Vision of the Seas Grand Suite noise

I have Grand Suite 8518 booked on Vision for a transatlantic cruise, and I am worrying about the noise from Windjammer. I can handle noise when it is a short cruise, but with 16 days, I'm wondering what I can expect. Can anyone help with their own experiences either in this room or other Vision GS's. Thanks.

We have had GS 8016 on the port side with no noise issues. We also had OS 8502 on the starboard side and had not problems with noise.

When looking at the deck plans for deck 9 it seems a little deceptive, unless they have recently added an 'outdoor' seating area for WJ on Vision.

I have been on Vision 5 times and I seem to recall that they use the entrance next to the elevators on the starboard side mostly for WJ entrance.

GS 8518 actually appears to be under the outside deck area where they do have a beverage service area and the smokers congregate on the starboard side outdoor tables there. This area is also where they put the stage when they have deck parties a couple of nights during the sailing.

I think the problem that has been reported on the starboard deck 8 suites is the movement of carts back and forth between the WJ and the storage and crew area that is just past where the word 'whirlpools' is printed on the deck plans.

I have the exact fear! Booked 8506 because it did not have inside cabins across from it (because inside cabins can sometimes have slamming doors). Now I am super worried about Windjammer noise, especially early in the morning.

Last cruise our cabin was just below the Park Cafe...a nightmare! Rolling carts nonstop from about 6 am to 1 am.... So loud. They rolled them over tiles and we heard so much noise overhead. Not sleeping for night after night made for an unpleasant cruise! :(

Why don't these ship planners put sound barriers between public areas and their highest priced cabins?

Anyone stay in 8506? Am I worrying for nothing?

I'll be in GS 8508 in a few weeks. I'll try to remember to report back about any noise. I read a review of someone that stayed in this same room, who said they did have some early morning cart noise from above.

While cruising, I tend to drink a fair amount of adult beverages after dinner, so I usually have no problem sleeping well. :cool:

Dan.

I was in 8502 last year, after the refurbishment, and that OS is directly below the Windjammer. The noise was minimal, but on a few mornings......early, like 5 AM, we could hear some chairs being moved.

I also have had my in laws in 8508, a GS, and they never had any complaints, but then again, they were both partially hard of hearing.

We have stayed in 8002, 8500, and 8502, on the Vision, and the problems have been minimal. Unless 10 to 15 minutes of chairs being moved, sometime before dawn, each morning, will drive you crazy, then you need to be in a JS further back.

I personally think that you will have a great time in that GS, and the noise, save for once in a great while, should not bother you.:);)

Rick

• 2 months later...
I'll be in GS 8508 in a few weeks. I'll try to remember to report back about any noise. I read a review of someone that stayed in this same room, who said they did have some early morning cart noise from above.

While cruising, I tend to drink a fair amount of adult beverages after dinner, so I usually have no problem sleeping well. :cool:

Dan.

Dan, are you back from your cruise? Can you update us on noise issue? Thanks!

I had GS 8506 back in February and rolling carts day and night were very annoying!! I complained and they threw some FCC my way, but otherwise no change in staff duties rolling carts over tiled serving area of WJ. Very bad design of this old ship, but I didn't let it spoil my cruise :)

Edited by txcowboy10

Hello...We are going on the Vision next Sunday for a 13 night European cruise and are in 8047 which is a Panoramic Outside Cabin. It was too late to change at this point, and, we are hoping the noise level will be bearable.

I say that because we just returned from the Grandeur, and, were in JS 8044. Never Again!!! We did not sleep at all until after 1 in the morning each night, and, always had noise all day long when we happened to be in our cabin.

I walked up to the 9th floor to see why there was this unbearable noise and learned, that our cabin was right above one of the entrances, above a flight of stairs going up from the pool deck to another set of outside stairs, chair movement all over the place, and the real culprit...4-ping pong tables right above us. People were playing ping pong 14-16 hours straight, and young kids were just running back and forth around those ping pong tables.

So, we took it in stride, we are not mad, but, realized that it is probably better to always have a cabin in between floors. That 8th deck on any Vision Class ship is asking for some noise trouble in certain locations of the deck.

Dave

I had GS 8506 back in February and rolling carts day and night were very annoying!! I complained and they threw some FCC my way, but otherwise no change in staff duties rolling carts over tiled serving area of WJ. Very bad design of this old ship, but I didn't let it spoil my cruise :)

Oh no! Now I am completely worried! We have had this cruise booked for almost a year. Can't change cabins, as GS sold out. I am a person who needs sleep and lots of noise will be a problem. I am ok with carts for 30 minutes a day, but day and night!! Not good.

As I had mentioned in my previous post. I think it depends where your 8th floor cabin is located as to whether or not there could be a noise issue. And,being open minded, I suppose noise above one cabin on one cruise doesn't necessarily mean it will noisy again or as bad on the next cruise.

Dan, are you back from your cruise? Can you update us on noise issue? Thanks!

Lawgirl - sorry I forgot to come back.

There was cart noise from above in the GS (8508) we were in. We were rarely in the room during the day, and often returned late at night, so it never bothered us during those times.

However, early in the morning it could be heard. I guess when they were setting the Windjammer up for breakfast. If you are a light sleeper, sleep in late, and/or have trouble falling back asleep, it may disturb you.

We are early risers, and it in no way diminished our vacation or detracted from the lovely GS. Given the chance we wouldn't have any apprehension with staying in the same cabin.

Dan.

Edited by Dan-P

• 5 months later...

Just trying to pay it forward with advice....just off Vision GS 8506. Terrible noise all day and night. Started about 3 am with rolling carts in windjammer. Kept us up every night and we spent cruise exhausted. Even used a noise machine to no avail.

The cabin is lovely.... Newer furnishings, great balcony with chairs and loungers, awesome attendant. And Vision is great! But oh the noise! Try another GS I guess.....

Just trying to pay it forward with advice....just off Vision GS 8506. Terrible noise all day and night. Started about 3 am with rolling carts in windjammer. Kept us up every night and we spent cruise exhausted. Even used a noise machine to no avail.

The cabin is lovely.... Newer furnishings, great balcony with chairs and loungers, awesome attendant. And Vision is great! But oh the noise! Try another GS I guess.....

I had same issues in that same suite earlier this year...it sucked