How does one get Azamara to settle your shipboard account accurately?

GITC

I should note that this is not limited to Azamara as it seems to happen on almost all cruiselines we've been on including our previous sailing on the Equinox last fall.

Perhaps it's being a non-American that causes these lines all the confusion. As a Canadian holding a CAD-denominated credit card that does not charge a foreign exchange premium, I want my account settled in USD rather than the cruiseline converting it for me and making their 2.5% (or whatever it is) on it. I am certain the express pass, or whatever it's called from line to line, was accurately completed yet, invariably, the cruiseline converts it to CAD and bills it. Just noticed the same thing from the Journey having debarked on Friday.

What does one need to do, short of paying their account in cash before debarkation, to get these lines to properly handle this? Don't say "check and double check at guest relations" because I did that on Equinox and it STILL happened. Appreciate any ideas on how to handle this but would especially like some feedback from the Azamara folks on here as to why this is such a challenge.

Hi GITC,

Tough question. Unfortunately, I see these types of issues reported quite often, on all the forums I moderate. You are correct in that it shouldn't happen - but it does. This is strictly a guess, but the RCCL family isn't known for the best IT (Information Technology) in the business, and I suspect their systems are not handling these types of requests to perfection. FWIW, Azamara appears to be better than many other lines, as we rarely see complaints on this.

Perhaps Bonnie will share some insights on this. Did you book directly with a TA ? If so, I'd suggest giving them a call, and hopefully they can go to bat for you, and resolve the issue. If you booked direct with Azamara, I'd recommend giving them a call. Here's a link to Azamara's "Contact us" page :

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/le-club-voyage/contact-us

Please let us know the outcome, and good luck !

Edited by Host Andy

Thanks Andy. I will follow up and advise.

As to the last time this happened, on Equinox, it was on the first of back to back cruises so I was able to resolve on the second cruise with a credit applied to my account. I certainly expect Azamara to credit my credit card for the exchange difference.

So, after having been brushed off by one guest relations rep and being hung up on by another, on my third attempt I finally got to speak to someone to help me.

I was initially told that my card was charged correctly but after pressing they decided to take the time to look into it. It took about twenty minutes, mostly of being on hold while they reviewed my folio and how it was billed, to come to the acknowledgement that it was billed incorrectly and the resolution of a credit to be processed to my credit card. We'll see how that works out within the next couple of days.

I would still be interested, though, in some feedback from the Azamara reps on this board as to what, if anything, they're doing to resolve this apparently ongoing issue. As I said, this isn't the first time it's happened and, in the absence of a plan to actually address it, likely not the last. It's just a little frustrating to have to follow up on something that should be really very simple to administer.

So, after having been brushed off by one guest relations rep and being hung up on by another, on my third attempt I finally got to speak to someone to help me.

I was initially told that my card was charged correctly but after pressing they decided to take the time to look into it. It took about twenty minutes, mostly of being on hold while they reviewed my folio and how it was billed, to come to the acknowledgement that it was billed incorrectly and the resolution of a credit to be processed to my credit card. We'll see how that works out within the next couple of days.

I would still be interested, though, in some feedback from the Azamara reps on this board as to what, if anything, they're doing to resolve this apparently ongoing issue. As I said, this isn't the first time it's happened and, in the absence of a plan to actually address it, likely not the last. It's just a little frustrating to have to follow up on something that should be really very simple to administer.

I would agree there is something very wrong with their account system and anything short of a big shake up is not going to fix it.

After all, how many people does it take to change a light bulb?

In Azamara it seems many??????

Bonnie, you've got a challenge on our hands, so good luck!!!

I would agree there is something very wrong with their account system and anything short of a big shake up is not going to fix it.

After all, how many people does it take to change a light bulb?

In Azamara it seems many??????

Bonnie, you've got a challenge on our hands, so good luck!!!

Firstly I don't fix anything; I'm merely a go-between for the CC community and the line, and I'd like to think after a year here I'm now part of the community.

Secondly our accounting system is not dysfunctional. It has served for years and continues to. If the "money system" were not working I believe that would be the first thing the company would fix! I may be wrong but from your other posts on the other thread I believe you're unhappy with our website's consumer-facing functionality. That kind of feedback is invaluable and appreciated. We do have people looking into your issue(s).

The forex credit card issue noted above by GITC is most likely due to a communication breakdown somewhere. But it could turn out to be a programming glitch, i.e. perhaps the special request info (report) is somehow not reaching the ship. I've asked the ship to give me their best assessment and should hear something in the days to come. I'll be in touch when I have something to report to all of you.

