West Coast US to Australia and New Zealand

Mickie

We are on an Australia and New Zealand trip in late September, starting in Seattle on the HAL Maasdam.

I see from the itinerary that we cross the International Dateline on Oct 9, but there is no indication on the itinerary from HAL about crossing the Equator.

Looking at my globe (yeah, I'm old fashioned), it looks like we ALSO cross the Equator, but there is no mention on the itinerary.

What am I missing here?

Crossing the Equator will likely just be a party at the pool.

On Princess they had crazy party at the pool. Really there is no time change or any loss of days so that is why on your cruise info there is no info.

If Hal has a crossing the equator party be sure and go as it is fun to watch all the crazy things the crew does.

Edited by go fish 44
spelling error

We are on an Australia and New Zealand trip in late September, starting in Seattle on the HAL Maasdam.

I see from the itinerary that we cross the International Dateline on Oct 9, but there is no indication on the itinerary from HAL about crossing the Equator.

Looking at my globe (yeah, I'm old fashioned), it looks like we ALSO cross the Equator, but there is no mention on the itinerary.

What am I missing here?

You'll also cross many different lines of latitude, but it won't affect the itinerary at all........so I'm not sure what you think is missing. Are you curious what day you'll cross the equator? Crossing the dateline affects the dates of travel; crossing the equator does not, so why would it be mentioned in the itinerary?

You'll also cross many different lines of latitude, but it won't affect the itinerary at all........so I'm not sure what you think is missing. Are you curious what day you'll cross the equator? Crossing the dateline affects the dates of travel; crossing the equator does not, so why would it be mentioned in the itinerary?

I thought there were a variety of special events when you cross the equator for the first time.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I thought there were a variety of special events when you cross the equator for the first time.

Yes there are. Indeed the staff on board the ship take charge and make it a great day for everyone. . Depending on your itinerary , you may for example cross the Equator at 3 am one morning, so they schedule the nearest day to the event and hold the ceremonies then.King Neptune and his retinue will "board" and hold court.In the old days , all passengers would be dunked in the pool but today a few are selected along with several Officers..... after they have .."Kissed the Fish" ...:eek:

Most lines will also print a certificate which should be left on your bed that night along with the daily news.

Its a fun day.

Check out Shellbacks and Pollywogs on google.:):)

I suppose it depends on the ship. I don't remember anything special the time my cruise ship crossed the equator; then again, I wasn't looking for anything and didn't want anything.

King Neptune will hold a pool side ceremony as described by Kiwi Kruizer.

Based on our Trans Pacific Volendam cruises, I would guess the ceremony will be held at the Sea View pool on Maasdam.

We received both a "Crossing the Equator" certificate and a "Crossing the Date Line" certificate signed by the Captain and Hotel Manager in our stateroom.

The ceremony will be listed in the Daily Program.

We had the crossing the equator party when we were cruising in the Galápagos Islands last year.

But we were surprised, to be honest, as Australians are forever crossing the equator when we fly almost anywhere of some distance and we hardly give it a thought. At least, I don't!

On a Rhapsody Transpacific a few years ago, there was a ceremony on deck around the pool where some of the crew dressed as King Neptune and his helpers, inflicted various amusing indignities upon some passenger volunteers. Mostly by pouring various unpleasant things on them. All in good fun.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Yes, you are correct. It is a tradition on ships to have a "Crossing the Equator" ceremony around a pool. Usually the Captain is involved and various "volunteers" represent the passengers crossing the Equator for the first time. As others have mentioned, it is a fun event, which will be announced in the daily programme and you will receive a Certificate.

The reason the itinerary shows the date the ship crosses the International Dateline is because you will loose a day on that date cruising to Australia/NZ.