Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old February 1st, 2012, 01:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default How long can you stay on the ship on disembarkation day?

My boyfriend and I had to choose between a cutting it close flight or a late flight, and we chose late. We don't have anything planned for Ft Lauderdale that day. How long can we hang out on the ship, ha? What time is everyone usually off by?

Also, do they serve lunch this day, or only bfast?

Old February 1st, 2012, 01:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Location: Acworth Georgia (NW of Atlanta, Marietta and Kennasaw)

Only breakfast for departing passengers. Usually you have to be off before 10am or earlyer.

Old February 1st, 2012, 03:41 AM
5,000+ Club

Yes, breakfast ONLY and everyone will probably be off by 10:00 most likely.

Cruise Pics at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wearyeagle/sets/

Carnival Miracle again March 1st - Mexican Riviera
Carnival INSPIRATION - February 10th - can't beat these prices, folks. Gotta do it again.
Carnival IMAGINATION - Ensenada, Catalina again
it never gets old.
Carnival INSPIRATION - Ensenada, Mexico, Santa Catalina, CA (26 miles across the sea)
PRINCESS STAR - Alaska, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Victoria, B.C.
Carnival MIRACLE - So Caribbean, Grand Turk, La Romana, Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba
Carnival SPLENDOR X 4 - Mexican Riviera BF & AF, sister of the Costa CONCORDIA
Carnival SPIRIT lower Mexican Riviera, Acapulco,Zihuantenejo/Ixtapa,Manzanillo
Carnival VICTORY X 2 Halifax, Nova Scotia - Cozumel, Panama, Montego Bay
Carnival LEGEND - Eastern Caribbean
Carnnival PRIDE X 2 Mexican Riviera PLATINUM !
Carnival GLORY X 2 Western Caribbean & Eastern Caribbean
Carnival ELATION X 3 Mexican Riviera
Carnival JUBILEE X 3 Mexican Riviera
Carnival TROPICALE X 3 Mexican Riviera
NCL SEAWARD Western Caribbean
PACQUET LINES (French ship disaster) LA to Vancouver

Old February 1st, 2012, 05:13 AM
5,000+ Club

They serve lunch, but for the next group of passengers Last call for departing pax will be around 10. They will start boarding the next cruise around 11:30, so they need everyone off to get the ship ready.

You might want to look into getting a hotel in FLL for the day, depending on when your flight is. Or, you can take a tour of the Everglades offered by Carnival...they will drop you off at the airport after the tour.

Previous Cruises
Norwegian Getaway - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Epic - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 4/6/13
Celebrity Summit - 7 Day Southern Caribbean 12/1/12
Carnival Liberty - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 5/12/12
Norwegian Epic - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 12/31/11
Carnival Legend - 7 Day Western Caribbean 9/4/11
Norwegian Epic - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 4/9/11
Carnival Glory - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 5/9/10
Mariner of the Seas - 7 Day Mexican Riviera 11/1/09
Carnival Freedom - 6 Day Western Caribbean 4/19/09 - Platinum!
Carnival Inspiration - 5 Day Western Caribbean 11/3/08
Carnival Inspiration - 4 Day Western Caribbean 10/30/08
Carnival Valor - 7 Day Western Caribbean 4/13/08
Carnival Valor - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 10/21/07
Carnival Imagination - 4 Day Western Caribbean 5/3/07
Carnival Miracle - 7 Day Western Caribbean 12/3/06
Carnival Fantasy - 4 Day Bahamas 9/22/02
Celebration - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 3/9/96
Carnival Imagination - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean 7/1/95

Old February 1st, 2012, 06:18 AM
5,000+ Club

Get off the ship as soon as you can, so that the new passengers can start to enjoy their cruise.

GOTTA LOVE CRUISING
I am not in a hurry, I am on VACATION!!

Emerald Seas 8/80-Bahamas
Carnival Fantasy 5/92-Bahamas

Carnival Fantasy 4/94-Bahamas
Norwegian Sea 11/02-Western Caribbean
Carnival Triumph 11/04-Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Celebration 3/07-Bahamas
Holland America Eurodam 4/09-Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Eclipse 4/11-Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas 2/12-Western Caribbean (17th Anniversary )
Holland America Eurodam 3/12-Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Epic 11/12- Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Silhouette 4/13- Western Caribbean
Disney Dream 1/14 Bahamas
Royal Princess 4/14- Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Epic 4/14 Western Caribbean

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Stay on the ship as long as you can. Be The Last Person off. Someone has to do that dirty job.
Longer you stay, the more cruise you get for your money. When there calling you by name then you know its time to go

Old February 1st, 2012, 06:35 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I think you can hope everyone is off by 10, and on a good day, that will be the case. Many things can delay debarkation. On our cruise on the Victory in October we were in the last group called and were not off until noon. Fog can delay debarkation if the ship doesn't dock until later. Etc. So you can assume it will be cleared by 10 but that is by no means a guarantee.

