Just Back From Dream - Eastern - The Good & Areas for Improvement

jas1178

Hello everyone! Just back today from Dream. Overall it was a great trip! If you have questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them. Also, will share my review of everything we encountered.

Carnival has done some EXCELLENT things with this Dream class of ship, but as to be expected, there are a few areas that they could improve. (And I have no problem sharing my opinons there too).

I'll even throw in some pictures too.

As I said, great vacation....full details coming soon!

I'm sure you all know the joys of unpacking etc :-)

Compounding that process is the fact I dislocated my knee on the last night of the cruise :(

This cruise included my DW31 / DD4/ DS1 / & ME31.

We live in Tampa (2.5 hours to the port) but decided to stay at the Residence Inn the night before. They offer FREE Parking and a $3 per person per way Shuttle. Trying to be thrifty, I used the shuttle service after dropping everyone else and the luggage at the port. This ended up being a huge hassle, and don't recommend this process.

The hotel was nice (love the fact it was paid on points:D)

2129687870103137190S425x425Q85.jpg 2681397480103137190S425x425Q85.jpg

Morning came, and my wife who couldn't sleep watched her sail in...

After breakfast, we saw her for the first time up close:

2582597380103137190S425x425Q85.jpg

With very little waiting at the port we were on board!

(NOTE: The embarkation photo at this port is GREEN SCREEN - don't wear green if you value the photo - you'll disappear!)

2910579920103137190S425x425Q85.jpg

We headed straight to the dining room for Lunch...

More to come later this evening!

I was also on that cruise and am looking forward to your review. I want to see what your experience was like. The Dream is a beutiful ship. We had a few issues but was you said, I was on vacation so how could anything ruin that.

Can't wait for more! We sail on the Dream in 9 weeks! Look forward to hearing to good, bad and whatever else you want to throw in there!

Looking forward to hearing more can't wait to continually hear more info about the Dream. We will be getting off the ship as you get on we are 8 weeks out.

Lunch in the dining room on embarkation day was a nice treat. It was very relaxing, and easy to corral the two kids while killing time to 1:30 rooms ready.

After Lunch, it was time to look around, and take a picture that has become a tradition...

2176025030103137190S425x425Q85.jpg 2638052970103137190S425x425Q85.jpg

Next up, a quick preview of Waterworks!

2161708490103137190S425x425Q85.jpg

Then it was off to our room. We had books IS (Inside Guarantee) very close to sail date, and got our room assignment 48 hours prior to sailing. (We checked HOURLY praying we hadn't made a mistake by doing this). We ended up with a Deluxe Oceanview Category 6M. Our room number was 2234 (which if you look at the deck plans is under the theatre...and worried us) If everything was still you make out the music playing in the theatre, but it wasn't bad. We also had our fan with us to minimize any issue.

We walk to our room and meet our Cabin Steward from our Glory Cruise (the one who was very good to us in a very HOT cabin...see the link below if you want to read the gorey details) Curtis immediately recognized us, and even told us we wouldn't have any AC problems on this ship. He was right...with the air set as low as it would go, it stayed wonderful! Funny thing, is we had a photo of Emma with Curtis, which we left on the computer screen when we went to dinner the first night. Curtis mentioned how much bigger Emma had gotten since the last cruise.

2543396670103137190S425x425Q85.jpg

The room had the standard Oceanview window with a ledge. We didn't notice until late in the cruise there was a sign obstructed by the blind that told you not to sit in the window. It brought hours of enjoyment!

2164773250103137190S425x425Q85.jpg

The room had the standard setup with standard bathroom, but added in a second "washroom" was the "Junior Tub / and extra sink/vanety" This feature was AWESOME! No need for the blowup pool we had used in the showers of the past! Mom & Kids LOVED the tub!

2142919560103137190S425x425Q85.jpg

Our 4 year old Emma quickly claimed the bunk (she had had that bed since she was two). We decided to try Noah (18 months) on the sofa (rather than clutter the floor with a crib). We had Curtis make up the bed, but then took the back cushions (shown in the photo on the bed) and put them on the front edge (with the table supporting the one). Other than getting Noah to understand this was his bed, and he should try to climb over the first night, he did great...this was definitely the right decision.

2788136310103137190S425x425Q85.jpg 2948782230103137190S425x425Q85.jpg 2764152790103137190S425x425Q85.jpg

We asked Curtis to leave the upper down all the time, as the kids (and parents) frequently took afternoon naps! Oh, did I mention the awsome [and forbidden] window seat?

2139319340103137190S425x425Q85.jpg 2160730040103137190S425x425Q85.jpg

Due to a hiccup, looks like this post was lost...here it is recreated:

A note regarding baggage screening:

We do not smuggle anything not permitted, however we LOCK our suitcases with the TSA locks that came with the cases. We carry a case of water, and dozen Mountain Dew each cruise. Also included is a fan, powerstrips, hairdryer, and Nebulizer.

Last cruise (Miracle) we had been called down to the naughty room for the case of water - which we packed in a suit case with our shoes.

