Naples to Rome on embarkation day

ACJV

Would it be risky to fly from Naples to Rome on embarkation day?

Well, I wouldn't consider flying from Naples to Rome period - the high-speed train takes a little more than an hour, a much more efficient way to travel between the cities. Plus, consider that your cruise will embark from Civitavecchia, which is a good hour+ away from Rome.

That said, looking at a completely random date I'm finding plenty of train options that would get you early enough for embarkation. But, being the cautious traveller that I am, I would probably take the train the evening before and stay in Civi.

• 2 weeks later...

OP, you may also want to look into taking the train direct from Naples to Civi (assuming you are using Rome as a connection). We're doing the opposite from you on our next cruise (going to Naples after a cruise) and we were able to get a train from Civi to Naples without needing to connect through Rome. The benefit to us is not needing to change trains and deal with the luggage.

I think there's very little risk in taking the train on embarkation day. There are at least ten trains (all with a connection in Rome) that would get you there in plenty of time for an afternoon embarkation.

A flight would take a lot longer, when you factor in the waiting time at the airport prior to flight, than any of the train connections. You've also got the problem of traveling the 45 miles from the airport to the cruise port.

Why on earth would you fly ? Its only a 1 hour trip by Trenitalia fast train from Napoli Centrale to Roma Termini . Then 45 to 75 minutes by regional train to Civitavecchia . Assuming your cruise embarks pax from midday take an 0700 train from Napoli and you will be in Civitavecchia easily between 1000 and 1100 . Be sure to pre book seats on the FAST train from Napoli to Roma .

I would spend the day in or around Naples-whatever your plan is.

Then take a late afternoon, dinner time train to Civ., changing trains in Termini.

Get your hotel in Civ, go out for a late dinner. You keep you full day in Naples plus get to Civ. in plenty of time just in case there are delays of some sort.

We did something similar. Worked a charm. Plus...the train from Termini to Civ was not crowded so there was not issue with finding a seat close to where we stored our bag.

Have to agree there is little risk with taking the train. But we cannot understand why anyone would even consider flying between Naples and Rome...as the train is actually substantially faster when you factor in going to/from the airports and waiting time.

Hank

Have to agree there is little risk with taking the train. But we cannot understand why anyone would even consider flying between Naples and Rome...as the train is actually substantially faster when you factor in going to/from the airports and waiting time.

Hank

Noticed the OP is from the US, so may not be knowledgeable about the fantastic Italian Rail System. Remember - in the US, people will fly an hour to get between towns/cities because we have a rail system that does not service most of the US...

I'll say that Hank and the others are right about saying you'd be OK doing the morning train. But, I am one who likes to be where I need to be the night before. So, I would play in Naples that day and take the train directly to Civi (anywhere from 2.5-4 hours, depending on which) or Roma Termini (about an hour 10 min via the Frecciarossa "fast" train) and spend the night.

Because the Rome cruise port in Civitavecchia is located a long distance north of Rome, I'd recommend that you travel by train from Naples to Civitavecchia the afternoon prior to your cruise departure date. You can then easily transfer from the Naples/Rome train to the Rome/Civitavecchia train. It'll be less costly (transfer, hotel) and much less stressful.

http://cruiseports.ca/italy/civitavecchia-cruise-terminal.html

Because the Rome cruise port in Civitavecchia is located a long distance north of Rome, I'd recommend that you travel by train from Naples to Civitavecchia the afternoon prior to your cruise departure date. You can then easily transfer from the Naples/Rome train to the Rome/Civitavecchia train. It'll be less costly (transfer, hotel) and much less stressful.

http://cruiseports.ca/italy/civitavecchia-cruise-terminal.html

That doesn't make sense. The train travel to Civitavecchia is two segments. The first is Naples to Rome and the second is Rome to Civitavecchia. I could see your point if you said travel to Rome the day before the cruise and then to Civitavecchia the next day, but your plan makes no sense at all. Of course, I would recommend what others have here. Take the train from Naples to Civitavecchia the morning of the cruise. If you leave from Naples station at 8:30, you would transfer trains in Rome a little after 9:35 and then take a train 20 minutes later from Rome to Civitavecchia. Those take about 50 minutes. You'd be at the train station by 11 and at the cruise terminal 15 minutes later.

Another question - where is your first Port?

We booked a cruise out of Rome in Sept that had Naples as the first Port. We wanted to spend time in Amalfi so we changed our embarkment to Naples. This saved us a lot of time.