Slipping standards QM2

cruzadict

I have just read the last few reviews of QM2 which were not very complimentary. I do hope that the standards improve by 19th December!!!

We've been on board QM2 since Nov. 27. Last night, Hubby and I were talking about how things have changed in Britannia class. Sadly, we both agreed standards have slipped quite a bit. However, we both feel the crew are working harder than ever and doing their best. I'll write more about this after the voyage as the internet connection on board is slow and costly.

Hopefully, your experience on the 19th December voyage will be better.

Bon voyage,

Salacia

We've been on board QM2 since Nov. 27. Last night, Hubby and I were talking about how things have changed in Britannia class. Sadly, we both agreed standards have slipped quite a bit. However, we both feel the crew are working harder than ever and doing their best. I'll write more about this after the voyage as the internet connection on board is slow and costly.

Hopefully, your experience on the 19th December voyage will be better.

Bon voyage,

Salacia

I agree the crew are doing their best, we had no problems with cabin or dining service.

All the problems come from head office and the bean counters.

Slow internet? I found it OK but then again I tended to rise early and use it around 6am, I was often the only person using the computers in the rooms.

Costly? I haven't ever paid, world club took care of it. Maybe on a longer cruise it isn't much of an internet time allowance per day though.

I have just read the last few reviews of QM2 which were not very complimentary. I do hope that the standards improve by 19th December!!!

Things were great back in October 2010. I wouldn't pay too much attention to all the negative posts. I'm sure that some unfortunate passengers do happen upon the odd surly waiter, however in the vast majority of circumstances, generally speaking, everything seems to be excellent.

I worried about this subject prior to going on my first crossing and I shouldn't have. My expectations were met and exceeded. I'm sure yours will be as well.

I've just realised I have inadvertently told a lie. There was one huge disappointment and that was G32, and that pathetic excuse for a band - Vibzs.

We were also onboard for the Nov. 27 cruise from NY. We were in Queens Grill and were disappointed with the food, finding the selections not to our taste, much of it not well prepared, and frankly little of it tasty. We found the service friendly but the staff overworked having to serve too many tables. The food at lunch on the day we ate in Todd English was awful and the service not much better but we found bar staff better than ever, hard working and friendly. Our butler Lily, a sweetheart from Romania, was amazing and we hope she will be onboard when we return to sail from Hamburg on June 1st for New York...No, we didn't eat well, and even though I have severe mobility problems and found the trip from 9001 to the D stairs and elevators tough and the return tougher, we booked a cabin fairly well aft and close to those stairs and lifts to get me to and from the Grill.

We had friends traveling onboard both in Princess Grill and Britannia and their take on the food mirrored ours but we all loved our time onboard anyway.

Things were great back in October 2010. I wouldn't pay too much attention to all the negative posts. I'm sure that some unfortunate passengers do happen upon the odd surly waiter, however in the vast majority of circumstances, generally speaking, everything seems to be excellent.

I worried about this subject prior to going on my first crossing and I shouldn't have. My expectations were met and exceeded. I'm sure yours will be as well.

I've just realised I have inadvertently told a lie. There was one huge disappointment and that was G32, and that pathetic excuse for a band - Vibzs.

Margatebne, I don't know how many voyages you've taken on QM2, but past experiences will obviously affect one's viewpoint. For example, those who started sailing on QM2 in 2004 and have had several voyages since then, will have a different reference point (historical perspective) from those who voyages are limited to recent voyages.

Just a thought.

Salacia

We've been on board QM2 since Nov. 27. Last night, Hubby and I were talking about how things have changed in Britannia class. Sadly, we both agreed standards have slipped quite a bit.

Bon voyage,

Salacia

Hi Salacia,

Could you be more specific with your observations "how things have changed".

Thanks, Terrence

I too sailed 11/27. I just have to comment that I thought the band Vibes was fantastic. I guess everyone has a different opinion. I was in the Queens Grill and the food was good but not as great as before. I thought the wait staff did the best they could. They just have many more tables than before. Loved the Captain. He has a wonderful personality.

