SO tempted to book a Grand Voyage

moonvine

What's stopping us is the airfare. Trying to formulate a strategy. We live within a couple of hours of Chicago. Wondering if it would be cheaper to book flights to/from Chicago. Problem there is paying for 3 weeks worth of car parking.

Anyone have any ideas?

What's stopping us is the airfare. Trying to formulate a strategy. We live within a couple of hours of Chicago. Wondering if it would be cheaper to book flights to/from Chicago. Problem there is paying for 3 weeks worth of car parking.

Anyone have any ideas?

We are booked for the Grand Voyage October 2015, Genoa to Miami. We live about an hour and forty five minutes from Miami International,,so we are using a car service to drive us to the airport and back. We used this same service when we flew to San Juan last March as well. It worked out great for us.

Anyone have any ideas?

Can you take a car service into Chicago? Or a bus? Or a combination? In other words....any way to leave the car at home.

A lot of times, if you book an airport hotel, they will offer free parking!! Check out the airport hotels. Spend the night close to the airport, take the shuttle to and from the airport and have a stress free start and end to your vacation!!:D

A lot of times, if you book an airport hotel, they will offer free parking!! Check out the airport hotels. Spend the night close to the airport, take the shuttle to and from the airport and have a stress free start and end to your vacation!!:D

That's an idea.

Anyone have any ideas?

Check all the airports within driving distance, you might be surprised. Agree with using a car service or having a friend do the driving, you put them up in a hotel for the night, they drive home the next day. :)

I prefer repositioning cruises to any other. There is a feeling of actually travelling somewhere rather than going for a sail round a pond. The people onboard are more of a similar mentality and better travelled. The cruise is a 'one-off' and not done on a weekly basis so it is more of a unique shared experience - even among the crew.

I can't comment on parking costs as I don't drive. I would never live anywhere more than an hour by public transport from an international airport, nor, in over forty towns and cities in five countries, have I done. By the same token, I wouldn't live more than a few minutes walk from a convenience shop or more than a few minutes cycle from a train station and supermarket. I know that is just me but it does make me unsympathetic to claims like "I couldn't live where I do without a car". Cart before horse.

However, I can comment about long-haul one-way flights to join or return from a repositioning cruise. They often cost more than a return flight and almost always a lot more than half the cost of a return. If you are not already collecting 'miles', points that can be converted to flights etc. start. Most schemes allow miles to be purchased and it is usually cheaper to buy the miles and redeem them for a flight than it is to buy a one-way long-haul flight. Either way, focus on collecting airline miles for future repositioning cruises!

Edited by Skipper Tim

Check out "park sleep fly dot com". We got a great deal for our upcoming cruise (used the AAA discount) and won't have to get up at 3am on travel day to make it to the airport in time! The hotel works out to about $20 for the night when you figure in the cost savings from the parking garage. Well worth it for us.

Trish

I prefer repositioning cruises to any other. There is a feeling of actually travelling somewhere rather than going for a sail round a pond. The people onboard are more of a similar mentality and better travelled. The cruise is a 'one-off' and not done on a weekly basis so it is more of a unique shared experience - even among the crew.

I can't comment on parking costs as I don't drive. I would never live anywhere more than an hour by public transport from an international airport, nor, in over forty towns and cities in five countries, have I done. By the same token, I wouldn't live more than a few minutes walk from a convenience shop or more than a few minutes cycle from a train station and supermarket. I know that is just me but it does make me unsympathetic to claims like "I couldn't live where I do without a car". Cart before horse.

However, I can comment about long-haul one-way flights to join or return from a repositioning cruise. They often cost more than a return flight and almost always a lot more than half the cost of a return. If you are not already collecting 'miles', points that can be converted to flights etc. start. Most schemes allow miles to be purchased and it is usually cheaper to buy the miles and redeem them for a flight than it is to buy a one-way long-haul flight. Either way, focus on collecting airline miles for future repositioning cruises!

