Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.

Old February 16th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What is the longest cruise you have been on?

Also what length would you suggest for a first timer?

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 16th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feels Goodman View Post
In my opininon of course.....

If you are close enough to drive to your departing port, than I would suggest a 7 day cruise. There are much more selections for seven day cruises. And of course you only need to take a week off work. And if you really don`t like it, you would only be stuck there for 7 days.

If you need to take a plane to your departing port, than I would suggest a cruise from 10 to 13. This way you you will get more bang for your buck. In other words, since you are already paying for airfare, you should make your holiday a good two week vacation!

If you leave from a nice port, you can go on a shorter cruise like 10 days, and spend some time before or after at that departing city.

If you really didn`t like it, you would be stuck on the ship for 10 to 13...but I really don't see a reason that you would hate cruising, unless you get seasick very easily. My two cents....

My longest cruise thus far is 13 nighter... but I have a 15 nighter scheduled for this automne.

PAST CRUISES
Liberty of the Seas - Feb 2, 2013
Adventure of the Seas TA - Nov 3rd 2012
Navigator of the Seas - January 22, 2012
Carnival Miracle - October 25th 2011
Celebrity Century - February 14, 2011
Jewel of the Seas - November 22, 2010
Celebrity Solstice - March 2010
Oasis of the Seas - March 2010
Independance of the Seas TA- November 2009
Voyager of the Seas - March 2009
Norwegian Star - December 2008
Freedom of the Seas - March 2008

Old February 16th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Try out one of the five day cruises. Most lines offer at least one ship doing four or five day cruises. See if you like it. Celebrity has been offering them pretty darn cheap, I have seen as low as $249...

My longest was 14 nights (on NCL, won't sail NCL again). I have a 13 night coming up in April on Celebrity (10 days are sea days) and am very much so looking forward to it. My partner and I have found that we prefer the sea days best. Since we have sailed to as many places as we have, we have been to most of the ports before and don't do much there anyway.

We are lucky, since he works for an AAirline, airfare doesn't really figure in for us. We pick our cruises based on the ship itself or number of sea days.

Aaron

Completed:Celebrity Millennium (TP), Carnival Inspiration, Celebrity Eclipse (TA), Carnival Conquest, Celebrity Eclipse (TA), Carnival Miracle, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Fascination, Celebrity Solstice, Carnival Conquest, Carnival Sensation, Norwegian Sun (TA), Carnival Spirit, Carnival Imagination, Crown Princess(TA), Carnival Pride, Island Princess, Carnival Pride, Grand Princess, Grand Princess

165 Days at Sea and Counting!

Old February 17th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default We love the seas days.

Our first was a trans pacific. 16 nights. Off on a 20 night one later this year.

Nothing better than knowing you have 6 or more days ahead where time becomes irrelevant and the whole ship takes on a magical atmosphere.

But for a first cruise I'd suggest 7-10 days.

Old February 17th, 2012, 11:15 AM
5,000+ Club

So far our longest is 14 days, loved it!

I too would suggest 7 for a first-timer as I'm just not a fan of the 3-5 nighters. If a shorty cruise is the only viable option, I would highly suggest doing X out of Miami vs. Carnival, NCL or Royal's short cruises.
Nordic Prince (7 night Bermuda)-1990
Norwegian Sea (7 night Western Caribbean)-2004
Celebration (5 night Bahamas)-2005
Norwegian Majesty (7 night Western Caribbean)-2006
Mariner of The Seas (7 night Eastern Caribbean)- Sep. 2007
Norwegian Star (8 night Mexican Riviera)-April 2008
Carnival Glory (7 night Western Caribbean)-November 2008
Celebrity Constellation (11 night Eastern/Southern Caribbean)- April 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 night Alaska)- August 2009
Celebrity Mercury (11 night Eastern Caribbean)-March 2010
Celebrity Constellation (14 night Southern Caribbean)-March 2011
Celebrity Silhouette (12 night Eastern/Southern Caribbean)-March 2012
Freedom of The Seas (14 Night Back-To-Back Western/Eastern Caribbean)-April 2013

Carnival Fantasy (7 Night Eastern Caribbean)-August 2014

Old February 17th, 2012, 12:13 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzeluver View Post
I too would suggest 7 for a first-timer as I'm just not a fan of the 3-5 nighters. If a shorty cruise is the only viable option, I would highly suggest doing X out of Miami vs. Carnival, NCL or Royal's short cruises.
I agree on the suggestion of a 7-nighter. Anything shorter and I don't think you'll really get the feel of crusing. Also, the short cruises (3-4 nights) have the reputation of being "booze cruises," and not in a good way. I think you'd get a skewed view of cruising (and might not enjoy it).

