Passenger on Voyager with Menningitis Removed (updated- NOT menningitis)

findacruise

Although I have been following this story (have a friend on board), I didn't post as it could be blown up -- way out of proportion. Everyone is fine -- Regent was proactive to insure that no one got sick. Things are back to normal. This could happen anywhere, any time........ fortunately, Regent was prepared to handle it. It is important to note that it was "suspected"-- not a confirmed case of meningitis. And, it is not true that people could not leave the ship for 48 hours. Not sure why the media can't get the facts straight!

After all the necessary medical tests, the Italian Health Ministry announced today that the affected guest tested negative for meningitis.

FDR

Thanks for weighing in with FACTS - always helps control rumors...

The reports missed one very important word .......... "suspected" case of meningitis. IMO, the crew on the Voyager had to react as if passengers may have been exposed. My friend and I were emailing back and forth during the course of this scare and everyone was reportedly impressed with how Regent handled the situation. As is typical of the media, it is doubtful if anyone will see a report on how the passenger did not have meningitis.

FDR most definitely reads CC as well as other boards. So do some of the officers on board the ships. I have posted this several times. This is the main reason I start threads with suggestions (usually positive ones) for new itineraries, changes passengers would like to see, etc.

In any case, really pleased that he communicated on this topic to put rumors to rest. IMO, it isn't always a good idea to start a thread of this nature until you know the facts. I learned my lesson on this a few years ago and hope I do not spread an untrue rumor in the future (even though the one I started was accidental, it was not substantiated).

I was on this cruise. I plan on posting a mini review in a few days. IMHO, Regent's communications during this cruise was excellent. We not only had this ill passenger, but we had the hurricane and concerns about getting home from Istanbul. There were regular public announcements and two letters signed by Mark Conroy delivered to our cabin. If only the airlines were half as good about keeping their passengers informed!

The reports missed one very important word .......... "suspected" case of meningitis. IMO, the crew on the Voyager had to react as if passengers may have been exposed. My friend and I were emailing back and forth during the course of this scare and everyone was reportedly impressed with how Regent handled the situation. As is typical of the media, it is doubtful if anyone will see a report on how the passenger did not have meningitis.

FDR most definitely reads CC as well as other boards. So do some of the officers on board the ships. I have posted this several times. This is the main reason I start threads with suggestions (usually positive ones) for new itineraries, changes passengers would like to see, etc.

In any case, really pleased that he communicated on this topic to put rumors to rest. IMO, it isn't always a good idea to start a thread of this nature until you know the facts. I learned my lesson on this a few years ago and hope I do not spread an untrue rumor in the future (even though the one I started was accidental, it was not substantiated).

Should have used a different title or not have posted. Should have remembered what I always tell others - you can't always beleive what you read on the internet. Lesson relearned!

Should have used a different title or not have posted. Should have remembered what I always tell others - you can't always beleive what you read on the internet. Lesson relearned!

It is easy to believe what you read -- don't think that anyone feels you posted the article with the intent to spread incorrect information. Thankfully FDR is around to read posts and Host Dan can update subjects:)

All- my wife and I were on this cruise and we felt that Regent handled this situation perfectly. While we were sad to miss Sicily due to the Italian Health Ministry's ignorance, we had a wonderful time on the ship and felt that the day to relax was really nice given we were supposed to be in port every day for the 7 night cruise. As soon as they made the announcement my wife went right to the spa and made a second massage appointment. She loved the SPA!!!

Regent really did a great job communicating to the passengers and put together a "day @ sea" schedule in less than an hour!

Regent's actions/reactions to this health concern and also hurricane Sandy was amazing.

Archived