Sexy or trashy hose?

nrs377

Was just curious to what you guys think about black back seam hose? I thought they would be "sexy" with this dress (with a matching bolero jacket), a pair of black peep toe heels, and accessories in red (basically what the model has on) Would I being going pass the "sexy" point and into the "I'm going to a funeral" look? I know I've posted a couple other dresses I was interested in on this forum, but I think this is the one. Don't want to "toot my own horn" but I'm down 26lbs so far, so..."toot-toot" and well on my way to giving the hubby quite the surprise by being a "hot" wife.

audrey-front1.jpg

Was just curious to what you guys think about black back seam hose? I thought they would be "sexy" with this dress (with a matching bolero jacket), a pair of black peep toe heels, and accessories in red (basically what the model has on) Would I being going pass the "sexy" point and into the "I'm going to a funeral" look? I know I've posted a couple other dresses I was interested in on this forum, but I think this is the one. Don't want to "toot my own horn" but I'm down 26lbs so far, so..."toot-toot" and well on my way to giving the hubby quite the surprise by being a "hot" wife.

First of all - super congratulations on being "down 26 pounds so far"...:)

Second of all - I have no doubt that your husband will be happily surprised to see you as "the hot wife" on your cruise!;)

So, let's just get down to specific "fashion" questions/issues at this moment...

If you're wearing peep toe heels - then it just really doesn't work to wear any kind of hose. There is always going to be either the toe seam, or the reinforced toe, or some extra fabric sticking out the front of those peep toes - and trust me, that is NOT sexy.

Peep toe shoes are for bare legs, and bare perfectly pedicured toes - and if not - then no peep toes for you!

What I would suggest to think about is...

Some super cute sexy pumps, or closed toe shoes if you want to wear the hose.

If you want to elongate the line of your dress to leg to shoe - then keep it all in black tones...

If you're not a "shorty" (5' 6" or above), and you don't think that you need to "elongate the line", then you can have a bit more fun.

In that case, I'd forget any kind of black hose, and go for something more natural.

Then do a pop of color with your closed toe shoes!

You don't say what your natural coloring is, but just for example...

If you are blonde, then a great yellow or gold shoe would be great...

If you have blue eyes, then a shoe in turquoise, or royal blue would be classy...

If you have green eyes, then get you some green shoes...

You see where I'm thinking here?

Peep toe? No hose.

You want to wear some sexy hose? Then some kind of closed toe pump.

Got it?

Make sense?:cool:

I think you are "wrong-o" on the no no hose with peep toes..

Last year in Vogue magazine was a spread with Jennifer Lopez and some others wearing tights, hose,etc. with peep toes

Here in FL when it gets COLD (like below 60 which it has here in Miami area the last few weeks) I see lots of women with tights, stockings, and peep toe shoes.

There is no hard and fast rule.

First of all - super congratulations on being "down 26 pounds so far"...:)

Second of all - I have no doubt that your husband will be happily surprised to see you as "the hot wife" on your cruise!;)

So, let's just get down to specific "fashion" questions/issues at this moment...

If you're wearing peep toe heels - then it just really doesn't work to wear any kind of hose. There is always going to be either the toe seam, or the reinforced toe, or some extra fabric sticking out the front of those peep toes - and trust me, that is NOT sexy.

Peep toe shoes are for bare legs, and bare perfectly pedicured toes - and if not - then no peep toes for you!

What I would suggest to think about is...

Some super cute sexy pumps, or closed toe shoes if you want to wear the hose.

If you want to elongate the line of your dress to leg to shoe - then keep it all in black tones...

If you're not a "shorty" (5' 6" or above), and you don't think that you need to "elongate the line", then you can have a bit more fun.

In that case, I'd forget any kind of black hose, and go for something more natural.

Then do a pop of color with your closed toe shoes!

You don't say what your natural coloring is, but just for example...

If you are blonde, then a great yellow or gold shoe would be great...

If you have blue eyes, then a shoe in turquoise, or royal blue would be classy...

If you have green eyes, then get you some green shoes...

You see where I'm thinking here?

