Funchal in Feb/Mar

We are looking at heading this direction in Feb/Mar.

Can anyone who has been there at that time of year tell me what the sea conditions were like and also if the weather seemed fairly warm and reasonably dry? It is more persistent rain (rather than short downpours) or cold winds that would bother us.

Just want to gauge an overview if possible.

• 4 months later...

I was there a few years back in December. Last stop before heading across the pond. The weather was great. They were getting the town ready for Christmas. But you just never know what weather will be like. I thought coming across the Atlantic at that time of the year, would be a little rough and cold. It was the best seas and 72 degrees.

A day and a half after leaving Funchal, the Harbor Master sent message to the ship that we missed a storm that had come through. He said the waves hitting the break water, next to where the ship was docked, where coming up 13 meters above the break water. So you just never know.

We were in Funchal in March (4 years ago) and I recall temps in the mid 60's. It rained from early morning until the early afternoon and then cleared. It was not a hard rain - more of a misty rain. I do not recall excessive wind - it was a bit windy at the Monte cable car top but this quickly abated as we walked around. We still enjoyed a lovely day even with the light rain.

I don't recall any unfavorable sea conditions.

• 3 months later...