Tipping on excursions

alaskawdw12

I'm not from the States, and here we only tip waiters and bell boys, so please don't flame me or attack me, I'm honostly asking - what do people normally do on excursions? We'll be going only on cruiseline excursions while on the cruise. Do people normally tip the guide? What about the driver in Denali?

And if so - how much do people tip? I've seen some people write that they tip 10% of the cost of the excursion, but that seems crazy to me, esspecially with the price of these excursions. On the other hand, I don't want to stiff anybody or give an offensive tip.

Thanks very much for the advice! :)

I always tip tour operators. I always give Denali shuttle bus drivers $20. I greatly enjoy their commentary and safe driving. :)

Depends what tours? But generally it's in the $10pp range with my flights and boat tours.

We always tip tour operators a reasonable amount, and sometimes we tip tour operators a large amount. Such as the time we went on a shoeshoe hike and the operators helped fish me out of snowdrifts I fell into a couple dozen times. :D

For us it depends on the length of the tour, what kind of tour, etc. We give $5-10 for a half day bus tour per couple. &10-20 for all day tour. $20 if flight seeing or all day boat ,whale watching in Alaska, catamaran in the Carribean. If there is atour quide and a bus driver we will sometimes tip both or tip just the tour quide if it'sclear they will share the tips. For a great experience we will tip more. A boring bus driver/tour guide who barely talks will get less. Do what feels comfortable to you.

I'm not from the States, and here we only tip waiters and bell boys, so please don't flame me or attack me, I'm honostly asking - what do people normally do on excursions? We'll be going only on cruiseline excursions while on the cruise. Do people normally tip the guide? What about the driver in Denali?

And if so - how much do people tip? I've seen some people write that they tip 10% of the cost of the excursion, but that seems crazy to me, esspecially with the price of these excursions. On the other hand, I don't want to stiff anybody or give an offensive tip.

Thanks very much for the advice! :)

As others said it does depend on the tour.

For a cruise line tour I would say $5.00 to $10.00 for each of you in your party who is on the tour.

If you really enjoyed the tour guide and wanted to tip more that is fine and if you didn't tip less.

We also give the driver something.

Keith

Northern Alaska air do a 12 hour fly/drive sightseeing tour out of Fairbanks costing $399. On their tour description page they say: As with other service industries Tips are not required but are used to reward Guides for a job well done. Standard tip amounts for a tour range from $10+ per guest for excellent service to $0 for poor service.

Don't tip more than you are happy with and don't believe what everyone says they pay.

We generally tip $5 pp for 1/2 day excursion and $10 pp for a full day excursion .... and perhaps a little more depending on the tour and how much effort the guide has put into making the tour a real experience. That said, I am often the first off the bus as I have to get DW's wheelchair then wait for her as she waits to be last off and I am always surprised how few people actually do tip or is they do, its a dollar or two.:(

Northern Alaska air do a 12 hour fly/drive sightseeing tour out of Fairbanks costing $399. On their tour description page they say: As with other service industries Tips are not required but are used to reward Guides for a job well done. Standard tip amounts for a tour range from $10+ per guest for excellent service to $0 for poor service.

Don't tip more than you are happy with and don't believe what everyone says they pay.

thanks for posting this!! interesting that the suggested tip is really quite reasonable and much lower than others have said is appropriate!!

Archived