Thank you for the advice. We live in the country at least 4-5 miles from the nearest store of any kind. Only a mile from the nearest vet though, so if we had a veterinary emergency and the car was broken down we could still get there, which is important to us. I have enough airline miles on Alaska airlines to go almost anywhere in the world but was saving them for an Australia flight. I used to have an Alaska airlines debit card I used for everything for years. Unfortunately my bank discontinued it:(. We are both disabled and don't do a ton of flying/traveling. Maybe I can find another miles debit card. The one way flight to Miami should not be bad as we can fly Southwest. I do know a lot of ways to get miles without actually flying but Michelle is never going to take the time to do all that.

Speaking of the cruise, do they keep serving the same menu over and over for 3 weeks or do they change it up?

Edited by moonvine

Speaking of the cruise, do they keep serving the same menu over and over for 3 weeks or do they change it up?

Very good question.

I bit the bullet and booked a TA for March 2015. Reading reviews from seasoned cruisers of TAs convinced me to give one a try. I must admit to a certain trepidation now that I've booked (and paid for) the flights. So many concerns - I'm really hoping that experienced repo-ers will contribute to this thread.

Moonvine, check some of the parking websites that sell parking in advance. I imagine I cannot list them on here but you might find a good deal on off airport parking prices at some of the hotels around the airport.

Thank you for the advice. We live in the country at least 4-5 miles from the nearest store of any kind. Only a mile from the nearest vet though, so if we had a veterinary emergency and the car was broken down we could still get there, which is important to us. I have enough airline miles on Alaska airlines to go almost anywhere in the world but was saving them for an Australia flight. I used to have an Alaska airlines debit card I used for everything for years. Unfortunately my bank discontinued it:(. We are both disabled and don't do a ton of flying/traveling. Maybe I can find another miles debit card. The one way flight to Miami should not be bad as we can fly Southwest. I do know a lot of ways to get miles without actually flying but Michelle is never going to take the time to do all that.

No the food is different each day. They intersperse the usual Italian regional menus with those of other countries. Varies depending on the itinerary e.g we had a Braziloan night on a Douth America Repo. Also expect stuff like French, German, Ssian, Oriental etc etc.

Very good question.

I bit the bullet and booked a TA for March 2015. Reading reviews from seasoned cruisers of TAs convinced me to give one a try. I must admit to a certain trepidation now that I've booked (and paid for) the flights. So many concerns - I'm really hoping that experienced repo-ers will contribute to this thread.

The main difference between a regular 'circular' cruise and a repositioning cruise is the higher number of sea days on the latter. The thought of being away from land for days on end worries some people. The trick, as with other cruises, is to pick the time of year to suit the cruising area. The thought of being 'refugeed' below decks for consecutive sea days while cold or wet weather is blowing on deck is not an attractive one. However, settling back on a sunny deck with a book, dipping into a jacuzzi and sipping a cold beer while taking the air is an altogether different prospect.

The ship takes on a greater importance when you spend more time on it. It becomes more of the 'destination' especially as ports of call may be chosen more for their convenient location along the way and low port fees rather than their intrinsic attractiveness from a visitor's point of view. Thing of it as a moving hotel holiday with some potential for excursions along the way but usually less often than a regular cruise. Relax, you are onboard and don't have to do anything.

Of course there are all the regular organised entertainment activities going on and there may even be extra ones laid on - such as talks in the theatre (different times for different languages), extra organised or themed get-togethers, etc.. I usually, having picked out a couple of things to drop-in on, fold up the non-sales part of the daily programme pop it in a pocket and refer to it through the day.

MSC's term 'Grand Voyages' may have been invented in their marketing department but repositioning cruises are reminiscent of the old liner passages before the days of air travel. There is a certain excitement crossing oceans and perhaps even the equator by sea.

Edited by Skipper Tim

The main difference between a regular 'circular' cruise and a repositioning cruise is the higher number of sea days on the latter. The thought of being away from land for days on end worries some people. The trick, as with other cruises, is to pick the time of year to suit the cruising area. The thought of being 'refugeed' below decks for consecutive sea days while cold or wet weather is blowing on deck is not an attractive one. However, settling back on a sunny deck with a book, dipping into a jacuzzi and sipping a cold beer while taking the air is an altogether different prospect.

