Mariner 1/8/12 boring review.. no pictures!

BonTXNY

A few stats. DH and I sailed with friends from NY and some great CC friends we met on the Voyager last year. We made Platinum this cruise. Yea!

So, here goes: We're back from our Mariner cruise. What stories I have to tell! Delayed departure due to fog, Captain announced norovirus, MSC Poesia rammed into the cement dock leaving Falmouth, etc., etc.

We arrived in Galveston Sat. and had a wonderful dinner with CC friends at Casey's Seafood Cafe. Woke up Sun. morning to thick pea soup fog :eek: I just KNEW there would be a delay and I was correct. We were told via email, phone calls to NOT check in at the port until 3pm. We called RCI since we weren't home and were told the same. When we found out we could check in our luggage at approx. noon we grabbed a cab and got to a port empty of any cruise ships. How bizarre for a Sunday afternoon! We were able to check our luggage and meander around the Strand. Had a really good lunch at a Meditteranean restaurant. We went back to the port at approx. 2pm. By this time both the Magic and Mariner were docked. We waited and were called to line up at 4pm. The line was very slow moving and it took 2 hours until we were actually on board.

We were able to smuggle... errr.. creatively have our 9 cans of soda and 8 bottles of water glide thru the x-ray machine undetected. I think RCI personnel felt sorry for us after our "ordeal" and weren't as vigilant as in the past, but then again we didn't have booze.

Dinner was Windjammer or open seating in the MDR. Prime Rib was very tasty but after our long wait bread and water would have tasted just as good.

First let me say that the weather was picture perfect in Galveston. We enjoyed our walk on the Strand and getting to know some really great fellow cruisers while we waited to board. We each received $20 OBC. We sailed at approx. 8pm and this was the first cruise we didn't watch sail away up close and outdoors. We were busy in the MDR having dinner :rolleyes:

Now for the norovirus. Captain Per announced, I think the 2nd day that "some" passengers contracted the virus and we all should wash, wash, wash our hands thoroughly. Purell stations were evident all over the ship. Nobody we knew got ill and I saw no stickers on cabin doors indicating quarantine.

Now for the MSC mishap. I was on our balcony watching the Poesia sail away. It looked awfully close to the dock and to US. It didn't look like it was going to clear the front of the Mariner or the dock. I happened to glance away for a second and heard a LOUD noise. The Poesia sort of stopped moving and then continued on. I got cold and went inside never noticing the damage to both the dock AND the Poesia. Someone is gonna have to pay big time for that dock damage :eek:

I rambled enough for now. More to come tomorrow about the food, the entertainment, the artwork around the ship, etc. etc. I have to slowly re-enter the real world :(

I don't mean to hijack this thread but we are also just back from the 1/8 sailing on Mariner. We are the lucky passengers who got to endure our 2nd fog delay in Galveston in 3 years...the first time was the same week in 2009 on the Voyager out of Galveston. This time we were prepared. We got a text message/phone calls about 12 pm from RCI that the Mariner boarding would be delayed and not to come back to the pier until 6 pm. The pier ppl were saying 3 pm. We left, went to the seawall, had lunch and drinks and thorougly enjoyed our afternoon. We headed back to park at EZ Cruise at 4pm. Took about 30 minutes to get into the parking lot. We were in a VERY LONG line to board the ship...finally got on at 7 pm. Passengers were very patient. We were told that dinner was open seating...but then were told the muster drill was at 7:45. We finally got to eat in the dining room at 8:30 pm. The rest of the cruise was absolutely wonderful...ports, weather, the ship, activities, entertainment! I love the Mariner..would go back on her in a minute. I dreaded the disembarkation but it was the fastest and smoothest ever! We did have two "minor situations" (Jamaica speak) onboard with rude passengers..one was drunk and the other was "abusive"..his wife had to apologize to me and used that word.

Our other pre-cruise concern was about my 23 yr old daughter who was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease and has to be gluten free (no wheat). They catered to her like a queen. I will write more about that on another thread as this a big concern for Celiacs.

The MSC Poesia left one hour before us and on its departure the rear of the ship collided with the dock and left damage to the concrete dock and side of ship. The contact with the dock left a gash about 15 feet long and 4 inches deep. The MSC Poesia continued out of port and ran over a stationary orange buoy and destroyed and sank it. Could not tell if hull was damaged but the MSC Poesia continued cruising to next port.

Back on the 9th, the Poesia ran aground on a reef in the Bahamas. Luckily it did not tip over and the tide and tugboats freed it; however, it severely damaged the reef. Why a ship needing 26 feet was in 15 feet of water is beyond me. Its captain must have trained in the same place as that of the Costa Concordia (MSC is an Italian line).

