SS United States

LA_CA_GAL

Crystal has long since bailed on the project. They found that in addition to revamping the superstructure and cabin arrangement to meet SOLAS, they would have had to change from the current single rudder to a twin rudder, or go whole hog and go for azipods, which would have required rebuilding the entire aft one third of the hull to meet structural and hydrodynamic requirements. This is cost prohibitive when they could have built a new, modern ship for less than the cost to revamp the SSUS. They donated an additional $65 million, if I remember right, to extend her maintenance at the Philly pier. So, she is back to month to month trying to raise money to pay the bills and keep her from the scrapyard.

Crystal has long since bailed on the project. They found that in addition to revamping the superstructure and cabin arrangement to meet SOLAS, they would have had to change from the current single rudder to a twin rudder, or go whole hog and go for azipods, which would have required rebuilding the entire aft one third of the hull to meet structural and hydrodynamic requirements. This is cost prohibitive when they could have built a new, modern ship for less than the cost to revamp the SSUS. They donated an additional $65 million, if I remember right, to extend her maintenance at the Philly pier. So, she is back to month to month trying to raise money to pay the bills and keep her from the scrapyard.

I am located in the Philly area, and many years ago I was involved in an effort to take the ship and convert it into a hotel / office / entertainment edifice. Seems like every effort to save her fails.

I am located in the Philly area, and many years ago I was involved in an effort to take the ship and convert it into a hotel / office / entertainment edifice. Seems like every effort to save her fails.

Anyone willing to undertake the project would need very deep pockets, and be willing to lose lots of money for many years, if not forever. As you know (I saw you on the QM contribution thread), the QM is in dire need of money, and that is already a going concern, not a stripped bare hulk like the SSUS. The only hope for this ship is someone like the Bill Gates or Warren Buffet who would be willing to just give away hundreds of millions to fund the project.

Anyone willing to undertake the project would need very deep pockets, and be willing to lose lots of money for many years, if not forever. As you know (I saw you on the QM contribution thread), the QM is in dire need of money, and that is already a going concern, not a stripped bare hulk like the SSUS. The only hope for this ship is someone like the Bill Gates or Warren Buffet who would be willing to just give away hundreds of millions to fund the project.

Thanks Bill and Warren for spending your billions for kids.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/16/how-the-gates-foundation-spent-warren-buffetts-30b-investment/

Thanks Bill and Warren for spending your billions for kids.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/16/how-the-gates-foundation-spent-warren-buffetts-30b-investment/

Roger that. Money much better spent, was simply using them as an example of how deep the pockets need to be. If Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt were around today, this is what he'd spend his money on.

She is a more than 60 year old ship built for only 2 purposes - go faster than any other ship crossing the Atlantic regardless of fuel costs and also for carrying lots of troops to Europe in case of war. She is totally useless in terms of today's market and could never be renovated at a reasonable cost.

The people who are trying to keep her alive should recognize that it will never happen and let her die.

DON

She is a more than 60 year old ship built for only 2 purposes - go faster than any other ship crossing the Atlantic regardless of fuel costs and also for carrying lots of troops to Europe in case of war. She is totally useless in terms of today's market and could never be renovated at a reasonable cost.

The people who are trying to keep her alive should recognize that it will never happen and let her die.

DON

The voice of reason. Some things are not going to happen: restoration of trans-Atlantic Zeppelin flights and high speed ocean liner crossings are certainly among them.

The voice of reason. Some things are not going to happen: restoration of trans-Atlantic Zeppelin flights and high speed ocean liner crossings are certainly among them.

You left out one thing. There are groups that have tried to build a new Titanic - minus the iceberg. According to this article - http://www.titanic2ship.com/ - it will be launched in 2018.

How about this for a proposed 11 course meal

So here are the meals enjoyed:

• Course One: Oysters
  • Course Two: Consommé Olga
  • Course Three: Scottish Balik Salmon w Mousseline Sauce, Cucumber
  • Course Four: Sauté of Chicken Lyonnaise, Vegetable Marrow Farcie, Parmentier Potatoes
  • Course Five: Aberdeen Angus Filet Mignons Lili
  • Course Six: Eye of Lamb Loin, Mint Sauce & Green Peas, Boiled New Potatoes
  • Course Seven: Roast Duckling, Apple Sauce, Boiled Rice
  • Course Eight: Punch Romaine
  • Course Nine: Cold Asparagus Vinaigrette – Pate De Foie Gras
  • Course Ten: Waldorf Pudding, French Ice Cream, Peaches en Chartreuse Jelly, Chocolate & Vanilla Éclair
  • Course Eleven: English Stilton & Port Wine, Hors D’ Oeuvre Varies.

DON

donaldsc,

Thanks for posting this interesting and preposterous proposed menu.

After consuming such a meal, I must assume that a Steward will be available with a dolly to transport me back to my stateroom or a Medical Attendant with a gurney will be present to get me to the Medical Center ASAP!

You left out one thing. There are groups that have tried to build a new Titanic - minus the iceberg. According to this article - http://www.titanic2ship.com/ - it will be launched in 2018.

DON

Not likely to happen. No steel has been cut yet, and in fact, no contract has been signed with any shipyard to build it. The man behind it has had his company go into bankruptcy, and the receivers have stated they want to recover money from the company used for this project. Even the shipyard proposed to build the ship does not have a drydock, but uses side launching, and this would be the largest side launched ship by a long stretch, so the yard is not even sure it is feasible.

Not likely to happen. No steel has been cut yet, and in fact, no contract has been signed with any shipyard to build it. The man behind it has had his company go into bankruptcy, and the receivers have stated they want to recover money from the company used for this project. Even the shipyard proposed to build the ship does not have a drydock, but uses side launching, and this would be the largest side launched ship by a long stretch, so the yard is not even sure it is feasible.

Also, after coming out with the idea at least five years ago - suggesting imminent kick-off - the only follow-up has been further projections of some future real progress.

It is starting to sound more and more like some sort of hoax: the whole basic idea itself is pretty improbable if you stop to really think about it.

Also, after coming out with the idea at least five years ago - suggesting imminent kick-off - the only follow-up has been further projections of some future real progress.

It is starting to sound more and more like some sort of hoax: the whole basic idea itself is pretty improbable if you stop to really think about it.

I don't think its so much of a hoax, as the delusions of an "eccentric" billionaire. I believe he really wanted this to happen, a lot of money was spent on design and feasibility, including bringing in a classification society to ensure the design met SOLAS requirements. I believe his grasp was greater than his reach, what with depressed nickel prices, litigation against the company for pollution, and questionable payments to political parties and the Titanic 2 project, I think Mr. Palmer just thought he was too big to fail.

I agree. I just posted it as yet another example of the idiocy of trying to rebuild or restore old ships.

DON

DON

Sadly, I have to agree with you. After many years of heroic effort by various well-meaning preservation groups to "save" Big U, it is time for them to accept the inevitable, and throw in the towel....stop throwing in good money after bad.

Her life has been well documented, and while the ship has already been gutted, and collectable items auctioned off, they could still 'save' some parts for museum preservation, such as the prow, the bridge, a funnel, etc.

And perhaps they could sentimentally use some of her scrapped steel for inclusion in some newbuild somewhere...

sort of like the World Trade Center steel in the USS New York (LPD-21)...