The ship takes on a greater importance when you spend more time on it. It becomes more of the 'destination' especially as ports of call may be chosen more for their convenient location along the way and low port fees rather than their intrinsic attractiveness from a visitor's point of view. Thing of it as a moving hotel holiday with some potential for excursions along the way but usually less often than a regular cruise. Relax, you are onboard and don't have to do anything.

Of course there are all the regular organised entertainment activities going on and there may even be extra ones laid on - such as talks in the theatre (different times for different languages), extra organised or themed get-togethers, etc.. I usually, having picked out a couple of things to drop-in on, fold up the non-sales part of the daily programme pop it in a pocket and refer to it through the day.

MSC's term 'Grand Voyages' may have been invented in their marketing department but repositioning cruises are reminiscent of the old liner passages before the days of air travel. There is a certain excitement crossing oceans and perhaps even the equator by sea.

Thanks for that, Tim. That's the kind of general info I'm seeking.

One of the reasons for choosing this particular cruise is that it's quite port-intensive as repos go so only a third will entail sea days.

I'm not concerned about being bored - I've been on a couple of cruises where the ship was the destination. This will be my third trip on Preziosa so I know where I like to hang out. I'm not a pool or hot-tub person so weather won't bother me. I'll load up a couple of movies on my laptop just in case. (Must check out Cruisetrail's pics of the back of the TVs for connections :D).

My concerns relate mainly to rough seas, having experienced them before and this time I've chosen an aft cabin. I've read so many positive comments about these (including your own with your "Juliet" balcony) that I couldn't resist trying one out. I'm just hoping I won't regret it :rolleyes: I also wonder if I'll get bored dining night after night in the MDR. I've never had dinner in the buffet - maybe this presents an opportunity to try it out :)

(Must check out Cruisetrail's pics of the back of the TVs for connections :D).

That is the one thing I have in common with Cruisetrail. I took a photo of and described the connections on the TV but only upon request during the blog. I think Cruisetrail copied me!

My concerns relate mainly to rough seas, having experienced them before and this time I've chosen an aft cabin. I've read so many positive comments about these (including your own with your "Juliet" balcony) that I couldn't resist trying one out. I'm just hoping I won't regret it :rolleyes:

I am the first to suffer from any form of motion sickness. I get seasick on a five-minute car journey. Yes an aft cabin will suffer from pitching more than most but not as much as the Yacht Club suites :). I also chose a cabin as close to the centre-line or keel-line of the ship to minimise rolling. The roll is mostly taken care of by the stabilisers - unless it gets too rough to use them. I really only used my cabin to sleep, change and wash in. I am not a party animal at all but most of my waking hours on a repo cruise seemed to be taken up by "an endless series of social engagements".

If ever I woke up feeling I had had a rough night - down to the sea state or the previous night's poisoning, I would head for a quiet spot mid-ships on pool deck where there is least movement. Writing those blogs on my iPad in those locations was, at times, invaluable for distracting me from the way I felt!

You can get rough weather any time - it only takes a few hours of wind blowing in the same direction. It is hardly restricted to repos. It is just luck. At least when you are in the middle of the Ocean the waves are far longer and far more regular and therefore easier to get used to.

I also wonder if I'll get bored dining night after night in the MDR. I've never had dinner in the buffet - maybe this presents an opportunity to try it out :)

Oh you should certainly try the buffet for dinner. I usually arrange one with other people we meet onboard not on our table just for a change. However, I find that one's table mates get ever more interesting, honest and entertaining on a longer voyage. At the end of a repo, you will never forget them.

The caveat is if you think there may be an issue with them, sort it out immediately - after the first encounter - change tables etc. rather than let it spoil your extended voyage.

I only had an issue on the Fantasia when there were simply too many of us for the table - 10 at an 8 table. If you read that blog you know the story.

I have loved the company in the MDRs on all my repos, diverse as it has been. I would go as far as to say it has been the highlight of every repo cruise, thus far.

Oh, I must book another....

Edited by Skipper Tim

Cheers, Tim.

The one thing I'm really looking forward to is the different "vibe" I reckon there is on a repo. I imagine there's a more laid-back atmosphere due to there being plenty of time onboard to find one's way around over the course of the trip.

