Regent doesn't understand the ADA!

You guys are probably right, and note that I never spoke of suing Regent and never had the intent to do so. One of my problems with Regent in this matter is that they never told my TA that they had no suites to give me (without an upcharge) that had a shower stall. They only said that "they could not guarantee" one unless I upgraded. Had they reported that they had no such suites, I could have claimed under our travel insurance and cancelled. With their response the way it was, I don't know if my TI claim would have been honored. So what was I to do? Fly from Durango to Miami with my wife's condition with a massive lay over in Dallas to find out if they could accommodate her condition only at the port in Miami? It would have been better if Regent had simply said they had no such accommodations left unbooked. In that event, the result would have been our cancellation and grounds for a TI claim.

I think the problem here is lack of proper communication from Regent's home office concerning disabilities that occur in the time between booking and sailing. All experienced travelers (like us) get travel insurance. If a disability develops that requires accommodation, the cruise line merely needs to tell us whether they can accommodate it or not. Saying they "can't guarantee" they can accommodate it is simply not good enough. And that is my only problem with Regent's home office. And I have never had a problem with Regent, once on the ship. The way the matter resolved will in no doubt result in a great cruise. But when there is a disability involved that requires accommodation, is it too much to expect a simple yes or no answer? I think not.

Can you even book a Accessible cabin when booking under a Guarantee ? Or Book a guarantee that complies under ADA? I don't think so.

You booked a Guarantee and then wanted to come back and change the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you even book a Accessible cabin when booking under a Guarantee ? Or Book a guarantee that complies under ADA? I don't think so.

You booked a Guarantee and then wanted to come back and change the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No - if you want a "wheelchair accessible" suite, you need to book one. On the Mariner (only), if you want a shower only or bathtub/shower combination suite, you need to book that as well. When you gook a "Guarantee", you could any up with a suite in any location. It could be in the same category that you paid for or, if they are sold out, you could get a higher category suite.

How about this suggestion. Since you purchased travel insurance and may have a legitimate claim to cancel the cruise since you can't guarantee a suitable cabin at the price you booked, why not see if the insurance will pay the $400 rather than risk paying out a higher claim for cancellation.

You guys are probably right, and note that I never spoke of suing Regent and never had the intent to do so. One of my problems with Regent in this matter is that they never told my TA that they had no suites to give me (without an upcharge) that had a shower stall. They only said that "they could not guarantee" one unless I upgraded.

The booking of "H Guarantee" means that you will eventually be allocated a suite of grade H or higher and indicates that at time of booking there were no specific H suites available. "H Guarantee" does not mean that you can pick & choose a suite that suits you at the time the suite allocation is finally made; Regent would be unable to guarantee you a suite with a shower stall as it is totally dependent on what suites come available through cancellations, upsells etc. Your TA should have understood this

When you and your TA made Regent aware that you now had a specific requirement, Regent informed you that you could either take your chances with the GTY booking or they could provide you with a specific suite number to your exact requirements if you wished to upgrade to D. They also went much further than this by offering you the D grade suite at a much reduced cost; I doubt if they had any contractual or legal obligation to make this very kind offer that you chose to accept

How about this suggestion. Since you purchased travel insurance and may have a legitimate claim to cancel the cruise since you can't guarantee a suitable cabin at the price you booked, why not see if the insurance will pay the $400 rather than risk paying out a higher claim for cancellation.

I doubt if an insurer would entertain the claim

The traveller chose not to cancel but decided to accept the generous offer made by Regent in order to accommodate their change in requirements at nominal cost

However the traveller is perfectly entitled to make a claim to see if anything is forthcoming

It appears that most people's advice is to put the issue behind you, chill out and enjoy the cruise :cool:

I am older & generally have trouble stepping into those tubs eventhough I am not in firmed.

I would NEVER consider booking a guarantee cabin now...that was for my youth.

I always pick my cabin & make sure it has the walkin shower...I know I pay extra for this privilege over a guarantee.