North America - please help!

Florry

• 3 weeks later...
Hi again, just wondering if you can remember how many formals there were and when they were scheduled? Thank you [emoji4]

Hello Florry. Yes we had six formals but not evenly spread as there were none on port days and we had a run of a lot of port days in the middle.

They were on days 3, 6, 15 (sea day after Halifax), 18 (sea day after Quebec), 20 (sea day after Sydney), 23 (black/white night before the last night).

Hello Florry. Yes we had six formals but not evenly spread as there were none on port days and we had a run of a lot of port days in the middle.

They were on days 3, 6, 15 (sea day after Halifax), 18 (sea day after Quebec), 20 (sea day after Sydney), 23 (black/white night before the last night).

Brilliant thanks!

Hi again, just wondering if you can remember how many formals there were and when they were scheduled? Thank you [emoji4]

We were on Aurora in Sept/Oct doing the 24 day run.. USA East Coast and Canada East Coast. There were 6 Formal nights (too many for this little black duck) and many other 'Jacket nights. I was told by a senior staff member on board that the P&O 'Jacket nights are going from all ships as from January, now what a great idea.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by NSWP

We were on Aurora in Sept/Oct doing the 24 day run.. USA East Coast and Canada East Coast. There were 6 Formal nights (too many for this little black duck) and many other 'Jacket nights. I was told by a senior staff member on board that the P&O 'Jacket nights are going from all ships as from January, now what a great idea.

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes it's such a nuisance having to pack two suits. Six is a lot of formals, I may go in the buffet for a couple [emoji4]

Yes it's such a nuisance having to pack two suits. Six is a lot of formals, I may go in the buffet for a couple [emoji4]

Even tougher coming from OZ with a 20 kg baggage allowance.

Enjoy and I hope the Atlantic is kind.

Even tougher coming from OZ with a 20 kg baggage allowance.

Enjoy and I hope the Atlantic is kind.

Yes we have experienced similar on a fly cruise (my husband now refuses to fly lol). I buy formal dresses that can be easily rolled or folded and avoid heavily sequinned garments that weigh too much. At least it is soon to be one suit for the men. I'm quite excited but need to punch myself because there are still 10 months to go...I quite like movement in the ship but will probably regret saying that *wondering how bad it gets* [emoji102]

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks, I know a couple of you participating in this thread are on our cruise. At short notice I had to go to New York with work this week so I thought I'd post my observations: I was staying near Times Square and for someone fairly fit and confident it is possible to walk to Central Park, Rockefeller, Empire State, 5th Avenue, Maddison. I also think the port to Times Square looks walkable but I didn't get the chance to test this or try the subway. So I think if we book a trip to expedite immigration as others have suggested, I'm going to try to do something like 9/11 memorial which is a bit further away but is important to me. I did get a tourist map from the hotel so I can photocopy it if anyone wants a copy (I can bring it on the cruise). I also went to this place in Times Square, they did nice snacks and wine with a great view. http://www.rloungetimessquare.com hope this helps X

Edited by Florry

I found the map online open and scroll up) to give some context it took me about 10-15 mins to walk from Times Sq to Central Park http://www.mapaplan.com/travel-map/new-york-city-top-tourist-attractions-map/high-resolution/new-york-top-tourist-attractions-map-12-midtown-manhattan-sightseeing-trip-planner-high-resolution.htm

Yes Florry - provided it's Manhattan where you're berthed, it's an easy walk from the port to Times Square or the Rock. We walked from the port and were on our way up the Rock inside half an hour. If you are OK walking, Central Park, Times Square and Empire State all doable. You're wise to do 9/11 on a tour though (or if independently I'd recommend a taxi or on the hoho) as that would be quite a long way and wasteful of time as there is so much else to see.

Our friends did a cruise out of NY on QM and they were berthed at Brooklyn which is not nearly so convenient. What a bonus for us that we were in Manhattan.

Florry We were in New York for a few days last year after a cruise and the subway is very very easy to use. If you have a smartphone or a tablet I can recommend an app called hopstop. If you add where you want to go to it finds your location, directs you to the nearest subway station, tells you how to get the line you need to use and which stations you pass through. Brill.

I can 100% recommend the 9/11 museum as well as the memorial, The memorial outside is lovely and thought-provokingbut the museum is so sensitively done and so emotional ,it's unmissable on a visit to NY. We went by subway and it was very easy. We bought a pay-per-ride card that we both used and put $20 and it was excellent value and simple to use

Yes Florry - provided it's Manhattan where you're berthed, it's an easy walk from the port to Times Square or the Rock. We walked from the port and were on our way up the Rock inside half an hour. If you are OK walking, Central Park, Times Square and Empire State all doable. You're wise to do 9/11 on a tour though (or if independently I'd recommend a taxi or on the hoho) as that would be quite a long way and wasteful of time as there is so much else to see.

