Harwich to London to Paris

zebra

Please help!!!

Our ship will be docking in Harwich at 4am. So we can leave as early as we need to. What we are trying to do is go from Harwich to Paris all in the same day - by train (or the cheapest and most stress free way). We have been to London many times, so this time we will not be staying there, just passing through.

Please explain which trains and stations I would need to book to accomplish this trip. I see that the Eurostar leaves from St. Pancras …… but does the HArwich train go to St. Pancras Station????

I would really appreciate as much advice as possible. Many thanks.

Sorry - I also neglected to ask: How long would the train ride/s be. I would need to book tickets on Eurostar and don't want to cut it too fine. Want to be able to safely make my connection onto the Eurostar train. So having said this - what time should I book my tickets to Paris on Eurostar?? Thanks.

I personally wouldn't be overly panicked about getting off the ship super early - I mean, the train from London to Paris is only around 2:20, and from Harwich to London around 1:20. Trains from Harwich arrive at London Liverpool Street Station, so you will have to transfer, but it should be fairly easy to get a taxi between the 2.

You would need to check the National Rail website for times for your specific dates; looking at a totally random date (January 10th), I note that the earliest regular train (i.e., with the cross-platform change at Manningtree) leaves at 6:33 and arrives at 7:55, with the cruise train (no change) leaving at 7:20 and arriving at 8:45. Now, for the Eurostar they recommend you arrive at least 45 minutes before departure, so given this requirement the 9:17 should just about be doable with the earlier train, otherwise the 11am train would be your best bet. This still gets you into Paris at 2:20 pm, so not bad at all. Again, confirm times for your specific dates.

We've done this - except we went from Harwich to London by train and transferred by taxi and went from London to Brussels on the eurostar, then Brussels to Bruge by train.

From memory we booked the cruise express from Harwich to London (I think about 8.30 am) and then left from London St Pancras at 2.04 pm. I had my elderly mother with us and it all went smoothly and without panic - which is how I like it.

We have also previously caught the eurostar from London to Paris. I much prefer it over flying - it takes about the same amount of time, but the leg room and the ability to get up and walk around is great!

As said, its fairly simple to do. Harwich International station (HPQ) is right beside the ship, so no problem. Easiest way from London Liverpool St to St Pancras is a black cab..about £10. I think you have to be at check in at St Pancras for the Eurostar 30mins before departure, so allow for this. A lot depends on what day you are doing this. The cruise trains are OK, but if you are using the 'ordinary' trains on a weekday, be aware this is a major commuter route and will be packed before 9am. Might be worth having a more leisurely breakfast if a Eurostar about 11.30 - 12.00 works for you. Remember that Paris is an hour ahead of London, so it looks like the trip takes 3hrs 20mins on the timetables!

For UK trains use http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

The short codes for your stations are

HPQ Harwich International

LST Liverpool Street

STP St Pancras

Simon

Edited by sddsddean

I would allow at least an hour at St Pancras. Enhanced security in these troubled times can make the queues a little slow. If you have time to spare, there are many bars, cafes and restaurants to choose from. St Pancras is almost a destination in its own right.

article-0-1DD4A4DC00000578-704_634x424.jpg

Thanks so much for the helpful advice. It looks like one can only book a ticket 3 months in advance. we will be getting off the ship on Saturday, 30th May. So I can't book anything yet.

One the train journey from Harwich to Liverpool Sta - do we have to get off and change trains? How complicated is this for us old people :)

Thanks so much for the helpful advice. It looks like one can only book a ticket 3 months in advance. we will be getting off the ship on Saturday, 30th May. So I can't book anything yet.

One the train journey from Harwich to Liverpool Sta - do we have to get off and change trains? How complicated is this for us old people :)

If you are taking the train from HPQ (the station next to the cruise terminal), you will, most likely, need to change trains in Manningtree (MNG). From MNG into LST there are no more changes. The changing of trains at MNG is very easy to do - not complicated at all. :)

Edited by dogs4fun

'British' rail you can normally book 12 weeks in advance. Keep checking Eurostar and book as early as you can...it gets more expensive the longer you wait!

There are a few direct trains, but on most you have to change at Manningtree. Not a problem, just walk 20 feet across the platform (remember on our trains the platforms are at door height, so only one step up into the carriage). The trains are timed to make the connection.

Simon

You should note that Liverpool Station is a very long way from Liverpool Street Station. Easy to get confused I know, but these things are important when travelling

The train change at Manningtree is simply a walk across the platform - no stairs.

you can book the Eurostar 26 weeks in advance. The cheapest tickets are 34.50 GBP. The earlier you book the cheaper they are. All trains have these tickets but they sell out early at some time slots.

I just checked: tickets on the Eurostar (Eurostar.com) are available now at least to 31 May 2015. They are actually available up to June 21)

There are lots of nice places to eat at st Pancras station and make sure you check out the ceiling! It is glass.

