When prices go down before final payment

davwen81

Just wondering what happens if prices go down before your final

payment. Does Azamara pass on these savings in prices to passengers who

booked early??

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Davwen,

In the USA, you could obtain the price drop, but it's not automatic. It would be ideal to keep checking your pricing, and contact your Travel Agent or Azamara (if you booked directly) to request the price drop.

However, I noticed you are from Australia, so I'm not certain if the policies are different in your region. I suggest contacting your Travel Agent or Azamara directly.

Here's a link to Azamara's "Contact Us" Page, for email addresses and phone numbers : http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/contact-us . I hope this helps. Enjoy your Cruise !

Davwen 81.....My enquiry via TA was a big zero...hope you have better luck but these Oz specials are ,I believe, an effort to entice a few late starters into the remaining staterooms.....doubt they will want to offer any bonus to us early starters....but I;ll watch your progress with interest.

What cruise are you on?

Popey

Azamara Singapore ..Hongkong 01/02/12.

I had Azamara drop the prices twice on a cruise we were booked on, before final payment. My TA just canceled our booking and re-booked at the lower rate, twice. No problem either time. But we're from California and I don't know the "rules" for Down Under.

I had Azamara drop the prices twice on a cruise we were booked on, before final payment. My TA just canceled our booking and re-booked at the lower rate, twice. No problem either time. But we're from California and I don't know the "rules" for Down Under.

Have been told by a TA I know and trust well that many of the cruiselines "do not afford us the opportunity to cancel and re-book in Australia" that's why many of us book with US agents and now some of the cruiselines are preventing that. Cruise Critic did a very interesting survey on this subject a year or so ago. We definitely are treated differently Down Under!!

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. So far have sent an email to UK office who sent it on to Royal Caribbean in Sydney, with the handy reminder that it may take up to 28 days to respond, well past our pay date in early December! However, have also emailed my TA so she may come back with something, but if not, so be it. I only looked at the Azamara site, not at any specials offered, thats why I am keen to see if they honour this price drop as it is offered on their website. :)

We definitely are treated differently Down Under!!

I couldn't agree more.

While the UK residents have been able to secure better service Austraian cruisers are still poorly served with long delays in getting responses from Royal Caribbean. In this day of electronic communications, it seems amazing the length of time some replies take.

Generally there are no air fare specials, but recently there was an offer, but on the cruise we were interested in (Singapore to Mumbai, April 2012), it was only possible to fly in and fly out on the day of departure/docking at destination, a very risky undertaking in these days of strikes, ash clouds etc, and certainly not conducive to leisurely travel or sightseeing.

As the Australian market for Azamara and cruising in general, is strong and growing, it would seem like a good idea to make us feel more than second class passengers in the service we receive.

Cheers,

Sue

In the USA, you could obtain the price drop, but it's not automatic.

Even that is not always true. In 2010, we booked our Iceland voyage (already completed this August). After we booked, there was a period when Azamara offered a $500 shipboard credit to "new bookings only" for a limited time. Since we were previously booked, they refused to give us the same treatment, even if we were to cancel and rebook. So the policy was, you already booked, so it was not a new booking, so no credit for you who booked too early!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1482473

Even that is not always true. In 2010, we booked our Iceland voyage (already completed this August). After we booked, there was a period when Azamara offered a $500 shipboard credit to "new bookings only" for a limited time. Since we were previously booked, they refused to give us the same treatment, even if we were to cancel and rebook. So the policy was, you already booked, so it was not a new booking, so no credit for you who booked too early!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1482473

I still can't believe you never received that $500.00 OBC (shame on Azamara). We booked the same time as you, were originally on the same voyage, and were able to get the $500.00 OBC. It was for bookings made by December 31, 2010 but went into effect if I recall a month or so after the itineraries came out. We ended up changing itineraries and we did give up the $500.00 OBC in order to take advantage of the reduced rate (and Veranda for the price of an OV promotion) when Egypt was canceled on our cruise this year. In our case we thought that was fair (could not have the 2010 promo and the 2011 promo) and agreed to give up the OBC. We also received $500.00 OBC when Egypt was canceled the first time (we switch to another voyage later in the year when Eqypt was canceled again).

I couldn't agree more.

