One More Reason To Dislike Relaxed Dining Room Etiquette

Just got off the Majesty and I was reminded of why I really dislike the relaxed dining room rules.

We had 6:00 seating, and on our first night everything was going pretty good until 7:10. Our waiter had just given us the desert menus, and a group of 6 came in and sat down at the table next to us. So now our waiter and assistant waiter had to scramble to get them menus, water, etc. This delayed us being able to give our orders. Right after we gave our desert orders, the late arrivals called the waiter over to give their main order. So now the waitstaff has to bring them their appetizers and drinks so they can start eating. The end result was our table having to wait 20 minutes extra to get our deserts, and all of us being late for the main show in the theater. These people came in late every night. I think the earlies they ever arrived was 6:20. An of course they showed up wearing shorts, t-shirts, and sandals. Even on the formal night.

The next day I went to the dining room entrance to look at the menu, and a girl was standing at the desk outside the door. I asked her if there was a deadline for getting in to be served, and she told me it was 6:45. So I let her know about the late arrivals, and how they messed up our evening, and she simply said "They have to be accomodated" with an "Oh well, I guess it sucks to be you" attitude.

The day after that I was at the guest relations desk to get some internet time, and the girl asked me if I was enjoying my cruise. I responded with "Most of it, yes. But Some of it, no" She immediately got a concerned look on her face and asked "Is there a problem with something?" So I told her about the late arriving people messing things up. Once again I got "They have to be accomodated." So I asked her why they had a 7:45 cut off for seating if they don't enforce it, and she simply said that have to be accomodated. She also lost her look of concern. Once again the "It sucks to be you" attitude. Every other cruise that I have been on, If you weren't seated by 6:30, you were NOT allowed in.

My sister, who normally sails Princess and was on her first RCCL sailing, swears she will never sail Royal again.

I,too,wish there was a cut off time when they close the doors.........I remember them doing that years ago,but now,"It's their vacation and they can do what they want" mentality......They(staff and crew) dont want to upset anyone......(never mind those of us who are inconvenienced)....

People that constantly show up late,should just do MTD.

Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of people out there with an attitude of "It's all about me, especially when I'm on vacation." No regard to others. Chair hogs on the pool deck, saving a good chunk of a row in the theater, etc. It's too bad about RCI not enforcing the rules in the dining room, especially with the options for MTD, Windjammer, and specialty restaurants. Dress codes (suggestions:rolleyes:), cut-off times for dinner, etc... If they're not going to enforce them, why bother to even mention them? Actually though, it's too bad that they'd even HAVE to enforce it... common courtesy/sense (which seems to be lacking today) should help people realize that rules do apply and need to be followed, even if they're on vacation... just my two cents...

It's not like that on all ships. The appropriate people to complain to would be the Head Waiter and the Maitre-d, emphasizing that you are dissatified with their service. They have the power/control to remedy the situation and should not meet your concerned with the "it sucks to be you attitude". They do not want negative comments from you on the comment card either.

I remember the days when the dining room doors were closed 15 minutes after dinner starts, and if you were late, too bad.

Sorry to hear of this insensitive group who directly affected your dining experience. But I'm actually more sorry for your sister who now has a bad taste in her mouth after having had this experience.

I understand your comments and concern, but what happened is that you let another group directly affect your experience in the DR. Their clothing bothered you? Anyway, perhaps it might have been prudent to have a word with the waiter and head waiter... I'm sure after the second time this happened, a few polite, chosen words might have alleviated any stress and frustration then and there and would have resulted in them shifting things around in order to finish accomodating your party.

Trust me, what happened in your dining room is the exception, not the rule. We have never witnessed a group come in so late, so as I said, it's not the norm. I'm sorry your sister doesn't see it that way and has written off an exceptional cruise line for a very small (IMO) and isolated reason. Believe me, the same thing could very well happen on Princess, who I'm sure, would accomodate the late group also.

