Freaking out!!

drider

Our flight into Tampa on Feb 4th arrives at 2:15 pm and the info says we need to be checked in by 3 PM with about a 20 minute ride to the airport if EVERYTHING goes smoothly. I have already done all the check in that I can on the computer. Will we be ok if we arrive after 3 pm for a 4:30 sailing? Should we attempt to get a RCI transfer? Take a cab? There are 6 of us traveling together. All of us are first timers.:eek:

Cutting it way too close.........You really need to get an earlier flight..... and NO,You MUST be checked in 1 1/2 hr prior to sailaway.......

IF everything went smoothly(flight on time,no traffic,carry on luggage only),you probably have a 1 in 10 chance of making it.........not very good odds.

Besides when the airline says your flight arrives at 2:15,that does not mean,that is when you get off the plane......

Our flight into Tampa on Feb 4th arrives at 2:15 pm and the info says we need to be checked in by 3 PM with about a 20 minute ride to the airport if EVERYTHING goes smoothly. I have already done all the check in that I can on the computer. Will we be ok if we arrive after 3 pm for a 4:30 sailing? Should we attempt to get a RCI transfer? Take a cab? There are 6 of us traveling together. All of us are first timers.:eek:

Not to be rude, but it is very unlikely you will make it. Change your flights. Yes you will have to pay change fees, but it's cheaper than losing all the money you have spent on the cruise. What airline, and where are you coming from/flying through?

Also, I would suggest flying the day before if you can. If not, get the first flight out in the morning from your departure city. I hope there are some seats left!

Not to mention traffic can be HORRENDOUS from TPA to the Port depending on what time of day it is.

I would say you have about a 99% chance of being denied boarding!

I would be freaking out too! PLEASE change your flight!

welcome to cruisecritic.

You are cutting really, really close. I would be freaking out too, as any delay may cause a huge problem.

what airline are you flying? Can you change to an earlier flight, maybe even the day before the cruise? If you cannot change flights now, can you go standby on earlier flights?

I believe the ship must deliver a manifest to Homeland security before sailing. the 3 pm checkin time is probably firm...Do not expect them to extend the deadline.

To help you understand why everyone is saying this is such a big deal, it is mandatory that everyone be on board 1 1/2 hours before sailing. I believe this is a coast guard regulation (someone who knows the specifics... help me out please?) Since this is not an RCI policy, they don't have the leaway to give you grace. From what I've heard, if you come running to the gate a few minutes late, they may not be able to accomodate you no matter who much they want to. Can someone who understands this better than me elaborate?

The 90 minutes ahead requirement for arrival is a Homeland Security rule that Royal Caribbean can't modify. I don't see anyway you can make it with a 2:15 airport arrival time.Change flights or plan on missing the boat.

welcome to cruisecritic.

You are cutting really, really close. I would be freaking out too, as any delay may cause a huge problem.

what airline are you flying? Can you change to an earlier flight, maybe even the day before the cruise? If you cannot change flights now, can you go standby on earlier flights?

I believe the ship must deliver a manifest to Homeland security before sailing. the 3 pm checkin time is probably firm...Do not expect them to extend the deadline.

IIRC, Southwest is the only airline that still let's you truly "stand-by". Most airlines have gone to the "same-day confirmed change" policy where you pay $50 and receive a confirmed seat on an earlier or later flight with available seats. OP, I would most definitely be calling your airline and making those changes ASAP!

Ok Here is the scoop. DH won the cruise through his job with 6 other people. THEY arranged the cabins and flight. We will be flying into Tampa on AA. We did not get the choice. The trip with flights was booked through a TA in the hometown of the owner of the company that is gifting this cruise.

Ok Here is the scoop. DH won the cruise through his job with 6 other people. THEY arranged the cabins and flight. We will be flying into Tampa on AA. We did not get the choice. The trip with flights was booked through a TA in the hometown of the owner of the company that is gifting this cruise.

And I think the posters here are telling you that, very likely, you won't be able to make it.

Then I would have your DH call whoever is putting the cruise together and tell them your concern. Let them know that you will be more than happy to pay the change fee. Highly doubtful you will be on the ship if you do not.

Can you call the TA and pay to make the changes? I would really hate for you all to miss your cruise, because it is not likely you will make it. Can't believe that TA booked flights arriving so close to time of departure. I guess worst case, you could always re-book your own flights if they refuse or can't change them. Where are you flying from?

Does anyone know if you can make changes to flights through the airline booked by a TA, ie same rule that applies to cruises?

The passenger manifest must be turned in 90 minutes before sailing. You land at 2:30 but by the time you get off the plane and go get your luggage it will already be 3pm and there you are still in the airport. Keep in mind this is only if everything goes smoothly. This is a major screw-up on the part of whomever booked the flights. If you miss the ship you will have to fly to your first port of call at your own expense. Hardly a gift!!

If I were you I would do whatever I could to take an earlier flight or fly in the day before.

Looked at AA website and that is the earliest arrival in Tampa we can get from El Paso OMGGGGGGG UGHHHHHHH

I would call the TA ASAP. But, I will warn you that they may not be able to do anything about it. I've gone on group cruises before arranged through a TA. We've wanted to change the plane ticket (to give us extra time in Florida before departing) and the TA was unable to change the tickets (even at an extra charge) because they were non-refundable/exchangable group tickets (through SWA).

. If you miss the ship you will have to fly to your first port of call at your own expense. Hardly a gift!!

Which would be expensive I bet and turn their 5 night cruise into a 3 night cruise. :( They would have to meet the ship in Cozumel on Monday.

I cannot believe a TA would book such late flights on the same day the ship leaves! :eek:

We live on the west coast & unless we are just flying down to L.A. we never fly in on the same day the ship leaves.

Especially in winter..... you have to remember that even though the weather might be good where you are, your plane is coming from somewhere else where the weather might be bad.

We fly out tonight from San Francisco. We have had incredible fog the last 24 hours so I would be surprised if we are not a bit delayed which in turn, delays people in Fort Lauderdale where we are going.

AND THE REAL BUMMER......

It was on the news last night that the 99%ers....you know those protesters that shut down the Oakland port awhile back....might try & shut down the Oakland airport for awhile this weekend. That is a huge airport. If they really do it, flights will be affected all over. If they block the roads, anyone who needs to catch their flight will be out of luck.

I hate those people. Their protests seem to be doing more damage to the average person than the elite that they are supposedly protesting against.

To many unknowns nowadays to book a flight to close !

Looked at AA website and that is the earliest arrival in Tampa we can get from El Paso OMGGGGGGG UGHHHHHHH

I was just looking for you and noticed that. There is availability on Friday from ELP to TPA leaving at 4:15PM getting into TPA at 12:25AM. You could get a hotel room cheaply. I'm not sure what the T&C's are with your trip and the TA. Do you have the contact info for the TA?

You could always purchase your own tickets if they refuse to change. Southwest comes in at $428 per person roundtrip leaving the 3rd and returning the 9th. This is assuming your cruise runs Sat-Thur?

Realistically you won't make it even if you have all carry-ons. The 3PM deadline is not fully controlled by RCCL there are lots of other factors out of RCCL's control that doesn't allow them to change this cut off time.

RE: RCCL transfer to pier. Did you book your flights through RCCL ? If not than even if you purchased tranfers, RCCL is not obligated to hold the bus if your flight is late since it was probably not booked through them.

Now I have checked ALL airlines out of El Paso and the earliest arrival time in Tampa is 1:53 PM looks like we need to fly in the night before and get a room.... not a great way to spend the money to change flight and have to pay for a room on top of that

Archived