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt~~Lucy, Peanuts

Your pirate name is:

Captain Bess Rackham

Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. You have the good fortune of having a good name, since Rackham (pronounced RACKem, not rack-ham) is one of the coolest sounding surnames for a pirate. Arr!

Old February 1st, 2012, 09:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

I love the fact when I read posts about people who want to tempt fate with an early flight all you get is horror stories about how the odds of people making it to the airport for an 11:00 am flight are as rare as snow in Miami...

But, when people ask about when a ship is cleared and the last person is off, everyone says there is little chance of being on board past 10:00.

I know its risk and there are a bunch of variables and customs holds all the cards, But the responses are such polar opposites its amusing.
Pride Feb 2002
Vicorty Feb 2001
Triumph Feb 2000
Ecstasy Christmas 1993

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

You are supposed to be out of your cabin by 8:30. By between 10 and 10:30 AM all of the passengers have left the ship.

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:17 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmetrius View Post
Stay on the ship as long as you can. Be The Last Person off. Someone has to do that dirty job.
Longer you stay, the more cruise you get for your money. When there calling you by name then you know its time to go

Yes, and maybe someone on the cruise BEFORE them will be wanting to do the same thing, hence causing them a delay in starting THEIR vacation.
It works both ways.

BTW, the cabin stewards will prop open your cabin door at a certain time so you just cannot lounge around in there in hopes of dragging out your time. They want and need you out to prepare for the next group of passengers. You will have to go wait in a public area and most everything will be closed. Enjoy your breakfast and debark in a timely fashion to allow the crew to get ready for the next group.

Here is a list of hotels in FLL that will offer day rooms if you want to linger by the pool before your flight. http://www.sunny.org/visitors/cruiseandplay/hotels/

Good luck.

Carnival Legend
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Liberty

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:17 AM
5,000+ Club

Only breakfast and it's usually closed down by 8, 8:30ish. We have been on as late as 9:40, that's about last call....

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

I would rather hang out at the airport than on the ship on debarkation day ... it is mostly people pushing and shoving and just trying to get their crap together after a whole week of being lazy It is not as easy it it sounds for some people.

Get off the ship in a timely manner - since you have time, linger over breakfast and debark when you are called (you can ask for the LAST baggage tags, so you know you will be the last to be called off the ship - they unload baggage in zones so that those with early flights or tours can get off quickly). You can also carry off your own bags if everything you have is small and can be managed by stairs if necessary.

Ft. Lauderdale is nice and you could easily enjoy a day there ... driving is not hard (IMO) and some car rental services offer port and airport shuttles (Alamo used to - you would have to call them). You can also find tours through the cruiseline or privately from Port Everglades, just the same as you find them at other destination ports. Just make sure part of the package is drop off at the airport and taking care of your baggage.

Some airlines participate in the checkthrough service - you can check all of your baggage from the ship straight through to your airline - you never touch it again until you get home. That would free you up with just a backpack or whatever for morning essentials (you set out your bag the night before) to hop in a cab and enjoy Ft. Lauderdale. Check on this service as well before you go - don't just plan on it being there - not sure if every airline or every ship/port participates.

Hope this helps!

Carnival Spirit 2/12
Carnival Liberty 5/11
Norwegian Sun 11/10
Carnival Liberty 5/10
Norwegian Dawn 11/08
Carnival Victory 4/08
Carnival Valor 3/07
Enchantment of the Seas 12/06
Enchantment of the Seas 9/06

Last edited by Lisl123; February 1st, 2012 at 10:46 AM.

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

On our last morning we went down for breakfast at 6:30. We left our stuff in our room because we knew we had until about 8 to be out. When we got back from breakfast at about 7:15, the beds were made up, the towels changed and they made it pretty uncomfortable to be in there as we didn't want to mess anything up.
They want you out so they can turn the room over for the next guest. you are pretty much status non grata on the last day.