Due to the contraversy, we split the water among 3 suit cases, along with the Mountain Dew. All of these bags were delivered without a problem. This time, we were called to the naughty room for our two garment bags that only had clothes in them along with one power stip each. Three Onboard guys went through these bags the last time removing EVERYTHING gently and couldn't figure out why they were tagged. They were not the least bit interested in the power strips. After they were convinced nothing was in the bags besides clothes and the stips, they released them to me with an appology - I was the first false positive they had seen on the dream...or so they said.

We also had to see the Matre'd regarding our dining assignment. Our documents all indicated "CONFIRMED - Your Time Dining" but our cards were printed "Late Seating". We have always done early seating on cruises with the young kids, but since it was waitlisted, decided to try this. The Matre'd quickly fixed the problem. I had read a tip on here to have your cards reprinted at the purser/guest service desk if you have "Your Time" since they check them...and did.

We did "Psuedo-Traditional" dining, as - with the exception of one night always arrived between 5:45-6:00pm, always ate with our same wait staff, and generally had the same table. These requests generally only meant a few minute wait, and we were pleased with it. Emma (4) only ate with us the first night, and one other time...as she prefers to eat with Camp Carnival.

Our wait staff the first night was INCREDIBLE...

2655445430103137190S425x425Q85.jpg 2395327470103137190S425x425Q85.jpg 2666794560103137190S425x425Q85.jpg 2028810720103137190S425x425Q85.jpg

I felt like service may have been a tiny bit slower than traditional, and it felt like they tried to pace their tables that were seated at slightly different times to be at courses together. This was fine, just something noticed.

The menu was the same tried and true, with the exception of a new to me entree: Martini and Rossi-Braised Basa Fillet with Tomato, Chili and Fennel.

Everything was very good at dinner - as always!

The ship is gorgeous. So pretty in so many ways! The deck 5 Lanai that goes all the way around became our nightly walk with our strollers before bed. We enjoyed the Ocean plaza - a great space.

But this brings me to our first area that needs improvement:

2596049240103137190S425x425Q85.jpg

Fun hub for those that don't know is a new feature on Dream. Terminals are scattered throughout decks 3/4/5 and provide access to the internet (for a fee) but also provide access to an onboard schedule/maps and social network.

This was a huge disappointment. With 4500 people on board, less than 85 had signed up before the last sea day. Of those that did, several were staff (Captain/Cruise Director/Youth Director/IT Manager) which were only there for looks - and did not utilize it.

It was a neglected feature that has so much potential. It was obvious that the scheduled was from months ago (it matched an old copy of capers we had - and didn't seem to be updated). Also, features were highlighted (like the "poll of the day") that were left defunct.

It was not advertised at all, and holds so much potential. I hope they don't abandon this - but improve it.

While I am ranting...how about ranting about the photo department:

The dream is testing a "NEW" Photo system that offers Plasma TV/Kiosks around the gallery that guests can walk up to and find their photos. The system is called "Easy Photo Finder". Guests walk up, swipe their sign and sail card...and nothing. This is after the photographers scan your card before photos...so why the disconnect??? I decided to ask. The photo manager explained they have been trying things for a few months. The technology is setup to be facial recognition...your initial security photo is the starting point. They tried this for 2 or 3 cruises, but there was a conflict between the security and the photo system. The only answer was to have a professional photographer take everyone's individual photo at the gang way...which they would try.

The system does allow you to browse all photos and add the one you find of you manually to your "album", which we did throughout the cruise. 1/2 way through the cruise, they modified the software to no longer show you a gallery view of say 20 photos per page, but changed it to a single photo per page...so in our case we went from 3 pages of photos to 60 to shuffle through.

I should also mention that these kioks were SLOW - and browsing to find new photos was painful.

Again - many of us have been BEGGING for this technology. Let me compare my photos side by side from both formal nights/etc.... These kiosks do just that. But for them to be used by mainstream users they have to be simply slide your card and the photos have to be there. Whos stupid idea was it to do facial recognition??? JUST SCAN OUR SIGN & SAIL CARDS (which the photographers are DOING!) and link them that way! Keep the ability to browse for photos in case we didn't get scanned - etc...but speed it up! THIS SYSTEM HAS HUGE POTENTIAL - PLEASE put people on it that want to see it suceed and not someone who considers it a bother to even turn on every morning.

Ok, more review & photos tomorrow....sorry for the double rant!

Anyone reading this?

Anyone have questions?

Good Night! HEY! CURTIS - where is my towel animal? Where are my mints? Why isn't the bed turned down? Hello? Oh...yeah, guess I have to do it myself.

The technology is setup to be facial recognition...your initial security photo is the starting point. They tried this for 2 or 3 cruises, but there was a conflict between the security and the photo system.

I have many times complained about the photo when we board the ship. I wear glasses and usually am told to remove them when I board the first time for the photo. Then anytime I leave the ship I get hassled about the photo not looking like me because I'm wearing glasses. Once when I removed my glasses so I looked like the picture that I didn't want taken without the glasses, I dropped them because of the other stuff I was carrying plus my cane. I was then told to hurry up, and since I wouldn't have been holding things up if I hadn't dropped my glasses if I didn't need to take them off in the first place, I took my time.

