Suite upgrades worth it?

tedcruise

Here's a link to the review I did of the cruise and the Neptune Suite. It was in 2012 so I am sure that things have changed since then. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=96447

I truly believe that what we experienced was not the norm. But, even though we were upgraded to a SB, we did pay the full rate for the SC and were very disappointed. And to be honest, the experience was so poor that we still are not willing to chance it and book another Neptune Suite. We have had many sailings since on different ships, alternating between regular verandahs and vista suites. We actually booked a Vista Suite yesterday on the K for a Norway sailing next year. Can't wait. :)

One thing I will say about upgrade offers is if the price is right, it is a wonderful opportunity for you to try another cabin category on for size.

Thanks for your response. I read the review and I would be livid also if the suite looked like it hadn't been cleaned correctly.

We had a similar experience on Celebrity years ago with the birthday cake that was supposed to be delivered to the dining room and did not arrive. They ended up bringing it to the cabin at 11:00 PM! Unbelievable. But since then we've had other suites and everything was wonderful.

I think a lot depends on the stateroom attendants and we've had a few that were not very good but most have been spectacular.

I am curious about this too. The space, the double sinks (on your ship) the shower and separate bathtub (on your ship) are wonderful.

Space and concierge are wonderful. Hope cb reports why. I am really curious.

Don't worry about what you have booked. It's a great cabin and I hope you love it :)

Thanks. I think we'll be OK and I hope we have a better experience than cb did.

Just received an email from HAL offering an upgrade from a Verandah to a Signature Suite for $800 for two. Besides more room, how much difference is there between the two cabins? Are there perks that go with being in a suite?

It's a 12 night cruise so it's about $67/day. I have no clue whether I'm missing out on a deal or are they are just trying to fill up empty suites.

Any wisdom will be appreciated.

We did a 12 day cruise on the Oosterdam and took the $800 upgrade from Vereradah to SS. SO GLAD WE DID. the ship had just come out of dry dock and the SS was brand new. Loved all the space. The bathroom alone was worth it. Would do it again if had the option but I would not book it that way upfront.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Got offer couldn't refuse early this year for Feb 7 day on Westerdam eastern Caribbean. Signature Suite for price of OV so grabbed it immediately. Had just returned from 11 day cruise in Dec so hadn't planned on going out again so soon. Had always done Veranda cabins before, but the SS gives 50% more room which is very nice, especially on longer itineraries, and bathroom much nicer as already discussed here, much roomier veranda. Unfortunately don't think we will like going back to verandas so both good and bad as you get so spoiled with the signature suites. Can't afford Neptune but maybe some day will get offer can't refuse for one of those. I keep hoping anyway.

Signature suites have proven to be the best fit for us. We started out in a OV, then a regular balcony cabin and even tried a Neptune once.

We tend to take longish cruises and appreciate the extra storage and closet space in the SS cabins.

My husband has great difficulty with the high sided tubs so the free standing shower in the SS cabins is a Godsend for us. The double sinks are also a great extra because we don't share well. :)

Because the balcony is larger there is a room for a table suitable for dining and we enjoy room service breakfasts out there when the weather is warm.

There is room to have some friends in for drinks before dinner. We had eight invited guests on our South Pacific cruise in April and it worked well.

The one time we took a Neptune suite we found that we rarely used the Neptune Lounge even though we were located right across the hall from it.

We have been getting free laundry, priority boarding and priority tendering for a long time as we are five star Mariners, so that is not an enticement to book a Neptune. The SS category is just perfect for us.

Double Mariner points for Vista and up!

On our Voyage of the Vikings, the Vista started at $13,999 and Lanai $11,999. Don't remember what they settled with. But on Vista, we got a little more room and private balcony, for I wouldn't say a little more, but twice the credit for $2,000 more!

Nice!

Always check the suite prices. Once we booked a Junior Suite for only $20 more than the Superior Balcony.

Edited by knittinggirl

Signature suites have proven to be the best fit for us. We started out in a OV, then a regular balcony cabin and even tried a Neptune once.

We tend to take longish cruises and appreciate the extra storage and closet space in the SS cabins.

