Transportation from Venice airport to pier

Welland

The easiest way is to simply walk outside the main entrance, over the taxi queue, and grab a land taxi. They will take you to the Port in about 20 min. It used to cost about 40 Euros but not sure of the current cost. There are several other options such as bus to Piazale Roma, Alilaguna boat (a very slow boat taking over an hour), or a water taxi (probably cost about 100 Euros).

Hank

Yes, Hank's suggestion is the practical one. :)

But you can choose to arrive in style by grabbing a water taxi. There's a desk in the arrivals area where you can pay for your water taxi, as he said about €100, and then walk on down to the dock and onto your private boat for delivery to your non-private boat! It's a beautiful ride across the lagoon.

Yes, Hank's suggestion is the practical one. :)

But you can choose to arrive in style by grabbing a water taxi. There's a desk in the arrivals area where you can pay for your water taxi, as he said about €100, and then walk on down to the dock and onto your private boat for delivery to your non-private boat! It's a beautiful ride across the lagoon.

You are right that those water taxis are a great way to enter Venice. Classy and romantic and worth the money for many of us. But did you ever wonder what happens if it is raining? :)

Hank

You are right that those water taxis are a great way to enter Venice. Classy and romantic and worth the money for many of us. But did you ever wonder what happens if it is raining? :)

Hank

Thanks to those who replied.

Appears the taxi is the easiest, albeit it not romantic.

You're going to be in Venice, how you get there doesn't have to be romantic.

We are going to take the ACTV bus into Venice and save the romance for the Grand Canal.:cool:

Instead of taking the ACTV bus (which is the regular local bus line) you might want to pay a few extra Euros and take the Express ATVO bus. The ATVO makes no stops and has plenty of underneath luggage storage. The ACTV, on the other hand, has no luggage storage area (other then a small overhead shelf and can limit your luggage to carry-on (this is up to the driver). For those others not familiar about what we speak, many of us use the bus that takes us from the airport to the Piazale Roma. From there, one can either access the vaporettos to go anywhere in Venice (or to the other islands in the Lagoon) or you could walk across the square and take the People Mover right over to the port.

Hank

After weighing up all the options that have been suggested, we have opted for the cruise line own transfer from Marco Polo to the cruise port. It is pretty staightforward and you are met at luggage collection at the airport. Your luggage is then taken and appears at your cabin later. The price was also very reasonable and certainly a lot cheaper than the various water transportation methods.It also avoids lugging your cases from the People Mover if you opt for the cheaper bus option to Piazzale Roma.

Thanks Hank;

We are taking the express bus with the storage area, sorry for not being clear.:cool:

Ahhh. Then be careful to get on the right bus. All the initials do get confusing. But for the knowledge of anyone reading this post the ACTV is the local company that operates the regular local buses and the Vaporetto (water bus) system that can take you around Venice or to any island in the lagoon. There are no vaporettos that go out to the airport.

The ATVO is a different company that operates several different bus routes. Their express bus between the airport and the Piazale Roma is a favorite of ours since its actually a very nice Coach bus with plenty of luggage space.

And then there is the Alilaguna which is another private company that operates water buses on a few routes. They do have a boat that runs between the airport and Venice (their Blu route) and offer several other routes around Venice. But they pale by comparison to the ACTV vaporetto system when it comes to basic transportation around Venice and throughout the Lagoon. I should add that Alilaguna Blu route can take you from the Airport pier to the Cruise port, but is takes over an hour! For those who do not care about the time it is a reasonably priced option and you do get a nice boat ride.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 3 weeks later...

Are taxis generally available from the Venice port to the Venice airport? We are flying out on the 10:10 am Delta flight to JFK. We are independent travelers and usually hail a cab. Our ship will have arrived the day before and I think we can get off the ship at any time. Our flight will be on a Tuesday in October. We are on Oceania Marina. I'm thinking we would need to be in a cab 6:45 or 7am.

Should I prebook a transfer, if so with who.

We've been to Venice before and took a cab from the airport to the pier. Once we took a ship transfer from the port but Oceania transfers are too expensive.

Thanks

We just got back, same deal with the overnight in Venice.

When we got off the ship the day before we had to depart there were plenty of taxi men there. We made arrangements with one to be there the next morning to take us to the airport. There were 4 of us, we went in a comfy minivan for 45 euro total. Couldn't have been easier!

• 2 weeks later...

When we got off the ship the day before we had to depart there were plenty of taxi men there. We made arrangements with one to be there the next morning to take us to the airport. There were 4 of us, we went in a comfy minivan for 45 euro total. Couldn't have been easier!

We also did this in June. Worked great.

We also did this in June. Worked great.

If you still have the details, please post the name and contact info of the company you used. Travellers frequently ask for the name of a car service or taxi company.

I would just like to clarify. Am I understanding that with an overnight in Venice you can debark at any time in the morning as long as you take your own luggage off?

We are planning to fly to Barcelona after the cruise and there is a non-stop that leave Marco Polo at 9:20a.m. next is at 4ish. Others make one or more stops and take all day! If we can leave the ship at 6 we should be ok.

Thanks.

Instead of taking the ACTV bus (which is the regular local bus line) you might want to pay a few extra Euros and take the Express ATVO bus. The ATVO makes no stops and has plenty of underneath luggage storage. The ACTV, on the other hand, has no luggage storage area (other then a small overhead shelf and can limit your luggage to carry-on (this is up to the driver). For those others not familiar about what we speak, many of us use the bus that takes us from the airport to the Piazale Roma. From there, one can either access the vaporettos to go anywhere in Venice (or to the other islands in the Lagoon) or you could walk across the square and take the People Mover right over to the port.

