Main Dining Room Menus

Sure, here's the 7-night menu we had on Freedom.

Night 1:

Appetizers

Strawberry, Kiwi, and Pineapple Medley

Smoked Fish Tapenade

Vidalia Onion Tart

Sopa de Tortilla

Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup

Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho

Caesar Salad

Spinach Salad

Entrees

Pan-fried Pork Medallions

Truffled White Mushroom Linguini Alfredo

Slow-Roasted Prime Rib

Grilled Mediterranean Quesadilla

Pan-Seared Golden Sea Bass

Aloo Gobi Methi

Desserts

Strawberry Pavlova

Chocolate Cherry Cake

Savarin

Low-Fat Blueberry and Peach Cobbler

Sugar-Free Pot de Creme

Night 2 (First Formal Night):

Appetizers

Shaved Cantaloupe and Honeydew Melon

Shrimp Cocktail

Escargots Bourguignonne

Lobster Bisque

Oxtail Broth

Papaya and Pineapple Soup

Caesar Salad

Entrees

Filet of Beef

Shrimp Ravioli

Grilled Seafood Brochette

Roasted Duck

Sauteed Seasonal Mushrooms

Potato Curry

Desserts

Bittersweet Chocolate Souffle

Double Strawberry Cheesecake

Marinated Cherry Bake

Low-Fat Berry Mousse

Sugar-Free Coconut Vanilla Layer Cake

Night 3:

Appetizers

Roasted Butternut Squash and White Bean Salad

Crab Cake

Bresaola Carpaccio

New England Clam Chowder

Harira Soup

Green Gazpacho

Caesar Salad

Focaccia and Tomato Salad

Entrees

Beef Stroganoff

Conchiglioni Pasta

Pan-Seared Sole Fillets

Shrimp Gyoza

Slow-Roasted Double-Cut Pork Loin

Vegetable Vindaloo

Desserts

Berrymisu

Orange Chocolate Parfait

Sky High Lemon Meringue Tart

Low-Fat Cranberry Yogurt

Sugar-Free Coconut Custard Slice

Night 4:

Appetizers:

Summer Fruit Medley

Crab and Noodle Salad

Chicken and Cabbage Dumplings

Cream of Mushroom

Seafood Laksa

Guava and Banana Soup

Caesar Salad

Rainbow Salad

Entrees:

Surf and Turf

Lasagna Al Forno

Roasted Free-Range Chicken

Asian-Fried Tofu

Pan-Fried Basa Filet

Khoombi Bhonna

Desserts:

Passion-Berry Mousse

Banana Cream Pie

Coconut Creme Brulee

Low-Fat Mango Pudding

Sugar-Free Pineapple Parfait

Night 5:

Appetizers

Caprese Salad

Antipasti

Scallop Risotto

Creamy Roasted Garlic Soup

Minestrone

Strawberry Bisque

Caesar Salad

Insalata Mista

Entrees

Lamb Shank with Rosemary

Rigatoni Pasta

Garlic Tiger Shrimp

Chicken Marsala

Eggplant and Roma Tomato Bake

Kaju Paneer Dhansak

Desserts

Warm Chocolate Cake

Raspberry Panna Cotta

Tiramisu

Low-Fat Angel Food Cake

Sugar-Free Chocolate Mint Cake

Night 6 (Second Formal Night - this is the night we skipped in favor of Chops):

Appetizers

Eggplant and Kalamata Olive Tartare

Seafood Salad

Creamed Wild Mushrooms in Puff Pastry

Cream of Asparagus

Double Duck Consomme

Roasted Peach Soup

Caesar Salad

House Salad

Entrees

Thai BBQ Chicken Breast

New England Bay Scallops and Ziti

Fisherman's Plate

Slow-Roasted Aged Prime Rib

Greek-Style Vegetable Moussaka

Kabuli Chana

Desserts

Dessert Sampler

Cherries Jubilee

Low-Fat Double Passion Fruit Cheesecake

Sugar-Free Red Berry Tart

Night 7:

Appetizers

Moroccan-Spiced Chicken Salad

Shrimp Cocktail

Spinach Dip

Cream of Pumpkin

Onion Soup

Chilled Raspberry and Pineapple Soup

Caesar Salad

Entrees

Shrimp and Mahi Mahi Tempura

Potato Gnocchi

Roasted Turkey

Grilled NY Strip Steak

Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Calzone

Paneer Makhani

Desserts

Chocolate Brownie Sandwich

Key Lime Pie

Banana and Crunchy Nut Parfait

Low-Fat Apple Cake

Sugar-Free Key Lime Pie

We just returned from 7 days on LOS. We never ate in the MDR. You get the same food, more selection, a ocean view window seat (for the entire evening if desired), "my-time" dining without the extra cost and no annoying people with whom you are forced to chat it up with, in Windjammers.

We did not eat at Chops, but did dine at Portofino one evening. Although the restaurant was empty... this "advantage" to the cook staff did not inprove their dishes. My entree was horrible; I ate none. We skipped desert altogether.

Thanks garnetpalmetto. Just the information I was looking for! We enjoy eating in the main dining room as we have, for the most part, always had nice tablemates and enjoy the conversation each evening.

