How far ahead do we need to book

I just tried to book the Oct. 7, 2017 Caribbean cruise on Princess, but I need a Handicapped accessible and NONE are available so I had to go on the waitlist.

One and a half years ahead and all H/C are booked already!

I also tried today to book a H/C for April 2018 and guess what, yep, no H/C available and that is 2 years ahead.

When will these cruise lines wake up and build more H/C and Single staterooms?

Hi,

I very much doubt that any cruise line will increase the amount of accessible cabins due to simple economics. They can fit 3 cabins instead of 2 accessible ones, 50% more income.

Pete

I would think that if all rooms had a wider door to accommodate ECVs, and install a folding shower seat and a grip rail in the shower, that would solve the shortage of HC rooms. The HC rooms could then be booked by those who need roll-in bathrooms.

We book 1 to 1 1/2 years early to get a HC room. We usually cruise on RCCL and haven't had a problem.

I just tried to book the Oct. 7, 2017 Caribbean cruise on Princess, but I need a Handicapped accessible and NONE are available so I had to go on the waitlist.

I also tried today to book a H/C for April 2018 and guess what, yep, no H/C available and that is 2 years ahead.

I guess the question here is HOW did you try to book? Did you call Princess special needs department and ask?

You failed to give complete details as to the category you're booking . Reason being that if you're referring to the Oct 7, 2017 cruise on the Caribbean Princess the only HC category sold out are the HC Mini Suites and believe there is only 1 or 2 HC accessible Mini Suites and yes they book up well in advance . All other categories still have available HC Cabins.

Probably the same applies to the April 2018 cruise as well if you're wanting a specific category.

FYI - I book the minute the cruise is published to be assured of an HC cabin in the desired category. The same is done by many who also require an HC cabin so not as unusual as you may think for a category to be sold out this far in advance.

Edited by xxoocruiser

You failed to give complete details as to the category you're booking . Reason being that if you're referring to the Oct 7, 2017 cruise on the Caribbean Princess the only HC category sold out are the HC Mini Suites and believe there is only 1 or 2 HC accessible Mini Suites and yes they book up well in advance . All other categories still have available HC Cabins.

Probably the same applies to the April 2018 cruise as well if you're wanting a specific category.

FYI - I book the minute the cruise is published to be assured of an HC cabin in the desired category. The same is done by many who also require an HC cabin so not as unusual as you may think for a category to be sold out this far in advance.

My call to Princess was today at 8:30 a.m.

For the Oct. 7, 2017 I was looking for a balcony (or ocean view) I asked if the res. agent could check with inventory and she told me that there were NO accessible and that if I was on the wait list they would let me know if one became available. Meanwhile she booked me into a regular stateroom on the Lido deck? I told her that I only can accept a H/C since my husband uses a mobility scooter.

For the April 27, 2018 cruise, I also was speaking to the regular res. agent. She told me the same thing about an ocean view on the Emerald. None available I am waitlisted. Meanwhile she booked me into a regular stateroom.

So I called the special needs department, but they would not even put me thru to them. They were able to get me a higher balcony category (which the first agent didn't even offer me) balcony for my Oct. 7, 2017 Caribbean Princess booking. Yea!!!

For the April 27, 2018 I booked into a balcony by the special needs department but still want to wait list for an ocean view because it is too early in the year to be able to use the balcony in Alaska.

Thanks for all your suggestions

May I suggest you find a good travel agent who knows his or her way with Princess. I am only guessing but at this far out I have a suspision that these accessible cabins are held by t/a's groups. More than once when I have found all accessible cabins booked, our t/a has been able to push the right buttons and get us an accessible cabin. Having said that, you may not be able to get exactly the cabin you would like.

My call to Princess was today at 8:30 a.m.

For the Oct. 7, 2017 I was looking for a balcony (or ocean view) I asked if the res. agent could check with inventory and she told me that there were NO accessible and that if I was on the wait list they would let me know if one became available. Meanwhile she booked me into a regular stateroom on the Lido deck? I told her that I only can accept a H/C since my husband uses a mobility scooter.

For the April 27, 2018 cruise, I also was speaking to the regular res. agent. She told me the same thing about an ocean view on the Emerald. None available I am waitlisted. Meanwhile she booked me into a regular stateroom.

So I called the special needs department, but they would not even put me thru to them. They were able to get me a higher balcony category (which the first agent didn't even offer me) balcony for my Oct. 7, 2017 Caribbean Princess booking. Yea!!!

For the April 27, 2018 I booked into a balcony by the special needs department but still want to wait list for an ocean view because it is too early in the year to be able to use the balcony in Alaska.

Thanks for all your suggestions

Before even calling the cruise line to book I always check Princesses website as to what HC cabins are available. Princess and RCCL both show HC inventory on line by checking the back regarding needing a wheelchair accessible cabin. T.

RE: October 7, 2017 Carribean Princess... Don't understand why the rep booked you into a regular cabin being that as of this morning at 9:00 AM CST the following is the inventory of unsold HC cabins ?

Inside

Deck 15... L252, L248

Deck 14... R312

Deck 12... A312

Deck 10... C312

Oceanview Obstructed view ( non-obstructed all sold out)

Deck 8.... E301, E302, E303, E304

Balcony

Deck 14... R301 & R303

Deck 12... A301, A302, A303, A304

Deck 11... B301, B302, B303, B304

Deck 10... C301, C302, C303, C304

Mini Suites - all sold out

Suite

Deck 6.... F315

Re: April 27, 2018 - Alaska HC accessible oceanview cabins for that time of year book basically the miniute the cruise is published. Reason being for what you stated in your previous post... too cold to use a balcony that time of year in Alaska. For what it's worth I booked my upcoming Sept Alaska cruise over 2 years in advance.

XXOOCRUISER,

I don't understand where you are referring to in the following comment?

Princess and RCCL both show HC inventory on line by checking the back regarding needing a wheelchair accessible cabin. T.

Even thou I know which are HC category, I don't see unsold inventory? In fact when I try to do a new booking it tells me "Oceanview Staterooms are currently SOLD OUT. Please select another stateroom type."

XXOOCRUISER,

I don't understand where you are referring to in the following comment?

Princess and RCCL both show HC inventory on line by checking the back regarding needing a wheelchair accessible cabin. T.

Even thou I know which are HC category, I don't see unsold inventory? In fact when I try to do a new booking it tells me "Oceanview Staterooms are currently SOLD OUT. Please select another stateroom type."

My post should have stated "CHECKING THE BOX" not back.

•  
  • Go to the Princess Website and pull of the cruise and go through the steps to as if you're booking it on-line.
  • When you get to the page that states STATEROOM LOCATION
  • There's drop down box at that top.. click on OceanView.
  • On the same page click on "I'll CHOOSE MY OWN"
  • Than just above the diagram of the ship there's a box you need to check that states I require a wheelchair-accessible stateroom
  • Than click the on the open circle in the column(s) that has pricing and the available accessible cabins will appear.

Refer to this link as it shows you what I just explained. View this link https://book.princess.com/reserve/stateroom.do?sessionToken=ca2bca94-88dc-4448-9a54-7fe6125d3f7f&ada=true

It's not complicated just follow the prompts on the website. You're original post stated that it was a Carribean Cruise Oct 7, 2017 . The only cruise the matches that is on the Carribean Princess. Perhaps you're accidently clicking on the wrong cruise .

Edited by xxoocruiser

My husband uses a mobility scooter also, the biggest one they make. You can take the arms off and the scooter will fit through the door. We never have a HC room. If you have a smaller scooter it will go through the door just fine without removing the arms.

:)