Old February 17th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I think a 7 day cruise is the best and fullest way to experience a cruise. Anything shorter than that goes way too fast. I'd only do shorter than 7 days if time and/or money is an issue. But I don't think I'd recommend anything more than 10 days for my first cruise. First timer should be extra careful in selecting the right cabin, itinerary, cruise line and ship. Do your homework. Read as many reviews here on Cruisecritic about your ship so you know what to expect. Talk to friends, family, co-working and travel professional who have have on cruises and ask a lots of questions. The biggest mistake many first timers do is select the wrong ship and come back disappointed. No two ships are unlike. Quality of food, entertainment, staff including price can vary widely.

Old February 18th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you everyone. You have gave me quite a bit to think about.

Old February 18th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Pete & I did 7 days from Vancouver to Anchorage, the another 15 to Japan, Russia, S.Korea & 3 stops in China.
This might be too much for a first timer, but we'd love to do it again.
Steve

Old February 18th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

I also suggest a 7-day for a first timer. My longest was two 12-day cruises back-to-back in the Mediterranean. Life was good.

None at this time. :-(

Past Cruises:

10. Apr 2013 - MSC - Poesia - Bermuda (Ft. Lauderdale)
9. Nov 2012 - NCL - Star - Western Caribbean (New Orleans)
8. Jul 2011 - Celebrity - Constellation - Norwegian Fjords (Amsterdam)
7. May 2011 - Royal Caribbean - Mariner of the Seas - Mediterranean (Rome)
6. Apr 2011 - Royal Caribbean - Mariner of the Seas - Mediterranean Holy Land (Rome)
5. Jan 2011 - NCL - Epic - Eastern Caribbean (Miami)
4. Jan 2010 - NCL - Spirit - Western Caribbean (New Orleans)
3. Jul 2009 - NCL - Gem - Western Mediterranean (Barcelona)
2. Jun 2008 - NCL - Jewel - Baltic (Dover)
1. Oct 2004 - Royal Caribbean - Brilliance of the Seas - Mediterranean (Barcelona)

Old February 18th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMBOY View Post
I think a 7 day cruise is the best and fullest way to experience a cruise. First timer should be extra careful in selecting the right cabin, itinerary, cruise line and ship. Do your homework. Read as many reviews here on Cruisecritic about your ship so you know what to expect. Talk to friends, family, co-working and travel professional who have have on cruises and ask a lots of questions. The biggest mistake many first timers do is select the wrong ship and come back disappointed. No two ships are unlike. Quality of food, entertainment, staff including price can vary widely.
I completely agree with you! Very sound advice! The more homework you can do, the more you can expect to enjoy your voyage, by making the right choices.
GRAND PRINCESS 7nt CA Coast 3/15/14
CENTURY 7NT CA Coastal 4/5/14
CENTURY 7NT CA Coastal 4/12/14

CENTURY 12nt Alaska 9/4/14
GOLDEN PRINCESS 8nt Mex 10/5/14
CROWN PRINCESS 7nt Mex 11/15/14

CENTURY: CA Coast 5/14/11; Hawaii 10/2/11; CA Coast 5/5/12; Hawaii 10/5/12
CONSTELLATION: Carib 3/24/12;
DIAMOND: Mex 10/28/06;
ENCHANTMENT OTS 5/31/12
EXPLORER OTS: Carib 2/4/07;
GOLDEN: Hawaii 4/27/11;
GRANDEUR OTS: Carib 9/15/06;
INDEPENDENCE OTS: Carib 1/27/13;
INFINITY: Mex 4/28/06; Hawaii 4/8/07; Alaska 5/10/10; Canal 4/16/13
JEWEL OTS: Carib 11/28/07;
MARINER OTS: Carib 10/28/07; LA's 1st Mex 2/22/09; Mex 3/1/09; Mex 8/30/09; Mex 11/8/09; Mex 10/10/10; Mex 11/7/10; Mex 1/2/11; LA's last Mex 1/9/11; Trans 10/26/11;
MERCURY: Mex 4/24/05; Mex 3/17/06; Mex 1/8/07; Pac NW 3/29/08; Pac NW 10/12/09; ALASKA 9/19/10;
MIRACLE: Mex 11/10/13;
MONARCH OTS: Mex 3/26/07; Mex 4/11/08; Mex 4/14/08;
NAVIGATOR OTS: Carib 2/16/13;
NORWAY: Carib 4/83;
NCL PEARL: Pac Coast 4/24/10;
OCEANIA RIVIERA: Carib 2/2/13;
RADIANCE OTS: Carib 11/25/06; Mex 10/24/09; Mex 1/2/10; Mex 1/11/10; Mex 2/22/10;
RYNDAM: Carib 4/3/11;
SAPPHIRE: Mex 11/04; Mex 1/17/09; CA Coast 9/24/11; Hawaii 2/4/12; Mex 1/12/13; Mex 10/5/13
SERENADE OTS: Pac NW 5/5/07; Alaska 5/3/08;
SOLSTICE: Carib 11/28/10; CA Coast 5/6/13; CA Coast 9/12/13
NCL SPIRIT: Mex 10/16/05;
NCL STAR: Mex 1/10/09; Mex 4/18/09;
STAR PRINCESS: Mex 10/11/08;
SUMMIT: Canal 11/20/05, Hawaii 1/02/06; Hawaii 4/9/06;
VISION OTS: Mex 11/5/06; Mex 10/14/07; Mex 1/6/08; Mex 9/27/08;
VOYAGER OTS: Carib 1/7/12 B2B 1/14/12
WESTERDAM: Carib 2/26/06;
WIND STAR: Tahiti 11/02;
DISNEY WONDER: Mex 1/23/11; Mex 11/4/12
ZUIDERDAM: Carib 2/23/08;