While the UK residents have been able to secure better service Austraian cruisers are still poorly served with long delays in getting responses from Royal Caribbean. In this day of electronic communications, it seems amazing the length of time some replies take.

Generally there are no air fare specials, but recently there was an offer, but on the cruise we were interested in (Singapore to Mumbai, April 2012), it was only possible to fly in and fly out on the day of departure/docking at destination, a very risky undertaking in these days of strikes, ash clouds etc, and certainly not conducive to leisurely travel or sightseeing.

As the Australian market for Azamara and cruising in general, is strong and growing, it would seem like a good idea to make us feel more than second class passengers in the service we receive.

Cheers,

Sue

Hello Spw1947 and Westaussie –

I’ve forwarded your candid comments about the service shortfalls you’ve experienced in dealing with the Sydney office to its management team.

As you both mentioned, we realize the importance of our Australian Azamara followers and very much appreciate the growing number of guests who have vacationed with us because of their confidence in our exceptional onboard experience.

It is our goal to provide a seamless shipboard and shoreside experience and I ask for your patience as we address the shoreside operational issues.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

We ended up paying full fare. We did get 2 x 150 minutes of (rather slow speed) internet time. We didn't know whether that was for everybody or just for us?

We had the free minutes too. It is a past passengers benefit. I think you said this was your first time on Azamara, but did you have status from RCCL or Celebrity? You would have needed 5 points (on Celebrity/Azamara) to get the 150 internet minutes each.

Hello Spw1947 and Westaussie –

I’ve forwarded your candid comments about the service shortfalls you’ve experienced in dealing with the Sydney office to its management team.

As you both mentioned, we realize the importance of our Australian Azamara followers and very much appreciate the growing number of guests who have vacationed with us because of their confidence in our exceptional onboard experience.

It is our goal to provide a seamless shipboard and shoreside experience and I ask for your patience as we address the shoreside operational issues.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hi Bill, glad to hear you are aware of these issues. We have been told in a reply from Royal Caribbean Australia as we booked through a travel agent we have to talk to them, as RRCL could not help us! So we are no further forward as my TA tells me Azamara(RRCL in Australia) does not allow ANY changes once ticketed whether we have made final payment or not. And we would incur penalties and lost deposits also. We are between a rock and a hard place! Be really interested to hear what happens for us and our fellow British Azamara guests, as we are not treated the same as in the USA by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks for looking into this for all of us. David and Wendy Adams (Azamara Quest 29 Feb 2012):)

Just canned a cruise with Seabourn and forfeited the deposit because they dropped the price by 25% but wouldn't budge the price for UK customers who displayed loyalty and trust and booked early. Was thinking of swapping to Azamara for a b-t-b Mumbai to Athens in 2012 on Quest. Because of what I have read here I am now I'm having doubts.

I chided Seabourn that they should listen to their CC customers and have their own Bill Leiber. As Bill well knows I have said in the past that he is a marketing gimmick. Whether that statement remains true or not - and I am mellowing in my view - he is still an asset that Seabourn doesn't have.

Balloon Man and davewen81: If you are a Seabourn regular or live in Australia, perhaps you can consider Silversea. From what we know, Silversea is less "differentiating" against non-American customers than many other lines. They have corporate offices in Europe and Australia. Check them out to see what you can get in your geographic locations.

I called Celebrity and they were firm in that no refund would be offered as it is outside 48 hours of the final payment date (per terms of their "best price guarantee"). They did offer (and I accepted) an OBC of $1200 (combined with a $250 OBC for a summer special on the same cruise I have $1450 to spend during the week). So on one side a nice perk of a very big OBC, but I still cringe at the premium.

Just thought I would share with others this little piece off the Celebrity Board. No price drop but a lovely OBC of $1200. Wouldnt that be wonderful!!! Can only hope Azamara follows suit!:)

I just got an e mail from Azamara with a significant reduction in my cruise New York to Rouen. I booked on board my last cruise for $2199 for a veranda cabin, now I can book a Oceanview with free upgrade to veranda for $1799. Darn sure we will cancel tomorrow and rebook .

There should be some sort of guaranteed lowest rate for us faithful cruisers.