Bytheway, I laughed at the "I'm not a party animal" comment. I think you need to reread your blog :)

Just for curiosity, what is the airfare you are worried about? From Chicago to Genoa? Did you try a throw away airfare. Book the roundtrip, don't use the return portion, Do NOT tell the airline you don't plan to use the return. Have you tried air consolidators? Does MSC have an air department like Royal does/

MSC does have an air department, I sometimes use them to get the cost down of those one way long haul flights. I'm not sure this is something the US office offers though. May be because they don't get so many passengers wanting to fly overseas.

Bea, you're right repos have a different vibe. It is more laid back and relaxing but also more sociable. People talk more to others than normally. I can't say I've ever got tired of my table companions. We usially have more of a laugh as the cruise progresses. I always go for a table of 8 - that seems to keep the conversation flowing......

Bea, you're right repos have a different vibe. It is more laid back and relaxing but also more sociable. People talk more to others than normally. I can't say I've ever got tired of my table companions. We usially have more of a laugh as the cruise progresses. I always go for a table of 8 - that seems to keep the conversation flowing......

I'm hoping that's how it will be for me, Mairi. I'm taking a tip from Tim, though, to sort it out sooner than later if there are any issues in that area. It could be the making or breaking of the trip if there was any kind of unpleasant experience in the MDR.......and it's too big (and costly!) a trip to have it spoilt if it can be avoided.

Did you ever feel obliged to go to dinner? What I mean is would you go rather than leave an empty seat at the table? I've always travelled with my parents so haven't had to consider other table companions before. Although, my very first cruise back in 2000 there were five couples in all at our table. It never crossed my mind not to go to dinner in the MDR, not because of others, though. Then I didn't know anything else. To me it was like being in a hotel where you wouldn't do anything else but go to the restaurant for dinner. It even surprised me that one particular couple missed dinner on several nights.

I'm not sure that I'll want to go night after night to the same dining room - I tend to get bored of it on a seven-night cruise :rolleyes: I think this is one of the main subjects I have misgivings about.

Another is rough seas - I'm imagining crossing the Atlantic is going to be great fun altogether! I've read through reviews of repos looking for mention of the subject and it never seems to crop up so it mustn't be a major issue.

I'm wondering what kind of temperatures to expect. It will probably be quite warm in Brazil. We're sailing to the Canaries so I'm assuming we'll be far enough south for the weather to be warm on the crossing.

Also, is there a fuss made about crossing the Equator on MSC?

Chances are there will be a lot of Brazilians onboard. How will that affect the vibe, I wonder? I imagine they're very gregarious - will the volume be ratcheted up? Being a fan of the MSC Med vibe, will this be a totally different experience?

Edited by Beamafar

I'm hoping that's how it will be for me, Mairi. I'm taking a tip from Tim, though, to sort it out sooner than later if there are any issues in that area. It could be the making or breaking of the trip if there was any kind of unpleasant experience in the MDR.......and it's too big (and costly!) a trip to have it spoilt if it can be avoided.

Did you ever feel obliged to go to dinner? What I mean is would you go rather than leave an empty seat at the table? I've always travelled with my parents so haven't had to consider other table companions before. Although, my very first cruise back in 2000 there were five couples in all at our table. It never crossed my mind not to go to dinner in the MDR, not because of others, though. Then I didn't know anything else. To me it was like being in a hotel where you wouldn't do anything else but go to the restaurant for dinner. It even surprised me that one particular couple missed dinner on several nights.

I'm not sure that I'll want to go night after night to the same dining room - I tend to get bored of it on a seven-night cruise :rolleyes: I think this is one of the main subjects I have misgivings about.

Absences from the MDR are either planned (for a break) or unplanned (e.g. illness, tiredness etc.). If planned, tell your table mates the night before not to expect you. If unplanned, try to send word to the table not to expect you. Both are courteous and forestalls any possible future friction and others on the table may also decide it is the night for a break. A tiny minority feel uncomfortable at formal dinners and avoid them. Similarly, I would be more inclined to take a buffet break on a casual night :).