Peep toe? No hose.

You want to wear some sexy hose? Then some kind of closed toe pump.

Got it?

Make sense?:cool:

Kudos on the weight loss!! I'm on a health & fitness journey myself, so I know how great you can feel when you hit these milestone numbers...and yes...you feel way more sexy...I do!:D:cool:

And so I think you just need to go with that...what makes YOU feel sexy? Have you been wanting to wear black seam hose but avoided it because you didn't like the way you looked in them? Now you are thinking...hmmm...when better to get to wear them than the cruise? Your DH is going to be so thrilled with his more confident, feeling sexy wife that no matter what you have on...he's going to be excited to get you out of it!...a-hem...:rolleyes:

SOoooo....I think that you should go for the hose if you want to...

While there are always some general guidelines for fashion...more and more...what I am seeing is that if you like the way you look...then you are good to go...someone will criticize it and someone will LOVE it...your response to both will be determined by how you feel wearing what you are wearing...if you feel great and like the way you look...and think that your DH likes the way you look (since you seem to be wanting to dress to surprise your DH...and there's nothing wrong with that at all...I think the DH's like that and it can make them feel special when you want to look nice for them especially)...then shrug your shoulders at what anyone else thinks and have a great time!

If you do decide to black out the bottom of yourself...black dress...black hose...black shoes...then may I suggest that you have a bit of fun with your cover up? Explore different options and different colors...whatever looks best on you to you...whether it's a bolero OR some sort of silky, touchable wrap...I think that with the structure of the dress (which is nice for the girls LOL)...some sort of sexy, filmy shoulder thing would be a great contrast...and color would bring the eye up to your lovely face...

You are so right on with that one..

I had to travel a lot for business to the upper midwest last month and bought hose, tights, etc. to wear with boots as I had to wear business skirt type suits. I was shocked to see how many varities of hose, tights, etc. were on the market, even in southern florida..one place I was at in Michigan a woman wore no hose with a dress and the rest of us did..honestly,she looked ridiculous to me...it's in the teens temperature wise and no hose..she stood out more in the crowd.

I think the right hose can make the entire outfit look more "finished". It depends on what makes you feel beautiful. Even where I live if it's in the 60's (cool for here) it's not uncommon to see women wearing hose or tights..women of all ages.

Hose always gets a bad rap. There are no rules...you make the rules that work for you!

Kudos on the weight loss!! I'm on a health & fitness journey myself, so I know how great you can feel when you hit these milestone numbers...and yes...you feel way more sexy...I do!:D:cool:

And so I think you just need to go with that...what makes YOU feel sexy? Have you been wanting to wear black seam hose but avoided it because you didn't like the way you looked in them? Now you are thinking...hmmm...when better to get to wear them than the cruise? Your DH is going to be so thrilled with his more confident, feeling sexy wife that no matter what you have on...he's going to be excited to get you out of it!...a-hem...:rolleyes:

SOoooo....I think that you should go for the hose if you want to...

While there are always some general guidelines for fashion...more and more...what I am seeing is that if you like the way you look...then you are good to go...someone will criticize it and someone will LOVE it...your response to both will be determined by how you feel wearing what you are wearing...if you feel great and like the way you look...and think that your DH likes the way you look (since you seem to be wanting to dress to surprise your DH...and there's nothing wrong with that at all...I think the DH's like that and it can make them feel special when you want to look nice for them especially)...then shrug your shoulders at what anyone else thinks and have a great time!

If you do decide to black out the bottom of yourself...black dress...black hose...black shoes...then may I suggest that you have a bit of fun with your cover up? Explore different options and different colors...whatever looks best on you to you...whether it's a bolero OR some sort of silky, touchable wrap...I think that with the structure of the dress (which is nice for the girls LOL)...some sort of sexy, filmy shoulder thing would be a great contrast...and color would bring the eye up to your lovely face...

I think you are "wrong-o" on the no no hose with peep toes..

Well, I'm not "wrong-o", in the context of what I was talking about, so let's clarify the points...