Hello

I have sailed on the QM2 9 times at this point starting in 2006, most recently this past July/August on two transtatlantics. I have provided my observations on two rather long posts (2007 and 2010)....I have traveled in Britannia Club but mostly in Britannia. (Never in the grills.) It is my humble opinion that if anything, the experience on the board the ship is better than ever. Of course, it is possible that the ship has totally gone down hill since the summer but I doubt it. Please do not think I am blind to some shortcomings. Every ship has them. Please know that I am sailing on the Queen Victoria on 1/13 on a 17 night Panama Canal cruise. I can tell you very sincerely that no way I would be doing this if I thought Cunard Line executives/beann counters were ruining the brand.

Deck Chair

Hello

I have sailed on the QM2 9 times at this point starting in 2006, most recently this past July/August on two transtatlantics. I have provided my observations on two rather long posts (2007 and 2010)....I have traveled in Britannia Club but mostly in Britannia. (Never in the grills.) It is my humble opinion that if anything, the experience on the board the ship is better than ever. Of course, it is possible that the ship has totally gone down hill since the summer but I doubt it. Please do not think I am blind to some shortcomings. Every ship has them. Please know that I am sailing on the Queen Victoria on 1/13 on a 17 night Panama Canal cruise. I can tell you very sincerely that no way I would be doing this if I thought Cunard Line executives/beann counters were ruining the brand.

Deck Chair

Like I mentioned earlier we were just on QM2 twice last month and thought it OK, much like Princess line really, but with slightly less menu choice for us "rowers" and more Britons onboard. That was about it really, much like Princess, and I'm happily going on Coral Princess tomorow which is costing me more per day than Cunard did recently..................

QM2 today doesn't feel like QE2 did a few years ago, that's for sure.

Specially the Kings Court! What a zoo!

With what I pay on Cunard in steerage now, around $75 a day or less, I'm not going to complain about very much though.

Now if I was in the Grills and paying top $ I would have different expectations.

Our experience on the Nov.27th voyage was fantastic. We were in the Q-Grill. We had a friend of my mother who traveled A-2. It was not up to the standards of the Grills, but her staff were pretty good. In talking with Jimsgirl(whom we met on board)she (and others)had some pretty shoddy service. Seems that quite a bit of the staff(though not from the Grills)were sent to train staff on the QE. Eitherway, to have put improperly trained staff in the Brittania was extremely poor judgement.

We were also onboard for the Nov. 27 cruise from NY. We were in Queens Grill and were disappointed with the food, finding the selections not to our taste, much of it not well prepared, and frankly little of it tasty. We found the service friendly but the staff overworked having to serve too many tables. The food at lunch on the day we ate in Todd English was awful and the service not much better but we found bar staff better than ever, hard working and friendly. Our butler Lily, a sweetheart from Romania, was amazing and we hope she will be onboard when we return to sail from Hamburg on June 1st for New York...No, we didn't eat well, and even though I have severe mobility problems and found the trip from 9001 to the D stairs and elevators tough and the return tougher, we booked a cabin fairly well aft and close to those stairs and lifts to get me to and from the Grill.

We had friends traveling onboard both in Princess Grill and Britannia and their take on the food mirrored ours but we all loved our time onboard anyway.

Willem, we were on the same cruise, same deck, same butler. I thought we had a trek, but you, wow. I feel sorry for you. We also are BaltoMorons. I guess we should have met up at some point. We sat at Table 15 next to the window. I have a hard time getting around myself.

Our experience with Lily was extremely strange. I am actually in the process of drafting a letter to Cunard. She was a little too "familiar" with me and my things. She knew what we bought, because she told us she looked in our bags; she told her co-workers what kind of handbag I carried. I was mortified. Other things happened, too. It was so frightening that she would actually admit to these things, it was like she thought she was my "friend". We did let her unpack our bags. She did know where things were, since she put them there. Of course, I unpacked valuables before and put things in the safe, and my medications. But it was just a little too strange that she would show off my finest items as if they were hers. It was too creepy for words. She had her co-workers come in and admire my handbag (on the top shelf in the closet, also some smaller in drawers) and my scarves (which are in the same designer as the handbag -- in orange boxes.) I felt absolutely violated. I will never feel comfortable on a cruise again.

