River tubing excursion in Grenada

blueridgemama

• 2 weeks later...
We were also looking into this and would also like some information.

Hi there, We're on the same cruise:):) Hopefully someone will offer some info soon. Are you thinking of the Princess excursion? Only a few more weeks and we can find out for ourselves.:D

My husband and I took the river tubing excursion offered by Celebrity last year when we were in Grenada. If it is anything like the one we took, save your money.

They take a group of 40 or 50 people, you get to tube a short distance and then they hold everyone up (in the sun) while you wait for the rest of the group and then you get to tube a little further and then Wait again. The cruise ship's discription made it sound like it was going to be a rough ride. It was boring and you really didn't get to go very far. You spent most of the time waiting for the rest of the group.

They also told us not to wear sunscreen that we would not need it. (Don't believe them) We were very disapointed in this tour. :mad:

We will be going back to Grenada next January, looking forward to finding something better next time. Hope you have a great Cruise!:D

Judy

We were thinking about booking the Adventure River Tubing tour thorugh Celebrity tonight. Our ship sails on Saturday. Now I'm rethinking this.

Anyone else with an opinion on this tour or river tubing in Grenada? We were planning to spend the morning at Grand Anse beach and then do river tubing at 1:00.

• 1 month later...

We've done the river tubing twice and thought it was fun both times. The water level was fairly high so the current was quite swift. The guys are friendly and try to show you a good time. Just be sure to cover your face when they gather everybody up and start singing. We've also done the river tubing in Dominica which was completely different. In Dominica it's more like a lazy river float, in Grenada you will be going down some small rapids with dips and swirls.

We did not go with the cruise ship excursion and went with a private tour company. We had a great time. I think there was only about ten of us and the staff was always on top of things. Check out the private tours.

• 3 weeks later...

We did the river tubing through Princess in December. It was fair. First, the ride to the other side of the island was long and boring. The experience could have been much better if we didn't have such a huge group, had to wait for people to catch up and if the water levels were a bit higher - lots of scrapes, bumps and bruises. I doubt if I would ever do this shorex again.

Darcy

We did the river tubing last month in Grenada through Princess. I will say that we were fairly disappointed. The time on the river is short and as previous posters have said there is a lot of waiting in the water holding on to a rope while the others catch up. Then you go through a short stretch of rapids and sit and wait again.

I wanted to try Grenada because we had done it in Dominica several times and wanted to compare the two. If your ship does both ports and you want to go river tubing, Dominica is the place to do it. You spend much more time on the river and you don't have to stop and wait. Much more of a lazy river with a few rapids mixed in.

• 2 months later...

We went water tubing several years ago in Grenada. It was quite possibly the worst excursion we have ever been on. We were with another couple and they also agreed. It was a RC excursion and the water was filthy, the equipment was old, filthy and disgusting. We felt the island was pretty disgusting too. In the main part of town there was smelly green slime (raw sewage?) sitting in the gutters. A local said it was due to a drought:eek: We have draughts at home with no smelly green slime in the gutters.

We all agreed that the next time our ship shops there we will stay on board.:eek:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thanks for all the replies. I guess Grenada will be a beach day.

HI Anubi, I'm sorry that there seems to be negative comments on the river tubing. There is a definite difference between ours and Dominica in that the Dominca one is not as reliant on the rainfall as ours. Sounds like a silly statement but their river is very large and it is as one said a lazy river tube. We have a narrow river and the last few years have seen extremely dry seasons and so with little water going int he experience is probably not as thrilling as it could be. I would suggest you call the operator to check on conditions before you leave to see if Grenada is suffering drought again.

As an alternative if you want sightseeing and fun right from your ship you could take a water taxi and laze away the day on the beach or take the Grenada Seafaris Powerboat Adventure tour for a few hours or Shadowfax Sailing for a full day experinece of sightseeing and snorkeling and fun.

We do have a lot to do on island so check out our other options before deciding on our lovely beach.

Whatever you choose I wish you a fabulous day and a wonderful cruise.;)

HI Anubi, I'm sorry that there seems to be negative comments on the river tubing. There is a definite difference between ours and Dominica in that the Dominca one is not as reliant on the rainfall as ours. Sounds like a silly statement but their river is very large and it is as one said a lazy river tube. We have a narrow river and the last few years have seen extremely dry seasons and so with little water going int he experience is probably not as thrilling as it could be. I would suggest you call the operator to check on conditions before you leave to see if Grenada is suffering drought again.

As an alternative if you want sightseeing and fun right from your ship you could take a water taxi and laze away the day on the beach or take the Grenada Seafaris Powerboat Adventure tour for a few hours or Shadowfax Sailing for a full day experinece of sightseeing and snorkeling and fun.

We do have a lot to do on island so check out our other options before deciding on our lovely beach.

Whatever you choose I wish you a fabulous day and a wonderful cruise.;)

Thanks for taking the time to reply and suggest other ideas!! Its very appreciated. :)

Archived