Epic Full Sailing Question

ufgrad98

We are leaving for the Epic next week and i believe that it is going to be a full (or nearly full) ship. Has anyone sailed on this ship when it has been full and if so, did you feel as though it was jam packed?? Will we be able to find seats at the pool on sea days?

The epic is a huge ship and sailing with all the cabins sold and traveling on a holiday like Christmas or Easter,means many more of the cabins with families will have 3 or 4 passengers, makes a big difference.Having sailed on the epic 3 times previously,once over spring break and my next one for Xmas next week.you can get a deck chair on the pool deck,but not by the pool.eating in the main free dining areas is better early or late.i have also been out on the epic when it was not full that was great,but here I am going out over Christmas on a nearly full sailing,so it's not a dealbreaker just busy sometimes.

I was on the Epic for a very full week. It was the first year Epic sailed and Christmas week. I was surprised how well Epic handled the crowds. Booking specialty restaurants the last night was an issue. Also PLEASE book ALL your shows prior to boarding. On a packed cruise, you have a real chance of being sold out if you dont book in advance.

Posh was packed for us. We could not get chairs at the bar level and had to go upstairs to the noisy engines.

But other than what I mentioned, things flowed pretty good.

I was on the Epic for a very full week. It was the first year Epic sailed and Christmas week. I was surprised how well Epic handled the crowds. Booking specialty restaurants the last night was an issue. Also PLEASE book ALL your shows prior to boarding. On a packed cruise, you have a real chance of being sold out if you dont book in advance.

Posh was packed for us. We could not get chairs at the bar level and had to go upstairs to the noisy engines.

But other than what I mentioned, things flowed pretty good.

If you pre-book, can you change once you're on the ship? So much of our daily lives are scheduled that I really hate to have a schedule on vacation.

We are leaving for the Epic next week and i believe that it is going to be a full (or nearly full) ship. Has anyone sailed on this ship when it has been full and if so, did you feel as though it was jam packed?? Will we be able to find seats at the pool on sea days?

It will be MORE that full. i.e. ship will sail more than double occupancy - the Xmas and New Year weeks are like that.

BUT you'll have a great fun!

We sailed on the Epic med cruise this summer with a reported 5000 passengers on board and you could tell. The pools were so crowded they were often unusable. There were always long lines for the slides. But, even with overcrowded pools, we never had issues getting a lounge chair. The buffet restaurant was complete chaos much of the time. There were waits in main dining rooms at peak times (30-40 minutes was typical but they gave out free champagne while waiting). However, other than that, we encountered no other areas that were that crowded or unpleasant.

I sailed on the Epic with 4000 guests in April 2011. I did the NYE cruise last year with 4800 guests. The extra 800 guests were noticeable. Chair hogs were out in full force. It was tough to find a chair anywhere, not just by the pool. They didn't sell Posh passes for the Christmas and New Year's sailings last year. It was tough to make a reservation for the specialty restaurants. Staff seemed a bit overwhelmed. I did feel it was jam packed, though I still enjoyed the cruise. Have fun. I'm sailing the Epic again in April.

What is the "blue dot system?"

If you put chair hog or blue dot in the search box at the top you will find plenty of info on this. In a nutshell, the blue dot system was started by NCL in an effort to solve the problem of people who come out in their jammies at 6am to plop towels on prime real estate pool chairs and then disappear for hours. Unoccupied chairs secured by towels or other items will be blue dotted and after 45 minutes or so will have the items removed to the towel desk. You can of course come and go to the pool, bathroom, etc for 30 minutes or so with no blue dotting.

Archived