Edited by paddingtonbear

I think you may not be able to book yet on the Eurostar site if you are also trying to include the Harwich/London part of your trip in that booking. But I believe you can go ahead and book the London/Paris trip on the Eurostar now for May. (From the comments above, it looks like the intra-UK bookings open up later than the Eurostar bookings do.)

Again Simon & Bob (and others) you have all been tremendously helpful. I see I made a mistake saying Liverpool Station - but should have been Liverpool St Station. We buy tickets to Liverpool St Station right? From there we will take a cab to St Pancras station to get on the Eurostar.

Now a silly black cab question: Do you hail a cab the same way as we do in the States? Just put out your hand to indicate you need a ride?

I guess this is a quick ride to St Pancras????

Again Simon & Bob (and others) you have all been tremendously helpful. I see I made a mistake saying Liverpool Station - but should have been Liverpool St Station. We buy tickets to Liverpool St Station right? From there we will take a cab to St Pancras station to get on the Eurostar.

Now a silly black cab question: Do you hail a cab the same way as we do in the States? Just put out your hand to indicate you need a ride?

I guess this is a quick ride to St Pancras????

Yes, ticket to London Liverpool Street.

There will be cabs queueing up outside...just take the first one off the rank (there should be signs as you start to exit the station directing you to the Taxi Rank). For future reference though, yes, its just the same as the US. Hail the cab if his orange 'For Hire' light is on.

Hopefully on a Saturday, it should only take about 10 mins...its just over a 2 mile journey.

Simon

I see I made a mistake saying Liverpool Station - but should have been Liverpool St Station. We buy tickets to Liverpool St Station right?

Yes. It really is important to use the exact names of stations, as we've had posters confused when they searched the train from Harwich to Liverpool and finding it to be a 4-hour trip... And there was one poor poster that instead of buying a ticket from Charing Cross (London), she bought one from Charing, Kent!

Liverpool Street Station has fortunately been covered by Google Street View: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Liverpool+Street+Station/@51.5184104,-0.0809963,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xc57f7d6c0b61ff5f, so you're able to 'walk' the station before your trip. If you do, you can see a sign indicating the taxi rank being alongside Platform 10, so you don't even have to exit the station to get your taxi, just follow the sign.

Sorry!!!! We have had a change of plan and I didn't want to start a new thread because I have such knowledgeable and helpful folk on here - I thought I would ask your help here.

We are now going to be going from Harwich to Heathrow by train. How will this train route differ? Will we still take a train to Liverpool St Sta and then go to Heathrow from there or do we go elsewhere to change trains? Also how long should the entire trip take on a Saturday morning, from ship to airport????

Sorry!!!! We have had a change of plan and I didn't want to start a new thread because I have such knowledgeable and helpful folk on here - I thought I would ask your help here.

We are now going to be going from Harwich to Heathrow by train. How will this train route differ? Will we still take a train to Liverpool St Sta and then go to Heathrow from there or do we go elsewhere to change trains? Also how long should the entire trip take on a Saturday morning, from ship to airport????

1) to the Original poster, you may want to consider flying from London City Airport (also on the east side of London). Cityjet fly the route from LCY to ORY/Paris Orly for 65GBP. Train to near London (stratford) and then tube/DLR to London City Airport

2) If you're going from Harwich to Heathrow you have the unenviable problem of getting from Liverpool St Station (east london) to Paddington Station (w.london) to get you to Heathrow. From Paddington, Heathrow Express (or Heathrow Connect for a lot less money for 5 mins longer). Best method is likely a taxi.

If you're willing to 'tube' it all the way to Heathrow, take Circle line to Tower Hill, same platform for a district line train to Baron's Court, same platform change to Picadilly Line to heathrow. It seems like an extra line vs looking at the maps, but trust me this makes the transfers much easier.

Most of #2 becomes a moot point in a few years when crossrail opens as a direct train from Liverpool St to Heathrow becomes a possibility

Scott has beaten me to it! Definately go from London City if you can (ie you haven't booked your flights yet). It is dead easy from Stratford station (same line as the one into London and nearly all trains stop there) then transfer to DLR (Docklands Light railway) which will take you straight to City airport which is miles auicker and arguably better than LHR. Otherwise Scott has outlined how to get to LHR which would take about 2 1/2 hours total Harwich - LHR.

Simon

If you're willing to 'tube' it all the way to Heathrow, take Circle line to Tower Hill, same platform for a district line train to Baron's Court, same platform change to Picadilly Line to heathrow. It seems like an extra line vs looking at the maps, but trust me this makes the transfers much easier.
To add to the ease, it's step free at Liverpool Street down to the Circle Line platform (but only in this direction). Make sure that you get a Circle Line train as there are other trains that will take you places you don't want to go.

Personally, I would change from the Circle Line to the District Line somewhere like Blackfriars or Temple, simply because these are easier stations to change at. But this is angels on the head of a pin stuff; the trains call at all of these stations.