Agreed wholeheartedly! DW and I love traditional dining in the MDR. I understand it's not for everyone but we're the type of people that like chatting it up with people we otherwise wouldn't come across - one of the reasons we prefer B&Bs to traditional hotels.

By the way, the one note I would make is that if you're a lobster fan, the Fisherman's Plate is the lobster entree. Surf and Turf on Night 4 was steak and shrimp.

We just returned from 7 days on LOS. We never ate in the MDR. You get the same food, more selection, a ocean view window seat (for the entire evening if desired), "my-time" dining without the extra cost and no annoying people with whom you are forced to chat it up with, in Windjammers.

We did not eat at Chops, but did dine at Portofino one evening. Although the restaurant was empty... this "advantage" to the cook staff did not inprove their dishes. My entree was horrible; I ate none. We skipped desert altogether.

Just to clear things up. You do not get everything in the Windjammer that is offered in the MDR. They do offer a good selection but it's not the full menu that is being served downstairs. Also, this should not cost you less than eating in the MDR as those working in the Windjammer should be tipped also.

Just to clear things up. You do not get everything in the Windjammer that is offered in the MDR. They do offer a good selection but it's not the full menu that is being served downstairs. Also, this should not cost you less than eating in the MDR as those working in the Windjammer should be tipped also.

Not to mention - you have to get your own food and wait in line and find a table. One of the things I enjoy while cruising is being served.

Night 6 (Second Formal Night - this is the night we skipped in favor of Chops):

You skipped lobster night???

Anyhow, the nights might change. The Fisherman's Plate and Prime Rib is usually the 2nd formal night, but that might be night 5 or night 6 depending on your cruise. Best bet would be to go to the dining room when you board (not open for eating but open for assistance). They can tell you when the 2nd formal night is.

You skipped lobster night???

Anyhow, the nights might change. The Fisherman's Plate and Prime Rib is usually the 2nd formal night, but that might be night 5 or night 6 depending on your cruise. Best bet would be to go to the dining room when you board (not open for eating but open for assistance). They can tell you when the 2nd formal night is.

I did indeed skip lobster night. I'm not much of a seafood fan (partially because I'm allergic to shellfish) and DW isn't a lobster fan.

Good point about the nights changing to my knowledge the only hard and fast rule is that Night 2 is the first formal night and the menu on the first night seems to usually be pretty consistent and that's exactly what we did about finding out when the second formal night was. The first night we asked our waiter and immediately after dinner we went ahead and made our reservation for Chops.

As for finding out the menu on a day-by-day basis, on a ship with the interactive kiosks, you can look up the menu each day and on a ship without this feature, the menu is posted outside the MDR. DW and I usually checked each morning to adequately pre-plan for dinner! :D

Thanks garnetpalmetto. Just the information I was looking for! We enjoy eating in the main dining room as we have, for the most part, always had nice tablemates and enjoy the conversation each evening.

Yes, Thx Garnetpalmetto....my wife loves to have the menu ahead of time so she can take her time to decide what she wants....lol And Suncruiser....we'll see u on the boat!!!! Maybe the same table. :)

Yes, Thx Garnetpalmetto....my wife loves to have the menu ahead of time so she can take her time to decide what she wants....lol And Suncruiser....we'll see u on the boat!!!! Maybe the same table. :)

Looking forward to it - now down almost to single digits - so excited!! We are going to go to Chops on the 3rd night - that menu has the least appeal to both of us. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Looking forward to it - now down almost to single digits - so excited!! We are going to go to Chops on the 3rd night - that menu has the least appeal to both of us. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

I can't blame you in the least there. That was the menu I ended up ordering a grilled chicken breast off the vitality menu. None of the entrees really appealed to me. The harira soup was delicious and had a great spice mix to it, DW had the sole and said it was very good, too. Still, none of the entrees really set me on fire that night. Now the sambal oelek that our waiter gave me to jazz up the chicken - that set me on fire!

• 2 months later...

I realize everyone's taste in food is different but don't underestimate the 3rd night menu. I like Chops a lot but I hope you are not going there just to avoid the mdr menu. The crab cakes, clam chowder, shrimp gyoza and lemon meringue tart were all terrific. I ordered the gyoza as an appetizer portion. They were great. For the main course I ordered the salmon from the "always available" section and it was great. I always want to have salmon so I'm glad when there's an evening when the special entrees don't excite me.

I am curious.

Did you tip your assigned MDR waiter and assistant waiter at all?

um, probably not since he didn't eat in the mdr at all.....personally love the mdr as we don't get to go out often at home.....I can't wait for the chilled soups they are my faves, and I am also allergic to shellfish, just crustaceans, but it limits the choices some.....better grab an epi pen just in case ;) not particularily interested in spending more to eat in a specialty venue.....

naw, just gotta convince yourself that there will be more food out in a couple of hours, so far I have actually lost weight on my cruises....which is not a bad thing what so ever........I most enjoy not having to cook for a week.....that always puts me in a better mood....

naw, just gotta convince yourself that there will be more food out in a couple of hours, so far I have actually lost weight on my cruises....which is not a bad thing what so ever........I most enjoy not having to cook for a week.....that always puts me in a better mood....

A couple of hours? Are you for real? The only time I have to wait a couple of hours to eat again is when I'm sleeping. ;)

Archived