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:58 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
I love the fact when I read posts about people who want to tempt fate with an early flight all you get is horror stories about how the odds of people making it to the airport for an 11:00 am flight are as rare as snow in Miami...

But, when people ask about when a ship is cleared and the last person is off, everyone says there is little chance of being on board past 10:00.

I know its risk and there are a bunch of variables and customs holds all the cards, But the responses are such polar opposites its amusing.
Just because you're off at 10am doesn't mean jack. You still have to clear customs, get your luggage, get a taxi, make it to the airport.

Plus, this discusion is what the 'usual' debarkation process is like. I have been on ships where there have been 'issues' with customs and the ship didn't clear til after 1pm.

Old February 1st, 2012, 11:49 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozzette2 View Post
On our last morning we went down for breakfast at 6:30. We left our stuff in our room because we knew we had until about 8 to be out. When we got back from breakfast at about 7:15, the beds were made up, the towels changed and they made it pretty uncomfortable to be in there as we didn't want to mess anything up.
They want you out so they can turn the room over for the next guest. you are pretty much status non grata on the last day.
So true......

Carnival Fantasy April 2009
Carnival Fantasy July 2009
Carnival Elation May 2010
Carnival Triumph April 2011
Carnival Elation May 2011
Carnival Elation May 2012
Carnival Elation June 2013
Carnival Elation June 2014

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:03 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcuchio24 View Post
Just because you're off at 10am doesn't mean jack. You still have to clear customs, get your luggage, get a taxi, make it to the airport.

Plus, this discusion is what the 'usual' debarkation process is like. I have been on ships where there have been 'issues' with customs and the ship didn't clear til after 1pm.
I was going to make this same point. One of the reasons I do Platinum self assist is because I don't want to be behinds thousands of people already in the terminal having trouble finding their documents or handling all their luggage.

I was in Miami one time when our ship didn't clear customs until close to noon and it was a nightmare. They went ahead and set up for lunch like usual but wouldn't let any of us have anything to eat. It's a good thing I always have protein bars with me......

Festivale 5/1983, Festivale 6/1984, Holiday 7/2001, Inspiration 2/2002
Paradise 3/2004, Pride 9/2004, Victory 5/2005, Conquest 4/2006
Conquest 9/2006, Freedom 3/2007, Glory 9/2007, Conquest 2/2008,
Valor 5/2008, Glory 8/2008, Glory 9/2008, Fantasy 2/2009, Conquest 9/2009,
Dream 12/2009, Conquest 2/2010, Ecstasy 4/2010, Conquest 9/2010,
Ecstasy 2/2011, Glory 2/2011, Conquest 10/2011, Triumph 11/2011, Magic 3/2012,
Conquest 9/2012, Breeze 1/13/13 & 1/19/13, Conquest 4/2013, Magic 10/2013, Sunshine 2/2014, Magic 8/2014

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:36 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

On our Liberty cruise out of Miami, we ordered room service breakfast and coffee on the last day. I sat on the balcony and watched people get off, the activity below of moving luggage off the ship, the drug-sniffing dogs, LOTS of activity.

At 8:30am we went up to Lido buffet to wait for our number. I think they were on number 8 and we were number 26. We sat down, grabbed our cellphones and checked email, Facebook, made phone calls, checked the news, ate breakfast, watched the workers move the signs from "BREAKFAST" to "LUNCH" , lots of cleaning etc. We sat there until well past 10am when they finally called our number. I looked around at that point and saw there were only 2 other families still there. We went down, found our luggage, stood in line at customs for about 10 minutes, and out the door. It took us less than 1/2 hour to go from the Lido deck where we were sitting to a waiting cab.
11/2012 - Carnival Victory - San Juan, Puerto Rico - St. John/St. Thomas USVI - Barbados - St. Lucia - St. Kitts - St. Maarten - (aft-wrap balcony)
11/2011 - Carnival Liberty 2.0 - Miami, Florida - Cozumel, Mexico - Xunantunich Ruins, Belize - Roatan, Honduras - Grand Cayman - (balcony)
12/2005 - Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas - Miami, Florida - Nassau, Bahamas - CocoCay, Bahamas - Key West, Florida - (oceanview)

Last edited by ibcnusoon; February 1st, 2012 at 12:41 PM.