I'll never be sailing on THAT ship.

I've started writing my review and I think I'll start a thread and post it in increments with some photos.

Back to my review. Now for the food. Oh yes, Wolfie, I had the tutti salad BUT was very disappointed that there were fewer choices of salad "fixins". Last sea day they ran out of asparagus,turkey and a few other items.

Our dining room waiter, Roberto and his assistant Appuda (I think that was his name) were attentive and always gave us great advice. Service was what we have come to expect; wonderful. Did I mention what a cutie Roberto is? With dimples yet!

Now for the whining and complaining. All 6 of us at our dinner table thought the food was a bit "off" and not as good as we had on the Voyager last year. No rack of lamb unless I missed it. There was usually only one cake selection and the rest was custard, ice cream, mousse. Steak was dry and very bland. Beef stroganoff was served without noodles and the beef was cut in thin slivers of meat mixed in with some slivers of red stuff. Stuffed mushrooms were thick slices of mushrooms with something red on top, maybe the same red stuff served with the beef stroganoff. No stuffing. Get the picture??? Of course there will be folks who will say they loved the food BUT this is my cruise review so this is my opinion. :D We didn't walk away hungry but there were times that not one dessert selection enticed me and that's saying alot!

We only had breakfast in the windjammer the last day before we got thrown off the ship. Breakfast in the MDR continues to be our choice.

Sandwiches and pastries in the Promenade Cafe were actually quite good and that's where we liked to hang out for a late night snack.

This post is getting way too long. More to follow....

More boring review with no pictures...

Now for the entertainment. I liked our CD Paul Rutter very much. Older, more "elegant", not in your face fake and screaming. Ran a very funny Love and Marriage Game. My team won the Quest but without our participation since seating in Studio B isn't as intimate as it would be in one of the lounges. I had to leave the pool area once because the guy on the CD staff who was running the line dancing instruction (Flavio, I think) was shouting, screaming and was becoming irritating. He was always "on" and seemed to be very insincere. Again, my review, my opinion. Two production shows, ok but not professional enough for my taste. Two comedians different nights. Merrill Osmond of the Osmond Bros was a headliner one night. Never was a fan but it was nice to see the retrospective of the Osmond family on the screen while he was performing. Touching actually to see how they've all grown. Music very poignant. Ok, so I got sappy, it happens.

In Cozumel we hung out at Paradise Beach, didn't want to go back to the ship. It lives up to its name. Beautiful pool and chairs were only $2. Expectation is that you spend $10 in food and drink, very reasonable.

Grand Cayman; took a lame glass bottom boat and spun around in a circle passing over the same shipwreck ad nauseum. No promised colorful fish, no beautiful reef. This was done in between the dock and the anchored ships so you can get an idea of how "far" we sailed out. We were then herded onto buses for the 2nd half of the island tour, very chaotic. Our excursion tickets were turned in when we boarded the glass bottom boat. NOBODY knew who was supposed to go.. where. One lady was shoved into the glass bottom boat when she had a ticket for the jolly roger trolley. When she exited she was told to board the bus for the 2nd half of the tour. She didn't understand what happened to her tour, the one she paid for, the one she expected to get on. I told her to relax and enjoy the tour which she did. They need a better system. Tour operators were gruff, insensitive and plain NOT helpful. Once back on board we complained, we were compensated.

Falmouth, Jamaica was a big surprise. None of the vendors were in our faces. All were friendly, no harrassment. We had a totally different experience in Ocho Rios a few years ago. Most of the vendors there were touchy feely and we were pleasantly surprised this was not the case in Falmouth. We took a short approx. 40 min tram ride thru the town outside the port complex. Very interesting to see a hospital, school, Jewish cemetery and typical neighborhood.

Weather except for the last sea day was picture perfect.

Ship looks beautiful.

Can't end this post without telling you what a great roll call we had. Had a fun slot pull, cabin crawl, wonderful Sat. night pre cruise dinner. We had the BEST table in the MDR. Closed the place down nightly with our carrying on and laughter.

Oh and we booked another Mariner cruise for 1/13/2013. Now I have to remember how to create my countdown clock! :D;)

Anyone who wants to hijack this thread is more than welcome. Bring photos!