Last year in Vogue magazine was a spread with Jennifer Lopez and some others wearing tights, hose,etc. with peep toes
Yes. They have featured this in fashion mags.

The fashion mags are in an arrangement to try to sell stockings for the diminishing hose industry, so they're trying to push it.

Jennifer Lopez a lovely as she is, commonly wears any fashion trend at the moment - especially the bad ones, so it's not wonder she jumped right on the hose with open toed shoes train...

BadFashionChoices.jpg

She's also jumped on the giant hair with huge hoop earrings trend, the sparkly head wraps trend, the really overdone poncho trend, and the spandex catsuit trend.

Doesn't make any of these actual good style...

And yes it is true, fashion mags and upscale catalogs have shown hose with peeptoe shoes.

In the same train of thought - just because a fashion mag or upscale catalog have shown something, that doesn't make is good style...

BadFashionTrends.jpg

Just like hose with peep toe shoes, harem pants and stirrup pants have been shown in fashion mags and upscale catalogs.

Doesn't make them an actual good looking style, just as mullets and sagging pants don't make good style either; even though all have been fashion "trends" at one point or another.

Here in FL when it gets COLD (like below 60 which it has here in Miami area the last few weeks) I see lots of women with tights, stockings, and peep toe shoes.

There is no hard and fast rule.

There is a rule when it comes to good design and good style...

If you actually understand the fact that open toed shoes were designed to be worn in warm weather. That is what they are made for...

If it is that cold out, then just wear some closed toe shoes that are actually designed, intended, and created for cold weather.

It's that simple.

Wearing hose with open toed shoes makes as much sense as this guy:

ConvertibleInSnow.jpg

If it's snowing out - don't drive a convertible with the top down!

You are so right on with that one..

I had to travel a lot for business to the upper midwest last month and bought hose, tights, etc. to wear with boots as I had to wear business skirt type suits. I was shocked to see how many varities of hose, tights, etc. were on the market, even in southern florida..

I told you, because the industry is trying to push the sales on you all...

one place I was at in Michigan a woman wore no hose with a dress and the rest of us did..honestly,she looked ridiculous to me...it's in the teens temperature wise and no hose..she stood out more in the crowd.
Because she wasn't following a trend?

Or because it was so cold out that you needed to wear hose?

If it was that cold, then you should have worn closed toed shoes as well...

I think the right hose can make the entire outfit look more "finished". It depends on what makes you feel beautiful. Even where I live if it's in the 60's (cool for here) it's not uncommon to see women wearing hose or tights..women of all ages.

Hose always gets a bad rap. There are no rules...you make the rules that work for you!

You're missing my entire point here...

I never said hose or tights were bad.

I think they are great and elegant, and can absolutely make an outfit look finished - just not with open toed shoes!

Oh and everyone, just so you know...

All of the fashion mags are going to be saying that Big Hair is coming back as well - so get out your hairspray and teasing combs!

BadFashionhair80s.jpg

If the fashion mags say it's fashion - then it must be a good look!

As long as there's no big toe seam, a peep-toe shoe is absolutely ok.

Wearing a formal dress with no pantyhose is, well...not-classy.

But I digress...to answer the OP...congrats and that is a gorgeous dress that has a style that work really well with back-seam hose. (in my opinion).

Back seam hose is normally a very sheer black hose, so as far as too much "black" you would be ok. BUT, if you haven't worn it before...it's a hateful creation to put on. Seriously...it's so darn difficult to get those seams straight. Especially if you are a little curvy.

Often I'd get them perfect, but after walking around, sitting all night, shifting around in your chair, by the time you leave dinner it looks like you have a pair of errant tire tracks on the back of your legs.

I think that dress would also lend itself well to a patterned hose if it's a quiet pattern.

Back-seam hose are NOT trashy, but if you are plus size I wouldn't do it. I've never seen any plus size woman be able to get the seams straight and keep them straight, and while they do look sexy in theory, black wrinkles all up the backs of your legs never made anybody look hot.

To be honest, I'm not plus size and I can't even keep them straight longer than an hour or two. I run to the bathroom every hour - it's not worth the paranoia.

