Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > British Isles/Western Europe

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

British Isles/Western Europe Amsterdam, Brugge, Dublin, Edinburgh, London (Dover, Harwich, Southampton)

Old August 8th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeloreanGirl View Post
Greenock is pretty simplistic. There's not much to do but it's a cute town filled with nice people. We didn't have any interest in Glasgow so we stayed in Greenock and walked around that day. It's an easy walk from the ship.

Here's my review of it with photos if that helps any....
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...&postcount=115
My husband & I will be on the Caribbean Princess TransAtlantic cruise at the end of August- stopping in Greenock on August 28. We opted not to take an organized tour here. Thanks for the info & photos of this port. Looking forward to exploring the town on our own!

S.S. Constitution-- Hawaii 2/1995 (7)
Celebrity Century-- Eastern Caribbean 5/1996 (7)
Celebrity Horizon-- Bermuda 7/1999 (7)
RCCL Splendour of Seas-- W. Mediterranean 5/2002 (7)
Golden Princess-B2B-- S. Caribbean 1/2005 (14)
Celebrity Galaxy-- Panama Canal 2/2006 (12)
Sapphire Princess-- N.Z./Aus. 2/2008 (12)
Ruby Princess-- Western Caribbean 2/2009 (7)
Grand Princess-- Scandinavia 7/2010 (7)
NCL Gem-- NYC-Caribbean 1/2011 (10)
Celebrity Millennium-- "TCM" Caribbean 12/2011 (4)
Caribbean Princess--TransAtlantic 8/2012 (14)
Celebrity Constellation--"TCM" Caribbean 1/2013 (5)
Disney Magic-- "TCM" Caribbean 12/2013 (5)
Disney Magic-- "TCM" Caribbean 10/2014 (5)

Old August 10th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Got tears in my eyes reading all the comments about Greenock, my wee home town, anyone got any questions just shout - and I will try my best to answer
Fred Olsen mini cruise June 2013
Thomson Dream Aug/Sept 2013
Thomson Majesty April 2014
Cruise Maritime mini cruise June 2014
Fred Olsen Baltics August 2014
Thomson Dream Nov 2014
Thomsons Celebrations Sept 2015

Old August 12th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
2. Train from Greenock to Wemyss bay (1/2 hour) and ferry to Rothesay (35 minutes) on the Isle of Bute (another scenic island). If you have time and it is open a bus meets the ferry to take you to Mount Stuart, the home of the Marquess of Bute, generally open in the summer to the public.
http://www.calmac.co.uk/timetables/s...y-rothesay.png

You cannot get a train direct from Greenock to Wemyss Bay. You would need to get a bus from Greenock town centre to Port Glasgow Station or a bus to Branchton Station - a taxi would be cheaper and cost under £20.00 ferry cost around £7 return fare
Thomson Dream Nov 2014

Old August 15th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wonderful!

We did the Princess Great Britian Cruise May 26, 2012. This port was
fabulous. From the moment we stepped off the ship and were offered a sip of Scotch; we felt that we were enveloped not only in the warmth of the whiskey, but in the collective arms of the people:
The gentleman who enlightened me about my clan, The McNeills of Barra.
The driver and informative guide on the FREE tour we took. They even dropped us off at a train station so that we could go into Glasgow. Glasgow was a big, modern city. Next time, I think I would stay at Greenock and enjoy the rest of their interesting bus tours, and shop in the town.
Finally, they sent us away with the bagpipes playing and the volunteers waving flags, and an inflatable mascot who was amusing and enthusiastic. It was so sad to leave. But, the sailaway was beautiful, with the sounds of the pipes still playing in our heads.

Future cruises - Southern Caribbean back to back San Juan - Jan 2015Celebrity Summit

1983 World Explorer SS Universe to Alaska - 14 day
1986 Costa Riviera
1988 NCL Skyward
1991 Premier Majestic
1992 Premier Majestic
2001 NCL Seaward
2004 RCI Sovereign of the Sea
2005 RCI Splendour of the Sea
2005 Celebrity Zenith - Christmas at Sea
2006 Caribbean Princess - Christmas at Sea
2007 NCL Pearl - Christmas at Sea
2008 NCL Jewel - Christmas at Sea
2009 RCI Radiance of the Sea - Alaska Cruisetour cruise
2009 Star Princess Sept. 23 - Oct. 24, 2009 San Francisco to Sydney
2010 NCL Pearl - Pacific Coastal
2010 HAL Amsterdam - 1 night to Seattle
2010 Caribbean Princess - New England/Canada
2011 Golden Princess - 14 day LA to Hawaii
2011 Celebrity Infinity - 10 day Alaska RT Seattle
2011 RCI Navigator of the Sea - 6 nite - circle Cuba
2012 Golden Princess - LA to Hawaii
2012 Caribbean Princess - 12 nite - British Isles
2013 - Vantage River Venture - Rhine and Mosel - 14 nite River cruise - with a 500-year flood
2013 - NCL Dawn - Back to Back: Boston to Quebec to Boston
2014 - Crown Princess - Caribbean Islands - 14 nite
2014 - Crown Princess - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise - 7 nite

Old August 20th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default To Atlasali

Loved your response to my question. We have scheduled an excursion for many hours..to see Edinburgh Castle, Royal Mile and Princess Street. We love to wander and relax..this tour will be from 7:30a.m until 5p.m. and our ship leaves port at 7pm.
Should we pass on the Edinburgh Castle? We are so confused..this is our first time.

