Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:00 PM
5,000+ Club

After we fished our breakfast we took the elevator down to the gangway, it was on deck 3 and you had to go through a long corridor of inside staterooms. A few of the passengers were trying to go the opposite way, my guess is that they were going to go eat breakfast, it was hard for them to get to the elevator.

Then we got to an electric staircase inside the ship, very cool, I loved it. There was one problem with it, at the end of the staircase people pilled up and it could be a little dangerous for those getting off, they had nowhere to go. They had an RCCL employee there guiding people to avoid an injury.

We went through the security check point, I had to take off my glasses and hat and simple as that we where in Haiti. IT WAS HOT!!!!!!!!!!!

That one chair had a cup holder.

They were cleaning or painting that space, you will notice later on what a great job they did.

Last edited by gambee; November 16th, 2012 at 12:01 PM.

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:04 PM
5,000+ Club

Our plan for Labadee was simple. We wanted to go to adrenaline beach, and by we I meant I . Why adrenaline beach? I thought it would be a really cool place to see the people zip-lining and my mom likes when the ocean has some waves. The beaches on the other sides seemed to have waters that are too calm and in addition to that most people seem to frequent that side more. I though we had a better chance at a more relaxing day at adrenaline.

I had no plans on walking in that heat, so we caught one those little tractors and we were on our way. The shuttle stops on all the other beaches first and Adrenaline beach last. That was great for us, because I wanted a short tour of the property.

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:05 PM
5,000+ Club

Here is something that was completely new for both of us and remember my mom spends more time on CC than me. There is another zipline in the Labadee, our guess is that is the practice line for those who are going to the main zip line. The people on it went extremely fast, it looked like a lot of fun.

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:08 PM
5,000+ Club

First stop was barefoot beach

then we passed the kids play area

We never stopped at Neiles(bad spelling I think) beach, that was our second choice to stay.

Next we passed through the main circle, but not stopped.

Next up we drove through the market, let me just something here, this place is HUGE. I never thought it was going to be so big. Most other reviews did not make note of the length of it, I think it took the tractor like 2-3 minutes to go through it. You go all the way up hill and then back down. The bf actually went there and bought of wood pieces that I will show later and he said the environment was extremely stressful. Good thing I never went there. A lot of high pressure sales tactics.

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:11 PM
5,000+ Club

This is the only picture I took of Columbus Cove, we dropped some people there and turned around to drive back to the main circle.

These are on our way back again through the market. Sorry about the fuzzy pictures, but the shuttle kept shaking, it was hard to get a clear shot.

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:12 PM
5,000+ Club

The gates to the main circle.

Next we stopped and we got off, we went through an Arch and headed towards adrenaline beach. In the way we passed the buffet, it was closed at the time and the eating area.

We were very lucky to find a very nice spot under the shade of a palm tree, I am not sure if I have mentioned this before but shade is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT for us. Mom has had skin cancer and I am prone for it as well.

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:51 PM
5,000+ Club

So you might ask if you both are prone to skin cancer why not get a clam shell? Well feel free to look at my review of the ncl sky and you will notice that we hate them. They get SO HOT that you eventually have to leave them, its like a mini sauna in there. We much rather be in the open where the wind can flow freely from all directions cooling you down. We had a great spot and the beach was not crowded at all, it got a little more later on, but overall it was the perfect beach for us.

Just a side note. Make sure you bring cash to tip the chair attendants.

I forgot to mention something, that morning my searched everywhere for our sunscreens, we brought 3 of them, but somehow we lost them all. Maybe at the pool, who knows, we do that from time to time. So the first thing we did once we got off the ship was to purchase a sun screen. If I don't use any I burn horribly. Long story short, we paid $8 for this tinny thing!!! Make sure you bring your own.

Then we started to people watch and enjoy the view. People were already zip-lining.

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:58 PM
5,000+ Club

You can see that my theory of waves was not exactly accurate, that wall pretty much stopped them completely. In any case mom never made use of the water, it was too cold for her.

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Fabulous review.

What a fabulous review, I think it is the best one I have ever read. The details and photos are amazing. Well done.

Old November 16th, 2012, 01:02 PM
5,000+ Club

There where little fish all over the place.

They have beach attendants selling drinks.

Then I went back to our little piece of heaven and started talking to mom about many things. Among them we discussed who gets selected to work there, our guess was that it was all probably based on connections. Some of the chair attendants were making good money that day. We also noticed how RCCL has the clam shells for free, while NCL charges $30 for them and place them horribly crowded in a tinny beach. Thumbs up RCCL.

Later on I took a short nap, after I woke up I was ready for some water. So I left mom with all my electronics, made sure she was awake and headed towards the water. The water was cold, typical Caribbean ocean temperature, the beaches in Ft. Lauderdale get very warm in the summer months, we are spoiled. Once I started walking into the water I noticed how rocky and filled of shells it was. It was very hard to walk in there, a good pair of water shoes are a must in that beach. I am not sure how the other ones are on the other side of the peninsula, but this one was pretty bad. A guy next next to me said somewhat loudly "you figure if they are buying a beach they would buy one with sand in it", he could not had said it more perfectly.

In any case I just wanted to cool down a little, I stayed in there for a few minute and once I noticed my body temperature had gone down I went back to our spot.

Old November 16th, 2012, 01:09 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniebaby View Post
What a fabulous review, I think it is the best one I have ever read. The details and photos are amazing. Well done.
Comments like this from members like you that have been in this forum since 2005 and have under 30 posts mean the world to me. Thank you so much for your support

Old November 16th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

gambee,

Thanks for taking time in writing this wonderful review. Very nice photos.

Question, do you carry your tripod always with you. If not, how do you get these night photos without going blur.

Old November 16th, 2012, 01:17 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycruise2000 View Post
gambee,

Thanks for taking time in writing this wonderful review. Very nice photos.

Question, do you carry your tripod always with you. If not, how do you get these night photos without going blur.
I usually carry the tripod with me after 6pm and I set the timmer of the camera to avoid any movement. In other cases were I left the tripod in the room I set the ISO at 1600 or more and that avoids blur, but that also adds noise to the picture which I hate. That is why I like bringing the tripod with me.

Thanks for joining

Old November 16th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Great review. I'm really enjoying following you along on your journey. The pictures are so vibrant and well done. The Viking Crown was a favorite spot on Oasis and am looking forward to having a few of those Italian Teas there in 2014 on the Allure. Just wondering if you ever made it down tot he jazz club? That was the place for me and my brother on our Oasis cruise. We'd head there every night after dinner... such a relaxing end to the day.

Past Cruises:
Feb. 2006 - Mariner of the Seas, W. Caribbean
Feb. 2010 - Oasis of the Seas, E. Caribbean

Old November 16th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks. Is it not a hassle to carry tripod, setup the tripod etc with so many people moving around.