Bonsai Sushi - Carnival's New Sushi Restaurant

YUM!

Sad it is a for-pay place, but if it expands the sushi offering, that is good in my mind.

Likely won't ever go on the Breeze (too big for me), so we'll have to see if it makes it to smaller ships.

This excites me. I love Sushi and I'm happy that the quality is going to be enhanced. I don't mind paying for it. I would much rather be able to pay to upgrade my experience than not to have it at all.

The Breeze is shaping up to be pretty special.

Any Sashimi or is it just California rolls and that processed stuff like on the Liberty (frozen tuna in a blender pressed into shapes)

Take a look at the video. The place is beautiful and it seems like some really good stuff =)

Looks like Carnival is turning into Ncl with more and

more pay to eat places. I find it quite sad.

I respectfully disagree. Rather than taking away from free offerings, this appears to be an expansion of existing offerings (which I will rarely find issue with). It's not like sushi of any quality was being served in the MDR that you now have to pay at the specialty place for. Plus, it was made clear by JH on facebook that the free sushi around dinner time will continue to exist.

I'll be one of the first people to jump on Carnival when I think they do something stupid, but I think this is a good move and I applaud it!

Any Sashimi or is it just California rolls and that processed stuff like on the Liberty (frozen tuna in a blender pressed into shapes)

If I read the menu correct it looks like only Ebi,Sake,Maguro and some Thai white fish??????

I agree.

It may cause me to stop cruising.

We are not getting any value in our cruise fare.

Not getting any value? I find that hard to believe when I see that I am able to book cruise deals priced the same or less than I paid when I started cruising 6 years ago. We can piss and moan all we want about cutbacks but CCLs price point is definitely a vacation value worth considering.

Looks like Carnival is turning into Ncl with more and more pay to eat places.

Carnival continues to add choice.

So did NCL:eek:

And if it works anything new will be pay for. Not a good road for them to go down IMHO.

It's not the best road but something has to be done. Carnival has been cutting back so much it hardly resembles the cruise experience I fell in love with. They also want to keep the fares low. Something has gotta give. I would rather it be like this than to be a cheap cruise with the most barebones of options. Nobody has to purchase anything other than their fare if they don't want to, but some of us need/want more.

I'm definitely looking forward to trying this out! It looks as if they are taking the "easy" way out and offering what I like to call "beginner" sushi. I would have liked to see items like grilled eel and more exotic fishes. I guess beggars can't be choosers and we should feel lucky that Carnival is willing to try this out on Breeze. Here's hoping it's received well and replicated on other ships!

That menu seems to contradict what was said in the video "prices will be $1 or $2"

A California roll is $4...

A Tempura roll $6.

That's about what I pay at home, where my base-food price hasn't already been paid. (I don't mind reasonable upcharges, but I assume they will be less than what I'd pay at land- like the steakhouse, since I've already paid for a portion of the meal.)

Since a California roll USED to be free (but will presumably be removed from the lunch menu once the Punchliner Brunch rolls to all ships) that is disappointing.

The menu is more limited than I expected it would be. I'm not sure this really improves upon the current sushi offerings. And did they really say the free sushi will still be available if there is pay sushi? That seems unlikely.

Carnival does seem to be going towards NCL's model.

That menu seems to contradict what was said in the video "prices will be $1 or $2"

A California roll is $4...

A Tempura roll $6.

That's about what I pay at home, where my base-food price hasn't already been paid. (I don't mind reasonable upcharges, but I assume they will be less than what I'd pay at land- like the steakhouse, since I've already paid for a portion of the meal.)

Since a California roll USED to be free (but will presumably be removed from the lunch menu once the Punchliner Brunch rolls to all ships) that is disappointing.

The menu is more limited than I expected it would be. I'm not sure this really improves upon the current sushi offerings. And did they really say the free sushi will still be available if there is pay sushi? That seems unlikely.

Carnival does seem to be going towards NCL's model.

Not impressive at all. Same for less money on any land based place with much better selection.

No biggie, I have other options at least.

So True

What some people don't seem to get is the free food is still free. What Carnival is adding is choice. Choice, that in the case of the Punchliner Brunch (included) is reducing lines on Lido. You don't have to pay for anything.

I get it. Just that if they find that adding pay stuff works all new things will be pay for.

Slippery slope as they say.

And if it works anything new will be pay for. Not a good road for them to go down IMHO.

Not true. Carnival is also adding additional free venues on Breeze. More choice for all.

Bonsai Sushi is being given prime real estate on a cruise ship. That comes with a price.

Archived