Category E/F question

noodle

We have only had balcony cabins on past cruises, but are considering an E or F category due to price as we all know that this is much more expensive than most mass market cruises. I am conflicted as I do occasionally have a bit of clausterphobia. I know that many choose this level so they can cruise more often but that is not a consideration for us. We will likely not get back to FP for many years to come.

Any recommendations for specific staterooms in the E or F category? Do you think the E level is worth the added cost for the larger window taking into consideration the clausterphobia issue. Or should we just splurge for the balcony which is about $2K more total?

Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I haven't sailed on the PG yet, but I think I can offer some help anyhow.

Up until last year we had always sailed in balcony cabins--actually suites--large ones.

We decided to do a B2B on the WindSurf, and add time in front of and behind the two weeks at sea. Three weeks in Europe was not inexpensive, and the only way we could pull it off was by booking the lowest possible category.

I was apprehensive at best, as I too, suffer from claustrophobia.

I shouldn't have worried.

The cabin was more spacious than I had expected, and to be honest, we spent almost no time in it, other than sleeping and showering. We are assuming that our PG cruise next year will be the same, and have again booked the least expensive cabin.

I know it's not exactly the same, but I hope it helps.

We were upgraded to a balcony last trip, and for us it is not worth the added expense given how little we were out on the balcony. The only difference between category e and f is that the two portholes in the f cabins are replaced by a larger single picture window in the e cabins. We were in and f in 2008 and will be again later this year (as well as 2014 most likely). The money we save is more than enough for some nice pearls and quite a few excursions.

However, neither of us has claustrophobia issues....

John

Noodle, only you can decide that! There are several regulars who make nearly annual ( or more often) trips with the savings from E or F cabins, and are very happy with E windows. Many like the ledge for storage.

We had a balcony and adored it, will not go back without one. But we have some very specific needs that are met by having a balcony...

1- DH is an avid photographer and enjoys having his balcony to get shots at a moments notice.

2- I like to enjoy my balcony before dinner and in the morning in whatever condition I happen to be in at the time, without concern to any dress code required on public decks;)

3- not sure which cruise you are considering, but for the 7 day, most sail aways were at sunset, and many times the next destination was a few hours away. DH and I would often sit on our balcony till we arrived at the next island or until dark, then clean up and go to dinner afterwards, or clean up serially, which allowed us to enjoy each others company and time outdoors.

4- We had no need for bar service while enjoying our balcony- if we wanted beer or wine from our fridge (not usually) we could have it out there, but since we didn't need a bar tender and full bar service, we didn't need to be in a public area.

To us this daily enjoyment of the balcony was like the equivalent of spending $250 dollars per day to have an "excursion" that was like a private sunset cruise each evening. To us it was worth it.

We were fortunate not to be in the position of having to chose to either cruise or not based on the category of the cabin, but I would not think twice about staying in E or F rather than pass up going on PG....it's delightful, no matter what cabin you have and all the cabins go to the exact same place :D

I like the E--the window is nice, although the cabin is identical in all other ways to an F, and some folks love the F, which I believe has two portholes.

In my mind, it's not worth the price to upgrade to a balcony. You will spend very little time in your room! The outdoor spaces on the ship are great, and there are so many activities, both off the ship and on, that you will be fine.

Yes, these cabins are the smallest we've had on a cruise, but they're ample by mass-market standards--200 square feet.

The first time we took the PG, I decided that I'd rather save the money by booking an E so we could go again. And that's the way it's worked out--we've been on the PG for 42 days in total over the years, and most of the time in an E. We did get a cheap upgrade to a balcony on our last trip, to the Marquesas, and were in fact put in a B, which was fabulous. But we did not pay anything near "list" for that cabin. Even at that, we rarely used our balcony, because it was often too hot outside.

Ditto what Wendy said.

We are booked for our 7th sailing this summer and all have been deck 4 window cabins, except the one upgrade we got a couple of years ago.

We SO much prefer going out and about to enjoy our pre-dinner (and other :o ) cocktails. The people (staff and passengers) are our favorite part of a PG cruise.

I love "F". For a typical cruise a balcony is over $1500 per person more! Now everyone should have a balcony the first time through these islands so I would never tell someone not to. But - for me I can afford to go more often staying on the rat deck! I LOVE the ledge!

We just got off the Oceania Regatta and that balcony cabin was smaller than the window cabins on the PG. We have been in a window cabin twice on the PG and having seen the porthole cabin that is where we will be next time. The window or porthole is framed out with a large rectangular inset frame which provides a nice ledge. The cabins are identical in size. The only difference is that one has one pane of glass, the other two decent sized portholes. The balcony cabins are the same size except they have the balcony.

This is a small ship and there are many areas on deck to be for pictures, sail away, etc. I can't see spending the extra $$.

Thanks for all the imput. I think we will book the F and save the money. I hope that by being on vacation (less anxiety) that any clausterphobia will be at bay. We could afford the balcony but then other things in our life would be shortchanged. With young children at home and a dream to own a seaside vacation home, I think the least costly way is what we should do.

Thanks again.

Our family loves the ledge and use to deck 4. If anyone is up early in the morning- coffee at reception. And we don't worry about having a balcony on this ship since there are so many areas you have your own balcony- secret forward area, outside La Palette, pool, and outside La Veranda when not in use. In the day when not too hot I like to sit outside La Veranda (that is my private balcony, nobody and a wrap around deck)

We visited our relatives in Deck 3 last cruise and similar cabin but wasn't familar to us. Also, remember the 3rd passenger only pays air but you have to book deck 4 or higher.

On Tere Moana the cabin was the same size(192 feet) but had a spacious feel due to a different layout and no tub. The tub on PG takes up quite a bit of cabin space.

Archived