Hank

ACTV bus to the airport and AVTO bus are the same price - I think 6 Euros. Make sure you buy the right tickets. At the airport, they sell both ACTV and AVTO. I believe AVTO is advertised as "Venice Direct"

ACTV bus to the airport and AVTO bus are the same price - I think 6 Euros. Make sure you buy the right tickets. At the airport, they sell both ACTV and AVTO. I believe AVTO is advertised as "Venice Direct"

The "express" service is The ATVO coach from Marco Polo Airport to Venice Piazzale Roma costs €6,00 each way, or €11,00 for a round trip. It's by far your most convenient option if you're able to climb a few steps when boarding, since the coach has a luggage compartment underneath where you can stow your bags.

The ATVO stops are located on a strip of sidewalk between two vehicle lanes outside the arrivals and baggage-claim area, near doors C and D. (Caution: ATVO also runs buses to Mestre, Aviano, and other locations, so look for the "Venezia Piazzale Roma" or "Venice Express" sign before boarding.)

Buy your ticket at the ATVO/ACTV counter in the arrivals hall, from the ticket machines in the baggage-claim area, or from a ticket machine in the bus departure area.

Thanks for the helpful information, which I'll be using for a trip to Venice. Just a question (slightly off-topic, sorry!): I will be flying in and would like to take one of the buses to Piazalle Roma since the airport boats take so long to go to where I need to go to walk to the hotel. However, I am not staying right near Piazalle Roma (nothing under $350 a night was available!), and so I'll need to get to the Sant Angelo vaporetto stop. Is it possible to take luggage on the vaporetto, or do I need to check bags at Piazalle Roma and then get on a vaporetto with minimal "stuff"? Can you get on with a large backpack? Also, I read that there is luggage storage at the port (Maritima, I believe) when cruises are in. Does anyone know about this? I don't know if my cruise ship will be there on the day I arrive, but I assume SOME cruise ship will be!

The logistics are driving me nuts, and I'm trying to figure out how to get to the hotel with minimal time and hassle. I just booked for late September and there was very little in the way of choice of hotels, so I did the best I could. However, now I'm wondering just how long it's going to take us to get to our hotel from the airport, and how much hassle it will be after a pair of long flights!

Thanks for any answers you can give me about the vaporetto and the cruise port luggage situation.

Yes, you can take luggage on the Vaporetto but keep in mind that certain lines get VERY crowded during the day.

If your hotel is not prepaid, consider staying on the Mainland. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Mestre and it was very easy to get there by 10 minute bus from Piazzale Roma. To contrast, we stayed at the Molino Stucky on a prior visit and although the hotel was amazing, we chose not to stay there again because of logistics.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...

I am very interested in taking the water taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal. Yes it may cost more than a taxi but will I ever be in Venice again??? The question is the plane is supposed to land 11:15 am. I would like to be on the ship around 3:00 ish. Where do I get this water taxi and more important how long does it take to disembark the plane, get luggage etc etc???? How long is this ride? Has anyone does this within this time frame?

Thanks so very much.

I am very interested in taking the water taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal. Yes it may cost more than a taxi but will I ever be in Venice again??? The question is the plane is supposed to land 11:15 am. I would like to be on the ship around 3:00 ish. Where do I get this water taxi and more important how long does it take to disembark the plane, get luggage etc etc???? How long is this ride? Has anyone does this within this time frame?

Thanks so very much.

The news for you is all good since you can actually make your decision at the time. Assuming your flight is on time you should have your luggage and be ready to leave the airport around noon (plenty of time to get to the port). If you want to use the water taxis just follow the signs to the water taxi pier, which is a bit of a hike from the terminal building. Once at the pier you will normally be able to hire a water taxi to take you to the port. You might save a little money by pre-reserving a taxi online, but it is not necessary.

If you feel rushed or change your mind (especially if the weather is lousy) you can simply walk out of the terminal can grab a land taxi directly to the port. A cheaper alternative is to take the ATVO bus (they run about every 20 min) from the airport to the Piazale Roma, walk across the square (dragging all your luggage) to the People Mover station and take the People Mover over to the port.

Hank

The news for you is all good since you can actually make your decision at the time. Assuming your flight is on time you should have your luggage and be ready to leave the airport around noon (plenty of time to get to the port). If you want to use the water taxis just follow the signs to the water taxi pier, which is a bit of a hike from the terminal building. Once at the pier you will normally be able to hire a water taxi to take you to the port. You might save a little money by pre-reserving a taxi online, but it is not necessary.

If you feel rushed or change your mind (especially if the weather is lousy) you can simply walk out of the terminal can grab a land taxi directly to the port. A cheaper alternative is to take the ATVO bus (they run about every 20 min) from the airport to the Piazale Roma, walk across the square (dragging all your luggage) to the People Mover station and take the People Mover over to the port.

Hank

One comment to add, Hank. When we were there last time, we conducted our transaction at the desk in the arrivals hall, then walked down to the dock with our voucher. We noticed that we were able to get on a taxi faster than people who just walked down on their own. Price was the same. On a busy day, i.e. lots of cruisers arriving, it can save you a substantial (20-30 minute) wait.

Just booked the celebrity transfer to the ships. We arrive around 9 am. It looks like the transfer states 2pm. Anyone have experience with this? Certainly don't want to get to the boat so late.

are you saying that your arrive at the airport at 9am and the transfer doesn't leave until 2 ? It's only a 20 minute ride to the pier. No point in hanging around the airport ... when you've got your luggage, just catch a cab. around 40E