driving from Amsterdam.

Once inside the terminal more time is needed to get to the checkin, again often long lines.

Train is not always an option at the moment, as till August 9th there will be no trains between Schiphol airport and Amsterdam South/Diemen. It seems connections to Centraal Station from the airport are more or less normal again.

Traffic to from Rotterdam/The Hague is by far not that bad.

Many thanks Ine for keeping us apprised of the goings on in Amsterdam. I embark the Celebrity Silhouette in Amsterdam next August, flying in from the U.S. and will continue to monitor these three threads. You are a valuable source of information and are so appreciated. :)

Edited by Chelly

We flew out of Schiphol to Atlanta yesterday. Our flight was 10:30am and we arrived at the airport via taxi from our hotel at 7am. Our check in, baggage drop off, passport screening and security check was all completed within one hour which we feel was very successful. We found a very nice restaurant in the airport, Coco's, for coffee and light breakfast.

Our Delta flight boarded on time and was a very pleasant 9 hour flight back.

Also we stayed at the DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station after the cruise for 2 nights and thought it was excellent. Easy to get there and get anywhere in Amsterdam from there. Great roof top lounge as well there.