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

I expected some rude replies, but I also needed to know so I went for it. To the many of you that were helpful, thanks

I give Carnival plenty of money so I have no issue with getting off the ship as late as we can. I seriously doubt that is going to effect the enjoyment of the next passengers, btw. (Have been on 2 other cruises but had early flights both times)

I also see no reason to be up super early if I can get the later disembarkation time. We may do a FL excursion, or just do brunch somewhere. It will be nice not to be in a huge rush at the airport like I usually am while traveling. Ha.

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:57 PM
5,000+ Club

I hear all these "horror" stories about all the things that "could" happen that would prevent one from exiting the ship in a timely fashion and I must say that out of 20 Carnival cruises I don't recall debarking later than 10:00 ever. I'm sure it happens, but I'm also sure its quite rare. (living close to my home port, there are actually times I've been home and unpacked by 10:00am)

I would never book a flight earlier than 2:00pm, however. I prefer to book a much later flight JUST IN CASE that fog and customs GREMLIN enters the picture.

Cruise Pics at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wearyeagle/sets/

Carnival Miracle again March 1st - Mexican Riviera
Carnival INSPIRATION - February 10th - can't beat these prices, folks. Gotta do it again.
Carnival IMAGINATION - Ensenada, Catalina again
it never gets old.
Carnival INSPIRATION - Ensenada, Mexico, Santa Catalina, CA (26 miles across the sea)
PRINCESS STAR - Alaska, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Victoria, B.C.
Carnival MIRACLE - So Caribbean, Grand Turk, La Romana, Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba
Carnival SPLENDOR X 4 - Mexican Riviera BF & AF, sister of the Costa CONCORDIA
Carnival SPIRIT lower Mexican Riviera, Acapulco,Zihuantenejo/Ixtapa,Manzanillo
Carnival VICTORY X 2 Halifax, Nova Scotia - Cozumel, Panama, Montego Bay
Carnival LEGEND - Eastern Caribbean
Carnnival PRIDE X 2 Mexican Riviera PLATINUM !
Carnival GLORY X 2 Western Caribbean & Eastern Caribbean
Carnival ELATION X 3 Mexican Riviera
Carnival JUBILEE X 3 Mexican Riviera
Carnival TROPICALE X 3 Mexican Riviera
NCL SEAWARD Western Caribbean
PACQUET LINES (French ship disaster) LA to Vancouver

Old February 1st, 2012, 01:16 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissvarna View Post
I expected some rude replies, but I also needed to know so I went for it. To the many of you that were helpful, thanks

I give Carnival plenty of money so I have no issue with getting off the ship as late as we can. I seriously doubt that is going to effect the enjoyment of the next passengers, btw. (Have been on 2 other cruises but had early flights both times)

I also see no reason to be up super early if I can get the later disembarkation time. We may do a FL excursion, or just do brunch somewhere. It will be nice not to be in a huge rush at the airport like I usually am while traveling. Ha.

I honestly don't think that anyone here was trying to be rude, they were just pointing out that the Carnival employees are wanting to get the ship ready for the next set of passengers and the courteous thing to do is to vacate your cabin at the time that they tell you too. I don't know what you mean by "sleeping-in" but your cabin steward will be propping your cabin door open so they can clean and get a group of cabins ready at the same time. You can get a later debarkation # but it will not mean that you will get later cabin privledges. All it will mean is that you will have to camp-out with your carry-ons in a public location waiting for your number to be called. The crew is not going to be catering to your every whim like they do when you first embark. They want and NEED that time for turn-around and other than grabbing something from the breakfast buffet you will be on your own. We had everything packed up in our cabin and went down to the buffet for breakfast. Like another poster said, the cabin steward was friendly but firm, he wanted us out and propped open our door plus several other in our line of cabins.,,,,,,, and this was at 7:45 not 8:30 as others have said. They have a quota to meet. We thanked him for our great service that week and went out to a public seating area to wait to debark.

You might not be effecting the enjoyment of the other oncoming passengers -but- you will be effecting the effeciency of the crew trying to ready the cabin and ship for the next set of cruisers. We as well as many others shell out plenty of money to Carnival as well but that does not mean I am entitled to do as I please even if it inconveniences the crew.

***** Sorry to say , but you vacation kinds of ends when you set your luggage out the night before. The next morning they want you to eat and leave and are not shy about letting you know so

Carnival Legend
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Liberty

Last edited by FlaGrl4Evr; February 1st, 2012 at 01:19 PM.