Grand Cayman; took a lame glass bottom boat and spun around in a circle passing over the same shipwreck ad nauseum. No promised colorful fish, no beautiful reef. This was done in between the dock and the anchored ships so you can get an idea of how "far" we sailed out. We were then herded onto buses for the 2nd half of the island tour, very chaotic. Our excursion tickets were turned in when we boarded the glass bottom boat. NOBODY knew who was supposed to go.. where. One lady was shoved into the glass bottom boat when she had a ticket for the jolly roger trolley. When she exited she was told to board the bus for the 2nd half of the tour. She didn't understand what happened to her tour, the one she paid for, the one she expected to get on. I told her to relax and enjoy the tour which she did. They need a better system. Tour operators were gruff, insensitive and plain NOT helpful. Once back on board we complained, we were compensated.

Falmouth, Jamaica was a big surprise. None of the vendors were in our faces. All were friendly, no harrassment. We had a totally different experience in Ocho Rios a few years ago. Most of the vendors there were touchy feely and we were pleasantly surprised this was not the case in Falmouth. We took a short approx. 40 min tram ride thru the town outside the port complex. Very interesting to see a hospital, school, Jewish cemetery and typical neighborhood.

Bonnie, we did the glass bottom boat in George Town, too! Man was that crappy! I blame RCL (for false advertising and misinformation at the shore excursions desk - they told me it left from our pier), Resort Tours Ltd (the people who did the bus part of the tour - thankfully we only booked the glass bottom boat as I HATED being packed like sardines using the jump seats in that little bus they used to take us over to the glass bottom boat), and Cayman Island Submarines.com (the boat operator) whose photo ads were VERY misleading. I am going to be writing RCL about this one! We had tickets for the Trolley Roger at noon and missed it because this tour was so poorly handled. Do you mind if I ask what your compensation was when you complained?

I also agree with you about Falmouth. We did the Good Hope Great House tour and Taste of Jamaica lunch with Chukka Caribbean Adventures - what a difference from the Resort Tours Ltd people! My only gripe was that we were supposed to get a brief tour on the bus of Falmouth so we did not take the trolley there - and my hubby was too tired when we got back from Good Hope and I did not want to press him. Wish now that we'd gotten off the ship a bit earlier and done the trolley first - maybe next time! I enjoyed the shopping in the port complex (hubby sat while I shopped!). Some of the local craftspeople vendors were a little aggressive but not threateningly so - one talked me into buying a shirt even though I probably could have found a better fit in another stall!

Bonnie, we did the glass bottom boat in George Town, too! Man was that crappy! I blame RCL (for false advertising and misinformation at the shore excursions desk - they told me it left from our pier), Resort Tours Ltd (the people who did the bus part of the tour - thankfully we only booked the glass bottom boat as I HATED being packed like sardines using the jump seats in that little bus they used to take us over to the glass bottom boat), and Cayman Island Submarines.com (the boat operator) whose photo ads were VERY misleading. I am going to be writing RCL about this one! We had tickets for the Trolley Roger at noon and missed it because this tour was so poorly handled. Do you mind if I ask what your compensation was when you complained?

I also agree with you about Falmouth. We did the Good Hope Great House tour and Taste of Jamaica lunch with Chukka Caribbean Adventures - what a difference from the Resort Tours Ltd people! My only gripe was that we were supposed to get a brief tour on the bus of Falmouth so we did not take the trolley there - and my hubby was too tired when we got back from Good Hope and I did not want to press him. Wish now that we'd gotten off the ship a bit earlier and done the trolley first - maybe next time! I enjoyed the shopping in the port complex (hubby sat while I shopped!). Some of the local craftspeople vendors were a little aggressive but not threateningly so - one talked me into buying a shirt even though I probably could have found a better fit in another stall!

RCI at guest relations first offered us a 30% refund. Our friends stood firm and insisted on 50% since half the tour was not as advertised. A call was made and we got what we asked for. Oh and I forgot to mention that there weren't enough seats on the glass bottom boat so a few of us had to sit on hard molded plastic chairs at the end of the "glass bottom".

They need to hear from folks who like you and me paid good money for a tour that didn't deliver.

Something happened in Cozumel that I need to share with all of you. The four of us (DH, myself and friends) were meandering in the port area adjacent to the International Pier where the satelite Senor Frog's is located. Two teen girls were arguing with one of the chochkie stall people. We didn't pay any attention and continued our meandering. Approx. 40 mins later as we passed that same area, the two teens were still arguing, one was crying. I walked over and asked what was going on. Apparently, one of the teens, both were 17, handed a $20 bill to the stall clerk, expecting change. He walked away with her money without giving her change or the item she was supposed to purchase. He left the stall in the hands of a woman who made believe she knew nothing. I told the girl to have no fear.. MAMA was here. I walked over to the stall clerk and shouted that she MUST GIVE THE GIRL BACK HER $20 IMMEDIATELY or I will call security and the police. She looked doubtful and started to chatter with another stall owner. I again said very loud that I am about to go get port security. Guess what? She handed over the $20 bill. The girls were so appreciative. Said their parents allowed them time alone at the pier after their excursion. Girl whose money was taken cried that her mom did so much for them to go on a vacation and that it was her mom's money. Oh man I felt soooooooooo good. I told her to stick with her mama and to always have small bills to pay the exact amount.