We too hope to take advantage of the 2012 sailing special just emailed to us. Have sent an email to TA to see if she can get it for us. Didn't see if it said for new bookings only so hopefully we can take advantage of it without having to cancel and rebook.

I just got an e mail from Azamara with a significant reduction in my cruise New York to Rouen. I booked on board my last cruise for $2199 for a veranda cabin, now I can book a Oceanview with free upgrade to veranda for $1799. Darn sure we will cancel tomorrow and rebook .

There should be some sort of guaranteed lowest rate for us faithful cruisers.

Hello to you all –

In my past cruise line experience, this issue of price protection has always presented a very difficult situation to explain for both the guests who booked early or while on board as well as for the cruise line operator who found it necessary to introduce a reduced price promotional offer to stimulate more new business for voyages that are trending behind meeting their specific revenue target.

At this point in time these offers are limited only to new bookings. Protecting guests who have booked early represents a significant revenue dilution for each voyage. At the same time, your point is well-taken about disadvantaging loyal guests who have expressed their loyalty to Azamara by booking their next cruise and applying the offers that were in place at that time.

I am passing on this conundrum to our revenue management team to bring them into the loop about your opinions.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

There is one more point to consider. When potential customers learn that it may be counterproductive to book early, many will try to book late. That will make the given voyage even more under-target in sales until the last minute. So even steeper discounts will have to be offered, lowering the overall revenue more. Also, the entire booking expectation as a function of time "curve" will get warped, making future predictions even more difficult.

There is one more point to consider. When potential customers learn that it may be counterproductive to book early, many will try to book late. That will make the given voyage even more under-target in sales until the last minute. So even steeper discounts will have to be offered, lowering the overall revenue more. Also, the entire booking expectation as a function of time "curve" will get warped, making future predictions even more difficult.

Maybe there's a middle ground, where already booked guests get some portion of the price reduction? Or at least double cruiser points--- something valuable enough to encourage the earlier booking. I sort of agree that the interaction of discounts between customers, TAs, and AZ is complex, and subject to (among other things) the expectations on each side.

Yes DocSKR, quite agree with you. We booked early to get a particular cabin, so we have no beef with paying more, but some sort of incentive to maintain early bookings when if you wait significant discounts apply (in US done without any problems, not in Australia) would be really appreciated.Good points everyone and thanks for letting me know your opinions and experiences. :)

Hello to you all –

In my past cruise line experience, this issue of price protection has always presented a very difficult situation to explain for both the guests who booked early or while on board as well as for the cruise line operator who found it necessary to introduce a reduced price promotional offer to stimulate more new business for voyages that are trending behind meeting their specific revenue target.

At this point in time these offers are limited only to new bookings. Protecting guests who have booked early represents a significant revenue dilution for each voyage. At the same time, your point is well-taken about disadvantaging loyal guests who have expressed their loyalty to Azamara by booking their next cruise and applying the offers that were in place at that time.

I am passing on this conundrum to our revenue management team to bring them into the loop about your opinions.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello to you all –

I have received clarification from our revenue management team in Miami about the issue of “price protection” for reservations already booked. I just learned that there are actually two types of pricing promotions that are introduced into the marketplace from time-to-time to stimulate new business – one allows eligibility for previously booked guests while the other is restricted to only “new bookings.”

Therein is the source for misunderstanding and the conflicting comments throughout this thread.

1. General pricing promotions – Previously booked guests are eligible to benefit for the new offer provided they contact reservations to make the adjustment as long as they meet the requirements of the promotion. It’s not automatic and as Andy suggested it makes sense to keep checking the pricing of your voyage. The recently introduced “2012 Europe Program” promotion (valid between December 5, 2011 and March 31, 2012) is an example.

2. Three-day tactical “Sales” – This promotion category is strictly for new bookings only and usually is restricted to specific voyages for a limited time that are below target.

Most importantly, I thank all of you for expressing your conflicting opinions and outcomes about the issue of “price protection.” I believe that if it were not for the fact that I shared this thread with our revenue management team in Miami, I’m not sure that I would have understood this distinction. I’m sorry for the incorrect information, in my earlier post.

To those of you in Australia, I am working on this specific issue and will respond when I have a response that has been approved by management in Australia and Miami. I ask for your continued patience.

Thank you for your loyalty to Azamara Club Cruises.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Archived