Old August 20th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Loved your response to my question. We have scheduled an excursion for many hours..to see Edinburgh Castle..Royal Mile and Princess Street. We love to wander and relax but afraid to miss the castle. The tour will be from 7:30a.m - 5p.m. and the ship leaves port at 7pm. Should we pass on the castle? We are so confused..this is our first time.

Old August 20th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Greenock is also my home town, been really nice seeing all the ships coming and going the last few months. Gets me excited for my cruise in November!

To the last poster going to Edinburgh. It would depend how you were getting there? If going by train, I would allow 2.5 hours each way as you have to change station in Glasgow and Greenock West or Central train station is a taxi ride from the port. Much wiser to not have all that travelling and just stay in either Greenock or Glasgow. Maybe spend the morning in Glasgow and after lunch get the train down to Greenock for a wander.

Kris

Previous Cruises
MS Volendam December 2001
MS Rotterdam April 2004

Old August 20th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardch View Post
Loved your response to my question. We have scheduled an excursion for many hours..to see Edinburgh Castle, Royal Mile and Princess Street. We love to wander and relax..this tour will be from 7:30a.m until 5p.m. and our ship leaves port at 7pm.
Should we pass on the Edinburgh Castle? We are so confused..this is our first time.
It is a long way to Edinburgh from Greenock, on the other side of Scotland. Aren't you stopping there? We did. If not, then I would make the trek. (Just like we did a very long day from Le Havre to see Paris for the day.) Edinburgh is a beautiful city. I never saw a single bit of graffiti or even a tag. Perhaps workers head out at 4am to scrub off all ugliness, or perhaps the people of Edinburgh teach their children that it is wrong to vandalize buildings...I don't know; but I was very impressed. We are going back next May to spend more time in Edinburgh. I heard good comments about Holyrood Palace.

Future cruises - Southern Caribbean back to back San Juan - Jan 2015Celebrity Summit

1983 World Explorer SS Universe to Alaska - 14 day
1986 Costa Riviera
1988 NCL Skyward
1991 Premier Majestic
1992 Premier Majestic
2001 NCL Seaward
2004 RCI Sovereign of the Sea
2005 RCI Splendour of the Sea
2005 Celebrity Zenith - Christmas at Sea
2006 Caribbean Princess - Christmas at Sea
2007 NCL Pearl - Christmas at Sea
2008 NCL Jewel - Christmas at Sea
2009 RCI Radiance of the Sea - Alaska Cruisetour cruise
2009 Star Princess Sept. 23 - Oct. 24, 2009 San Francisco to Sydney
2010 NCL Pearl - Pacific Coastal
2010 HAL Amsterdam - 1 night to Seattle
2010 Caribbean Princess - New England/Canada
2011 Golden Princess - 14 day LA to Hawaii
2011 Celebrity Infinity - 10 day Alaska RT Seattle
2011 RCI Navigator of the Sea - 6 nite - circle Cuba
2012 Golden Princess - LA to Hawaii
2012 Caribbean Princess - 12 nite - British Isles
2013 - Vantage River Venture - Rhine and Mosel - 14 nite River cruise - with a 500-year flood
2013 - NCL Dawn - Back to Back: Boston to Quebec to Boston
2014 - Crown Princess - Caribbean Islands - 14 nite
2014 - Crown Princess - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise - 7 nite

Old March 21st, 2013, 05:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandlassie View Post
Got tears in my eyes reading all the comments about Greenock, my wee home town, anyone got any questions just shout - and I will try my best to answer
Hi Highlandlassie!

We would like to see Stirling Castle. Would it be better to rent a car or get a taxi from the cruise terminal. There are 4 of us and the ship's tour is very expensive and includes a stop that we would prefer not to see.

Thanks for your help!

Mel

Last edited by melody hounddog; March 21st, 2013 at 05:37 PM.

Old March 21st, 2013, 09:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default I day tour company from greenock pier to Edinbough

We would love to go to Edinbough. Has any used anyone or is there a group that is going . May /15. Queen Mary.
My husband and I wold love to join.

Our ship will be docked for 9 hours.

Is it possible?

