Advice on support hose knee highs

Due to a vascular problems, I must wear knee high and thick support hose all the time. I am ok with pants -- most days. Shorts -- well my figure or lack thereof makes that not much of an option out of the yard so that is doable. I miss my dresses. I have a few maxi dresses but most of those are so casual.

Has anybody figured out how to wear "dead whale tan" support hose with a dress/skirt. I have to wear the support hose or leg turns a frightful purple -- and hurts! Support panty hose are not recommended for me at this time.

Hey Ladies please help. I'd love to wear some of my pretty dresses but afraid of that awful white above the stocking showing through.

I hear you! I suggest princess or midi length dress/skirts with some fullness so the tops of the knee highs don't show. I search and search for longer length dresses --I'm not about to wear above the knee dresses at 75 years old. Try looking at matchsticks styles in skirts. Some of those are really pretty and with a dressier top don't look so casual.

Good luck!!

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have a few maxi dresses but most of those are so casual.

Are you looking for a formal dress? Something for work? Maxi dresses won't work for anything more than possibly a business casual environment, but some styles are less casual than others. I wear them all the time (for work and leisure) I find that a slender tank style is a little less casual than a fuller version, shows less cleavage (always important at work) and I have to have full straps so I can wear a regular bra. And I usually wear a cardigan too, but that's more for indoor air temps;)

Happy to help find actual examples online if you can better describe either what you ARE looking for, or what you have seen that you don't like.

I have maxi dresses -- some even formal. I have a formal long skirt and a rather somber black midi-skirt. I was just wishing there was a way to wear some of my "knee length" dresses that look nice except the hem just skims the top of the knee high and sitting can pull unless very careful. Just another factor to consider. As always on a trip -- some of my most beautiful outfits have to stay home because other things (black pants, white pants, plain black lace dress) mix and match better. One wear dress or stunning blouse that folks would remember if worn 3 times to dinner and heavy beaded items do not get a ticket to ride anymore. :D

• 1 month later...

Several thoughts:

- I like the idea of buying a couple more maxi dresses and/or long, flowing skirts. They'd work great for daytime, and you can probably find them with a bit of sparkle so they could work for formal night too.

- Do I understand you're saying that part of the problem is that the top of the hose are ugly white-white? Could you dye them? Don't people dye things with tea bags? Assuming you're white, that might get you an appropriate somewhat skin-colored stocking. I have no experience, but I think it could be done. Do you have an old, yucky pair upon which you could practice? Or even an old white tee shirt upon which you could practice?

- The suggestion about looking into colorful compression stockings is a good one. My nurse daughter, though she's only early 20s, already wears compression stockings to work. She buys the higher #ed stockings (higher #s grip more tightly) and doesn't allow them to go into the dryer (the good ones are $25-30/pair), but they're available in lots of fancy colors and prints. My daughter buys them at the uniform store at our mall or from Amazon.

I've worn compression/support hose for many years. I really enjoy the new patterns/designs & have put outfits around them. I also have thigh high support hose that works well on the few occasions I wear a knee length skirt/dress. They are expensive - best price is on Amazon. I've bought several pairs of wildly patterned compression socks at Sierra Trading Post (in the clearance aisle) recently. Good luck