up sell..good deal?

flowerpots

We just got that same upsell offer, and we passed. The cabin they were offering was close to where we were now, but the upsell is basically a retail price upsell from the last VB/SS price gap. It they are offering that now, could be better ones in the next week. And we're happy with our Verandah location and side of the ship. YMMV - we thought an additional 600 could be better spent elsewhere.

It's my understanding the double points are from initial puchase, not from upsell.

We just got that same upsell offer, and we passed. The cabin they were offering was close to where we were now, but the upsell is basically a retail price upsell from the last VB/SS price gap. It they are offering that now, could be better ones in the next week. And we're happy with our Verandah location and side of the ship. YMMV - we thought an additional 600 could be better spent elsewhere.

It's my understanding the double points are from initial puchase, not from upsell.

Yes you are correct - you do not get double point for an upsell, only when you pay full price for a suite at booking time.

An up sell from a VB verandah on the Westerdam to category ss to sz for $326/pp….is this a good deal and a better cabin?

Not such a good deal, maybe if it were $326 for both but not so much at $650. The only thing you might achive is another upsell to an SB or SA, but at what cost. It is a bigger cabin though but no extra points as Lizzie stated.

DH and I sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam the week of Thanksgiving. I originally booked a regular balcony cabin last spring. Over the summer I called and upgraded us to a SS suite. Two weeks before the cruise, I received an email from HAL offering an upsell of only $199 per person for a Neptune Suite. Oh yeah, you bet we took it and absolutely loved it. I just checked our Mariner status and we received 17 days - 7 days for the cruise, 7 days for the upsell suite, and 3 days for what we spent onboard.

I originally booked a regular balcony cabin last spring. Over the summer I called and upgraded us to a SS suite.

You were given the double days credit based on the SS you upgraded yourself to by paying a going rate for that. It had nothing to do with the upsell at a less than going rate.

A couple of things to consider on any upsell:

First, if you have HAL insurance (or any other for that matter), you may have to pay a bit more based on the new cruise price - be sure you check on this.

Second, ask for the new cabin number before you commit. You may not like the new location.

DaveOKC

You were given the double days credit based on the SS you upgraded yourself to by paying a going rate for that. It had nothing to do with the upsell at a less than going rate.

Exactly! I took an upsell to a neptune as well and I paid a lot more than $199 for that pleasure:D. I didn't get one extra credit that I didn't deserve.