Last edited by Hockeygirl123; March 21st, 2013 at 09:52 PM.

Old March 23rd, 2013, 03:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbig View Post
I haven't done it myself, but there are tours offered by locals and have been mentioned on here very favorably.

http://inverclydetouristgroup.co.uk/

There is a "Contact" section on that web site and I guess if you asked them that question, they would be glad to tell you.

Other than that, I wouldn't know. The town itself is pretty small.
We took a tour with this group in September, and I think it was the best tour of our entire trip. It's obvious that these volunteer guides love their city and want visitors to have the best experience possible. They are very knowledgeable; there wasn't a question that they couldn't answer in great detail.

You can book tours in advance which we didn't know so we were only able to get 2 spaces on one tour.
Sitmar 5 cruises, Royal Caribbean 6 cruises, Home Lines 1 cruise, Diamond Princess LA-Hawaii Jan. 17, 2008, Diamond Princess Alaska Southbound May 31, 2008, Ruby Princess Transatlantic/Med. April 18, 2009,
& Med. April 19, 2010, Celebrity Eclipse Transatlantic Oct. 31, 2010, Emerald Princess Transatlantic September, 2012, Grand Princess Hawaii April, 2013,
Emerald Princess January, 2014
Ruby Princess January, 2014
Ruby Princess March 15 & 20, 2014 B2B
Ruby Princess September, 2014 Transatlantic
JULY 19TH, 2014--40TH ANNIVERSARY OF MY FIRST CRUISE!

Old March 26th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody hounddog View Post
Hi Highlandlassie!

We would like to see Stirling Castle. Would it be better to rent a car or get a taxi from the cruise terminal. There are 4 of us and the ship's tour is very expensive and includes a stop that we would prefer not to see.

Thanks for your help!

Mel
Hi Mel

I have asked my BIL as he drives and also a taxi driver part time - what date will you be in greenock

BIL has just got back to me....

Taxi would be very expensive . Car hire is probably the best bet but there isn't any car hire firms in Greenock now, enterprise in linwood would probably pick them up at the terminal and then go to linwood to do the paper work
Thomson Dream Nov 2014

Last edited by highlandlassie; March 26th, 2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: to give update

Old March 26th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzG View Post
We took a tour with this group in September, and I think it was the best tour of our entire trip. It's obvious that these volunteer guides love their city and want visitors to have the best experience possible. They are very knowledgeable; there wasn't a question that they couldn't answer in great detail.

You can book tours in advance which we didn't know so we were only able to get 2 spaces on one tour.
A connection to my hubby is one of the volunteer, she said I can give her a call and go down one her one day - there is a waiting list for volunteers,
Thomson Dream Nov 2014

Old March 26th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Hi Mel

I have asked my BIL as he drives and also a taxi driver part time - what date will you be in greenock

BIL has just got back to me....

Taxi would be very expensive . Car hire is probably the best bet but there isn't any car hire firms in Greenock now, enterprise in linwood would probably pick them up at the terminal and then go to linwood to do the paper work
Thanks for checking with you BIL for me. Very nice of you. We will be therr in July.

I think we will just stick with the ships tour then.

Old March 26th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Hi highlandlassie,

Greetings from Australia! DH and I will be visiting Greenock in July, via cruise ship and we only have a day here. We visit Cobh first (one day), then Dublin, then finally Greenock.

It appears as if many people who have visited Greenock love it, so we are looking forward to seeing as much as possible.

DH would like to visit Glasgow, and we realise it is impossible to do it all, but we would love to hear your thoughts on us splitting our time between the two - Greenock and Glasgow. We would love to do Edinburgh, but once again, it is further away I think. So many choices, such little time!!

We prefer not to do ships tours, and have no problem travelling on trains, buses etc, but we need to determine how to best maximise our time. We love to walk too, as we are right into health and fitness.

Did I also mention that DH is rather partial to an odd pint or ten???? No wonder he is looking forward to Dublin and good old Guinness!!

Do you have a recommended local beer he could try??? Naturally I would have to force him, kicking and screaming into a local pub - nothing like getting to know the locals in their own pubs!!

Thank you for helping! It is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes
Nicki

Old March 28th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Roo-Zers View Post
Hi highlandlassie,

Greetings from Australia! DH and I will be visiting Greenock in July, via cruise ship and we only have a day here. We visit Cobh first (one day), then Dublin, then finally Greenock.

It appears as if many people who have visited Greenock love it, so we are looking forward to seeing as much as possible.

DH would like to visit Glasgow, and we realise it is impossible to do it all, but we would love to hear your thoughts on us splitting our time between the two - Greenock and Glasgow. We would love to do Edinburgh, but once again, it is further away I think. So many choices, such little time!!

We prefer not to do ships tours, and have no problem travelling on trains, buses etc, but we need to determine how to best maximise our time. We love to walk too, as we are right into health and fitness.

