Missing a week of college as a freshman?

hawaiikat

Aloha,

I am thinking of surprising my daughter with a 7 day cruise for her 18th birthday. The problem is that she starts college as a freshman this August. The cruise would be at the end of October, so two months into the semester, and not yet near finals. I never got to go to college, and this is my first child going, so I am not sure how the teachers will react. Are they usually understanding? Will they let her make up missed work? Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Mahalo.

Omg a 6 year old thread...lol that kid has an MBa by now....or is a Starbucks barista.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Necroposting makes such a mess. It would be great if CC locked old threads.

Yes, they re-do the whole site, change the logo and give us the dreaded CAPTCHA screen to ensure we aren't robots, yet one of the few things I've seen requested over and over isn't added. Pity.

Or she might be the new resident at your local hospital who is helping out on your hubby's heart surgery.

I wonder if there was anything important she missed that week in 2011.:confused:

Nah. College fresh to medical resident in 6 years. Lol. Especially if she's taking cruises mid semester.

Nah. College fresh to medical resident in 6 years. Lol. Especially if she's taking cruises mid semester.

She could be an OR surgical nurse - dreaming about her next cruise rather than focusing on whether the doctor wanted forceps or scalpel.

She could be an OR surgical nurse - dreaming about her next cruise rather than focusing on whether the doctor wanted forceps or scalpel.

nbt, are you implying that getting addicted to cruising is worse than a missing a freshman week at college?:eek:

That could lead to another 6 years of posts on this thread. :D

Thank you all for your opinions. The date is important because she would still be 17 until the last night of the cruise...and get to go to the Teen Club, which she loves. She will turn 18 on the last night of the cruise!

after two months at college I am not sure going to the Teen Club will be a priority.

edit _ OMG I just replied to a 6 year old thread...wonder how it all turned out long ago?

Times have changed. Attendance-taking is mandatory for schools that are Title IV-eligible, if only to determine last date of attendance in the case of a withdrawal for calculating any Return of Funds to the Title IV programs.

after two months at college I am not sure going to the Teen Club will be a priority.

edit _ OMG I just replied to a 6 year old thread...wonder how it all turned out long ago?

LMAO I was just about to post myself - I work at a college and was going to give my expertise on this and just in case anyone reads and is wonderng I would suggest checking with the professors before booking - I have always had teachers that were accomodating for me however, my daughter has a teacher who refused to allow her to make up a 5 point quiz for something that was out of her control - So what it comes down to is the teacher

Times have changed. Attendance-taking is mandatory for schools that are Title IV-eligible, if only to determine last date of attendance in the case of a withdrawal for calculating any Return of Funds to the Title IV programs.

I know this is a very old thread but the above post caught my eye and is worth a comment...lol

Trust me the colleges will take diligent attendance for the 1st 5/6 weeks of every single semester

Why?

Yup you got it....in order to certify the kid actually exists and is attending classes so the student and subsequently the college gets the payouts from....All the federal and state grants/loans the kid is entitled to .....this is a good thing btw because you want to know there is a bona fide student attending a bona fide college before they are actually awarded $$$$ for tuition. Those award letters received months in advance are just that...letters ....so you can make a decision...but the money isn't received until 6 weeks into the semester after the school certifies your attendance and existence. The schools do you a favor by putting a credit for these grants on your tuition bill because they don't get the money right away.

In essence the schools are floating you a 6 week interest free loan. Lol. Which they have to anyway so it's not a perk by any means

Attendance taking definitely drops off after that and reality sets in....they are adult students and therefore responsible for themselves

I am the mother of a current college freshman. My daughter is at a four year university. We try to apply the law of perspective: in 5 years, will this matter. Will it matter that she attended THAT PARTICULAR WEEK of her freshman year? No. Will it matter that she went on a cruise with mom? YES! Life is short - take the cruise. :ship:

It actually could matter if she missed that particular week. If she misses tests or lectures that will not be made up, she could fail the class. I've seen several people blow off classes (for vacations, or whatever) and end up having to repeat the course. I managed to make it through college without missing classes for vacations.

We are really surprised at some of the comments. What happens at school will depend on the specific instructors/professors and their own policies. Most large Universities and a majority of smaller colleges leave attendance policies and make-up requirements to the individual instructors/professors. It is possible she could have 1 or more courses where any absence could impact her grade. As to class size, it varies in a major way. When I went to Penn State I had courses with as few as 30 (each of our accounting classes was in a small room/group with a grad assistance....and the professor lecturing on TV) to courses in large lecture halls with 400.

Missing a class in Philosophy might not be a big deal. But missing a single class in Organic Chemistry could be a very big deal...and missing a week could be catastrophic. My point is that nobody here can tell you, with any degree of certainty, the impact of missing a week of classes. My personal opinion is that one pays a lot of money to go to College and its not something to be taken lightly. When my current wife and I decided to elope and get married, her daughter (my step daughter) was attending a large University. We would not let her leave school for even 2 - 3 days so she could come to Vegas (where we got married). We told her at the time that school was her priority and we did not want her to do anything that could jeopardize her grades.

We would finally mention that we are aware of one coed who missed a week of school due to the Flu! That was enough to cause her big issues in two courses which she ultimately took "incompletes" and had to later repeat the courses.

Hank