I agree 100% with Mairi's table for 8 suggestion. On a table for 6 you really feel the hole left by an absent couple. 10 is too many to be able to hear everyone and you end up mostly talking to those nearest.

Another is rough seas - I'm imagining crossing the Atlantic is going to be great fun altogether! I've read through reviews of repos looking for mention of the subject and it never seems to crop up so it mustn't be a major issue.

The benefit of consecutive sea days is that your brain gets used to the movement of the ship so that even if it gets rougher, you don't feel it as much as you would if you were spending more time ashore or in port. If you do feel it, head midships outside, sit down and look at the horizon!

What determines the size of the waves is the strength of the wind, the depth of the water to an extent and how long the wind blows for - time and distance. The last is called 'the fetch'. It only takes a fetch of a mile or so for the waves to match the strength of the wind. There is no more reason to have bigger waves in the middle of the Atlantic than a few miles off shore.

I'm wondering what kind of temperatures to expect. It will probably be quite warm in Brazil. We're sailing to the Canaries so I'm assuming we'll be far enough south for the weather to be warm on the crossing.

It will be warm from Brazil all the way - it is practically all tropical. If it is cloudy or wet in the Canaries, you may need an extra layer only then. Going ashore in Brazil, if the sun is out, may be very hot.

Yes, the entertainment team will hold a 'King Neptune ceremony' at the main pool. Some feel the need to do it once. Not I. If you cross the equator at a time not convenient for celebrating, the official crossing time will be conveniently moved.

Chances are there will be a lot of Brazilians onboard. How will that affect the vibe, I wonder? I imagine they're very gregarious - will the volume be ratcheted up? Being a fan of the MSC Med vibe, will this be a totally different experience?

Going north, it is a younger crowd. Many are young Brazilians going to Europe for the Summer. They know how to party. As I haven't done a regular Med cruise I can't really comment directly on the difference except with the crowd going south before Christmas who seemed to be more gaggles of latino grandmothers. There will also be a quorate of Brazillian staff (to comply with Brazilian labour laws) ending their tour of duty and they add quite a vibe too. There will be Brazilian drinks available, Brazilian music and some Brazilian food items on the menus and in the buffet. A great and unique experience overall!

If you want peace, get up early!

Absences from the MDR are either planned (for a break) or unplanned (e.g. illness, tiredness etc.). If planned, tell your table mates the night before not to expect you. If unplanned, try to send word to the table not to expect you. Both are courteous and forestalls any possible future friction and others on the table may also decide it is the night for a break.

Great tip, Tim. I've already experienced an awkward situation on my last cruise. We'd met a lovely couple from Australia who'd met a couple - she was Irish, her partner French living in Ireland - and we agreed to have dinner together one night (this was in YC). We had a lovely time but the following day was a sea day and DH and I didn't see them all that day as we hung out "in steerage" in the Casino and we had lunch in La Palmeraie whereas they were at the pool. That evening myself and DH went to dinner at our usual table for two. The others came over to us and asked where we'd been all day. I think they'd assumed we'd all dine again together having done it the night before.

A tiny minority feel uncomfortable at formal dinners and avoid them. Similarly, I would be more inclined to take a buffet break on a casual night :).

I'd be the same - we love to dress for Gala nights.

I agree 100% with Mairi's table for 8 suggestion. On a table for 6 you really feel the hole left by an absent couple. 10 is too many to be able to hear everyone and you end up mostly talking to those nearest.

Again, agree totally.

The benefit of consecutive sea days is that your brain gets used to the movement of the ship so that even if it gets rougher, you don't feel it as much as you would if you were spending more time ashore or in port. If you do feel it, head midships outside, sit down and look at the horizon!

I always loved the feel of the ship in rough seas when in the Casino - rolling about trying to hold onto the stool, I felt was great fun, altogether. What a great excuse I'll have to convince DH that I'm only in the Casino because it's midships :D My problem is during the night - I find it very difficult to sleep with the ship creaking and groaning - it scares the bejabus out of me! Memories of front-facing cabin 16003 haunt me :eek:

What determines the size of the waves is the strength of the wind, the depth of the water to an extent and how long the wind blows for - time and distance. The last is called 'the fetch'. It only takes a fetch of a mile or so for the waves to match the strength of the wind. There is no more reason to have bigger waves in the middle of the Atlantic than a few miles off shore.