Did I also mention that DH is rather partial to an odd pint or ten???? No wonder he is looking forward to Dublin and good old Guinness!!

Do you have a recommended local beer he could try??? Naturally I would have to force him, kicking and screaming into a local pub - nothing like getting to know the locals in their own pubs!!

Thank you for helping! It is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes
Nicki
Hi Nicki

There is an information desk at the port terminal which is run by volunteers - who offer 3 free tours of Greenock, Gourock and I think Port Glasgow

Tennants lager would be the local for Scotland - we also have Fosters here as well.

You could try and do one of the free trips that Greenock offers, I think they last 1 1/2 hrs, they would be able to drop you off at the train station for Glasgow - fast train is around 50mins and the slow train is abt 1 hr 10 mins

I see you are in Queensland, I have family there - also the one time PM of Australia, Robert Menzies - his ancestors the Menzies were originally from Greenock/Port Glasgow. The Aust national anthem was written by the person who was originally from Port Glasgow

We offer guided coach tours around our local area, which we believe will make your day here interesting and enjoyable. Our friendly and relaxed tours are guided by volunteers who are all local people, who will be happy to answer any of your questions about the area. All our tours are guaranteed to return quayside in plenty of time for ship departure.

There are three different tours; each lasting under two hours, at different times from 09:15am onwards. Our tours are very popular, so to avoid disappointment call at our information centre or speak to any of our tartan clad volunteers on the quay and book a tour.

Greenock
Our ‘Glimpses of Greenock’ tour allows you to visit a 16th Century church and our Town Hall and shows you our fine views.

Gourock
On our Gourock tour you will hear tales of local history and see some grand coastal scenery.

Newark Castle/Port Glasgow
Going east, our Newark Castle tour takes you to a typical medieval castle and on the way tells you about our maritime heritage.
Thomson Dream Nov 2014

Old March 28th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Highlandlassie,

Many thanks for your detailed response, and the heads up on the local beer. DH will be impressed!!

We had planned to visit the local volunteers as we have read how good they are!

Where in Queensland do your relatives lives? We are on the Sunshine Coast, which is about 1 hour from Brisbane. Although we have had lots of rain, today it is really living up to its name. The weather has been crazy all over the world - we are back to Summer again and Europe and America have copped all the snow.

Thanks again and have a Happy Easter.

Nicki

Old March 29th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Nicki

my family live in Mackay Queensland

Mel - its quite possible you would be able to haggle with a taxi driver for a fixed price for your trip
Thomson Dream Nov 2014

Old March 30th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default car rental in greenock??

for highlandlassie. thanks for agreeing to respond to questions about greenock. on the "tripadvisor" web site, a person from greenock said that there is an avis rental agent in the Tontine Hotel in Greenock. do you know anything about that, perhsps old information?? we really want to get a car and do the "food and drink" festivals at loch lomand and inveraray on sept 14. thanks. marshall
Jan 2014 Caribbean Ruby Princess
Aug 2013 Baltic/TA Emerald Princess
Nov 2012 TA London/Miami Celebrity Constellation
Jan 2012 Columbia/Snake Rivers, Q of the West
Nov 2011 TA Malaga/San Juan Adventure of the Seas
Aug 2011 Bahamas, Monarch of the Seas
Aug 2011 Alaska Statendam
Oct 2010 Eastern Med Splendor of the Seas
Aug 2010 NE/Canada Celebrity Summit
Jan 2010 Amazon P&O Artemis
Oct 2009 Danube to Black Sea, R.Navigator (Vantage)
Apr 2009 Repo NO to Boston, Norwegian Spirit
Dec 2008 Mexico/Gulf Carnival Glory
Apr 2008 4 Continents TA Grand Princess
Dec 2007 Cape Horn/Antarctic Rotterdam
Aug 2007 Alabama Rivers, Delta Queen
Feb 2007 Mexico/Gulf from NO, Norwegian Sun
Oct 2006 Nashv/Memphis/Chatta Delta Queen
Jul 2006 St.Louis/St Paul Delta Queen
Dec 2005 Caribbean Oceania Regatta
Aug 2005 Alaska Norwegian Spirit
Jan 1998 Caribbean Song of Norway
Feb 1990 W. Caribbean Nieuw Amsterdam
Aug 1978 Iceland/North Sea Britannis (Chandris)
July 1977 TA Cherborg/New York QE II
August 1976 E. Med Azur (Paquet LIne)
Dec/Jan 70/71 Caribbean Hanseatic
June 1963 TASouthhampton/New York Hanseatic
August 1962 TA New York/Southhampton SS France

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

car rental Greenock
We will be in port here on the 28th of Sept. so far we have been unable to find any car hires that will be open for the day on Saturday, the Avis and the other local car hires both close around noon. We are still searching tho, hopefully something will work out!!