B. Rgds,

Bonnie

Hmm. 30+ Azamara cruises and never had this problem. Are you sure you're checking the right box on the form? It's deliberately worded to trick you into checking the wrong box (eg. they're using 'not' / negative statements).

I have had a couple of issues in the early years,that I did not spot until I got home - it is always the fault of the checkin staff

I do two things now to manage the situation

1. I use a highlight pen on my selection

2. I recheck at some point on board to see if my instructions have been correctly passed to the ship

One clue, if a mid cruise bill (you usually get one anyway, but if not, you can ask guest relations) shows a table of currency exchange rates at the bottom of the bill, the cruiseline is doing the conversion and my wish has not been followed through.

I have to say three or four times recently on both Azamara and Celebrity I have found that to be the case, every time, guest relations have adjusted the position-no problem.

I rarely have an issue on European check ins - clearly some embarkation agents are better trained than others - New York and Miami have never got it right (and yes I am checking the right box)

So Bonnie could perhaps concentrate on feeding back on check in agents training rather than systems issyes - as always the system only is as good as the input agent!

This has been an ongoing problem for many years not only on Azamara but also on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. I always highlight the selection and make sure I explain my choice to the check in agent. As uktog suggested, it's a good idea to check with guest relations onboard. I always do and many times they find an error and are able to make the correction.

Hi GITC,

FWIW, Azamara appears to be better than many other lines, as we rarely see complaints on this.

This happened to us on our recent cruise on Journey as well. I didn't post a complaint because the amount at stake was not huge, but still an annoyance. I think that it's not as rare but that people can't be bothered to complain about it. I hope not, but perhaps Az is counting on this because it really shouldn't be hard to see which box is ticked and how to enter it because it's really the only thing on the form that needs to be entered as a choice.

Hi GITC, Let me do a bit of research and see if i can find out if it is a system thing, a human thing, or ??? Obviously communication of your wishes did not reach the Pursers Desk. I do apologize for that.

I have received word that this transaction is done upon boarding and is completed upon disembarking. The best advice is what has been written here by others...check with the guest relations desk while onboard to make sure your billing is how you want it.

That said, again I apologize on behalf of all of us that your request was missed. It is no fun having to chase down a correction after the fact.

P.s. In case you're wondering, here's what I rcvd today from Heike, Hotel Manager, Azamara Journey, "The guests are supposed to be asked during embarkation to specify - if they are paying with a foreign currency cc - if they would like us or their bank to make the conversion. In case they are not sure they are always encouraged to come by the guest relations desk and secure their selection."

I have received word that this transaction is done upon boarding and is completed upon disembarking. The best advice is what has been written here by others...check with the guest relations desk while onboard to make sure your billing is how you want it.

That said, again I apologize on behalf of all of us that your request was missed. It is no fun having to chase down a correction after the fact.

P.s. In case you're wondering, here's what I rcvd today from Heike, Hotel Manager, Azamara Journey, "The guests are supposed to be asked during embarkation to specify - if they are paying with a foreign currency cc - if they would like us or their bank to make the conversion. In case they are not sure they are always encouraged to come by the guest relations desk and secure their selection."

Thanks for the feedback, Bonnie. Admittedly, I did not check with guest relations on the Journey which I should have done given my most recent experience on Equinox. Having said that, I checked TWICE during my first of back to back cruises on the Equinox to ensure that the account would be billed correctly and it was STILL done wrong so the confirmation with guest relations is also not fool-proof.

I have sailed enough and am literate enough to know which box to check on the form at embarkation so that's not the problem, florisdekort. Checking the wrong box was not the issue.

As for Heike's points, she's right. We are/were asked at embarkation and we're very clear on our wishes. Given that my theory is that they see "Canadian citizen" and automatically want to bill in my currency, in the future I think I will write on the form "Settle account in US funds" and see if that helps at all.

Thanks for looking into this, Bonnie. Much appreciated although it doesn't really appear that there's a definitive answer for how or why this occurs.

I suspect it's just the onshore check-in staff who are always in a hurry processing your embarkation forms, and as pointed out, see the citizenship and then charge in local currency rather than USD.

I'd agree, check your onboard account at some point to see how charges are being billed - it has only happened to us once on Princess (our second cruise, long before I realised this could happen), and even after the cruise they happily recalculated the charges and refunded us the difference (after realising that yes, we had ticked the correct box and asked for billing in USD).

I also highlight and star the paragraph on the Express Pass and usually also write in capitals "BILL IN USD PLEASE".

• 3 weeks later...

We put a U.S. card down and then to be sure pay off the bill in cash.

Even putting a U.S. card down doesn't mean they will not bill in CAD particularly if you have paid for your cruise in CAD!