That is good to know.

It will be warm from Brazil all the way - it is practically all tropical. If it is cloudy or wet in the Canaries, you may need an extra layer only then. Going ashore in Brazil, if the sun is out, may be very hot.

Great :)

Yes, the entertainment team will hold a 'King Neptune ceremony' at the main pool. Some feel the need to do it once. Not I. If you cross the equator at a time not convenient for celebrating, the official crossing time will be conveniently moved.

Will have to keep an eye out for that.

Going north, it is a younger crowd. Many are young Brazilians going to Europe for the Summer. They know how to party. As I haven't done a regular Med cruise I can't really comment directly on the difference except with the crowd going south before Christmas who seemed to be more gaggles of latino grandmothers. There will also be a quorate of Brazillian staff (to comply with Brazilian labour laws) ending their tour of duty and they add quite a vibe too. There will be Brazilian drinks available, Brazilian music and some Brazilian food items on the menus and in the buffet. A great and unique experience overall!

Looking forward to that, so. I love samba :D

If you want peace, get up early!

It's not peace I'm after - I was often one of the last to leave the Safari Lounge when the bands finished LOL. I just hope the Brazilians leave me a little space on the dancefloor ;)

No I've never felt obligated to go to the MDR each night. If I know for definite I'm not going the next night, say I'm booked at a speciality restaurant, then I tell my table companions and waiter. I also tell them never to wait for me. If I'm not there withing 5 minutes or so, then I'm most likely not coming. I maybe only skip 3 or 4 nights tops on a 19 night cruise. One will be to have my free dinner in the a la carte (I may take someone with me if we are hitting it off), one could be the dinner with the officers (although that tends to be lunch more often than not on repos) and I may be underbthe weather and just not feel like it 1 or 2 nights.

Rough seas you can get anywhere, as Tim says. I was nervous before my first repo - sailing Dec 26 th out of Genoa. It was only my second cruise. I'd had to pay 100% supplement on the fly/cruise price so I took a friend with me for just the price of the shuttle from Edinburgh to Gatwick! It was her first cruise. We were both worried about the 5 day ocean crossing and were confused about what to pack for different weather.

Well it was snowing the day we left the UK and worse in North Italy. We were on the Opera in a balcony cabin on deck 10. First night between genoa and Monte Carlo, the waves were hitting our balcony door during the night. Needless to say we were both terrified of what the middle of the Atlantic would be like if this was how bad it was in the Med (neither of us were seasick though). Each day the weather got progressively better and the crossing was like a mill pond.

We packed for one week winter weather, one week summer/beach stuff and a week in between. Layers we thought were the way to go. We only needed winter stuff for 3 days and were in shorts and tea shirts for 2 weeks. Ran out of stuff to wear and had to use the laundry and hand wash other stuff. Our balcony looked like Wishy Washy's laundry some days!

I've sailed from Argentina at the same time of year as you. It will be in high 20s/low 30s all the way up the Brazilian Coast. May get a few tropical short sharp downpours around Salvador. On the crossing, the weather will start cooling a bit. We didn't get a real drop until we got to Vigo. It was still really nice in Lisbon. Even Dover wasn't bad - quite a nice spring day when we disembarked but I was glad to have jeans and a lightweight fleece.

They will do a Neptune ceremony for the Equator crossing. If it occurs duringnthe night, it will be scheduled for the following morning - usually around 11. If passengers actually want to take part, you register the day before. Otherwise just turn up at the appointed hour on the pool deck and watch the volunteers get covered in baked beans or whatever and chucked in the pool from a safe distance. They sometimes issue a certificate to all to day you've crossed the Equator.

