Just heard from the sapphire princess

ginagirl

My son and daughter in law just called from the Seattle pier, looking to check in, and were told that people who just finished sailing on it were sick with Noro. It seems there is a lot of cleaning now going on and embarkation is being delayed. Was wondering if anyone had more information as to how bad the outbreak was on this sailing that ended today. Thanx for any feedback regarding this previous sailing.

My son and daughter in law just called from the Seattle pier, looking to check in, and were told that people who just finished sailing on it were sick with Noro. It seems there is a lot of cleaning now going on and embarkation is being delayed. Was wondering if anyone had more information as to how bad the outbreak was on this sailing that ended today. Thanx for any feedback regarding this previous sailing.

It isn't posted on the CDC site yet. This year they don't seem to update that site right away. In years past I was able to look it up there as it was happening. This year, not so much.

It isn't posted on the CDC site yet. This year they don't seem to update that site right away. In years past I was able to look it up there as it was happening. This year, not so much.
I thought that the percentage of passengers/crew who are sick has to be 10% (?) or more in order to be posted on the CDC website.

Since Noro is so prevalent (you have a far better chance of getting it from going to the supermarket or a big meeting than you do on a ship), cruise ships do extra cleaning all the time. It happens and I know I've been glad the cruiseline was doing the extra cleaning before boarding the ship.

I thought that the percentage of passengers/crew who are sick has to be 10% (?) or more in order to be posted on the CDC website.

Since Noro is so prevalent (you have a far better chance of getting it from going to the supermarket or a big meeting than you do on a ship), cruise ships do extra cleaning all the time. It happens and I know I've been glad the cruiseline was doing the extra cleaning before boarding the ship.

They have to report it at 3% but I think the CDC isn't posting it on their website as quickly as they have in past years.

They have to report it at 3% but I think the CDC isn't posting it on their website as quickly as they have in past years.
Ahh... IMHO, that's a good thing because only cruise ships have to report it so then the media dubs is as the "cruise ship sickness" when in fact, it's far more prevalent. Where do people think those who bring it on board get it from? :)

Yes - it is the norovirus. We were delayed from embarkation last week on the 30th as they were sanitizing. Taking folks off in stretchers.

We were a multi-generational family with three cabins. My niece was with my parents in their cabin. She complained of nausea and my mom made the mistake of calling the medical center to have them evaluate my niece. They immediately quarantined them for 3 days. Turns out none of them were sick - my niece had just eaten too much junk.

No one ever did evaluate my niece - they just quarantined all in the cabin. I get the caution; however not providing medical evaluation or review of the pax before the quarantine is not cool. My mom called many, many times. No one would help them. This was my nieces first cruise and she missed all her excursions.

DO NOT alert any staff until you are SURE you are sick. Stay in your room on self quarantine until you are sure of your symptoms.

Yes - it is the norovirus. We were delayed from embarkation last week on the 30th as they were sanitizing. Taking folks off in stretchers.

We were a multi-generational family with three cabins. My niece was with my parents in their cabin. She complained of nausea and my mom made the mistake of calling the medical center to have them evaluate my niece. They immediately quarantined them for 3 days. Turns out none of them were sick - my niece had just eaten too much junk.

No one ever did evaluate my niece - they just quarantined all in the cabin. I get the caution; however not providing medical evaluation or review of the pax before the quarantine is not cool. My mom called many, many times. No one would help them. This was my nieces first cruise and she missed all her excursions.

DO NOT alert any staff until you are SURE you are sick. Stay in your room on self quarantine until you are sure of your symptoms.

Sorry to hear that... quick question though... Why didn't you just take her to the Medical Center?

Hello all! I just got off yesterday and I can say it was pretty bad. Our boarding was delayed until almost 1-1:30 which is pretty strange. We were not told until after we boarded that there was a problem and they never told us while all of us were in line to board. We found out later from the crew. My mom was stuck in her room for 3 days. I know when the doctor/nurse went to her room she had a stack of papers about 3 inches thick of more people to go see who had the same thing. Obviously they needed to try and control this but it caused the lines in the buffet to be crazy because you couldn't serve yourself.

Norovirus certainly isn't much fun, but when you have it, there's no need to be quarantined as you can hardly get out of bed. I had it this past January (not cruise ship related) and didn't feel well for almost 10 days after onset. No one else in my family got it, so I guess we sanitized properly all the while. Any food or drink I was able to consume was on paper plates, cups, plastic utensils, etc... and disposed of, the bathroom I used was constantly cleaned every time I used it and I didn't prepare any food nor did I wash dishes for a few days after I was able to get on my feet again.

Hopefully the ship was sanitized completely so no one on subsequent cruises is sick, only time will tell. I think it's great that the ship personnel took the time for extra cleaning to try to avoid new pax becoming infected. It's very much worth the wait of a couple hours or so.

I think it's a bit unfair for media to portray Norovirus as a cruise ship illness as well. Many times schools, hospitals, day care, office buildings, etc... can be the source of infection.

Plus, the fact the illness has to be brought aboard by a person, usually a passenger who doesn't take precautions is the start of infecting others, but the ship gets the blame. I read at times of people thinking the ship doesn't clean enough, but how in the heck can you know where the germs are landing with so many people touching railings, elevator buttons, buffet serving utencils, counter tops, doorknobs????