Old February 19th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with most other posters: 7 days is a good start. Fewer is way too short to get the feel of a ship and two weeks can be an eternity if you aren't enjoying yourself. Having said that - our first cruise was a HAL 39 day around South America and we have seldom had a better time. That's been followed by a 38 day Princess and a 73 day HAL, along with a number of shorter cruises along the way. And to think we put off cruising for years, certain we would hate it and it was just for "old people."

Oh, and for those still wondering how accepting "straight" cruiselines and passengers are of gays and gay couples, let me just add my two cents: In ten years of cruising, my husband and I have never once been met with anything other than warmth and complete acceptance on every ship we've sailed. If anything, people seem to go out of their way to show just how "cool" they are with gay couples.

But whatever length you choose, go, be yourselves and have the time of your lives.

Brian

Old February 19th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Our longest was 35 days (HAL - Voyage of the Vikings) which we loved. I would gladly take a longer one except for a) my partner thought 35 days was plenty and b) it's a long time to be away from our pets. I remember well my feeling when we first went to our cabin -- WOW, 5 weeks without having to plan/cook a meal and no worrying about packing and changing hotel rooms. Sheer bliss!!!

And I concur with the statement about acceptance of gays -- we have also never had any problem. If anything people seem to go out of their way to be friendly.

Oh yes -- I too agree that for the first time 7 days is about right. Consider also that you get a somewhat different mix of passengers depending on length, itinerary and ship size. You pretty well have to be retired to go on a very long cruise and some itineraries attract passengers more interested in seeing the world while others draw people wanting only the "cruise experience". Huge ships attract people who are more interested in having fun on the ship, smaller ships attract people who like to get into smaller and unusual ports.

Read lots on Cruise Critic -- there's a huge amount of information here, most of it really good stuff. Just be prepared for some strong feelings on certain things -- like dress codes!!

...Rick

Old February 19th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Don't forget...

Remember that your embarkation and disembarkation days count as full days. And because you board in the afternoon of the first day and disembark first thing in the morning on the last day, a 7-day cruise is really five full days.

That said, our longest is an 18-day Transatlantic, and we have booked a 30-day around the horn cruise for December of this year. My first was a 10-day and it was just perfect.

Enjoy!

Old February 19th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistereks View Post
That said, our longest is an 18-day Transatlantic, and we have booked a 30-day around the horn cruise for December of this year.
The Star, right? Hey, we're going to be aboard, too! Cool!

(Our longest has been 15 days, and I'm really looking to trying a month. So many line dances, so little time.... )
1/06 Westerdam -W. Caribbean * 1/07 Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera * 1/08 Zuiderdam - E. Caribbean * 4/08 Celebrity Mercury - Alaska * 12/09 Crown Princess - W. Caribbean * 8/10 Sea Princess - Alaska * 1/11 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 4/11 Island Princess - Panama full transit * 8/11 Sea Princess - Alaska * 2/12 Grand Princess - E. Caribbean * 4/12 Coral Princess - Panama full transit * 12/12 Star Princess - SFO to Buenos Aires * 4/13 Golden Princess - Hawaii * 10/13 Royal Princess - Venice to FLL * 2/14 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 8/14 Star Princess - Alaska * 7/15 Diamond Princess - Japan

Old February 19th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandB_Toronto View Post
Oh yes -- I too agree that for the first time 7 days is about right. Consider also that you get a somewhat different mix of passengers depending on length, itinerary and ship size. You pretty well have to be retired to go on a very long cruise and some itineraries attract passengers more interested in seeing the world while others draw people wanting only the "cruise experience". Huge ships attract people who are more interested in having fun on the ship, smaller ships attract people who like to get into smaller and unusual ports.