I found the Brazilians a lot of fun. They are a bit noisier than the Italians but most of them really good fun. Swimsuits are definitely on the miniscule side (both sexes). They like to samba or sing whenever. Some seem to hog the beverage station taking flasks to fill rather than just a cup. Being on Allegrissimo, they could take the lot for all I cared - I got the decent stuff from a bar. Not all speak English but I had fun with some using Spanish and Latin. So, yes a different vibe from med sailings but then all repos are. Far fewer families with kids, more solos and more older people and more well travelled folk. You often get more English speakers onboard.

I love em. Would happily do 2 a year if my holidays stretched that far. Often a e week repo costs me the same or less than a week in the summer in the Med.

No I've never felt obligated to go to the MDR each night. If I know for definite I'm not going the next night, say I'm booked at a speciality restaurant, then I tell my table companions and waiter. I also tell them never to wait for me. If I'm not there withing 5 minutes or so, then I'm most likely not coming. I maybe only skip 3 or 4 nights tops on a 19 night cruise. One will be to have my free dinner in the a la carte (I may take someone with me if we are hitting it off), one could be the dinner with the officers (although that tends to be lunch more often than not on repos) and I may be underbthe weather and just not feel like it 1 or 2 nights.

Rough seas you can get anywhere, as Tim says. I was nervous before my first repo - sailing Dec 26 th out of Genoa. It was only my second cruise. I'd had to pay 100% supplement on the fly/cruise price so I took a friend with me for just the price of the shuttle from Edinburgh to Gatwick! It was her first cruise. We were both worried about the 5 day ocean crossing and were confused about what to pack for different weather.

Well it was snowing the day we left the UK and worse in North Italy. We were on the Opera in a balcony cabin on deck 10. First night between genoa and Monte Carlo, the waves were hitting our balcony door during the night. Needless to say we were both terrified of what the middle of the Atlantic would be like if this was how bad it was in the Med (neither of us were seasick though). Each day the weather got progressively better and the crossing was like a mill pond.

We packed for one week winter weather, one week summer/beach stuff and a week in between. Layers we thought were the way to go. We only needed winter stuff for 3 days and were in shorts and tea shirts for 2 weeks. Ran out of stuff to wear and had to use the laundry and hand wash other stuff. Our balcony looked like Wishy Washy's laundry some days!

I've sailed from Argentina at the same time of year as you. It will be in high 20s/low 30s all the way up the Brazilian Coast. May get a few tropical short sharp downpours around Salvador. On the crossing, the weather will start cooling a bit. We didn't get a real drop until we got to Vigo. It was still really nice in Lisbon. Even Dover wasn't bad - quite a nice spring day when we disembarked but I was glad to have jeans and a lightweight fleece.

They will do a Neptune ceremony for the Equator crossing. If it occurs duringnthe night, it will be scheduled for the following morning - usually around 11. If passengers actually want to take part, you register the day before. Otherwise just turn up at the appointed hour on the pool deck and watch the volunteers get covered in baked beans or whatever and chucked in the pool from a safe distance. They sometimes issue a certificate to all to day you've crossed the Equator.

I found the Brazilians a lot of fun. They are a bit noisier than the Italians but most of them really good fun. Swimsuits are definitely on the miniscule side (both sexes). They like to samba or sing whenever. Some seem to hog the beverage station taking flasks to fill rather than just a cup. Being on Allegrissimo, they could take the lot for all I cared - I got the decent stuff from a bar. Not all speak English but I had fun with some using Spanish and Latin. So, yes a different vibe from med sailings but then all repos are. Far fewer families with kids, more solos and more older people and more well travelled folk. You often get more English speakers onboard.

I love em. Would happily do 2 a year if my holidays stretched that far. Often a e week repo costs me the same or less than a week in the summer in the Med.

Cheers, Mairi. I was hoping you and Tim would share your experiences here. You'll understand the pre-conceptions and reservations prior to a repo and also as we discussed before, the different vibe onboard. You've also covered another subject - packing suitable clothing for differing climates. I'm going to the Canaries on Fantasia in December so hopefully it'll give me some insights. Although packing for 3 weeks is daunting - as someone who brings 3 outfits for each day I'm already trying out Tim's tips regarding my wardrobe. I'll also use 1 of MSC's marketing slogans they had for their pricings KIS - Keep It Simple LOL!