Forget bringing wine onboard; we want Bailey's!

I really like Bailey's with my morning coffee while on holiday and our plan is to buy a bottle at duty free on the way out of Canada and bring it to the ship to mix with our room service pot of coffee each day. We will pay approximately $21 US per liter for this and I was wondering how that compares with the retail price in Miami? Would it be cheaper to buy it at a discount liquor store there?

You sound like my traveling companions! I think Bailey's is generally for sale on the ship, and you can buy it with the additional $9 charge for probably less than at the duty free store in the airport. So I wouldn't bother smuggling bailey's. Although, you might want some confirmation that they have bailey's in the duty free shop on board ship.

jc

Sometimes we bring on little plastic bottles of Baileys (they are larger than the airplane sized ones); they are great to have in a purse and whip a little into your after dinner coffee or to supplement a glass of Baileys in the solarium!

They do have Baileys on the ship, and when I get a second I will go through my DVD that I made and let you know how much it is. I walked by the shops and noted some prices on my camcorder. Figured they may come in handy. :)

We bought Baileys liters for $11.95 at Rams in St Maarten, but I remember seeing it wasn't much less than on the ship----and not the hassle of buying too many bottles and getting charged duty on them....to bring home...not to drink on the ship.

Sometimes we bring on little plastic bottles of Baileys (they are larger than the airplane sized ones); they are great to have in a purse and whip a little into your after dinner coffee or to supplement a glass of Baileys in the solarium!

We do this, too. We call it our non-dairy creamer! :D

Ya' gotta luv da baileys! I bring some with me (small ones that are easy to pack) and then buy a couple of bottles on board. I can't remember the cost but it is substantially cheaper than I can buy it for at home. Baileys can make even the most terrible coffee taste terriffic and I don't feel one iota guilty for drinking before I shower and get dressed!

I love Bailey's also, and was planning on buying a bottle or two on the ship - they didn't have any!!!!! I was so disappointed!!! They did have the little bottles, so I bought several of them. So be aware they may not have it in the onboard shops.

That was for our last cruise on the Serenade from Hawaii.

I don't feel one iota guilty for drinking before I shower and get dressed!

We were driving to work one day [i was the passenger] and my partner noticed he could smell it in my travel mug. I was concerned that the cops would pull us over for some reason and he was concerned my co-workers would think I was a drunk. I "got rid" of the evidence...

Why not buy a bottle at Duty-Free initially?

If you see a bottle in Miami or on the ship cheaper than what you paid, then pick it up. You will likely see all kinds of deals while on your cruise and in the ports.

We took down a Liqueur (gift), a bottle of Rye, and bottle of Vodka (another gift). We also took 6 bottles of (homemade) wine.

All made it on the ship no problem. No attempt was made to hide anything, and we showed our stateroom attendant also.

When we wanted him to deliver a bottle of wine to our waiter for opening at dinner, we left a bottle out with a post-it not on it.

Everything went 100% smoothly, but of course everyone was tipped well!

We DID drink at the bars during the day, so we only finished off our liqueur in the cabin (with the bad RCI coffee), and brought back the Rye, and Vodka.

If I could have found Clamato juice in the U.S., then the Vodka would have dissapeared too!

While in a couple of the ports we bought several more bottles each to bring back with us.

What you need - lot's of bubble bags, and extra-large zip-lock bags, the heavier the better!!

..and yes, we exceeded our maximim allowable back into Canada, (Ooops, did I just say that?)

The only time we ever brought to much liquor back to Canada, it was an oversight because we forgot about a small bottle of wine a friend gave us. Canada Customs treated us like we were world-class smugglers. I thought we would be fined or strip-searched.

Good for you for being so bold!

Cheers to all you fellow Bailey's lovers. I love it in my coffee or on the rocks.

So let me get this right, do I understand that you can buy Bailey's on board and pay an extra $9 to take the bottle back to your room? That sounds great.

I buy Baileys at Trader Joes for $10 a bottle. Are you getting really large bottles?

We buy it in a bottle that is one litre. I'm sorry that I don't know what that is in American. It would be approx. 4 cups.

Baileys is $16 -quart...32 ounces or 1000ml, here in NY it is $24.

Do you mean it's $16 onboard? After the service fee, that would be more than we could bring it for. If that's the case, then a smugglin' we will go...

The "normal" liquor bottle in the US is 750 ml. Trader Joe's (a hip grocery store mainly in CA) has wonderful bargains on booze that you don't find in many other places.

I've heard of Trader Joe's. It sounds like a magic wonderland...

I love Baileys & coffee, but if your going to the Carribean, look into Cruzan Rum Cream!!

It is super, I think better than Baileys. Don't think you can get on ship, but is avail on shore. Pretty close in price also.

I too love my Bailey's. Usually buy it on board to drink in the cabin. Never known it to be out of stock, and usually cheaper, even with the surcharge.

Had to add this: Recently spent time in Aruba - bartender noticed that I liked pinacoladas in the afternoon by the pool, but switched to Bailey's at night after dinner. He asked me to try an Irish Colado - I thought he was joking. Basically he mixed a pina colada and added a real good sized shot of Baileys - now that was good - don't know if it is a "regular" drink - I had never heard of an Irish Colado, but highly recommend it!!!

Have you ever tried Bailey's and Butterscotch in your coffee? Its like cream and sugar and we love it, I usually mix it in the room in a large cup, bring it down to the dining room and we all share it in our coffee. They also serve a shot called a "French Kiss" on the ship, its has a mixture of Bailey's, Amaretto and white Cream DeCoco (sp?) and we love that in our coffee too!

And the other Amaretto drink someone mentioned earlier is Talea. We like that too. Even if they run out at the onboard shop, go to one of the bars (if you are on a voyager class ship) any of the ones on the promenade usually have Baileys there, and we just order a shot of it on the rocks and bring that to dinner.

Archived