Sea Sick on Emerald & Balcony?

Sunshine101

We're travelling with our best friends and he gets sea-sick. Well, he was on one Carnival cruise a few years ago, it was a smaller ship, and he was nauseous the whole week. :(

We are sailing on the Emerald. Because its a much bigger ship, do you think he'll be ok? They are debating about getting a balcony. Do you think this would make his seasickness worse or help?

Thanks for your help! :D

Has he tried taking Bonine? I am very succeptible to sea-sickness but I've taken this on the past couple of diving boats that I've been out on and it's been wonderful. No nausea at all! I'd definitely recommend trying that out.

They say (not sure who "they" is but this is the rumour I've always been told) that fresh air and being able to see the horizon are key to helping with seasickness. So at least an oceanview would be better than an inside, and a balcony would be even better. And probably one midships and on a lower deck would be even more important. That said, if he really is that susceptible, mere geographical factors won't be enough -- he'll need to stock up on remedies and I believe Bonine might be best as it seems that what's most recommended here. The key seems to be to begin taking it prior to stepping onboard.

I have always had issues with motion sickness, but when I became pregnant with my son, it reset my vestibular system, and it is so much worse now than BM (before motherhood). He is 17 but the motion sickness lingers on!

I cannot tolerate Bonnine or Drammamine. I have found some good results with ginger. I take the capsules throughout the day, chew ginger gum (yep! it is pretty icky), drink ginger ale, and snack on ginger snaps. I also wear the highly fashionable "sea bands" on my wrists-- a lovely edition to my my formal wear!:o

I have always had issues with motion sickness, but when I became pregnant with my son, it reset my vestibular system, and it is so much worse now than BM (before motherhood). He is 17 but the motion sickness lingers on!

I cannot tolerate Bonnine or Drammamine. I have found some good results with ginger. I take the capsules throughout the day, chew ginger gum (yep! it is pretty icky), drink ginger ale, and snack on ginger snaps. I also wear the highly fashionable "sea bands" on my wrists-- a lovely edition to my my formal wear!:o

They should make 'em with sequins or something for formal nights. I mean, they're obviously designed to be worn on cruises; you'd think the company would see a fashion opportunity there.

He should take a preventative....if he got nauseated on a ship before, it's likely to happen again. Ships move...they float on the ocean, and no matter how large they are, the ocean always has the upper hand!

Having fresh air should be much better than an inside cabin! He should try for a cabin midships, mid deck!

the sea bands are my daughter's fashion accessory of choice on a cruise. rdsqrl you're brilliant, i am going to sew some sequins on some for her! she'll get a kick out of that.

we also rely on ginger gravol (is that available in the states?) and gingerale.

the sea bands are my daughter's fashion accessory of choice on a cruise. rdsqrl you're brilliant, i am going to sew some sequins on some for her! she'll get a kick out of that.

we also rely on ginger gravol (is that available in the states?) and gingerale.

Hey, you could buy some wholesale and bling 'em up then sell them. Maybe make enough money to book another cruise! I'd only ask for a small percentage cut for giving you the idea!

They should make 'em with sequins or something for formal nights. I mean, they're obviously designed to be worn on cruises; you'd think the company would see a fashion opportunity there.

I am seeing a marketing opportunity: sequins, rhinestones, flowers, leather and studs.

Heck, with a "Bedazzler", we could be in business-- Oh, no! Where is my Bedazzler??? Probably next to my Flow-Be:eek: !

Hey, you could buy some wholesale and bling 'em up then sell them. Maybe make enough money to book another cruise! I'd only ask for a small percentage cut for giving you the idea!

Would that be equivalent to first authorship for conceptualization.... hmmmmmm

I am seeing a marketing opportunity: sequins, rhinestones, flowers, leather and studs.

Heck, with a "Bedazzler", we could be in business-- Oh, no! Where is my Bedazzler??? Probably next to my Flow-Be:eek: !

perfect--we have a great team--lets do it. do you think feathers, or marabou are too much ?

I have always heard that is easier to prevent it than to get rid of it. I would suggest that your friend book a mid ship lower lever outside or balcony cabin and begin taking Bonine or Dramamine days before the cruise. He could also talk to his doctor about a motion sickness patch that might be better. I also think a bigger ship has less motion than the smaller ships so with this in mine and a bit of prevention he might do better this cruise.

I think Bonnine or Drammamine would work but start it at least two days before the cruise and take it all week no matter if you feel fine or not. I have MS and use Meclezine (which is the prescription form of Bonnie or Drammamine) and start taking it 3 times a day (as prescribed) at least 2 days before and then all week. Helps a lot with my Vertigo/motion sickness.....

Ter

A big ship and emerald is one of the bigger ones is always better than a little ship, here size matters and bigger is always better.

But then there is the sea and if it is rough even a big ship will rock or if it is really windy ditto.

As others said one gets sick the fastest when motion and eyes don't register the same thing, but if one is easy to motion sickness then a balcony may not help much beyond a much larger area to well you know :D:eek:

As others suggested once sick forget it... so best thing is to take some medication a good few hours before you are on the ship and do it daily to insure you never are sick. Another thing to do is try the medication out before you to make sure it won't have some nasty effect worst then being just a little sick.

Good luck

We're travelling with our best friends and he gets sea-sick. Well, he was on one Carnival cruise a few years ago, it was a smaller ship, and he was nauseous the whole week. :(

We are sailing on the Emerald. Because its a much bigger ship, do you think he'll be ok? They are debating about getting a balcony. Do you think this would make his seasickness worse or help?

Thanks for your help! :D

Has he tried taking Bonine? I am very succeptible to sea-sickness but I've taken this on the past couple of diving boats that I've been out on and it's been wonderful. No nausea at all! I'd definitely recommend trying that out.

My wife takes 1 Bonine per day, and she has no sea sickness problems (she did prior to the Bonine discovery). It doesn't make her drowsy, either! She swears by that stuff...

Archived