This happened with us on the Majesty, we had a couple show up right as we were ordering desert (they actually ordered 2 appetizers and the Filet, so that would have added much more time if we had to wait). The waiters were good, they quietly asked us if we wanted to go ahead and get out deserts or wait. We opted to leave sooner and they didn't slow us down at all. I guess it just depends on your wait staff.

How do you know that they didn't sign up for My Time?

I am at restaurants were the waiters have to accommodate several tables all the time. So you got your dessert a little later. I dont get your attitude really. You know you are eating in a venue where there will be other people. You come across a bit snobbish to me. Just enjoy your vacation.

One cruise we did not like the people we were sitting with after the first 15 minutes of dinner. After dinner, we requested to be moved to the other side of the dining room. We were very happy with our new table mates. Another option so that people do not spoil your evening is to get a table for just the amount of people in your party.

I am at restaurants were the waiters have to accommodate several tables all the time. So you got your dessert a little later. I dont get your attitude really. You know you are eating in a venue where there will be other people. You come across a bit snobbish to me. Just enjoy your vacation.

The ships that I have been on do not mix regular dinner seatings and My Time Dining. There are few reasons for that. I totally agree with the OP that they should not have had to wait to complete their meal and miss part of the shows. The waiters could have had the late arrivals wait a few minutes while they were served desert.

Sounds like not that big of a deal to me. So dessert was a little late, I agree with RC, "they had to be accomodated" sounds to me like good customer service.

Desert being late made them late for the after dinner show, I'd be upset too. Seats can be hard to find, especially after the show starts.

Agreed!:)

How about dessert to go? Skipping and ordering room service later? I just dont know? We live in a world of other people, even inconsiderate people, and we think what we want always comes first, it is just a cause for conflict.

Next crusie you go on, let the crusie line know that your needs come first before all others in every way.

Sounds like not that big of a deal to me. So dessert was a little late, I agree with RC, "they had to be accomodated" sounds to me like good customer service.

I agree with struther1 - The waiter is obliged to give his/her service according the the Cruise line's policies and he/she actually HAS TO ACCOMODATE.

You have proposed a solution instead of simply complain.

I remember the days when the dining room doors were closed 15 minutes after dinner starts, and if you were late, too bad.

And, the only alternative to get food was room service which featured PB&J. No WJ back then. People managed to get to the dining room on time, every time (lol).

Lately on several of our cruises we have been inconvenienced with people arriving 1/2 to an hour late. Fortunately, we don't care about going to the shows so it doesn't impact us but the interruption in course servings has irritated us a little. We feel sorry for the waiter/assistant waiter particularly if it is an early seating where they have to get people out to set up for late seating. More than once, I've seen the table captain pitch in to serve and even bus the table.

Tucker in Texas

How about dessert to go? Skipping and ordering room service later? I just dont know? We live in a world of other people, even inconsiderate people, and we think what we want always comes first, it is just a cause for conflict.

Next crusie you go on, let the crusie line know that your needs come first before all others in every way.

A restaurant and the MDR of a cruise ship are two different things. The OP signed up for main seating, not my time dining. MTD is not mixed in with main seating, they are in separate areas so service is not disrupted.

It has nothing to do with the OP needs coming first. The late comers disrupted service for all the tables in their area and should not have been seated.

Your words seem pretty harsh to someone who followed the "rules" and was on time. Why you feel they should have had to do anything different than enjoy their regularly scheduled meal is beyond me. Maybe you are one of those people who show up late? :rolleyes:

A restaurant and the MDR of a cruise ship are two different things. The OP signed up for main seating, not my time dining. MTD is not mixed in with main seating, they are in separate areas so service is not disrupted.

It has nothing to do with the OP needs coming first. The late comers disrupted service for all the tables in their area and should not have been seated.

I agree, if the others wanted to dine at 7:00 then THEY are the ones that should have signed up for MTD. The OP did not and expected their dinner to be served on-time which it was not due to the incosidertion of the other party.

:confused:

Are you folks on the same page as the rest of us?:rolleyes:

Archived