My husband has great difficulty with the high sided tubs so the free standing shower in the SS cabins is a Godsend for us. The double sinks are also a great extra because we don't share well. :)

Because the balcony is larger there is a room for a table suitable for dining and we enjoy room service breakfasts out there when the weather is warm.

There is room to have some friends in for drinks before dinner. We had eight invited guests on our South Pacific cruise in April and it worked well.

The one time we took a Neptune suite we found that we rarely used the Neptune Lounge even though we were located right across the hall from it.

We have been getting free laundry, priority boarding and priority tendering for a long time as we are five star Mariners, so that is not an enticement to book a Neptune. The SS category is just perfect for us.

How about breakfast in the Pinnacle? Can SS cabins go there?

Did you go there when you were in the Neptune Suite?

I did ask the question recently about the Neptune Suites on deck 6 vs deck 7 and for the same category if the only difference is that the Neptune lounge is on deck 7 but nobody answered. We are booked on Eurodam on deck 6.

I did ask the question recently about the Neptune Suites on deck 6 vs deck 7 and for the same category if the only difference is that the Neptune lounge is on deck 7 but nobody answered. We are booked on Eurodam on deck 6.

All Neptune Suites can go to the Pinnacle Grill/whatever breakfast location is allocated for them (on S & R ships, may not bethe Pinnacle Grill).

SS category cannot go to the PG for breakfast.

For deck 6, the Neptunes may have a slightly smaller cabin (SB category I think?) but not by much. Those Neptune Suites receive all the benefits that those on deck 7 do, they are just further away from the Neptune Lounge.

All Neptune Suites can go to the Pinnacle Grill/whatever breakfast location is allocated for them (on S & R ships, may not bethe Pinnacle Grill).

SS category cannot go to the PG for breakfast.

For deck 6, the Neptunes may have a slightly smaller cabin (SB category I think?) but not by much. Those Neptune Suites receive all the benefits that those on deck 7 do, they are just further away from the Neptune Lounge.

Thanks. I think we have an SA but I'll have to check,

As Kazu said, the SS suite people cannot eat breakfast in the Pinnacle.

We tried the Pinnacle once for breakfast when we had the Neptune suite and then went back to the Lido. We just liked it better even though we love the Pinnacle in the evening. That is just us---some love the Pinnacle for breakfast.

Got offer couldn't refuse early this year for Feb 7 day on Westerdam eastern Caribbean. Signature Suite for price of OV so grabbed it immediately. Had just returned from 11 day cruise in Dec so hadn't planned on going out again so soon. Had always done Veranda cabins before, but the SS gives 50% more room which is very nice, especially on longer itineraries, and bathroom much nicer as already discussed here, much roomier veranda. Unfortunately don't think we will like going back to verandas so both good and bad as you get so spoiled with the signature suites. Can't afford Neptune but maybe some day will get offer can't refuse for one of those. I keep hoping anyway.

We were offered a Neptune "upsell" for our 14 day Australia Cruise. $400 pp. ($5000 more had we booked from the start) it was an aft wrap, (Noordam 7142) we had never sailed in an aft cabin nor a Neptune Suite. Let me tell you...you DO get spoiled. WOW ....... Neptune. Wrap balcony. We will feel like we are in closet in a "regular veranda" now. LOL

Edited by ibfishing2
spelling

Thanks. I think we'll be OK and I hope we have a better experience than cb did.

We were offered and upsell in 2012 from Signature suite to Neptune suite so we took it. We had an amazing cruise, there were 8 of us (four cabins) all took the upsell. We thoroughly enjoyed the Neptune lounge and used it frequently for coffee on our balcony etc (Alaska Cruise Westerdam). our cabin was awesome as were the room stewards and clean (one of our group is OCD so checked everything). Had an amazing time so the next time we booked a Neptune suite on the westerdam was 2014 and we did an aft balcony, again loved the breakfast, room was clean, room stewards we on point. Only downfall on this cruise was weather and balcony not being able to be used much :(. We just booked another cruise coming in March to Panama on Zueirdam and again booked the aft balcony but chose one that is mostly covered so maybe we will get to use it more ;) we also hooked the explore 4 deal so we are really looking forward to it. You will have a great cruise! remember if you don't like the bottle of champagne see the gals in the Neptune lounge and they might exchange it for you for a diff wine!