Our friends did a cruise out of NY on QM and they were berthed at Brooklyn which is not nearly so convenient. What a bonus for us that we were in Manhattan.

Good point I didn't think about another berth!

Florry We were in New York for a few days last year after a cruise and the subway is very very easy to use. If you have a smartphone or a tablet I can recommend an app called hopstop. If you add where you want to go to it finds your location, directs you to the nearest subway station, tells you how to get the line you need to use and which stations you pass through. Brill.

I can 100% recommend the 9/11 museum as well as the memorial, The memorial outside is lovely and thought-provokingbut the museum is so sensitively done and so emotional ,it's unmissable on a visit to NY. We went by subway and it was very easy. We bought a pay-per-ride card that we both used and put $20 and it was excellent value and simple to use

Yes very sadly we lost 295 colleagues that dreadful day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Florry,

I'm an American & am happy to offer advice.

I've never sailed in or out of NYC, but US Immigration can be a bit schizophrenic at times. The officers at JFK seem to be a bit gruff compared to the friendly UK Immigration Officers at LHR/MAN.

A British friend was detained for an hour upon arrival at JFK without any explanation.

I traveled in December shortly after the San Bernardino massacre, & the airport security was increased. I'm sure the seaports will be the same.

Therefore, be prepared for a lengthy immigration & hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised with a breeze through.

Do visit Times Square.

Also, if you would like a good view of Lady Liberty, but don't want to spring for a sightseeing harbor tour...take the free Staten Island commuter ferry. There really isn't anything to see on Staten Island. This ferry does not get as close to the statue as the tourist ferries do, but you still have a good view.

If you decide not to walk, the subway is almost as good as London's Tube. I say "almost" because IMO, the Tube is the world's finest underground.

For Boston, it is rich in American Colonial & Revolutionary War history. The Freedom Trail is the best way to see the major sites.

Try some New England Clam Chowder.

Also visit the Boston Common, it's a beautiful park.

New Yorkers & Bostonians have an undeserved reputation for being unfriendly.

If they seem that way, it's only because their city lifestyle moves at a much faster pace than the rest of us do.:)

When you arrive in Maine, you MUST try a lobster roll. Mmmm, I am so jealous.:D

Acadia Nat'l Park is very beautiful & worth a visit if you have time.

I do hope you enjoy our country.:)

We did this cruise a couple of years ago on Arcadia. All the ports are so easy to DIY. Outside in the terminal or a big marquee, there are loads of stalls with different bus/tram tours, costing a fraction of what it costs to do a ship tour. We used the different Hop on buses in New York. Marvellous.

If you are short of time in NYC I would not do the Empire State Building as the queues (lines!) can be really bad at times, I think the Top of the Rock is a better alternative, and the Empire State will be in your photos.

The Freedom tower is easy by Subway from Midtown and is very moving.

So much to see and so little time.

Yes so much to see! My OH is very impressed with that Subway app Florry - looks so useful. It's whetting our appetit to go again. Thanks for that. :) We did the second day on foot and saw lots but it would have been helpful to use the Subway but we were a bit thrown by the letters and colour coding at the entrances so we just continued on foot as we thought it might be quicker than getting ourselves lost underground! It was exhausting though!

We did the Rock and having heard about the queues, we went first thing in the morning on the second day and went straight up, had relatively few people on the top and loads of time and space to take pics. Others reported they had quite a long wait later in the day.

Btw, you get an excellent view of the Statue of Liberty on the sail in and out so unless you especially want a boat trip you don't need to spend time doing that and you get great pictures from the elevated position from the top deck.

Oh this is making me wish we were going again! ;)

Couple of extra possibilities:

When we went to Newport we took a taxi to the cliff walk and came back through to town where, if you are interested in tennis there is the Teenis Hall of Fame museum. It's worth going in to see where the forerunner of the Open took place ( even if you don't pay to go into the museum). Two of us went into the museum & two of us played on the grass courts ( not the show court but still grass!). We had to haggle pretty hard but got there in the end ( & they lent us racquets & balls!)

In NY Staten Island ferry is a cost free ' must'.

Was also very impressed with Central Park.

Bar Harbor was also excellent ( but you miss that one). We paid to enter Acadia National Park but the buses that run through the park are free. Beautiful.

Enjoy your trip.

Steve