"Hi, I'm *****, your cabin attendant. What can I do for you?"

clcurry

Wow, I never knew so many people want ice :eek:

I just want to remember their names and where they are from, it hasn't occurred to me to ask anything specific.

Maybe towel animals... I haven't really grown up yet :p

Ice in the bucket and we tip at the end of the cruise. They're always more than willing to keep the ice bucket full.

I strongly disagree that they're more likely to keep you happy if you tip at the end.

If you let them know up front that you're a good tipper, they will try to keep you happy for the whole cruise. Why should they go the extra mile only to get a crisp new one dollar bill at the end? I'm not saying that anyone here is cheap, but they don't know that. If there is one extra blanket left and a room that's proven they're good at tipping and one that's waiting for service first both call down for it, guess which one is going to get the blanket?

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong or improper about tipping at the end, but it won't get you BETTER service than the standard.

I just want to remember their names and where they are from, it hasn't occurred to me to ask anything specific.

Maybe towel animals... I haven't really grown up yet :p

You shouldn't have to ask for the animals ... unless you're talking specific ones.

We only ask that they empty the cooler.

Lately, they've been leaving a business card with their names, which helps A LOT with pronunciation.

Our requests are always:

Please separate the bed.

Please keep our small soft sided cooler filled with ice DAILY.

Two wine glasses (they don't always seem to be able to do this).

And we always have to say, "Yes, we know about the do not disturb and the please make up room sign, and will use it all the time."

Twice, we didn't receive a bag when we got all the others(once a big scuba bag and once our small soft sided cooler) and we asked him to help. On both occasions the attendant found our bags.

You shouldn't have to ask for the animals ... unless you're talking specific ones.

We only ask that they empty the cooler.

On our first two cruises we got them every night. Third and fourth only every other night :(

Small things, I know.

I strongly disagree that they're more likely to keep you happy if you tip at the end.

If you let them know up front that you're a good tipper, they will try to keep you happy for the whole cruise. Why should they go the extra mile only to get a crisp new one dollar bill at the end? I'm not saying that anyone here is cheap, but they don't know that. If there is one extra blanket left and a room that's proven they're good at tipping and one that's waiting for service first both call down for it, guess which one is going to get the blanket?

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong or improper about tipping at the end, but it won't get you BETTER service than the standard.

I have only ever tipped at the end, and can't imagine what my cabin attendants could do to be any better! To infer that they don't go the extra mile without being tipped is a disservice to them

To keep my ice bucket full and to empty the fridge. We are pretty easy

I like ice cold water...it's like being in a hotel...first thing I do is fill the ice bucket :)

Ice in the bucket, a few extra bath towels, extra box of tissues. Not much else.

By the way – no need to tip extra for ice the first day or any day. They will gladly provide ice - all you need to do is ask. There is a sign on the dresser to let you know.

We tip the suggest amount - (pre paid ) and sometimes add more at the end.

M

I usually tell them what we'd like when we meet him/her... and then that first night before leaving for dinner, I leave a note repeating the requests along with a $10 bill.

I ask for extra towels everyday, fresh ice in the ice bucket twice a day and that the mini-fridge be emptied.

I've had a couple of cabin attendants stop us in the hallway during our cruise to thank me for leaving them the reminder note... which I figure is code for "thanks for the $10!"

So far, my system has never failed me!

Ann

Interesting question whether to tip the steward before or after.

I have discovered that the right amount of tip can get you whatever you want/need. However, IMHO a tip after is for the "usual and customary". For example: it is the U & C 15-20% tip for a waitier in the US. If I want exceptional service, I will give part of the tip up front and let the server know there is more to come if the service warrants it.

I usually don;t ask for much during the cruise, but an extra $20 the first day gets me great service when I do need something. The standard tip is really not sufficient anyway.:D

Where did I say that? Please re-read my post. Reading comprehension is your friend.

Nowhere did I connect the two.

But, we have always had fabulous service without paying upfront for it.

We ask for a couple of feather pillows and ice. If we haven't already gotten bathrobes and upgraded toiletries we ask if they'll be delivered at turndown (hint, hint).

The only time we tip before the end of the cruise is if we have a party with extra dishes, glasses, etc. that need to be cleaned up. We've seldom had anything other than superb service. I don't know what would be "better" than the standard, but since I'm happy with the service I do get, it does not matter.

Archived