We just came back from that ship yesterday. You can tell the crews are very cautious about sanitizing. Like the previous post, you cannot serve the food yourself in buffet which makes the buffet the worst place to eat. Waiting is like 30 minutes during lunch hour.

When entering / leaving dining room, we were requested to use sanitizer to clean our hands.

Also, during the trip, we had delays here and there:

1. Embarkation: We arrived around 11:10 AM and didn't board until 1:45

2. Juneau: It's docked around 45 minutes before schedule, we couldn't get off ship until one hour after scheduled time (which is 2PM)

3. Disembarkation: We were on-time but couldn't get off ship until 9:30, we were in walk-off group E, which is supposed to meet at 8:15 in Explorer's Lounge.

Other than that, I don't feel overly disturbed. I do feel sorry for those who were asked to be stay in their stateroom.

Plus, the fact the illness has to be brought aboard by a person, usually a passenger who doesn't take precautions is the start of infecting others, but the ship gets the blame. I read at times of people thinking the ship doesn't clean enough, but how in the heck can you know where the germs are landing with so many people touching railings, elevator buttons, buffet serving utencils, counter tops, doorknobs????

It's always surprised me how many passengers just walk right past the hand sanitizers and into the buffet. I've actually heard a few complain on the occaisions when there is a crew member present requesting them to use it!

Judy

Ahh... IMHO, that's a good thing because only cruise ships have to report it so then the media dubs is as the "cruise ship sickness" when in fact, it's far more prevalent. Where do people think those who bring it on board get it from? :)

Not necessarily IMO. We were on the Dawn Princess in Alaska and had an outbreak several years ago. While we got reports to our cabin daily "people are still sick" - we had no clue how bad it was - people were guessing and passing along guesses around. We logged on to CDC and saw that 6% were sick and it was broken down by passengers and crew. It gave us as passengers a more realistic view of what the status was as Princess wasn't telling us anymore then "yes it is on the ship - wash your hands". Maybe I would feel differently if the ship was more "forthcoming".

It's always surprised me how many passengers just walk right past the hand sanitizers and into the buffet. I've actually heard a few complain on the occaisions when there is a crew member present requesting them to use it!

Judy

Though - the hand sanitizers don't work against norovirus. At least the reports I have read.

It was on the national news this am., I think I was watching CNN. The one with Robin Meade. They made a big deal out of it and mentioned that it was a Princess Cruise ship.

From the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-factsheet.htm

Prevention

The most important means of preventing norovirus transmission and infection is exercising frequent and appropriate hand washing. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers (≥62% ethanol) may be helpful as an adjunct method of hand hygiene, but should not replace washing with soap and water.

Sorry to hear that... quick question though... Why didn't you just take her to the Medical Center?

Good question - unlike the other post where the lady was visited by medical personell in her cabin; my parents were told to stay in the cabin and NOT leave to bring my niece to the medical center. They were told that medical staff would come to the cabin - which never happened. Hence the advice to quarantine yourself until you are sure of your symptoms - do not call staff.

Norovirus certainly isn't much fun, but when you have it, there's no need to be quarantined as you can hardly get out of bed. I had it this past January (not cruise ship related) and didn't feel well for almost 10 days after onset. No one else in my family got it, so I guess we sanitized properly all the while. Any food or drink I was able to consume was on paper plates, cups, plastic utensils, etc... and disposed of, the bathroom I used was constantly cleaned every time I used it and I didn't prepare any food nor did I wash dishes for a few days after I was able to get on my feet again.

Hopefully the ship was sanitized completely so no one on subsequent cruises is sick, only time will tell. I think it's great that the ship personnel took the time for extra cleaning to try to avoid new pax becoming infected. It's very much worth the wait of a couple hours or so.

I think it's a bit unfair for media to portray Norovirus as a cruise ship illness as well. Many times schools, hospitals, day care, office buildings, etc... can be the source of infection.

I agree completely. It is unfair of the media to portray Norovirus as a cruise ship illness. I could go on and on about the poor job the media does in most cases, but this site is about cruising. Suffice it to say, I for one think that all of the cruise lines do a very good job of keeping their ships clean and sanitized. I take all the necessary precautions and trust the work of Princess in sanitizing their ships.

Not necessarily IMO. We were on the Dawn Princess in Alaska and had an outbreak several years ago. While we got reports to our cabin daily "people are still sick" - we had no clue how bad it was - people were guessing and passing along guesses around. We logged on to CDC and saw that 6% were sick and it was broken down by passengers and crew. It gave us as passengers a more realistic view of what the status was as Princess wasn't telling us anymore then "yes it is on the ship - wash your hands". Maybe I would feel differently if the ship was more "forthcoming".

I don't know how they can be any more forthcoming. There may be fewer pax with the virus than people who have reported being ill, like the people who mentioned their grandaughter here.

But, does it really make all that much difference if 100 vs. 200 people are tested positive for the virus? Just the fact the virus is present is enough for me to be more careful.

I'm pretty much a buffet snob and have felt for years it is the worst place to get a meal. I just cannot stand the fact that dozens of people have already been handling the serving utencils. I use the hand sanitizer when it is out, even though I already wash my hands before entering the dining room. That another cruiser would see me avoid it is enough of a reason for me, even though I don't really believe it prevents illness.

Archived