People mover in venice for those who have used it

cruisinisforme

I am looking for some advice on the people mover to the port.

How far of a walk is it with your luggage once you are dropped off?

Do you need to use an elevator? I ask because we are a group of 20 or so and do not know how long it will take. From the videos I can only see one elevator, are there more?

Any other advice you could give would be great. We are staying at hotel olimpia which is right by the piazzale roma so picking it up would not seem to be too much of a problem, but 20 people and a lot of luggage could make it more challenging.

Check with your cruise line to see if they're still running their free shuttle bus to the pier from the Piazzale Roma. RCI was running theirs last fall even after the PM was operational; don't know if they still are. We didn't even know there was a shuttle becuase it wasn't listed in any of the RCI literature. We just stumbled on it by chance. The cruise buses left from the corner near the Olimpia.

One comment I've heard about the PM is that it can be a bit of a walk depending on which berth your ship is using. This article might be helpful. There are a few pages (very short) so read them all.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover.htm

How far of a walk is it with your luggage once you are dropped off?

That would depend on where your ship is docked.

I can tell you we were on the Ruby Princess last October and it was at the berth closest to the People Mover stop and it was a bit of a walk. If you're embarking, you would need to first walk to the luggage building which itself is a good walk from the terminal.

So you would need to walk from the People Mover stop to the luggage drop building to the terminal.

We took a train from Rome to Maestre on embarkation day; then a taxi directly to the luggage building and walked to the terminal from there. I would do it that way again.

Do you need to use an elevator?
You don't have to use the elevator. I know there are escalators at the Piazzale Roma stop, but I can't remember whether there was an escalator or just stairs at the port stop. It's just one flight down to ground level...it shouldn't take long to get everyone down using the elevator.

Lew

We are at terminal 117 which is pretty far, personally I am more inclined to pay the money for the taxi to be taken right to the luggage terminal I think it will be a lot easier even if it costs a little more

I think that would be a good decision. You can drop off your luggage and continue on in the taxi to terminal 117.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

20110321-8emba7ba4q5dp9nq4tdpn35qu6.jpg

I have different prices regarding the taxi I think its up to you to make sure you get the price you want before you leave. I was told 5 euro pp, so if there are 4 in a taxi its 20 euros. I really am ok with paying a little extra to have to do a little less. We also have a couple of italian speaking people with us which is a great help when bargaining!

I can let you know for sure after we come back

I did a search on line today to get an idea of the distance, you wil find several good aerial maps showing where the PM is, where the luggage terminal is and where your terminal is. I also found on CC someone who took a picture from the ship to show the distance which looked far.

Our hotel is located in such a great spot, its right there where the cruise shuttle is, and if its full of busy the taxis are right there too. We would have to walk all the way across the piazzala roma with our luggage to get to the PM and then that distance from the PM to the luggage terminal..seems a lot easier for a few extra euros to just let them drop you at the door.

Janet - How much was the taxi? If you don't mind. We will be there in May at terminal #107. Is it really that far to pick up luggage that you need a taxi? Just trying to get my facts straight. Thanks!!

Terminal 107 is right at the luggage building. Not far to walk at all.

• 1 year later...

On this same theme (how far it is to walk to and from PM can anyone please tell me (I am new to this!) an easy way to find out where the ship is likely to dock. We are coming in on the MSC Armonia on the 11th May 2012.:rolleyes:

Can someone tell me how they found out which terminal they are going to be at? We will be on Splendour of the Seas in a couple week, but have no idea which terminal the ship will be at.

Thanks

Bill

Bill......my travel agent found out for us.

Wow, thanks. Looks like we will be at VE 18 at departure and VE 107 when we arrive back. :)

Have a great trip! We were on SOS in May 2010. Do you know if RCI is still running a free shuttle to the pier from Piazzale Roma. I had heard that the shuttles had all been discontinued as of this year.

Have a great trip! We were on SOS in May 2010. Do you know if RCI is still running a free shuttle to the pier from Piazzale Roma. I had heard that the shuttles had all been discontinued as of this year.

Thanks, I swear I have been spinning like a top for the past few week waiting for this trip to start.

If they are running the shuttle they have not advertised it. :rolleyes: We are staying at Hotel Olimpia and just plan on taking the People Mover to get to the ship.

Bill

Thanks, I swear I have been spinning like a top for the past few week waiting for this trip to start.

If they are running the shuttle they have not advertised it. :rolleyes: We are staying at Hotel Olimpia and just plan on taking the People Mover to get to the ship.

Bill

We are also staying the the Hotel Olimpia for two nights before our Med cruise in August. Also planning to use the people mover to get to cruise port. Please let us know how it all went.

Bill

RCI didn't provide any info on the shuttle in 2010 either. We just happened to spot several people with RCI bag tags; they were waiting for the next shuttle so we waited too. It's a good half hour between trips. The PMover is a great addition!

We had a wonderful departure from Venice. There were 3 ships all set to leave at 5pm and we ended up being last. When it was our turn, it turned to 6pm as we passed Venice so all the church bells started to ring. It really added to the magic. Have a great trip!

Archived