Willem, we were on the same cruise, same deck, same butler. I thought we had a trek, but you, wow. I feel sorry for you. We also are BaltoMorons. I guess we should have met up at some point. We sat at Table 15 next to the window. I have a hard time getting around myself.

Our experience with Lily was extremely strange. I am actually in the process of drafting a letter to Cunard. She was a little too "familiar" with me and my things. She knew what we bought, because she told us she looked in our bags; she told her co-workers what kind of handbag I carried. I was mortified. Other things happened, too. It was so frightening that she would actually admit to these things, it was like she thought she was my "friend". We did let her unpack our bags. She did know where things were, since she put them there. Of course, I unpacked valuables before and put things in the safe, and my medications. But it was just a little too strange that she would show off my finest items as if they were hers. It was too creepy for words. She had her co-workers come in and admire my handbag (on the top shelf in the closet, also some smaller in drawers) and my scarves (which are in the same designer as the handbag -- in orange boxes.) I felt absolutely violated. I will never feel comfortable on a cruise again.

Wow Judy, that is really quite inexcusable. I believe I'd have gone straight to the Hotel Manager with that kind of familiarity and abuse of her job. What happened to the concept of discretion she should employ in that position?

I do hope you follow through with that letter...this is not the behavior a staff member should exhibit. But please, don't let it put you off on cruising. She is certainly the exception and you mustn't let her actions spoil something you love doing.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

2011...North to Alaska!! A wilderness tour and cruise....sorry Cunard.

Well it's all subjective anyway The last time we were on a transatlantic Vibz played every night in G32 and we danced every night in there because we loved Vibz

Odd. we had Lily in November and she was fine. I didn't ask her to unpack for me (nor did she offer) but she offered to make spa appointments, got us alternative canapes (we don't eat meat) and favorite beverages and basically took care of routine things. She was delightful about serving breakfast. Granted, we were pretty low maintenance. but i never got the sense she was intrusive. she had a steward, Venus, who worked with her but we rarely saw Venus, just her work. Lily was quick to follow up on requests. Sounds strange.

Margatebne, I don't know how many voyages you've taken on QM2, but past experiences will obviously affect one's viewpoint. For example, those who started sailing on QM2 in 2004 and have had several voyages since then, will have a different reference point (historical perspective) from those who voyages are limited to recent voyages.

Just a thought.

Salacia

I've been on one. And overall, everything was excellent. If things really have gone downhill, to reach the standard I experienced, than I have no comprehension of just how amazing it must have been. For the life of me I can't imagine what's missing? Did the staff spoon-feed the guests? Was dinner accompanied by huge lines of free Coke? What did I miss out on?

Just a response.

For some people it's a case of too much of a good thing!? Love it how all the posters are saying that the standards have slipped, whilst at the same time referring to their future cruise!

For new cruisers and Cunard virgins, don't worry - you will have a great time, and find that the 'slipping' standards are far better than lots of other cruise lines.

Go with an open mind and you will enjoy!

We had a fabulous time on the cruise. I (with the exception of the butler) had no unusual (in a bad way) experiences. I like to drink my ice water with a straw. After I asked once, the straw was always at my place setting. Other things, like my choice in rolls. Our lovely wait team always knew to have a salt stick for me. There wasn't a bad one in the bunch. Truthfully, if Lily hadn't spoken up, how would I have known otherwise? I never saw our other cabin attendant. All staff and crew were lovely to me. All passengers were lovely. Of course, there are always stories from the dining room. We had ours. There was a table of elder couples and one couple in particular was very loud. They always made a scene. It was terribly embarrassing we thought for the other couples at their table, but I sensed they traveled together and they were familiar with the other couple's MO.

The only reason I posted in here was because the first poster, Wilem is from my hometown and I was trying to reach him. We were in the Queens Grill.

