Taxi to Orient Beach?

seaandsea

No you most definitely don't need to take the RCCL excursion. I usually rent a car for about $50 which was comparable to the return taxi fare. It takes about 25 minutes to get to and from Orient and it's not in the busy part of the island so you don't need to worry about traffic jams getting back to the ship.

Lots of places rent chairs at Orient.

It's kind of just a fun place to be, but food tends to be pricey.

Taxi for 1-2 passengers is $18 each way

3-5 people is $7 pp each way

6 + = $6 pp each way

Very easy to catch a taxi to and from Orient.

I would suggest a taxi not renting a car unless you plan on going to more places than Orient Beach. It would not be worth the hassle or the extra money.

We find the end down nearest the clothing optional section of the beach to be cheaper. They usually offer 1$=1E so in the course of a day that can save you a bit of money. Look for a place that throws in a couple of drinks with the chair and umbrella rentals. I really enjoyed Orange Fever the food and service was excellent.

Why are you going to OB? What kind of experience are you expecting? We spent a week there and unless you want a busy, crowded beach I would look at one of the more beautiful beaches on SXM. But if you want to be with the other cruisers and nearby hotel guests that is the prime spot.

Why are you going to OB?

Don't people go to Orient Beach because it's famous and somewhat crowded and a great place to people watch?

We usually spend a couple of hours there and then on to one of the quieter beaches.

...or Maho to watch airplanes.

Don't people go to Orient Beach because it's famous and somewhat crowded and a great place to people watch?

We usually spend a couple of hours there and then on to one of the quieter beaches.

Agree. I wouldn't search it out for a vacation spot but it sure makes for an interesting place to spend a few hours at.

I'm asking why the OP is looking at OB to ensure they are aware of what it's like there. I don't want someone to expect a nice Caribbean beach only to find something else. It's quite a drive/ride for a crowded beach IMHO.

OB and Maho are fine if that's what you're into.

I suggest Mullet Bay right next to Maho Bay so you can catch some landings and then over to the quiet gorgeous beach next door. The only draw back is there are no concessions for drinks over there so you need to bring a cooler or something, but for calm beauty there is no better beach:

167uxoy.jpg

2hhooc7.jpg

I'm asking why the OP is looking at OB to ensure they are aware of what it's like there. I don't want someone to expect a nice Caribbean beach only to find something else. It's quite a drive/ride for a crowded beach IMHO.

OB and Maho are fine if that's what you're into.

The beauty of the beaches on St. Maarten/St. Martin is the variety and personality of each one. While Orient is not your faviorite beach on the island it is however the beach of choice for many. To me it's personality is vibrant, flamboyant, adventurous and fun so when I am in that kind of mood and looking for a beach while visiting the island the obvious choice for me is Orient.

There are times that the seas have not cooperated when I have visited Orient and the surf is up and the seagrass is rolling in and that is when I choose another beach but I have seen Orient in its glory where the shoreline is picture perfect the water a wonderful shade of turquoise and the sand white and powdery. Orient itself has many personalities.

I suggest Mullet Bay right next to Maho Bay so you can catch some landings and then over to the quiet gorgeous beach next door. The only draw back is there are no concessions for drinks over there so you need to bring a cooler or something, but for calm beauty there is no better beach:

167uxoy.jpg

2hhooc7.jpg

Mullet is a beautiful beach and a favorite of mine. Rosie's sells food and drinks and there are chair and umbrella rentals as well over at Mullet. Is the washroom still in deplorable condition though? That has got to be the worst public restroom on the island! Not sure what time your pictures was taken but when I go between the hours of 10 and 4 I find that Mullet is quite a busy beach. It is not packed usually but it is busy.

There was nothing to eat or drink when we went first or second time. The first time was back in 2008 and it had a few people. Second time 2010, always in the morning and hardly any peeps. I never did find the restroom. But still love it! You can snorkel on the left side toward the rocks and find interesting stuff and it's so blue and beautiful and near food back at the shopping area. Glad to hear someone is now there to offer food/drink, now to find the restroom.

Let me add my two cents. Orient Beach is the most famous of the beaches on St Maartin--but, I do not feel it is that special. (not that wide, very crowded) It has lots of action and amenties. It is about two miles long. The clothing optional is way down on one end.

We were there in March and went to Dawn beach. It is on the border between the French and Dutch side. (Chair/umbrella rental + 2 restaurants) There was VERY little parking there and more seaweed than I like. But, we found seaweed at OB when we went there.

There was nothing to eat or drink when we went first or second time. The first time was back in 2008 and it had a few people. Second time 2010, always in the morning and hardly any peeps. I never did find the restroom. But still love it! You can snorkel on the left side toward the rocks and find interesting stuff and it's so blue and beautiful and near food back at the shopping area. Glad to hear someone is now there to offer food/drink, now to find the restroom.

Your pictures are lovely but those new to Mullet should expect a lively beach during the week and an over crowded beach at times on the weekends as this is a very popular beach for the islanders at that time.

There has been someone selling food and drinks for years now at Mullet (not sure if Rosie was there or someone else). The washroom was to the right when facing the water. I think that it is the only structure on the beach, that is unless it's been torn down.

Just got back a couple of weeks ago. Did taxi to Orient Beach, then to Maho to watch the planes.

Well worth it.

OB it's true the closer to clothing optional side the cheaper the chair rental. I think we paid 12.00 for 2 loungers and umbrella and came with 2 small friut concoctions.

Maho Sat at Sunset Beach Bar and downed a couple of buckets of beer ( 15.00 for 6 beers) not bad. Watched the planes land. Again touristy but FUN .

Why are you going to OB? What kind of experience are you expecting? We spent a week there and unless you want a busy, crowded beach I would look at one of the more beautiful beaches on SXM. But if you want to be with the other cruisers and nearby hotel guests that is the prime spot.

What's a more beautiful beach, any suggestions.

What's a more beautiful beach, any suggestions.

I think Mullet, Pinel and Le Gallion but Orient is fun and if the conditions are right I think that it is a beautiful Caribbean beach. Sure it's built up but people know that going in.

Rosie Snack has been there forever.

th_DSCN1228.jpg

(click)

That shot is from 2005, and the structure behind is the restroom.

gary

Rosie Snack has been there forever.

th_DSCN1228.jpg

(click)

That shot is from 2005, and the structure behind is the restroom.

gary

Hi Gary, has the washroom been torn down (yet).? Last week a poster said that there was a port - a-potty at mullet. I don't remember seeing one last summer when we were last at Mullet.

I don't know the exact current status (our Spring trip got diverted to the UK and the Canary Islands) but my understanding is that the old bathroom has been closed and is scheduled to be demolished.

There is supposed to be a Porta-Potty available at a $1 charge.

gary

I don't know the exact current status (our Spring trip got diverted to the UK and the Canary Islands) but my understanding is that the old bathroom has been closed and is scheduled to be demolished.

There is supposed to be a Porta-Potty available at a $1 charge.

gary

Thanks.

Archived