Rant - Why does Carnival still go to Jamaica?

tekzilla

We are about to take our second trip on the Conquest in less then 2 weeks and we are pumped.

The only frustrating thing that I encounter is trying to find something to do in Montego Bay. It just seems like the worst possible port they could pick in Jamaica. There are limited things to do that do not involve 1+ hours of driving, everyone agrees that the place can be a little scary and you cant just wander off by foot from the terminal.

What gives? Are they contractually obligated to Jamaica in some way? From what I can tell the Conquest is really the only ship that still goes to Montego Bay.

We will be going on 10/1, our 7th time to Jamaica and love it. We have done several excursions, Dunn's river falls, my favorite excursion of all our cruises. We have rafted down two different rivers, gone to the beaches, went golfing. Other times we just went shopping with no problems, but we do make it a point to stay in the reccomended areas.. I understand many people feel threatened and I can appreciate their concern for their safety, just like I do sometimes when I visit some larger cities in the U.S. But to answer your question, Carnival still goes there becauses some people still enjoy the beauty of the island. HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT CRUISE.

I walked into montego bay twice, the last two times. decided to heck with people scaring you on CC.

I just came home from jamaica and we did dunns river falls and green grotto caves where 007 was filmed. came home hot and tired.

Im sorry you hate jamaica.. if nothing else Ill walk into montego bay again and jump on the internet at the internet cafe. its mostly right by the port you see pushy people. once you are out on the open roads you are fine.

lets not get carried away.

What gives? Are they contractually obligated to Jamaica in some way?

Yes, they probably signed a contract to use the port facilities there. That said, many people actually *want* to go to Jamaica. I feel the same way about Nassau and Freeport, but unfortunately for me a lot of ships go there. :D

I walked into montego bay twice, the last two times. decided to heck with people scaring you on CC.

I just came home from jamaica and we did dunns river falls and green grotto caves where 007 was filmed. came home hot and tired.

Im sorry you hate jamaica.. if nothing else Ill walk into montego bay again and jump on the internet at the internet cafe. its mostly right by the port you see pushy people. once you are out on the open roads you are fine.

lets not get carried away.

agree. jamaica seems to get a bad rap on here. spent a week in ochi at an ai and loved it so much considering trying negril next year. port areas are pushy, but i think some forget they are traveling to countries less fortunate than ours and most need money, badly. one of my fondest memories is of going into a parish with a local we hired to take us around the island, got out of the car and a child comes running up yelling, "mama, white people, come see". most of the ports aren't any worse than areas we find here in the USA.

We are about to take our second trip on the Conquest in less then 2 weeks and we are pumped.

The only frustrating thing that I encounter is trying to find something to do in Mont ego Bay. It just seems like the worst possible port they could pick in Jamaica. There are limited things to do that do not involve 1+ hours of driving, everyone agrees that the place can be a little scary and you cant just wander off by foot from the terminal.

What gives? Are they contractually obligated to Jamaica in some way? From what I can tell the Conquest is really the only ship that still goes to Mont ego Bay.

Personally, I love Montego Bay! It's actually my favorite port. Yes, there are limited things to do but that's the case in every port.

The Conquest is not the only Carnival ship that calls there. The Elation and the Ecstasy call there next month, in fact.

Yes, all cruise lines sign contracts with the ports they visit. Also, there are many things that have to be considered when a cruise line puts together itineraries including time and fuel. Can the ship make it to a given port without burning an excess amount of fuel and once in port is there sufficient time on shore to make it worth while.

:)

I'm pretty sure they're still going there b/c in 2005 when I tried to go their on the Conquest, we got diverted b/c of a hurricane. So I'm sure they're still doing just so I can see it. LMAO J/K seriously I'm happy to finally see it, gonna do the Dunn Rivers Fall and Dolphin Cove, so I hope it's not as bad as people say, I'm just gonna look for all the positives and fun I can find while there.

Personally, I love Montego Bay! It's actually my favorite port. Yes, there are limited things to do but that's the case in every port.

The Conquest is not the only Carnival ship that calls there. The Elation and the Ecstasy call there next month, in fact.

Yes, all cruise lines sign contracts with the ports they visit. Also, there are many things that have to be considered when a cruise line puts together itineraries including time and fuel. Can the ship make it to a given port without burning an excess amount of fuel and once in port is there sufficient time on shore to make it worth while.

:)

Mach, have you done the one I'm referring to?

Yes, they probably signed a contract to use the port facilities there. That said, many people actually *want* to go to Jamaica. I feel the same way about Nassau and Freeport, but unfortunately for me a lot of ships go there. :D

I agree with you Elmer. I am not a Jamaica fan and the only reason I get off the ship is to get a few pounds of coffee. We actually went to MBJ on our honeymoon many years ago. But we love Nassau, but mostly for land vacations. Everyone has ports they like and ports they don't like. Different strokes for different folks:).

We love Ocho Rios - but we are not fond of Montego Bay. That being said - we try to get the most out of each port we visit and we're visiting Ocho Rios next week on the Liberty and can't wait!! (p.s. we found the best prices on jewelry in Ocho Rios - maybe because most people think that St. Thomas is the best)

The only frustrating thing that I encounter is trying to find something to do in Montego Bay. It just seems like the worst possible port they could pick in Jamaica. There are limited things to do that do not involve 1+ hours of driving, everyone agrees that the place can be a little scary and you cant just wander off by foot from the terminal.

What gives? Are they contractually obligated to Jamaica in some way? From what I can tell the Conquest is really the only ship that still goes to Montego Bay.

RCL Grandeur of the Seas and MSC also dock at MB.

Jamaica is a beautiful country. It has beautiful mountains, gorgeous beaches and warm, friendly people. It grows the world's best coffee. It has AMAZING music. It has delicious food. (try some jerk chicken, bammy cakes, rice with peas, goat curry, meat patties ) It has a rich history. and a rich culture. Maybe some folks are afraid because the resident do not look like them???? Sure the little kids may comment about white people, the country is only 2% white. That's just kids. Don't be so easily offended. If you treat people with respect you will get respect in return. I have had a great time every time I have been there. Can't wait to go back. If you think the vendors are pushy, I ask, Have you ever been to an arab country?

Jamaica is a beautiful country. It has beautiful mountains, gorgeous beaches and warm, friendly people. It grows the world's best coffee. It has AMAZING music. It has delicious food. (try some jerk chicken, bammy cakes, rice with peas, goat curry, meat patties ) It has a rich history. and a rich culture. Maybe some folks are afraid because the resident do not look like them???? Sure the little kids may comment about white people, the country is only 2% white. That's just kids. Don't be so easily offended. If you treat people with respect you will get respect in return. I have had a great time every time I have been there. Can't wait to go back. If you think the vendors are pushy, I ask, Have you ever been to an arab country?

No doubt, the souks over in Dubai, I was amazed at how pushy they are! but I did lots of stuff so i sure wasn't offended

Depends on your experiance there! We booked a private tour guide who became a personal friend and we cannot wait until we can return!! I am sure if you have a bad time someplace you will be less likely to want to go back!!

I did not like Cozumel until I found things to do besides the tourist traps and bars!!

Archived