Technology is great, but they need to work the bugs out of any program they use, but more importantly they need to educate the people that are onboard using it. There's nothing worse than new stuff onboard and the staff don't know how to properly use it.

I'm sure facial recognition is going to have a problem with the poor photo that the card machine takes when we board. I've never seen a really good picture from those machines.

We're getting ready to go on this ship in December so I'm really looking at your reviews so I know what to expect.

Great review. Carnival needs to have a photo sytem similar to Disney. They give you a card and you scan the card each time you get photos. We lost our card once and were able to give an approx date/time for our photos and they retrieved them and we were off again.

The Disney system also works for 30 days after you get home. You can order the photos (albums, CDS and other items) and they are shipped to your house.

Great review. Carnival needs to have a photo sytem similar to Disney. They give you a card and you scan the card each time you get photos. We lost our card once and were able to give an approx date/time for our photos and they retrieved them and we were off again.

The Disney system also works for 30 days after you get home. You can order the photos (albums, CDS and other items) and they are shipped to your house.

Great idea...Since a system isn't even in place yet, rather than create a system using dedicated photo card, why not tie it into the S&S card... :)

Regarding the photos: Disney has done a GREAT job with its Photo Pass System! What I couldn't get from the photo manager - was if the photographers ARE SCANNING our cards now - why they weren't being attached. There has to be a link or something that isn't turned on.

Someone emailed asking about the Jr. Tub - so here's a photo of my wife - in the tub...

2178032300103137190S425x425Q85.jpg

(Yes, I know we are weird - all taking pictures fully clothed in the tub)

Moving along!

Let's talk about Lunch shall we?

I feel like this is an area that they really suceeded - so many options that helped keep lines down.

1. Pasta Bar - This was one of my favorites. Located above the buffets in the location of the old Fish & Chips on Conquest class ships. Fill out a slip of paper with your specifications, sit down at a table number sign, and within minutes a perfectly crafted steaming bowl of pasta is delivered - Brilliant! I ate here several times, and pleased with every combination I tried.

Same menu daily:

1. Select Pasta: Linguini / Penne / Farfalle

2. Select Sauce: Pomodoro / Red Clam / Bolognaise / Alfredo

3. Select Toppings: Charred Chicken Strips / Italian Sausage / Cherry Tomatos / Zucchini / Egg Plant / Spinach / Garlic Shrimps / Mushrooms / Peppers / Onions / Broccoli / Arugula

4. Select Extras: Caesar Salad / Bread

5. Alternative Selection: Meat Lasagna (Note: When ordered I received a vegtable Lasagna - which they said is all they had...not sure what happened here)

2. Lanai BBQ - Served outside on the deck 5 Lanai (just off Oceans Plaza). Great food / freshly prepared.

Menu was the same daily and included Pulled Pork or Steak Tacos, Quesadillas, Hot Dogs, Sliders. (Don't have the full menu so this is from memory)

3. Sushi Bar - Located inside Oceans Plaza. During Lunch converted to a salad bar with pre-made Turkey Wraps. Very tasty.

4. Buritto Bar - Located just under the pasta station in the Lido Buffet area aft. Again another hit! Lines here could be slow, but well worth it!

1. Select your meat: Shrimp / Chicken / Beef

2. Select your toppings: Flammed Corn / Lemon Rice / Black Beans / Pinto Beans / Sauteed Onions / Green Peppers / Lettuce / Montery Jack Cheese

3. Select your sause: Sour Cream / Guacamole / Roasted Chile / Green Tomatillo

4. Add Chips & Salsa: Traditional / Red Chile / Green Chile / Tomatillo

5. Mongolian Wok - didn't try this, but appeared to be the same as I have seen on other ships. Always had a decent line.

6. Grand Buffet - Again, grabbed items here are there from the buffet, but with so many other GREAT options - didn't spend much time here.

7. Taste of the Nations - Again, grabbed items here are there from the buffet, but with so many other GREAT options - didn't spend much time here.

8. Pizza - located mid ship at the pool. Same menu as all of the other ships...decent pizza. Open 24 hours a day.

9. Deli - located aft by the pool. Same menu as all of the other ships. Had a ruben. Was open late daily.

10. Indian Tandoor - located aft by the pool. This one seemed to be overlooked by almost everyone...except the staff. We sat out near this station twice, and saw a steady stream of ships staff (especially the security folks) coming here for lunch. I didn't get the menu, but tried several things here. From memory: AWESOME Hummice with Nan bread (including a garlic version!) Tandoor Chicken, Beef Kabob, Chicken Marsala, Grilled Cottage Cheese, and much more. A bit spicy, but oh so good.

11. Room Service - Standard menu available fleetwide. Available FREE and 24 hours a day.

12. Dining Room - This is going to cause a rant, so let me deal with this in my next post.

More to come!

jas1178, Loving your review thus far!!! We will be on the Dream in 3 Months!!!

What time did you see the Dream arrive at the terminal/port?

What time did you all get to the terminal? And, then, Get on-board?

Keep it coming, Again, Loving IT!!!:)

Matt

Archived