Wine & Dine Pkg RATINGS!

KGSB11

For all Oenophiles and non-Oenophiles out there, hopefully this will answer (or at least attempt to answer) a lot of questions about the new wine package...you know which ones, the "How good is the wine?" and the "Is it really worth it?" questions.

I know I was curious after reading some of those posts, so I compiled a list of the wine on the "Sample-Wine&Dine-Menu" available at your local "Pre-Cruise Planner" and I hopped over to my favorite websites for wine and "VOILA!" :D

Side Note: I personally tend to give more emphasis to the description versus the score as everyones' score may vary and I also prefer community ratings versus "professional" ratings as these are more likely the average Joe sitting on the couch drinker. That is why they are ordered that way.

Please feel free to leave comments, questions, suggestions, etc.

So without further adieu... :p

RCI-WineDine-Ratings.pdf

Thank-you very much for this. Must have been a lot of work putting it together.

My only comment is that I still don't know if the Mondavi Cab is Solaire or not. Have not gotten any feedback from anyone using the new package yet.

Thank-you very much for this. Must have been a lot of work putting it together.

My only comment is that I still don't know if the Mondavi Cab is Solaire or not. Have not gotten any feedback from anyone using the new package yet.

From what I have read on these boards, the Mondavi Solaire was from the Paso Robles region in California. The Mondavi listed on the new list says it is from Napa; so I'm fairly confident that is is the flagship Robert Mondavi Winery Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon -- one of (if not THE) best value cabs in my opinion.

From what I have read on these boards, the Mondavi Solaire was from the Paso Robles region in California. The Mondavi listed on the new list says it is from Napa; so I'm fairly confident that is is the flagship Robert Mondavi Winery Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon -- one of (if not THE) best value cabs in my opinion.

I agree that the Napa Mondavi is a great value. What makes me think this is some sort of mistake is that the cost of that wine is $58 on the ship. The 5 bottle price of the wine package is $165, or $33 a bottle. That's a huge savings on that bottle, and much more savings than any other bottle in the package.

Thanks for the effort!

I'm not a real "point hound"; points typically compare wines within a value bracket, so they're very useful for comparing a $15 cab to a $15 cab, for instance. I do find the descriptions very interesting. My wife and I tend to enjoy "adventurous" wines (although we'll both drink a nice sauvignon blanc on a hot afternoon). Those have always seemed lacking on RCI.

(Holland, FWIW, at least used to really highlight their wines. A lot of great Washington State wines, as the're headquartered in Seattle, and a very good onboard sommelier on most ships.)

I agree that the Napa Mondavi is a great value. What makes me think this is some sort of mistake is that the cost of that wine is $58 on the ship. The 5 bottle price of the wine package is $165, or $33 a bottle. That's a huge savings on that bottle, and much more savings than any other bottle in the package.

I assumed that was the benefit from pre-ordering, a "bulk-discount" if you will. In any case, the cheapest I've seen that bottle in a store is $20, so they are still pocketing around 10% excluding the tip which is added on. Not to mention if you consider the amount that is offset when you order less expensive bottles in the pkg ($10 on land).

Thanks for the effort!

I'm not a real "point hound"; points typically compare wines within a value bracket, so they're very useful for comparing a $15 cab to a $15 cab, for instance. I do find the descriptions very interesting. My wife and I tend to enjoy "adventurous" wines (although we'll both drink a nice sauvignon blanc on a hot afternoon). Those have always seemed lacking on RCI.

(Holland, FWIW, at least used to really highlight their wines. A lot of great Washington State wines, as the're headquartered in Seattle, and a very good onboard sommelier on most ships.)

Completely agree with you on the "points". They are too susceptible to variability (how the taster feels at that moment) and too much emphasis is put on the elusive 90+ pointer. I for one cannot tell the difference in quality between an 88, 89 or 90 - I just call 'em goooood :D

On our upcoming November Legend cruise the price has raise.

QTY Price

5 bottles *190.00 USD

7 bottles *250.00 USD

10 bottles *345.00 USD

12 bottles *385.00 USD

When they add the gratuity it is $218.50 for the five bottles.

Bill

On our upcoming November Legend cruise the price has raise.

QTY Price

5 bottles *190.00 USD

7 bottles *250.00 USD

10 bottles *345.00 USD

12 bottles *385.00 USD

When they add the gratuity it is $218.50 for the five bottles.

Bill

That's odd. Our October Legend TA still lists the the packages as 165, 220, 300, and 335. Maybe they are raising the price on Nov 1?

That's odd. Our October Legend TA still lists the the packages as 165, 220, 300, and 335. Maybe they are raising the price on Nov 1?

Could be the cutoff date. Not a huge jump but that is five bucks more per bottle.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 2

Many "thanks" and "your welcomes" to those above.

I figured it was the least I could do with all the information that I have used which others have taken the time to post (reviews, compasses, planning guides, etc). My first small contribution to the CC community; maybe even one day put one together for all wines available onboard :eek:

I hope to update it at minimum once a year to reflect new vintages that are released...until I hear otherwise, I am assuming that RCI is using the most recent vintage of the wine, as I'm sure they purchase as needed and don't have some super secret massive RCI Wine Cellar --- Oh the glory it would be if there was one :D

I just ordered the 5package wine bottle for GOS sailing April 24 and the price was$154 or with tax, $166.75

the 10 bottle (12 was not offered) was $285, or with tax was 304.73

thanks KGS for providing the list..will come in handy!

I just ordered the 5package wine bottle for GOS sailing April 24 and the price was$154 or with tax, $166.75

the 10 bottle (12 was not offered) was $285, or with tax was 304.73

thanks KGS for providing the list..will come in handy!

I appreciate the feedback.

Are you sure the price was $154 before gratuity? The reason I ask is because the $166.75 works out to $145 before 15% gratuity, and the 5 bottle package had been $145 for a while.

Many "thanks" and "your welcomes" to those above.

I figured it was the least I could do with all the information that I have used which others have taken the time to post (reviews, compasses, planning guides, etc). My first small contribution to the CC community; maybe even one day put one together for all wines available onboard :eek:

I hope to update it at minimum once a year to reflect new vintages that are released...until I hear otherwise, I am assuming that RCI is using the most recent vintage of the wine, as I'm sure they purchase as needed and don't have some super secret massive RCI Wine Cellar --- Oh the glory it would be if there was one :D

Not small at all! Thanks for posting all of that for us to review. I have photos of the full wine list, but have been too preoccupied with a new dog in the house to post them...:o

Not small at all! Thanks for posting all of that for us to review. I have photos of the full wine list, but have been too preoccupied with a new dog in the house to post them...:o

Your dog will understand I'm sure! ;)

I appreciate the feedback.

Are you sure the price was $154 before gratuity? The reason I ask is because the $166.75 works out to $145 before 15% gratuity, and the 5 bottle package had been $145 for a while.

Whoops you are right; must be my lack of typing skills:rolleyes:

or at least thats my excuse

l just found in my papers the flyer sent to me on the package pricing and it quotes for 5 - $165 (200 value)

7 - $220 (280 value)

10 - $300 (400 value)

12 - $335 (480 value)

So I guess I got a better deal that the TA's flyer . Sure glad I purchase an extra 10! ha ha No way 5 bottles will get 2 people through 9 nights (we don't drink hard alcohol; thats my reasoning and I'm sticking to it:D

Archived