Take what you will from my experiences with our butler. But, only she talked. If she hadn't spoken up, I would have never thought about the intrusions into my privacy. When I think about my past cruises, I shudder. This probably happens more than I realize -- they just are discreet about it.

If we expand our comparison to say 15 years, I can comment on the following:

Between courses, Sorbet was served to cleanse the palate. This was not expensive but consumed extra labor to serve.

Cheese was served on a trolley which was wheeled to each table; diners had a choice of about 20 selections. Today cheese comes pre-plated.

Smoked salmon was from Scotland in keeping with British tradition;

today it's from Norway where it is less expensive.

Total food costs divided by the number of passengers equals the cost of feeding the average passenger. This is monitored very closely and is subject to downward pressure to reduce costs. I could give more examples but you get the idea.

Would someone please like to fill me in about standards? What the heck standards is everyone thinking has slipped anyway?

What standards? Well at first seating in upper Britannia, here are a few examples

Being told that desert has to be sel

Hi Salacia,

Could you be more specific with your observations "how things have changed".

Thanks, Terrence

Hi Terrence. We (QM2) just docked in St. Maarten, and Hubby and I are about to go for a swim in some beautiful clear water a short walk from the pier. But we dock back in NY on Sunday, so I'll compose my thoughts and be more specific about my observations next week.

Cheers,

Salacia

OK, if standards come down to the type of food or the amount of food, I believe standards are down a bit from when I first started cruising in 1980. On the other hand, if I remember correctly, prices are nearly the same and in some cases lower, so in my mind, something has to give with the price of building the ships so costly and then the cost to fill them with fuel. Everything costs more nowadays, so in order to keep prices down, cruise lines have had to nickel and dime a little. If by standards, it means the way people dress, I believe they have lowered, depending on how you look at it. Certainly, pants for women wouldn't have been the norm in 1980, but I believe the gowns of today are much more elegant than they were then. And dress is a lot more casual everywhere, so it is bound to follow on ships. I found, as I looked for my gowns on this last cruise, that there are far fewer stores offering long gowns than there was ever three years ago. So I suppose, unless women are as tenacious as I was, that some would give up and by something lesser.

One other variable is that the ships of today are coping with the huge increase in passengers on each ship. With more people you will certainly get more that do not comply with dress codes or certain standards. However, at the same time, you will see lots more passengers that do comply.

Actually, I feel that Cunard has done very well in keeping its standards all in all, in spite of all the changes that have taken place.

Would someone please like to fill me in about standards? What the heck standards is everyone thinking has slipped anyway?

What standards? Well at first seating in upper Britannia, here are a few examples

Being told by waiter that desert has to be selected at same time as appetiser/salad/entree

Not true

I ordered a cold soup, waited 45 mins for it to arrive-cold soup made hours ahead so why the delay?

Salad served, dressing never came (table mate not myself) even when waiter informed

At table for 6 waiter served 3 entree's, left without serving other 3 , then came back approx 30 mins later and wanted to know which desert the table wanted, yet he could see that 3 people still had not been served their main course

4 nights waiter failed to serve "petit fours"

Having to leave dining room at 8 o'clock without desert ,tea or coffee, because entire meal was served so slow- the waiter just seemed to vanish for long periods of time between courses.

Yes these things were brought to notice of Maitre 'D, but so many tables had the same problems he must have been swamped .The dining room staff seemed to be completely untrained

You need more, well daily events sheet, could not even get day of the week correct, alecturer failed to arrive at Illuminations to give lecture.never saw Captain or any Senior Officer walking around checking what was going on. In fact at past passenger cocktail party, the Captain did not even greet at the door, the CD took centre stage there. No weather was not bad, so what excuse did Captain have, who knows?

My cabin was very good and my steward excellent, Sir Samuels, Chart room as in the past very good, as the shows were those of past 4/5 years I ignored those, went to piano concerts, very good , I met a large number of very nice people,

I had already paid for my Feb cruise before going on Nov cruise. so have to take that or lose $$$$.

Oh by the way, you know how on the last night the head waiter always comes around

to each table to "chat", not this time,- I assume he did not wish to receive an answer to his question "How were things"

Archived