Gathina...I understand what you're saying. I was taught that you didn't wear hose with an open toe shoe. And I've also seen lately in mags, that it is being done. I have to wear some kind of hose due to having some bad looking veins to try to conceal. I didn't mean to start a riot over hose :) As for the family picture, I've seen that before and it cracks me up each time!!! That poor kid!!! I never thought of the seam going squiggly on me...not "sexy" at all. Maybe I could still get them for a private date with my hubby. Thanks all.

Well, after my "hose shopping expedition" you'll see that there are a variety of textures and deneers to choose from...if you shop at a finer department store like Saks or Macys, bring the dress with you and ask the clerk for a recommendation on what texture, etc. would be best.

As an aside, it was a "colder" FL morning, in the 50's..and I did pay attention to notice quite a few women (all ages) with hose, tights, etc..and a few with..are you ready...PEEP TOE SHOES! LOL:)

Gathina...I understand what you're saying. I was taught that you didn't wear hose with an open toe shoe. And I've also seen lately in mags, that it is being done. I have to wear some kind of hose due to having some bad looking veins to try to conceal. I didn't mean to start a riot over hose :) As for the family picture, I've seen that before and it cracks me up each time!!! That poor kid!!! I never thought of the seam going squiggly on me...not "sexy" at all. Maybe I could still get them for a private date with my hubby. Thanks all.

To me, there is a difference between hose and tights. Hose is the traditional skintoned or black sheer option that one would wear with a close-toed pump. Hose seem to becoming less fashionable currently.

Tights are thicker or opaque, come in a variety of colors and textures and can be worn with almost anything -- even peep toe shoes! Anything goes with tights because they really funk up an outfit.

The women I see going to work seem to be favoring tights with their suits and dresses and pairing them with boots, booties, and open-toed as well as closed toe pumps.

As long as there's no big toe seam, a peep-toe shoe is absolutely ok.

Wearing a formal dress with no pantyhose is, well...not-classy.

How does one wear hose with a strappy sandal and a formal gown? How do you hide the seam at the toe? If the gown is long, who knows if you have your legs covered with "classy" hosiery?

How does one wear hose with a strappy sandal and a formal gown? How do you hide the seam at the toe? If the gown is long, who knows if you have your legs covered with "classy" hosiery?

If you purchase high-quality pantyhose, the foot is entirely seamless. I have seen some that have a reinforced heel, but no seams on the toe. Even cheap pantyhose have toe-less options for sandal wear.

It's certainly not about other's knowing you have "nice" hosiery on. It's the way it fits, the quality, and the wear you will receive from a higher quality pair of hose. Silk stockings, for instance, will look similar across the room. But you'll know the moment you put them on how different they are.

To wear hose with strappy sandals, you tuck the seam under the toes. Remember people, hose without reinforced toes are called "sandalfoot". I am old enough to remember when there was no question that one always wore hose with sandals. Then suddenly the fashion industry decided that only bare legs were acceptable regardless of the season. "Just because the fashion industry features it, doesn't mean it is good fashion".

Why don't I take my closed toe shoes on a cruise? For the simple reason, that sandals take up less room in my suitcase and weigh less.

Wear what makes you happy and what looks good on YOU!!

"Maybe I could still get them for a private date with my hubby."

This would definitely be my advice and what I would do (tried the seamed stockings years ago and they were a pain)

BUT and a big BUT (no pun intended) don't get pantyhose, get either the thigh high, real stockings with a garter or they make them with a lacy garter attached. Never met a man that thought pantyhose were sexy. JMHO

"Wearing a formal dress with no pantyhose is, well...not-classy."

I can't even begin to comment on this statement but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

CJW, always appreciate your perspective and well thought out advice

"Maybe I could still get them for a private date with my hubby."

"Wearing a formal dress with no pantyhose is, well...not-classy."

I can't even begin to comment on this statement but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Next time, could you do a favor and please include the member who quoted this... I don't know who you are quoting here. It's easy - you just click on "quote" in the corner and it will show who said it.

Thank you. :)

Archived