I wish Mariner would go back to 8pm dinner. 8:30 is just a bit late for us. Not sure what we will do on our next cruise. My time dining sounds wonderful but then it cuts into showtime, which btw I could seriously miss but my DH and friends can't miss them so I have to go with the flow.

I tried creating the same countdown clock but all I got was.. text. Help anyone??

Something happened in Cozumel that I need to share with all of you. The four of us (DH, myself and friends) were meandering in the port area adjacent to the International Pier where the satelite Senor Frog's is located. Two teen girls were arguing with one of the chochkie stall people. We didn't pay any attention and continued our meandering. Approx. 40 mins later as we passed that same area, the two teens were still arguing, one was crying. I walked over and asked what was going on. Apparently, one of the teens, both were 17, handed a $20 bill to the stall clerk, expecting change. He walked away with her money without giving her change or the item she was supposed to purchase. He left the stall in the hands of a woman who made believe she knew nothing. I told the girl to have no fear.. MAMA was here. I walked over to the stall clerk and shouted that she MUST GIVE THE GIRL BACK HER $20 IMMEDIATELY or I will call security and the police. She looked doubtful and started to chatter with another stall owner. I again said very loud that I am about to go get port security. Guess what? She handed over the $20 bill. The girls were so appreciative. Said their parents allowed them time alone at the pier after their excursion. Girl whose money was taken cried that her mom did so much for them to go on a vacation and that it was her mom's money. Oh man I felt soooooooooo good. I told her to stick with her mama and to always have small bills to pay the exact amount.

Bonnie-good job! Wow watch out when the 'mama' gene kicks in! I know the girls were so happy you came to their rescue. :)

We were on same sailing. I definitely agree the food was nothing to get excited about - but we were very disappointed in the service - MDR and Windjammer. For example, (in the MDR) a gentleman in our party ordered milk with his breakfast and he received it as they picked up his plate after he finished his meal. The lack of service continued all week. My DH compared it to being all dressed up and going to McDonalds.

The list is endless and I could go on and on. But I can say due to our experience we have decided not to sail RCCL again.

We were on same sailing. I definitely agree the food was nothing to get excited about - but we were very disappointed in the service - MDR and Windjammer. For example, (in the MDR) a gentleman in our party ordered milk with his breakfast and he received it as they picked up his plate after he finished his meal. The lack of service continued all week. My DH compared it to being all dressed up and going to McDonalds.

The list is endless and I could go on and on. But I can say due to our experience we have decided not to sail RCCL again.

I'm sorry your service experience was different than ours. We lucked out with a wonderful waiter team. We felt badly for them because two of their three tables remained totally empty the whole voyage. Maybe this is why we got such wonderful service. Breakfast and lunch in the MDR had equally wonderful service. Food was spaced exactly as it should be. Entrees came out after we were finished with appetizers/soup and everything was brought out in a timely manner.

I hope Mariner gets their act together soon. Many, many complaints about the food.

Oh by the way, there was a shopping frenzy one evening in the Royal Promanade. People were lined deep to get these wonderful bargains of handbags, jewelry, t-shirts, watches, etc., etc. I mean pushing to get to the tables :eek: I get my fill of shopping for personal items at home. Sort of put a damper on how I feel about cruising but it seemed that the majority of folks loved it.

Passed the pub many times in the RP and what I read on this board was spot on. Cig smoke was very thick even just passing outside. No wonder Derek stayed with the Voyager! Never went to the Lotus Lounge since we aren't C&W fans. Went to the "disco" for Motown hour and all we heard when we came in was Boy George :confused: Bar waiter said Motown was finished. It was listed in the compass from 10-11PM. We got there at 10:15. No slamming please..just MHO.

Overall based on previous cruises we thought our Voyager cruise last year was far "better" than this one. Food and entertainment can really make or break a cruise. Mariner was lacking in both but... we are going to give it another try next Jan. What made this cruise special for us was the wonderful time we had with friends at dinnertime. Loved running into folks all over the ship from our roll call. That's what kept us going.