Thanks for this tip. I am wanting to see the world So I will keep this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistereks View Post
Remember that your embarkation and disembarkation days count as full days. And because you board in the afternoon of the first day and disembark first thing in the morning on the last day, a 7-day cruise is really five full days.

Thank you. That is good to know.

Old February 19th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

First cruise 7 days, my longest was 15 days

MySpace-Countdown-Clocks

Old February 19th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'd also suggest 7 as a first cruise. It's long enough for you to know if you're going to like it - if not, and I can't imagine why not - it's no great loss as you'll be in port most days.

My first was 7 nights, my longest was 17 nights but i've jumped off one 14 nighter straight onto another 14 night voyage on another ship the day i disembarked.

The longer the better as far as i'm concerned. I like having sea days when I can relax and enjoy the facilities the ship offers - that's not really possible on a packed one-week itinerary. Longer cruises do mean older (and more eccentric) passengers. Choosing the correct line and ship is as an important decision as length.
May14 | Independence OTS | Ft Lauderdale-Southampton Nov13 | RC Serenade OTS | Barcelona-New Orleans May 13 | RC Mariner OTS | Barcelona-Dubai April/May 12 | RC Voyager OTS | Barcelona-Dubai-Singapore July 11 | Queen Mary 2 | Southampton - Fjords Jan11 | RC Brilliance OTS | Barcelona-Dubai Jan09 | P&O Ventura | Caribbean Sep08 | Celebrity Constellation | Barcelona-New York Nov07 | Celebrity Infinity | Ft Lauderdale-Santiago Oct07 | Carnival Freedom | Rome-Miami May07 | EasyCruiseTwo | Brussels-Amsterdam Nov06 | MSC Armonia | Genoa-Rio de Janeiro Sep05 | MSC Opera | Venice-Istanbul

Old February 19th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Longest was 64 days on HAL from Seattle to Asia, Australia and South Pacific. As you can see by the list of cruises, we worked our way up to it.
Seven days is a good start. Now we think anything under three weeks is too short. I guess we are really hooked.

SEVENTY FIVE SAILINGS FROM 1969 TO JUNE 2014.

CARNIVAL
Spirit
CELEBRITY
Elite Plus Silhouette, Century, Millennium, Infinity, Horizon(3), Zenith, Mercury, Galaxy, Solstice(3), Constellation, Reflection
COSTA Marina
CROWN Monarch, Dynasty
CRYSTAL Harmony
CUNARD (11) QE2 , Vistafjord, QM2, Caronia
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam (Old), Amsterdam, Statendam, Zaandam, Volendam
HURTIGRUTEN Trollfjord
MAJESTY Royal Majesty
MSC Lirica
NCL Breakaway
OCEANIA
Regatta (2)
P&O Oriana (Old)
PRINCESS
Elite Star (Old and New), Royal (Old), Regal, Golden, Sun, Crown
RCI Diamond Freedom, Serenade. Liberty
REGENT Mariner
ROYAL Crown Odyssey
ROYAL VIKING Star
SEABOURN Sun
SILVERSEA Silver Cloud
WINDSTAR Wind Star

UPCOMING CRUISES:

OCEANIA Riviera December 2014
CELEBRITY Silhouette April 2015 TA

Old February 20th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Can't go wrong either way, it's a CRUISE

Our first cruise was a 3 nighter on one of Carnival's older party ships and it STILL got us hooked, miraculously

We've since graduated ourselves to +10 night cruises on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and (if the itinerary is right) NCL.

So, imho, if you'll love cruising, you'll know so immediately, probably the first day. My bf knew after his first jack&coke at the pool bar (and it took me weeks of nagging to get him to come along in the first place) and all the days afterwards on that first cruise are pure bonus.

Of course, in the unlikely case you turn out to be that rare specimen of someone who absolutely hates cruising, all days after the first one may be pure hell as well
Cruise 21: Celebrity Millennium - Tokyo to Hong Kong - 14 nights in October 2015
Cruise 22: Anthem of the Seas - Southern Caribbean from Cape Liberty - 12 nights in April 2016