I am really surprised to hear the negative comments about the Mariner food. On our sailing the previous week, we thought the food was very good in the MDR and the WJ -- much better than on the Liberty of the Seas last year. The prime rib and lamb shanks, in particular, were excellent and I love the mushrooms in pastry and the soups. I'm not a shrimp or lobster fan but my DH and friends loved them. The much talked-about vidalia onion tart was more tart than onion this time but was still good. I do agree that most of the desserts weren't anything to write home about but IMO they never are. They always look better than they taste.

I, also, thought the food wasn't quite up to par but my husband thought it was great. A difference of palate, I guess. On the other hand, we had the most exceptional waiter EVER. He really did make the dining experience wonderful. We had planned to go Chops one night but cancelled bc we would miss our waiter, Raj. He not only served us but entertained us nightly with silly sayings and tricks! Bonnie, I agree about the 8:30 dining time...I prefer 8 pm. I would have liked to hang out in Boleros but the smoke was overpowering. Most Americans are now used to smoke-free places and it makes it hard to get used to again.

We also went to Paradise Beach in Cozumel...awesome time! We did our own snorkeling in Grand Cayman at Eden Rock...(went there off a recommendation on CC)...only $18 to rent equipment and we snorkeled for 90 min. In Falmouth, we used Jamaica for a Day and went to Rose Hall Hilton. That was my favorite...absolutely beautiful and so much to do. Wish we could have stayed there longer! Overall a great cruise.

I'm sorry your service experience was different than ours. We lucked out with a wonderful waiter team. We felt badly for them because two of their three tables remained totally empty the whole voyage. Maybe this is why we got such wonderful service. Breakfast and lunch in the MDR had equally wonderful service. Food was spaced exactly as it should be. Entrees came out after we were finished with appetizers/soup and everything was brought out in a timely manner.

I hope Mariner gets their act together soon. Many, many complaints about the food.

Oh by the way, there was a shopping frenzy one evening in the Royal Promanade. People were lined deep to get these wonderful bargains of handbags, jewelry, t-shirts, watches, etc., etc. I mean pushing to get to the tables :eek: I get my fill of shopping for personal items at home. Sort of put a damper on how I feel about cruising but it seemed that the majority of folks loved it.

Passed the pub many times in the RP and what I read on this board was spot on. Cig smoke was very thick even just passing outside. No wonder Derek stayed with the Voyager! Never went to the Lotus Lounge since we aren't C&W fans. Went to the "disco" for Motown hour and all we heard when we came in was Boy George :confused: Bar waiter said Motown was finished. It was listed in the compass from 10-11PM. We got there at 10:15. No slamming please..just MHO.

Overall based on previous cruises we thought our Voyager cruise last year was far "better" than this one. Food and entertainment can really make or break a cruise. Mariner was lacking in both but... we are going to give it another try next Jan. What made this cruise special for us was the wonderful time we had with friends at dinnertime. Loved running into folks all over the ship from our roll call. That's what kept us going.

I was wondering if you happened to mention the shortcomings on the end of cruise comment card? I've noticed that items I mentioned in the past have been improved if I noted them. So often, I forget the details during the hustle of the last day. My bad.:o

Hey Bonnie: glad your trip went well. Love love love Mariner too:D I had the Lamb Shank, but I agree with Bonnie about the food....getting worse. Hope they can go back to the type of food we had 5 or 6 years ago. We have the Jamaica itin booked for 2013 as well and are encouraged by what you said. We spent our time in Jamaica last year going to Rick's Cafe which is much improved this year. We will probably head there again next year. You can google that:D

Oh and I let them have it big time on our comment card "foodwise".

I was on the Dec. 4 Mariner OTS. We had norovirus then, as did cruises before and after ours. Why can't this ship get rid of it? I'm sailing again March 25 and sure hope it is gone by then.

Rack of lamb had been dropped on RCI cruises. We used to get lamb two nights and now it is only on one night on the 7-day cruise -- the Lamb Shank. Here is one of many threads with 7-day RCI menus: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1505903

I thought the food was fine. Some hits, some misses -- as usual. The honey stung chicken was the best I've ever had. The fillet of beef Monday night was great. Prime rib was good both Sunday and Friday. Lobster was good. Beef Stroganoff can be elminated (or at least changed to a sour cream recipe with noodles). We might even try the buffet Tuesday night next time because Tuesday to me has the worst MDR selection (Sunday departure). Or maybe I'll go for the $14.95 Chop's Fillet that night. Buffet was OK -- I already mentioned the honey stung chicken. The Jade section had some good Chinese dishes. I agree about Cafe Promenade -- a good place for desserts and morning Danish and Seattle's Best Coffee (no extra charge).

Archived